Players to target at the end of the season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Players to target at the end of the season

Chris Dawes?

:mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
noob
Club Player

Any realistic options from GWS or Gold Coast we could look at?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

When in form thomas is an animal. great defnsively and offensively. may as well chuck in an offer. wont cost us a pick.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:When in form thomas is an animal. great defnsively and offensively. may as well chuck in an offer. wont cost us a pick.

May cost us a player though in 3 years time when it will be the right time to get 26 year old players.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:When in form thomas is an animal. great defnsively and offensively. may as well chuck in an offer. wont cost us a pick.

Exactly. Some on here like having an opinion on other teams players without actually watching them play.

Obviously judging him by his looks.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Its a fine line p66. We put in an offer that doesnt cripple our cap but satisfies thomas.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We don't have to pay him overs if Collingwood can't even satisfy his worth....

Worth 500k is A Grade

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Its a fine line p66. We put in an offer that doesnt cripple our cap but satisfies thomas.

Well that would be at least 600k. That maybe fine for the next year or two but maybe it wont in 3 years time when we really need a 26 year old mid. I would see us like Port are now in 3 years time. On the way up instead of on the way down.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Its a fine line p66. We put in an offer that doesnt cripple our cap but satisfies thomas.

Well that would be at least 600k. That maybe fine for the next year or two but maybe it wont in 3 years time when we really need a 26 year old mid. I would see us like Port are now in 3 years time. On the way up instead of on the way down.
And that would be a consideration. It's possible (hypothetically of course) we pay Thomas 1.4M over 2 two years and 400k in the 3rd year.

I think Thomas is highly underrated on this forum. IMO a fit Thomas has the tenacity of Hamill and the running power of Rob Harvey. He would be in the top few outside mids in the competition and has the flexibility to play back, forward and midfield.

And before people bring up the fact we moved on Goddard so why sign on Thomas...

BJ wanted 4 years and I reckon we would offer Thomas 3.

Thomas is a little younger and we 'may' be 1-2 years ahead of our projected 'rejuvenation' when me parted with BJ.

BJ was primarily of back flanker which we have in abundance. Thomas a quick, outside runner which we are lacking.

We don't know about BJ's overall fitness....And attitude.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

noob wrote:Any realistic options from GWS or Gold Coast we could look at?
Matt Buntine was drafted high by GWS in 2011 from Dandenong Stingrays. He'd be at the end of his initial 2 year contract soon and is a local boy. Whether he can play or not, not sure?? Anyone know anythign about him?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:
Matt Buntine was drafted high by GWS in 2011 from Dandenong Stingrays. He'd be at the end of his initial 2 year contract soon and is a local boy. Whether he can play or not, not sure?? Anyone know anythign about him?
Can definitely play. Barracked for the Saints not that it's worth anything at all.

He's happy in Sydney and signed a contract extension a while ago. Had a punctured lung from a preseason game so hasn't been playing but he played his first game back a couple of weeks ago in the 2s.

Good player though, as tough as they come and hits targets. He's a leader too, always has been.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:
Heidelberg_Saint wrote:
Can definitely play. Barracked for the Saints not that it's worth anything at all.

He's happy in Sydney and signed a contract extension a while ago. Had a punctured lung from a preseason game so hasn't been playing but he played his first game back a couple of weeks ago in the 2s.

Good player though, as tough as they come and hits targets. He's a leader too, always has been.
Thanks #1G.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And that would be a consideration. It's possible (hypothetically of course) we pay Thomas 1.4M over 2 two years and 400k in the 3rd year.

I think Thomas is highly underrated on this forum. IMO a fit Thomas has the tenacity of Hamill and the running power of Rob Harvey. He would be in the top few outside mids in the competition and has the flexibility to play back, forward and midfield.

And before people bring up the fact we moved on Goddard so why sign on Thomas...

BJ wanted 4 years and I reckon we would offer Thomas 3.

Thomas is a little younger and we 'may' be 1-2 years ahead of our projected 'rejuvenation' when me parted with BJ.

BJ was primarily of back flanker which we have in abundance. Thomas a quick, outside runner which we are lacking.

We don't know about BJ's overall fitness....And attitude.

100% agree we actually have quite a few potential inside mid options with even guys like Ledger and murdoch etc ready to take a role if needed. Outside run is what we lack now. It looks like Wright is taking a backline runner role so we don't get him in the middle. Milera is probably the only obvious one that could potentially move in.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

774 were having a convo pre game today and stated there are a whole bunch of GWS first round dps not getting a game and others feeling like the place is going nowhere.

Reckoned they will be looking for a G.Ablett type leader and a few other mature aged stars.

There could be an abundance of hungry first rounders with 2 years of being in then AFl system going cheap at years end.

I am sure savvy operators like Pelchan and Watters know this.

We will be cashed up, and in the market.

If things work out, I cant see us doing a Doggies or Melbourne. We may bounce back to finals in another couple of seasons.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
spot on
Club Player

I'd be happy to part ways with our first pick for some quality midfielders , young ready made players that won't let us fall to the bottom if latter
Maybe pick 4-7 for the following
Sloane and a pick or Sam keirnage. Throw in milera if needed
Prestia and second round pick, Rory Thomson would be awesome but won't happen
Taylor Adams and nick Hayes / second rounder
Polec and a pick( former pick 5)
Dan rich and prob a later pick( 3rd round)
Luke Parker and a second rounder
Andrew gaff / Luke sheuy maybe under contract
All theses other players are uncontracted I believe

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I agree with JB, GWS will be looking for experience and will have a lot of disillusioned talented early draft picks looking to go home, or too something resembling a real football club.
CJ would be a good pick up for GWS, yes lacks skill, but can get the ball and is hard bodied, which will tick at least two of three boxes GWS will be looking for.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.