Tom Curren

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

paddy
Club Player

Tom Curren

Just wondering if anyone knows why Curren isn't getting a sniff for elevation?

We have Gilbo Baggins on the LTI list, and still have a spot available from Markworth...

while we may not necessarily have a spot for him to play, he is consistently in Sandy's best, and he is a little nuggety tank...

did he run over SWs cat?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom Curren

He's certainly done more than Saunders, Murdoch, Newnes and Webster at VFL level. Though so has Ledger, and he can't even get an emergency spot with Lenny out.

Curren, Ledger and Ray appear to be the three who Watters just doesn't rate for whatever reason.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:He's certainly done more than Saunders, Murdoch, Newnes and Webster at VFL level. Though so has Ledger, and he can't even get an emergency spot with Lenny out.

Curren, Ledger and Ray appear to be the three who Watters just doesn't rate for whatever reason.

Id say for the reason that is constantly mentioned on here. Their disposal isnt good enough. We cant have it both ways. We wnt guys who can use it but we wnt to play everyone even if they cant and then people say the coach got it wrong.

busso mick
Club Player

Maybe coincidence but we got rid of Tom Lynch, Tom Walsh and Tom Simpkin and Tom Ledger can't get a game at the moment. Maybe he should follow Beau Maister's lead and change his name?

PS - Tom Hickey just got recalled so there goes that theory.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

in fairness, Ray hasn't has had a few goes and failed to put his stamp on his position in SW's reign

I dare say that he may be done

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

I don't think Curren is of AFL quality. He doesn't have sufficient pace and his kicking isn't precise or penetrating enough. To me, Minchington looks more likely than Curren although there's no point elevating for the sake of it.

Saintersss
Club Player

skeptic wrote:in fairness, Ray hasn't has had a few goes and failed to put his stamp on his position in SW's reign

Makes you wonder why we didn't just trade him last year then when Melbourne were interested.

It was obvious he wasn't going to get a go this year and most kids would be given selection over him, yet instead of getting at least a little bit of value for him, St Kilda decide to hold onto him and just play him in the VFL. Will probably get nothing for him at the end of this year.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:
skeptic wrote:in fairness, Ray hasn't has had a few goes and failed to put his stamp on his position in SW's reign

Makes you wonder why we didn't just trade him last year then when Melbourne were interested.

It was obvious he wasn't going to get a go this year and most kids would be given selection over him, yet instead of getting at least a little bit of value for him, St Kilda decide to hold onto him and just play him in the VFL. Will probably get nothing for him at the end of this year.
They wouldn't give us Frawley.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Tom Curren would get murdered at AFL level at the moment. Let him play another half dozen VFL games and see where he's at.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Is he any chance he will debut in the next couple weeks?

He is constantly getting around the 30 disposal mark at VFL level.

Is it just his kicking that's stopping him from playing at AFL level?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Is it just his kicking that's stopping him from playing at AFL level?

Heard a rumour he banged Scotty's missus.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
kos
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Tom Curren would get murdered at AFL level at the moment. Let him play another half dozen VFL games and see where he's at.
He's had 2 years, and won the bnf ahead of cockie and co. Can't see what another 6 games is going to do.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
LTN16 wrote:Is it just his kicking that's stopping him from playing at AFL level?

Heard a rumour he banged Scotty's missus.
That's Saint4life stuff!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I've seen Curren play live once this year and that was against the Northern Blues. In that game Sandy came back from about 5 goals down 1/2 way through the 3rd Quarter to win by 11 points. Tommy had a pretty quiet 1st half but was fantastic in the 2nd half !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I've seen Curren play live once this year and that was against the Northern Blues. In that game Sandy came back from about 5 goals down 1/2 way through the 3rd Quarter to win by 11 points. Tommy had a pretty quiet 1st half but was fantastic in the 2nd half !!
How was his disposal?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Scott watters said on afl 360 the other night that we would debut about another 4 or 5 players before the end of the year.

I'm guessing they would be curren, shenton, white, minchington, ferguson ??

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Eastern wrote:I've seen Curren play live once this year and that was against the Northern Blues. In that game Sandy came back from about 5 goals down 1/2 way through the 3rd Quarter to win by 11 points. Tommy had a pretty quiet 1st half but was fantastic in the 2nd half !!
How was his disposal?
Kicked the "sealer" around his body late in the game. Apart from that, a bit up and down. Some good & some not so good

And, you're trying to get me to ACCURATELY & FULLY REMEMBER that far back????????? I'm getting OLD, ya know !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
How was his disposal?
Kicked the "sealer" around his body late in the game. Apart from that, a bit up and down. Some good & some not so good

And, you're trying to get me to ACCURATELY & FULLY REMEMBER that far back????????? I'm getting OLD, ya know !!
Stay off the piss.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
noob
Club Player

His a clearance player from what I've seen. That's something we severely lack in. Has speed to play in the forward too if needed.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:His a clearance player from what I've seen. That's something we severely lack in. Has speed to play in the forward too if needed.
It's "he is" or "he's" never "his", unless you're talking about something that belongs to him.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Scott watters said on afl 360 the other night that we would debut about another 4 or 5 players before the end of the year.

I don't think it's possible for us to debut four rookies. We've got one or two LTI spots available at the moment if we want them, and there's the mid-season free rookie spot - two rookies, maybe three at the outside. Shenton has to get a game if he's any chance of staying, because he's 24 at the start of next year. Curren will be 21 in a couple of months so I'd think we need to see him one way or the other. I suppose Ferguson is the other who's vaguely likely but we just don't have a spot for him at the moment.

And then there's only four on the senior list who haven't debuted - Markworth, White, Lever and Pierce. White obviously gets some games, but Markworth won't be recovered in time, and Pierce surely won't get a game, he's not even 19 yet and ridiculously skinny. So given what Watters said, maybe they'll blood Lever just to see how he looks at the higher level.

So maybe White, Shenton, Curren, Lever?

damienc
Club Player

busso mick wrote:Maybe coincidence but we got rid of Tom Lynch, Tom Walsh and Tom Simpkin and Tom Ledger can't get a game at the moment. Maybe he should follow Beau Maister's lead and change his name?

PS - Tom Hickey just got recalled so there goes that theory.
You are a funny man. Like this a lot

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:
LTN16 wrote:Scott watters said on afl 360 the other night that we would debut about another 4 or 5 players before the end of the year.

I don't think it's possible for us to debut four rookies. We've got one or two LTI spots available at the moment if we want them, and there's the mid-season free rookie spot - two rookies, maybe three at the outside. Shenton has to get a game if he's any chance of staying, because he's 24 at the start of next year. Curren will be 21 in a couple of months so I'd think we need to see him one way or the other. I suppose Ferguson is the other who's vaguely likely but we just don't have a spot for him at the moment.

And then there's only four on the senior list who haven't debuted - Markworth, White, Lever and Pierce. White obviously gets some games, but Markworth won't be recovered in time, and Pierce surely won't get a game, he's not even 19 yet and ridiculously skinny. So given what Watters said, maybe they'll blood Lever just to see how he looks at the higher level.

Yeah that sounds about right. Could only see about 3 really making there debut's in Curren, Shenton and White. Others look to far off.

Curren should come in for lenny this week IMO. Like for like both clearance type players.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:

Yeah that sounds about right. Could only see about 3 really making there debut's in Curren, Shenton and White. Others look to far off.

Curren should come in for lenny this week IMO. Like for like both clearance type players.