Fish & Dempster

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

paddy
Club Player

Fish & Dempster

As much as I am happy they are back in the squad, Fish has looked a little out of sorts so far, and Dempster clearly was struggling to play with his hand...

Quite a few times Dempster fumbled/dropped marks he would ordinarily clunk, I am just concerned that they are still carrying injuries, and would prefer for them to sit out a week and get better than lose them for 6...

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fish & Dempster

Fish had an interrupted pre season, I'd say he's still catching up on match fitness.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

They have both been poor so far this year. Both look slow, unfit and lacking confidence. Those two will need to turn thinhs around soon if we're going to win more than a few games this year.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It'll be a few more weeks before they get to heir 2012 fitness levels.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Would never in a million years have thought that Stanley, Gilbert and Gears were holding up our defence thus year, while Dempster and Chips are struggling and Head or Sipp cant get a game! wtf is going on?!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

St Ick wrote:Would never in a million years have thought that Stanley, Gilbert and Gears were holding up our defence thus year, while Dempster and Chips are struggling and Head or Sipp cant get a game! wtf is going on?!
I think you'll find Simpkin was out because of the short turn around, and I am pretty sure by now that Sippa has to have a niggle that we don't know about.

Chips had an interrupted pre-season and it shows, and Dempster was clearly hampered by the hand/wrist injury. Saw him drop a mark at one stage that my 9 year old daughter would have held...

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

had average pre seasons and injuries at the start of season as well

give em a break
its not b grade out in the whoop whoop

takes a while to get any sort of fitness and pace to get up to this standard after having a niggle let alone an injury

35...LEGEND
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:It'll be a few more weeks before they get to heir 2012 fitness levels.

Any way of speeding up that process ?? 8-)

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

35...LEGEND wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:It'll be a few more weeks before they get to heir 2012 fitness levels.

Any way of speeding up that process ?? 8-)
give essendope a call.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

We need some leadership down back. We seem to be unsure of matchups and positioning. The loss of BJ has probably left a bigger hole than we expected with this regard, even though he hadn't played down back as much over the last couple of seasons.

Gears needs to be the man, take charge of the back six as a single unit. I know he's only new to the leadership caper (in an official sense anyway) but he's the guy most likely IMO.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sean has one hand twice the size of the other.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I thought that Fisher did some nice things at times, including a few marks, particularly body positioning against Goodes in a marking contest. Goodes didn't do a lot, so you need to credit Fisher with a lot of that. Chips simply needs a few games to get back into his groove.

I was surprised that Dempster even played. Short on match-fitness and playing with a still very doubtful hand, we can't expect much more in his first game back - especially such a closed up/heavy traffic game.

paddy
Club Player

Special Mention to Stanley, for doing a great job in defence....

He spent alot of time with Goodes, which wasn't really seen, as he kept Goodes out of the game.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

paddy wrote:Special Mention to Stanley, for doing a great job in defence....

He spent alot of time with Goodes, which wasn't really seen, as he kept Goodes out of the game.
Actually Stanley to me is looking a very natural defender. Has the knack for getting a hand on the ball, and I've noticed already that if he knows he is going to ground he automatically looks to knock the ball to a teammates advantage. Good reach and he uses it well.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

Actually Stanley to me is looking a very natural defender. Has the knack for getting a hand on the ball, and I've noticed already that if he knows he is going to ground he automatically looks to knock the ball to a teammates advantage. Good reach and he uses it well.

He does look good but the only thing he does need to get out of his game is the going to ground. That is a big no no for a defender. I like him there though. Looks like I got it completely wrong from his days at CHB for Sandy.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

Had 10 X 1%ers as well, which would please the coach.

Falling over is just something the commentators highlighted, I'll reserve judgement that it's something in his game when I see him make a habit of it on a dry deck.

StGoddard18
Club Player

I noticed a couple of times he spoilt the ball with two fists, when he gets his confidence up hopefully he can clunk those instead of spoiling.

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
Marcus1232
Club Player

was at the family day today in wellington

Dempster - hand was still strapped up there is no way in hell he is 100% fit he was struggling to sign autographs

Stanley - Said he is loving down back and feeling he is playing his best footy

Kosi - Was happy to do the Saturday Night Fever Stance with a bunch of kids :P

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Marcus1232 wrote:was at the family day today in wellington

Dempster - hand was still strapped up there is no way in hell he is 100% fit he was struggling to sign autographs

Stanley - Said he is loving down back and feeling he is playing his best footy

Kosi - Was happy to do the Saturday Night Fever Stance with a bunch of kids :P
Thanks Marcus. Stanley has been the bolter this year hasn't he. I hope Dempster isn't risking long term issues by coming back to early...as it would seem.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Roberton is the Bolter- he's held up our defence along with Stanley and who ever has been in the team at the time.