Twilight Games

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintlester
Club Player

Twilight Games

Am I the only one who thinks we are getting a raw deal this year with these games? Next Sunday will be our fifth straight game in the 4.40 time slot(either Saturday or Sunday). Surely even a team like Melbourne gets more afternoon games and they have a lower supporter base than we do. Personally I hate the twilight time slot(especially Saturday). It appears to be another example of the AFL thinking St Kilda are irrelevant and bung their games on in any time slot. Is it because the club just apperas to roll over and say to the AFL " How hard do you want to give it to us"?

An approach should be made before next season regarding this. Then again we would probably then get saddled with Thursday night or Monday night games and 5 day breaks.

saint3d
Club Player

Re: Twilight Games

No, I think it's wonderful that the first opportunity this season to take my three year old daughter to the footy is in round 22.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:No, I think it's wonderful that the first opportunity this season to take my three year old daughter to the footy is in round 22.
Just think, you might get to take your daughter to 2 games in a row. Our Rd 23 game against Fremantle is likely to ba a 1.10 start on the Saturday !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I don't like them at all especially the Sunday twilight games.

Sunday twilight games are like what cricket is to summer, you have the TV or radio on but it is in the background and is secondary to something else you are doing on a Sunday which is usually winding down for the weekend and spending time with the family and all getting ready for the new week.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

I find Sunday twilight to be painful but bareable, Saturday twilights i HATE. Perfect example was this weekend when I had to leave at 3/4 time because I had to get to an engagement party. I know if it was a night game I would have missed it all but I would rather that than having to leave early.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

We ALL need to get our thoughts & ideas on this matter to the club pretty soon. I think clubs are required to have their 1st submissions in by the middle of July. If enough people let the club know, the club will let the AFL know !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Saintlester wrote:An approach should be made before next season regarding this. Then again we would probably then get saddled with Thursday night or Monday night games and 5 day breaks.
I dislike twilights because they always seem to clash with something, but Thursday and Monday night games are pretty good I reckon. Much easier to go to the footy after work and wander home afterwards. And I'm unlikely to have anything else on those nights.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Our fixture has been an absolute joke,starting to lose the passion for the AFL with the way the fixturing is so lopsided toward Collingwood etc,EPL here we come ,shouldn't"t our board have a bit more of a say or at least a bit of a whinge about it!

PADDLEPOP1000
tgf
Club Player

Sunday twilight games are about the only games i can get to. My eldest boy has basketball on Fridays nights. Both boys play basketball on a saturday and then a game each on Sunday. So For us it is Sunday twilight or nothing.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

saint3d wrote:No, I think it's wonderful that the first opportunity this season to take my three year old daughter to the footy is in round 22.
Look on the bright side, at least she won't be as scarred as the rest of us by having to watch our team disappoint us every week.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I prefer Sat twilight to Sunday but Max 4 per season not 8.

And a few more day games would be fair.

But I don't think the club cares. They never seem to make any noise re timeslots.

President Ghostaway as usual says nothing, Right?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
SinCitySainter
Club Player

I love the Saturday Twilight games.
Go to the footy with friends go out afterwards for a cheap meal.
I am not a big fan of the Sunday twilight though as I don't really like going out Sunday nights.
Also any of my families get togethers are always on a Sunday afternoon and it means I miss too many games.
I do hate the Thursday night and Monday night games though.
Football is for the weekend not week days.

You see everyone has a differing opinion on when is the best time for football.
So the best thing the club could do is get an even spread across the possible time slots.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sunday twilight at least allows kids to go who play footy on Sunday. Really there are not many days that suit everyone. Some want Saturday but thats not good for people involved in local footy. Friday night is clearly the best for most people i would think. We may get one a year for the next 3 or 4 years.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We are lost irrelevant, so the AFL puts us in irrelevant time slot

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

when we consistantly fill a stadium we might get the prime time games ... fact is its a bad look for the game to have a half filled stadium on the prime time TV slots so while we have poor attendances we will cop the also run game time

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone on here put forward what they would like to see in the fixture. I'm sure the club would take this into consideration prior to making OUR submission to the AFL.

It's no good whinging about the fixture if you aren't prepared to TRY to do something about it !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

What I would like included in the 2014 FIXture;

Rounds 1 & 3 as HOME Games, and both of these being against Victorian based clubs (1 being against Collingwood, Richmond or Hawthorn)

One of Rounds 2 & 4 AWAY games against a Vic based club

Round 5 HOME game on ANZAC Day in Wellington NZ (It has been said that this game is against Brisbane)

A MAXIMUM of 5 Twilight games (8 this year), with a 3-2 Saturday/Sunday mix

A HOME game and NO away game v Geelong

3 Friday Night games, with 2 of these being HOME games

Keep our Monday Night (day after Mothers Day) game v Carlton

6 x Saturday Night games (my favourite time slot), with 4 of these being HOME games

Competition average or below 6 Day breaks

At least 7 days break AFTER Interstate/NZ Games

If the bye is over 3 weeks, OUR bye to be the middle week (same as this year)

A Maximum of 5 Interstate games and no more than 2 games in Wellington NZ

!!