Go on defend that umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Go on defend that umpiring

back to the junction wrote:I see some hope in the next few years after todays game. We got close to the Swans, Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast. After watching the SUNS over the past couple of weeks, that wasn't a bad loss considering, like the other pre mentioned teams, they could also make the finals this year. Ross Lyon killed our recruiting and opportunity to younger players and then he left us. Hawthorn, Geelong and Hawthorn haven't had any rebuild? Collingwood are still in the mix as well. The club or the Scotsman who is no longer at the club took us to bloody Seaford? Half of these people at the club make major decisions and then piss off. Like my sign on log on, back to the Junction. Correct me if I am wrong, Isn't Stkilda, the city, where we got our name from? With all our High Profile supporters, Warnie, Eric Bana, Gudinski and even Lindsay Fox, cant we please just ask the question. Can we build a social club at the junction oval and let our players train there?
Then I suppose Collingwood should go back to Victoria Park and Essendon give up it's plans at Tullamarine. We have one of the best facilities at Seaford and the players have already adjusted. There is simply no room at the Junction Oval and we would have to share it with the St.Kilda District Cricket Club which means we would not be able to do any pre season training at the Junction Oval.
But getting back to the theme of the post, we we're screwed and there is absolutely no reward for tackling anymore. Maybe that's what Geischen wants because as an incompetent non talent of player, he was always tackled and never got a possession.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Why wasn't he at the game then!?! Anybody who supports umpires and doesn't bother attending matches is pretty low credibility-wise I would have though.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:
back to the junction wrote:I see some hope in the next few years after todays game. We got close to the Swans, Collingwood, Richmond and West Coast. After watching the SUNS over the past couple of weeks, that wasn't a bad loss considering, like the other pre mentioned teams, they could also make the finals this year. Ross Lyon killed our recruiting and opportunity to younger players and then he left us. Hawthorn, Geelong and Hawthorn haven't had any rebuild? Collingwood are still in the mix as well. The club or the Scotsman who is no longer at the club took us to bloody Seaford? Half of these people at the club make major decisions and then piss off. Like my sign on log on, back to the Junction. Correct me if I am wrong, Isn't Stkilda, the city, where we got our name from? With all our High Profile supporters, Warnie, Eric Bana, Gudinski and even Lindsay Fox, cant we please just ask the question. Can we build a social club at the junction oval and let our players train there?
Then I suppose Collingwood should go back to Victoria Park and Essendon give up it's plans at Tullamarine. We have one of the best facilities at Seaford and the players have already adjusted. There is simply no room at the Junction Oval and we would have to share it with the St.Kilda District Cricket Club which means we would not be able to do any pre season training at the Junction Oval.
But getting back to the theme of the post, we we're screwed and there is absolutely no reward for tackling anymore. Maybe that's what Geischen wants because as an incompetent non talent of player, he was always tackled and never got a possession.
Ask the future of the club - Roberton (who lives in Frankston) or McEvoy (who lives in Mt Martha) whether they would prefer Moorabbin or Seaford. Difference between an anachronism in the middle of an industrial estate in a moribund 60s suburb, compared to a brand new complex in a new residential area full of young kids supporting the Saints.
Richmond are another one with a training centre out at Craigieburn. However loved the Junction oval when we used to be able to see us play the 'roys there in the 70s and 80s and is one of my all time favourite grounds for watching the footy at. Even the Community Cups there in the 90s were fantastic with a geat atmosphere. However, the financial arrangement was no good for us, no good for Fitzroy, and not even any good for Melbourne when they were training there either. Geez, I hate cricket... :cry:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Grimfang
Club Player

Was at the game with a neutral supporter who is also an umpire.
His verdict was we were royally screwed.
The other interesting tidbit, something he sees in his league (and no doubt gets carried over into AFL; Schneider being a classic example) is umpires disliking certain individuals and it carrying over into their decision-making.
Basically, GT was right. They should put their egos in the locker when they turn up to games....
Hang on, that was the comment that started all our fun and games with the unprofessional mongrels.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
Grimfang
Club Player

Double post.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Grimfang wrote:Was at the game with a neutral supporter who is also an umpire.
His verdict was we were royally screwed.
The other interesting tidbit, something he sees in his league (and no doubt gets carried over into AFL; Schneider being a classic example) is umpires disliking certain individuals and it carrying over into their decision-making.
Basically, GT was right. They should put their egos in the locker when they turn up to games....
Hang on, that was the comment that started all our fun and games with the unprofessional mongrels.
Stephen Milne is the prime example.

It is such a shame, as I thought the umpiring for the first 3 qtr's was probably the best we've had this season, and there seemed to be a real stripping back of the interpretations across the round... Then the last qtr just shat all over itself and, along with 1 or 2 costly mistake by our senior players, cost us the match...

Jack Darling throwing his head back must be sighted as it is blatantly obvious he was looking to con the umps at a crucial time and spot on the ground..

Calling WCE cheats however is not a fair label.. They attempt to exploit trigger happy umps who lose the feel for the game... Cheating is what Essendon take part in... WCE just play in an unsportsmanlike manner, however I don't consider it cheating...

Buckets
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:It is such a shame, as I thought the umpiring for the first 3 qtr's was probably the best we've had this season, and there seemed to be a real stripping back of the interpretations across the round... Then the last qtr just shat all over itself and, along with 1 or 2 costly mistake by our senior players, cost us the match...

Jack Darling throwing his head back must be sighted as it is blatantly obvious he was looking to con the umps at a crucial time and spot on the ground..

Calling WCE cheats however is not a fair label.. They attempt to exploit trigger happy umps who lose the feel for the game... Cheating is what Essendon take part in... WCE just play in an unsportsmanlike manner, however I don't consider it cheating...

See I found it interesting because I thought the umpiring had been over the top from the start of the 2nd quarter.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Buckets wrote:
Sobraz wrote:It is such a shame, as I thought the umpiring for the first 3 qtr's was probably the best we've had this season, and there seemed to be a real stripping back of the interpretations across the round... Then the last qtr just shat all over itself and, along with 1 or 2 costly mistake by our senior players, cost us the match...

See I found it interesting because I thought the umpiring had been over the top from the start of the 2nd quarter.
Fair enough, but I allow for some poor call either way... You're right, it increasingly got worse, but the last qtr was so far off the chart compared to the first 3 qtr's, its day and night...

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Bad umpiring aside, we still had two chances to ice the game.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Half way through the first quarter the frees were 0-0. I made a smart a comment to this effect in the game day thread to Curly. I was thinking , great , obviously they are going to put the whistle away just like all the other games this weekend. Then it was on. So in 3 and 1/2 quarters of football they paid 22-13 frees. No wonder some on here think the umpires were good at the start , because they were. Well for 15 minutes anyway. But even in that 15 minutes there were 3 incidents that could have been called dropping the ball, but werent. Good I thought, they are going to let it go, just like Ess and Carl friday night. Boy was I wrong

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Bad umpiring aside, we still had two chances to ice the game.

A bit like guns don't kill people people kill people. I hate the idea teams have to be better so the umpires don't ruin their chances why not just do the job properly?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:The game is over guys .

The only point I would like to add was Terry Wallace all thru the game was saying definitely 3 goals had been decided by
Umpires to West coast.Amazingly he then at the end of the reflects oh no was not .
Would not have been reminded he had earlier in the week been given a new job within AFl.

No coincedience the top 9 teams in Afl currently on the ladder are the moneyball teams the AFL .

Unfortunately saints supporters have to accept we are going to get bent over with this , as it is what the AFL desires.
Yes I heard that .... at first I thought "good on you plough"

Then.... out if nowhere he says .... "Actually Im with Kevin.."

Only one who couldn't believe it was Harford? He was go smacked

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Why can't we name these muppets?
Start an unofficial supporter ladder of umpire performance? FFS a spotlight needs to be shined upon this

Friday night Carlton / Essendon was umpired exceptionally well IMO

“Yeah….nah””
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Let's get back to the tackling, we had 70+ tackles yesterday, according to the umpire in every case the Eagles either had no prior opportunity, or disposed of the ball correctly.
I don't count the player falling on the ball, have half a dozen fall on top and be declared as holding the ball as a tackle.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Several times in this thread posters have referred to the Weagles getting 7 goals from frees.

Stats in The Age say they got 3 from frees and we got one.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Several times in this thread posters have referred to the Weagles getting 7 goals from frees.

Stats in The Age say they got 3 from frees and we got one.
Those 3 are from the kick directly from the free... The 5,6 or 7 can be attributed to a free one or two possessions before the goal... In that sense, the umps had 3 goals, 4 goal assists..

lloyd21
Club Player

Age not correct think about game 3 goals from frees last quarter alone.
Cox got goal 1st Q from free so that is 4 definitely

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Age not correct think about game 3 goals from frees last quarter alone.
Cox got goal 1st Q from free so that is 4 definitely
No he passed it off.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:Bad umpiring aside, we still had two chances to ice the game.

A bit like guns don't kill people people kill people. I hate the idea teams have to be better so the umpires don't ruin their chances why not just do the job properly?
I hear you, but in the same argument, why couldn't one of our more experienced players convert what should have been converted? For mine, that's their job! But, they didn't, they made mistakes, as did the umpires.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
gringo wrote:

I hear you, but in the same argument, why couldn't one of our more experienced players convert what should have been converted? For mine, that's their job! But, they didn't, they made mistakes, as did the umpires.
StKilda players didn't choose to miss goals. The umpires chose to blatantly ignore frees to us while giving ddoubtful frees at best to WC.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

14.3 frees per team was the average for round 11. WC had 21.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
stinger
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:14.3 frees per team was the average for round 11. WC had 21.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
back to the junction

samuraisaint wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:
Ask the future of the club - Roberton (who lives in Frankston) or McEvoy (who lives in Mt Martha) whether they would prefer Moorabbin or Seaford. Difference between an anachronism in the middle of an industrial estate in a moribund 60s suburb, compared to a brand new complex in a new residential area full of young kids supporting the Saints.
Richmond are another one with a training centre out at Craigieburn. However loved the Junction oval when we used to be able to see us play the 'roys there in the 70s and 80s and is one of my all time favourite grounds for watching the footy at. Even the Community Cups there in the 90s were fantastic with a geat atmosphere. However, the financial arrangement was no good for us, no good for Fitzroy, and not even any good for Melbourne when they were training there either. Geez, I hate cricket... :cry:
Firstly, Collingwood hasn't given up Victoria park and Essendon still has windy hill. They just train in other areas. No problem at all for the Saints to be looking for supporters from the Seaford or Mount Martha area. And training at Seaford. But it would be nice to be able to go to a social club and have a meal and catch up with a few mates. But driving two hours to Seaford isn't my cup of tea either. The players are there for a short period of time, supporters can be there through generations.
No wonder we have dropped 10,000 members, where do you think they went? Melbourne has no home either and look how they are travelling? Do we want to end up like them? We were told if we moved to Moorabbin that we would get the kids following us from that area, we were told moving to Waverley would be the best thing ever and we would get supporters from there, as well as Tassie and now New Zealand. I lived in Eltham, why don't the Saints go out there, they produce children out there. Seaford, you have got to be joking? When my grandparents followed the club we were at the junction oval, we were Stkilda. For 90 YEARS? The future of our club are the supporters. I don't care what McEvoy thinks, after he retires he is going to live in Stawell. Keep Seaford as a training facility, no problems, build a gym, a restaurant, social club so we all have somewhere CENTRAL to go after a game at the Junction. instead of giving our hard earned to the Victory Room. Saints supporters are not just from Seaford, Franks ton or Mount Martha. There are bus loads of paid up members that come to the games from all over Victoria. Anyway YOU HAVE THE STATISTICS to say they are having more children that any other place in Melbourne? Must be a fun town?

wasaintsfan
Club Player