Umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpiring

stinger wrote:
gringo wrote:
stinger wrote:you be the judge

frees

for against
1st q 4 8

2nd q 5 6

3rd q 8 6

4th q 5 8

totals 22 28

i lost count of the 50 metre calls against us..

Was a nail in the coffin on top of our own crapness

yep...but the four soft umpire assisted goals in the first quarter didn't help....
I have been told off for bagging umpires and so am holding back- they were s***.

doggerel
Club Player

the least of our problems today....

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
lloyd21
Club Player

Do you yourself a favour watch a reply of how many decisions umpire 27 got wrong killed the confidence of some players think you might find the stats will say umpire 27 give 16 frees to bombers tonight to 1. We lost this game at selection table.

But we are not good enough this year just accept it.

Appears Dal santo has very poor all year.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

So Lenny's hair brushes a leg, free kick against.
Simpkin lucky not to have a leg injury, free kick against.

The game is f!@#ed. Run by monkeys. It gets worse every year.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

It was hard to watch tonight, my neutral supporting friend could not believe how one sided it seemed to be… we had a few junk time frees which evened up the figures a little, but in general play we really were shafted.

rymax
Club Player

Meh. You had to know that the umpiring was going to be bad as soon as Ray Chamberlain's name was announced.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Do you yourself a favour watch a reply of how many decisions umpire 27 got wrong killed the confidence of some players think you might find the stats will say umpire 27 give 16 frees to bombers tonight to 1. We lost this game at selection table.

But we are not good enough this year just accept it.

Appears Dal santo has very poor all year.
Didn't see the game - is 27 razor?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
lloyd21
Club Player

Ben Ryan number 27 have feeling he thought it was an Essendon inter club game.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

An absolute joke. That free kick Essendon got for high contact when he dived into one of our player's legs sent me into apoplexy. And don't even get me started about that fifty metre penalty that was given...
I don't think it cost us the game or anything but it certainly balloned the margin out nice and quickly. Watters and Hamill should have a sit down and discuss the frees in their foward fifty too. We have given a lot of them away this year - maybe we aren't doing something right.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What is astounding me this year with umpiring is the soft free kicks being given in front of goal and worse, the inconsistency in paying them.

9-1 against GC resulting in 4.2 to them from frees??? - Id like to see a goal score/free ratio.......is this available?

I think at the least the club needs to voice concerns to Geischen but we wont.

The fwd free kicks are deciding games and ruining the spectacle for sure.

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

A bomber jumped early into backs and didn't get near the ball and no free, there were heaps but the are either on the take or just have no intuition or knowledge of the game.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:A bomber jumped early into backs and didn't get near the ball and no free, there were heaps but the are either on the take or just have no intuition or knowledge of the game.
Im a fair judge at the footy - if its there then pay it for both sides.
Often , I'll simply say "great play" if the opposition do something good....... but with the obvious farcical decisions being paid at present I must say it gets harder each week not to lose interest and at the least feel we arent all playing on the same level playing field.

Nothing is said. Nothing improves and we cant even talk about their performance.

Do something Geischen u useless tw@t.

“Yeah….nah””
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood v Richmond. Richmond 1 free in there forward 5 Collingwood 5

Richmond scored 5 or more goals from frees against us. Rules have changed clearly.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I've given up on them. They are getting worse and new rules aren't helping them. The coin will come down heads one day.

CURLY wrote:Collingwood v Richmond. Richmond 1 free in there forward 5 Collingwood 5

Richmond scored 5 or more goals from frees against us. Rules have changed clearly.
Instead of the weekly umoire rant on here why doesn;t the club invite one of the senior umpires to come and tutor our defenders on how not to infringe.
While they are at it, tell Riewoldt and the world's greatest small forward ever about the boy that cried wolf and we might get some frees in our forward line!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gieshen is the main problem but KB is a good radio host but he's an eccentric old fruit that still lives in 1968. Don't let him make any new rules. How the f*** do you sell this s*** overseas when the rules are non sensical to those who have watched and played it. They are so murky now and so overly officiated that it doesn't make sense. I have taken people from overseas to games and it is seriously weird rules made worse by poor interpretation.

Just play frees that impact the game any penalty should commensurate with the crime. They give kicks on goal when really minor infringements occur then miss the most obvious ones.

Kick in the head- free kick incidental contact in a contest no free. Stupid rules like the sliding one scrap that s***.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
CURLY wrote:Collingwood v Richmond. Richmond 1 free in there forward 5 Collingwood 5

Instead of the weekly umoire rant on here why doesn;t the club invite one of the senior umpires to come and tutor our defenders on how not to infringe.
While they are at it, tell Riewoldt and the world's greatest small forward ever about the boy that cried wolf and we might get some frees in our forward line!
Please Milne cops the worst treatment from umpire I've ever seen a player cop in any level of football. That game against Collingwood last year Milne should have taken the umpires to court.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
stinger
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Gieshen is the main problem but KB is a good radio host but he's an eccentric old fruit that still lives in 1968. Don't let him make any new rules. How the f*** do you sell this s*** overseas when the rules are non sensical to those who have watched and played it. They are so murky now and so overly officiated that it doesn't make sense. I have taken people from overseas to games and it is seriously weird rules made worse by poor interpretation.

Just play frees that impact the game any penalty should commensurate with the crime. They give kicks on goal when really minor infringements occur then miss the most obvious ones.

Kick in the head- free kick incidental contact in a contest no free. Stupid rules like the sliding one scrap that s***.
good sensible post...won't happen in my lifetime but.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Showing this and other games this year to some American friends and the question asked most was "what was that penalty for?" eventually I had to stop trying to explain it because it was ruining the spectacle of the game. After it finished one friend said "Its a good game but the officiating ruins it and makdes it hard to watch and even harder to understand" couldnt have said it better myself

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
stevie
Saintsational Legend

The latest joke is the 'reintroduction' of kicking in danger. Ok, it's always been there but now free kicks are given out for very slight case of it!

Ablett copped one against the other night and was astounded that Westhoff got a free. There was another s*** decision of holding the ball against Harbrow, though not sure if the umpire was unsighted: Westhoff knocked the ball out of Harbrows while he was trying to kick it, creating a fresh air shot, which it he got pinged for holding the ball. The replay clears shows the ball being knocked free...play on.

Had North /Lions on last night. There's no emotion in the game, boring players. Switched it off. The game is a yawn right now

resaintlee
Club Player

Again, I hope the betting mob will be checking into this match. The evening up f.rees late in the game were out on the wing and not much he,lp.
To be fair, I think the bombers had such strength, in many cases, that they were able to fall/dive forward when tackled and bring their opponent down into their back drawing a free.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Whatever we're doing wrong, the Blues are doing it as well.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_t ... e=DT&sby=8

Hawks +15
Eagles +11
Port +10
Dogs +8
Dees +5
North +5
Tiges +4
Bombers +3
Cats +2
GWS +1
Crows +0
Pies -1
Dockers -2
GCS -5
Lions -9
Swans -9
Blues -19
Saints -19

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

druggies got six free kicks in a row in the first quarter. jobsagoodin by that point.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
stinger
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:Again, I hope the betting mob will be checking into this match. The evening up f.rees late in the game were out on the wing and not much he,lp.
To be fair, I think the bombers had such strength, in many cases, that they were able to fall/dive forward when tackled and bring their opponent down into their back drawing a free.
with betting on the game how it is...i no longer believe that umpires are impartial and have nothing to gain by influencing the result of a game.......and i really mean that...those stats above confirm my beliefs...what they don't show is how many of those frees against us were in the forward 50 and resulted in goals......15...20.????..i don't know...i've lost count.....

the differential between us and the hawks is 34...or two extra above average footballers.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:Whatever we're doing wrong, the Blues are doing it as well.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_t ... e=DT&sby=8

Hawks +15
Eagles +11
Port +10
Dogs +8
Dees +5
North +5
Tiges +4
Bombers +3
Cats +2
GWS +1
Crows +0
Pies -1
Dockers -2
GCS -5
Lions -9
Swans -9
Blues -19
Saints -19
Bombers leading the kicks, handballs, marks, goals & tackles… it's like they're on another level. :roll: