That's why we go to the footy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

That's why we go to the footy

It will be a long year in some respects. But every now and then a game like last night comes along and we surprise a big club who is more fancied.

Last year I missed it. Told myself that I had work the next day, school night etc etc. This year, I made the effort. Sore throat this morning but a grin a mile wide to go with it.

We have some deficiencies for sure. I mean if Roo isn't firing, we just don't seem capable of scoring goals. Milney has disappeared, and Saad and Milera float in and out of the game. We should have won that game by 10 goals last night. We should have been 10 goals up at 3/4 time. However it was great just being there and watching us win a game live.

Hope those at home watching it, felt like I did last year and get along next year. there is nothing better to me than beating CARLTON

philtee
Club Player

Re: That's why we go to the footy

Enjoyed it immensely...especially M. Malthouse doing an irate Basil Fawlty impression.

Still a way to go for this side - work rate and defensive pressure in first 3/4 were outstanding and a credit to
the players and coaching staff. But the downside - too many passes not hitting targets, some silly frees still
being given away, and it seemed the whole side tired badly by the start of last quarter.
If we had been playing one of the five top sides all of the mistakes would have cost us dearly. But the standard
for hard work, established in the Sydney game, has been continued, and the Saints have won back a
little RESPECT.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yes, glad we went.

Had a feeling, and didn't want to miss our second win.

I care not if the football world thinks we 'fell over the line' and will fall over the line any day.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I care not if the football world thinks we 'fell over the line' and will fall over the line any day.
Yeah there's probably a few Demon fans who would settle for a "line-faller" at the moment :wink:

oh when the
Club Player

we won the game when the game was there to be won with
good no panic controlled strong tackling football
the media can write it anyway they want

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

philtee wrote:Enjoyed it immensely...especially M. Malthouse doing an irate Basil Fawlty impression.

Still a way to go for this side - work rate and defensive pressure in first 3/4 were outstanding and a credit to
the players and coaching staff. But the downside - too many passes not hitting targets, some silly frees still
being given away, and it seemed the whole side tired badly by the start of last quarter.
If we had been playing one of the five top sides all of the mistakes would have cost us dearly. But the standard
for hard work, established in the Sydney game, has been continued, and the Saints have won back a
little RESPECT.
I won't mind one bit if we tire in the last quarter and lose games because of it. If I see the intensity, work rate and young guys that have three games to their name taking the game on and breaking lines then I will be satisfied for the short term.

Incidentally even KB on SEN this morning commented on the hardness at which SW has got the team playing. Of coarse they will tire in the last. It's happened the last three games but hasn't everyone just loved the way the team has played in those three games. It was suicidal after the first 4 rounds and the biggest bitch was the players weren't bringing effort and intensity. So all credit to the team for the way they have played in the last three rounds.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Yeh that was great, everyone I normally go with pulled out and regretted it then we won! I have been to every game in Melbourne so far this year and that is the reason I go! It's just a great feeling having a win!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
saintkellerm
Club Player

I was lucky enough to go to both wins (so far) this year for the Saints and enjoyed singing the song with gusto, as I think it might be hard for me to go to many games this year...overseas...blahblahblah. Also been to two losses, really felt that we were nearly there and could have won against Sydney and Collingwood, just couldn't finish it off, but last night we did. No matter how you win, a win is a win and I am so glad I am lucky enough to live in the city so it was not far to go home and back to work this morning. I was so excited I couldn't sleep, I taped the game and started watching it again last night...but then fell asleep...will be watching the full replay tonight :D

paulski
Club Player

And hats off to the Saints supporters who rocked up last night, we were noisy!

It's amazing what 6 rounds of frustration can do to supporters! Haven't seen them get that into a game for a while.

I suppose we've been a bit spoilt with our win/loss ratio over the decade. Losing = more emotional wins.

I know i can hardly talk today! :D

Moods
Saintsational Legend

paulski wrote:And hats off to the Saints supporters who rocked up last night, we were noisy!

It's amazing what 6 rounds of frustration can do to supporters! Haven't seen them get that into a game for a while.

I suppose we've been a bit spoilt with our win/loss ratio over the decade. Losing = more emotional wins.

I know i can hardly talk today! :D
EXACTLY!

I heard the members up and about on our wing, and it got me excited. Me and my mate thought 'stuff it' and we left our seats where we were surrounded by blues fans and went and stood behind 'our crew.' Was a ripper night.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We were well outnumbered by Blues fans who would've been a lot noisier than us had they played more than 20 minutes of footy for the night :lol: :cool:

Last year I missed going as our third child was to be born the following day by scheduled C-section, so I watched on Telly. But was there last night - even though the cheeky little bugger who turns 1 tomorrow kept us awake for 3 hours the night prior!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thefatdork
Club Player

Yep - was there with the crew and BOY, WERE WE HAPPY!!
Still nursing a sore throat today.
Took along a Pommie mate - now a keen Sainter too after last night!
Great effort.
TFD

PaytonPlace
Club Player

I've got my Saints jumper on today at work most proudly (well it's always worn proudly, but you know what I mean!)

The lift in how flat I was after THEY beat us to this week has been terrific

Especially the gurus of Malthouse I know who were so sure they were certain to succeed and had themselves already winning 8 in a row to get back on track, before they've even won 4 in the row...

You can listen to Bristle tell you Carlton are still a massive chance at 28 points down with two minutes to go, you can listen to him tell you all about Lorne, or you can watch a monkey on a pushbike...I know which I prefer...