Tonights positives

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tonights positives

Freebird wrote:We have many lazy players in the side and I'm concerned that playing our developing players with them will foster a bad culture.
We have to weed out the players that stand back and want the easy ball
Yes but he's the leading goalkicker at Docklands.
and best small forward ever!! :oops:

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:We have many lazy players in the side and I'm concerned that playing our developing players with them will foster a bad culture.
We have to weed out the players that stand back and want the easy ball
Another dill that cant read.

Piss off jacking the thread, post your negative generalisations on one of the thousand other threads when people are b!tching and moaning.

Another troll.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Buckets
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
Buckets wrote:JB the most disappointing aspect of the game wasn't the kids it was the older brigade.

They didn't look as if they wanted it at all.

Will agree with you on the positives though but gee doesn't feel like much right now :(
Fair enough, but lets try and look at the the positives Buckets. Can understand how you feel, but tevery other thread on the board is full of angst.

Though Sipposs tried hard.

Stanley showed a bit more tonight than over the past few weeks.

That's fair JB the positives was the young kids still played their role which is something to use going forward.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Stanley was well beaten

bigred
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Jack Newnes still has his jaw plated and screwd after the neanderthal Brogan smashed his face in.

To come back as a kid asd get better and better is a real positive.

Hope young Wright can do the same.
We missed Wright, and that's saying something a few games in
Absolutely.

Roberton is the find of the season. He is a gun in the making.

We are going to have these inconsistent performances for a while. Frustrating as it may be.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Seb Ross has been a big positive.
He just keeps hitting targets. As does Webster.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Not too many but there were some.

Newnes - a very good game especially the first half. Faded in the second

Roberton - again in our best. A real gem of a find

Jimmy Gwilt - getting back to his best

Jack Steven - down a bit but getting more consistant

Roo

Jimmy Webster - one of the few who didn't miss a target.

OK we got towelled - but remember where we are at. A lot of kids who will be inconsistant.

Put it behind us and move on.

Got plenty to work with and we are not a lost cause.
Pretty much agree with all of this.

It's gonna be a long bumpy ride. No point getting too down today when it's quite likely to be exact opposite next Saturday.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon one of the biggest positives is how often guys like Newnes, Ross, Webster, Roberton hit the target by foot. They're all above average users of the footy and as young players that's really promising. Footskills are absolutely critical so it's nice to be building a team of young blokes who hit targets.

spert
Saintsational Legend

No real positives today- a poor team effort, midfield ordinary, as were the forwards who didn't want to take the game on.. too many just doing enough and not busting their guts in contests.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually thought Milne did his job, and tried hard, a little unlucky with some kicks paid against him. He is the only small forward who was prepared to go and get the ball outside our forward 50.
The kids though we're the bright light, let's hope next week they can have a chance to show a bit more against similar sized opponents.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Reckon one of the biggest positives is how often guys like Newnes, Ross, Webster, Roberton hit the target by foot. They're all above average users of the footy and as young players that's really promising. Footskills are absolutely critical so it's nice to be building a team of young blokes who hit targets.
yep, thats the sort of thing you have to look for when going to games in these times.

Its about what tomorrow looks like and as long as skill wise thats improving from today we are heading in the right direction.

“Yeah….nah””
Griggsy
SS Life Member

As said Roberton is huge. Even after a fumble he is calm enough to pick it up, and then has the guts to run it out 20 meters before disposing.

Gwilt is fantastic, and feel he will get better.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

My take.

Good:
Steven
Ray linked up well
Roberton
Geary love the guy
Gwilt mentally a step ahead of a lot of guys
Ross smart footballer, imagine in two or three years when he's regularly getting 30 touches.

Poor:
Dal Santo cruising, often behind his opponent, not running hard enough
Saad effort there, but really off it in the first half
McEvoy ok but I think spanked in the ruck
Dempster couldn't hit a target
Hickey couldn't hit a target
Milera needs to find more of it
Milne can't take a chest mark
Stanley still learning down back
Siposs very frustrating night. Firstly, wear long studs ffs. When he came on forward, he doesn't lead long enough. Needs to take a leaf from Roo. Then he was shifted back, I put my head in my hands. He's not a backman, don't do it again Scotty.)
Armo needs to get more of it

My first live game for the year, so it's nice to see how the guys are working (or not) off the ball. Bad decision making going forward. Often Geary would be all alone running forward through the middle. Our guys either didn't see him, of miss kicked it by a mile and didn't get anywhere near him. Many times kicked over heads. Forward positioning and leading awful. It makes our decision making look worse kicking high to pockets, but that's where our forwards want the ball. Spanked in the middle too. Didn't take our chances from the set shots early. I could tell when they came out after half time in the warm up they looked flat. Bizarre. Maybe the short break and young bodies couldn't match the Crows fat midfielders. I think we were on top in the first half. I've said it before, I don't think there's room for Milne, Saad and Milera. When in form I'd choose Saad.
The story of the year so far is how rubbish the forward line is. Nothing working, sack the forward coach.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy Webster looks like a good find.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Doctor Two
Club Player

Not having to play at that godforsaken windswept Westlakes stadium again!

Munga wrote: sack the forward coach.
And who is our forward coach?

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

During the week there was an article stating it takes 3-4 years for an AFL player to mature. The positive for me is that we have a number in the 1-2 year category looking the goods. They just don't have the tank yet. But Newnes, Webster, Ross and the others are making good progress. Milera and Saad were disappointing, but are still 2nd year players.

On an earlier note in a post.....we missed Wright, which in itself says a lot about him.

Very happy with Roberton.....

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

The kids like Webster, Newnes and Ross were very very good.
Roberton looks like a gun in the making and would be almost leading the B&F right now
Gwilt gave us a bit running out of defense until they shut him down
Thought Stanley wasnt too bad. Still learning the defensive caper.\
Steven will be an out and out star of the comp in a couple of years (if the commentators can ever get his name right)
Geary is becoming a very reliable player
We missed Wrights grunt in the backline which says a lot about what kind of player he will be

Apart from that we have a lot of senior players cruising or out of form badly. Dal Santo, Saad, Milera and Hickey probably need a spell and Beau did his best impression of a statue for almost 3 quarters.

That being said we are a young and developing side and it will take time. I have a good feeling about the future with all the youth coming through

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Great thread. The skill errors killed us but there really was a bit to like.

Roberton is tenacious and smart under pressure. Great recruit.
Newnes fantastic in first half. Ross also good. In fact, they were everywhere in the first half and i kept getting them confused. Webster played a whole game, and I thought well. In two years time when they run out games these guys will be brilliant.
Stanley showed some signs, especially when he had no one to kick to (I think in the third Q), double faked and took them on with some pace and a cracking kick. That was at half forward, but having that sort of pace and kick out of the backline is a huge plus, and you need more than 8 weeks to learn how to play one on one key defence.
Gwilt, Geary and Roo were rocks. Jack didn't get so much of the ball this week, but when he did he showed class beyond his years.
I reckon we stick with Saad. He gets to the ball, almost always has a second and third effort and his flashes of brilliance lift the whole team. My 5 year old wants the number 21 on his next jumper, which means nothing to the selectors but means something to the club as a whole. Sure the execution lets him down sometimes, but as others have said he is a second year player. I don't think sending him back to the twos is the answer.

Looking forward to the Doggies next week. They can only manage about a quarter of good football, so we're at least two quarters up on that ... Imagine when we can put four quarters together. It's not that far off.

Always loyal
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I like the Webster...despite yeasterday's game, I'm perversely enjoying this season...Wright, Webster, Ross, Newnes all really emerging...can one of them please get a Rising Star nomination soon!

Nee!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

positives
1. we got out the carpark within 20 mins
2. traffic on the way home was fine

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:I like the Webster...despite yeasterday's game, I'm perversely enjoying this season...Wright, Webster, Ross, Newnes all really emerging...can one of them please get a Rising Star nomination soon!
im 100% with you im really enjoying this season the results dont really factor into it at this stage but seeing the next generation is exciting ... Seb Ross is fast becoming one of my favorites - there is still frustration sure but overall the excitement of the kids is great

Dylan Roberton is a great pick up for us and would imagine he would be sitting in the top 10 for the trevor barker medal at this stage

Newnes possibly played his best game of footy (a week after McEvoy and Steven played their best games in their carreer) ... its coming together it will take time but there is heaps to like about the team its not all doom and gloom .... some people need to just reset thier expectations

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:positives
1. we got out the carpark within 20 mins
2. traffic on the way home was fine
Bummer for you SA saints that looked forward to that.

Hope you enjoyed seeing some of the kids for the first time.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah was ok
robbo is a good one
plenty of times he was at our end and just looked calm
didnt panic at all
that kid would be my first name on the team sheet for the defence each week

fisher looked mehhh
gwilt good
noticed webster can kick and hit a target
noticed not many others could lol

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think we had plenty of positves tonight. We are a young side with older guys who are struggling.
And in a way this is a positive… Not long ago that our best few each week were 28+… I wondered when we would see the the new breed in the best… and it's happening which is great… albeit at the expense of losing unfortunately… such is life.

Going to be lot's of ups and downs, but it really is exciting seeing Wright become an integral players after 3 matches, Newnes getting 25 touches against a good side, Ross cemented in the side & Roberton coming from nowhere to be one of our best this year.

Looking forward to seeing Shenton, Curren & more of Lee… nothing to lose now.

paddy
Club Player

For Mine....

I think Seb Ross is maturing very nicely.... considering he is a relative pup, he gets in when needed, he places himself well at stoppages, and has great vision and composure....

As mentioned, Roberton has been an absolute steal.... there would be many melbourne clubs that will be kicking themselves for not giving him a chance....

Webster showed a bit too, which is great....

Finally, while he didn't collect 39 touches this week, i love the confidence that Jack steven is playing with....

when he was tackled and held onto the ball, then just stood up and started running away from two crows that were already on their feet, i nearly got to my feet and cheered in my loungeroom... (keep it up Jacky, you are a champ!)