I took banned drug: Watson

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

StevieSaint
Club Player

Re: I took banned drug: Watson

Lets inject all the boys with Growth Hormone and tell them it is vitamin c. Then when he wins a brownlow and increases size, strength, speed and smashes all his previous personal bests at training just tell him to say he "didn't know what he was taking." D i c k h e a d...this is the biggest scandal in the history of AFL...heads need to roll....

GO SAINTS GO
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:I watched the interview, and what Watson said wasn't a frank admission, or a staged set up by Essendon.

He was talking quite casually about it, but did keep repeating the obvious mantra that 'I/we didn't do anything wrong'.

However when asked directly if he took that drug he said that he did, then when asked what he felt when ASADA came out and said it was banned, he said he was shocked.

I think at that point, he may have realised that he'd put his foot in it.

Clearly though, Essendon players were being pumped full of all sorts of stuff, and I believe were genuinely told by the club that it was all legal.

Watson seems to believe (or wants to believe) that that means he didn't do anything wrong.

In the eyes of the public, he probably didn't. But I think in the eyes of ASADA he has.
In my eyes he has?

Yeah, poor choice of words. What I meant was that some/most people would accept the defence of 'I have a signed document from a doctor saying that this is legal so I took it' - whereas ASADA don't.

My understanding is that it is very simple - if you took something illegal, then you're in deep s***. Full stop.
Didn't he also admit Reid had little involvement?

Could be a similar case to Melbourne here.

All was rosey until the oversized couches and faux library caused Brock to confess, claimed another victim it seems.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:What I meant was that some/most people would accept the defence of 'I have a signed document from a doctor saying that this is legal so I took it' - whereas ASADA don't.

My understanding is that it is very simple - if you took something illegal, then you're in deep s***. Full stop.
Many people would think they wrongly believed they were absolving themselves of responsibility by signing... even if they had 'suspicions'.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

And that's why ASADA/WADA take the approach they do. It's clear cut. There's no room to weasel out of it.

Doesn't matter what people think - if you took it you're in s***. Full stop.

saintvic
Club Player

Whether he knew what he was taking was illegal is irrelevant!

Both Jobe and the club have benefitted from taking these banned substances. Surely there has to be consequences, otherwise the AFL is a joke, you can't have players who have admitted to taking banned substances winning aBrownlow medal and playing in finals. It is simply unfair to the rest of the competition who haven't had the advantages of taking PEDs!

Will be interesting to see whether the AFL and/or ASADA are corrupt or not.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Breaking news: Essendope's banner for next year's Anzac game will read : "Lest We Inject"

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Yeah, poor choice of words. What I meant was that some/most people would accept the defence of 'I have a signed document from a doctor saying that this is legal so I took it' - whereas ASADA don't.

he didn't say he signed a document saying it was legal thou, he said he signed a consent form...........

A consent form he consent to taking banned drug (albeit he didn't know it was banned) then went on to say he BELIEVED that he was taking AOD, I wonder if they will try we only gave vitamins but thought it would be funny to get players to sign up to AOD

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Can anybody point to a document from WADA/ASADA that categorically states that AOD9064 (or 9024 or whatever the fk the Injectors were using) was a legal drug for in competition sportsmen to take.

Also can someone point me to a document where it states the drug Watson has admitted to taking has been passed for human use???

Bueller..................Bueller.................

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

A respected journalist by the name of Tim Watson (no relation I believe) is everywhere in the media (Channel 7, SEN, The Herald Sun) and is adamant that the Essendon Football Club and its players have done no wrong. Apparently he is privvy to some information that he is unable to reveal to the general public.

Based on that; everything should be okay then :)

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

he didn't say he signed a document saying it was legal thou, he said he signed a consent form...........

A consent form he consent to taking banned drug (albeit he didn't know it was banned) then went on to say he BELIEVED that he was taking AOD, I wonder if they will try we only gave vitamins but thought it would be funny to get players to sign up to AOD
He said a few things incorrectly last night. I put it down to nerves. Like when he said a 'medical doctor'. What other kind of doctor is there??

My understanding is that the 'consent' form as he put it last night, was actually something the players requested to confirm that what they were taking was legit. I don't think it was from the club to get their consent to inject them. I think he used the wrong term.

I could be wrong though.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote: My understanding is that the 'consent' form as he put it last night, was actually something the players requested to confirm that what they were taking was legit. I don't think it was from the club to get their consent to inject them. I think he used the wrong term.

I could be wrong though.
that's the line Essendon have used all along

It is hard to tell, wether that was just spin from Essendon of Watson was using the wrong wording

mullet
Saintsational Legend

StevieSaint wrote:Lets inject all the boys with Growth Hormone and tell them it is vitamin c. Then when he wins a brownlow and increases size, strength, speed and smashes all his previous personal bests at training just tell him to say he "didn't know what he was taking." D i c k h e a d...this is the biggest scandal in the history of AFL...heads need to roll....
I am with you here Steviesaint.

Bout time someone asked them, "where you not concerned when your training indicators were being bettered every week".

They were indestructable, and they felt it and knew it. And yet not one player asked if all these injections were the reason. Come on. Jobe, from nearly being delisted to brownlow medalist , nice story yeah, but not if you CHEATED!!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:My wife works with people close to Essendon footy club and they believe that there will be no penalty. Their legal team is extremely confident. It wasn't banned according to them and they will fight this in court and have the back up of blaming it all on Dank. AFL has a fight on their hands to even fight this in court. A nominal fine is all I'm thinking will come from it.

It was meant to be legal according to the ASADA website at the time.
Their legal team is just looking for more work.

Id take it with several grains of salt. John Fahey was crystal clear that it was banned under SO.

Thumbs up for Jobe for honesty ( at last). His dad should take note and stop being their chief spin doctor (aka bulls*** artist).

To me a 12 month ban is fair. Mitigated from the 2 years because of the genuine and well founded belief in the Doctors advice.

But did you pick up the phone and make one simple phone call to the ASADA hotline? Nope you didnt. So 1 year buddy.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Just when the AFL thought they could sweep it under the carpet..

matrix
Saintsational Legend

its not f****** legal
its on the s0 list

ffs

how they think they can get out of this i have no idea
not fit for human consumption because it has not been tested enough so it goes onto another list (s0)

otherwise we'd have every pro athlete in the world grabbing everything off this list and sticking it up their ass to gain an edge

still
it will STILL get swept up somehow
club will get a massive fine and they might lose some draft picks
seriously i think thats all that will happen

you watch

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:its not f****** legal
its on the s0 list

ffs

how they think they can get out of this i have no idea
not fit for human consumption because it has not been tested enough so it goes onto another list (s0)

otherwise we'd have every pro athlete in the world grabbing everything off this list and sticking it up their ass to gain an edge

still
it will STILL get swept up somehow
club will get a massive fine and they might lose some draft picks
seriously i think thats all that will happen

you watch
Demons got swept under the carpet for a couple of years until Brock talked frankly though.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

They have done nothing wrong and it is yet to be proven so everyong should just get a F#CKING GRIP. :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, on a side note, when's Milney back? :roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:They have done nothing wrong and it is yet to be proven so everyong should just get a F#CKING GRIP. :mrgreen:

But.... Watson admitted it, Milney is fermently denying it.

And Watson is cheered and Milney is booed and called a rapist ..... I am very confused

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
SaintPav wrote:They have done nothing wrong and it is yet to be proven so everyong should just get a F#CKING GRIP. :mrgreen:

And Watson is cheered and Milney is booed and called a rapist ..... I am very confused
me too.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
mullet wrote:

me too.
or we are too logical..... lets go with that

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Dr Spaceman wrote:A respected journalist by the name of Tim Watson (no relation I believe) is everywhere in the media (Channel 7, SEN, The Herald Sun) and is adamant that the Essendon Football Club and its players have done no wrong. Apparently he is privvy to some information that he is unable to reveal to the general public.

Based on that; everything should be okay then :)

HOMER - This is my "everything's OK alarm", it will sound every 3 seconds, as long as everything is OK.

MARGE - How do you turn it off?

HOMER - You can't turn it off.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Make no mistake.
Bombers are toast here. There are no secret deals between ASADA and the Bombers/AFL. ASADA would never make such a deal. There is no "letter" from ASADA saying aod is ok - ASADA simply DONT DO letters!

Even (in the extreme) circumstance that such a 'deal' was attempted - WADA will intervene and disallow it anyway.

Bombers are toast. Forget about this total BS they are spinning that they are going to "get off".

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

People are using the word illegal and confusing the issues here. We are talking about BANNED substances - not illegal substances. They are professional athletes and under ASADA/WADA rules they cannot use any substance that hasn't been approved by any regulator for human use.

If someone purchases AOD and injects the stuff for personal use there is no law that says it is 'illegal' and they are not committing a crime. You can legally purchase AOD for clinical trials and lots of universities and private laboratories do daily testing on 1000's of yet to be approved chemical formulations like AOD.

If Jobe and Essendon FC injected their players with AOD they are not committing a crime.....problem is they are not the average 'Jobe on the street' and they are not a university doing clinical trials!!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:People are using the word illegal and confusing the issues here. We are talking about BANNED substances - not illegal substances. They are professional athletes and under ASADA/WADA rules they cannot use any substance that hasn't been approved by any regulator for human use.

If someone purchases AOD and injects the stuff for personal use there is no law that says it is 'illegal' and they are not committing a crime. You can legally purchase AOD for clinical trials and lots of universities and private laboratories do daily testing on 1000's of yet to be approved chemical formulations like AOD.

If Jobe and Essendon FC injected their players with AOD they are not committing a crime.....problem is they are not the average 'Jobe on the street' and they are not a university doing clinical trials!!!
Spot on
And it is no longer an 'if'.

Also remember these players received EDUCATION AND BRIEFINGS from ASADA!

The bottom line - is if in doubt PICK UP THE PHONE!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-25/j ... g-use-wada

Watson insists he has done nothing wrong, having followed advice from Essendon medical staff, and he was surprised by WADA's statement last month confirming the drug was banned.

But WADA president John Fahey said on Tuesday "nothing has changed" and repeated the obligations athletes are under.
"You are responsible for what goes into your system, it's a strict liability," Fahey told AFL.com.au.