Forum Makeover - TOPIC RE-OPENED FOR REVIEW

The place to discuss issues with administrators and moderators. Suggestions welcome. All bans will be posted here and the banning appeals process will be held in this forum.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Forum Makeover

SENsaintsational wrote:Only one improvement I can see so far in the Mod process.....I don't get the 'option' being given the delete/alter. If it breaks the rules then it breaks the rules, so it should be deleted/altered. The poster who has contravened has posted knowing the rules are in place and posted accordingly. So they then suffer the consequences of that rule breaking. If they rfuse to alter/delete, it just makes a mockery of the process.

Send a PM to advise "you post in such and such thread has been altered as it contravened the forum rules of.......blah blah". Don't give options. My 2c.
I like it, there are grey areas when it comes to being disrespectful & baiting etc... People might not know they have crossed the line, but can be alerted to it & asked to reword or remove themselves... A mod can then enforce themselves if a poster is unwilling.

Repeated abusers will get warnings and suspensions no doubt.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:The version of the forum I use (I think it's called IDLaunch Black Style) has the option to go to first unread post, so it seems it exists in some of the formats and not others.
Yep, I use prosilver_red and that has it as well. Maybe it just needs to be added to the default theme in some way?

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I think the option given is a good one because it promotes self moderation. It put the onus on the poster.
However I also see the positive in the the mod having the availability to just modify the post to suit guidelines.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

dals_da_bomb wrote:I think the option given is a good one because it promotes self moderation. It put the onus on the poster.
However I also see the positive in the the mod having the availability to just modify the post to suit guidelines.
a mod must have that ability...or otherwise a poster can refuse to allow a very offensive post to remain whilst simply copping a warning...as appears to be the case , judging from simon's posts above........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Hey just seeking some clarification on how the "animal enclosure " will work ? Will football posts that descend into argy bargy be moved to this Forum? If so at current pace 2/3 of the football posts will be there...very confusing for all. Or..are posts critical of other posters allowed to be started from scratch here? Not a great idea full stop IMO.

Great work so far Simon!! May I make one more suggestion? Surely a total clean out of mod positions is in order,,,,either that or the current ones need to make a promise to actually turn up here more than once every two years.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

saint66au wrote:
Great work so far Simon!! May I make one more suggestion? Surely a total clean out of mod positions is in order,,,,either that or the current ones need to make a promise to actually turn up here more than once every two years.
+1

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i don't have any problems with the current mods...especially hsvking who does a fine job in difficult circumstances...just ask the mod who retired.....i find any criticism of them unjustified.....

matrix
Saintsational Legend

unjustified ?
when was the last time you saw n1ck?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:unjustified ?
when was the last time you saw n1ck?
don't know... don't care...the two others were pretty good...and hsvking still is....fair and reasonable. at all times..not like some we have had in the past

...and dcstkfc was well regarded also...don't believe me...look at the thread where he informed us he was resigning...speaks for itself......

anyway...it seems this place is about to get a spring cleaning..and i'm for that

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Hey just seeking some clarification on how the "animal enclosure " will work ? Will football posts that descend into argy bargy be moved to this Forum? If so at current pace 2/3 of the football posts will be there...very confusing for all. Or..are posts critical of other posters allowed to be started from scratch here? Not a great idea full stop IMO.
I had been planning to put something like this in place for a while now, had set the forum up as a test but things had got in the way and it was pushed aside.

Was playing around the with ideas of how it would run, ie;
- a forum for posters to 'cool off' and get what they want off their chest. Would be part ban from the main forum etc for a period of time depending on history etc
- No holds barred forum. If you go in there, you are doing so in the knowledge that we warned you from doing so. Obviously material which is inappropriate will be dealt with still, but arguments will not be resolved by mods etc

They walk amongst us...

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Only one improvement I can see so far in the Mod process.....I don't get the 'option' being given the delete/alter. If it breaks the rules then it breaks the rules, so it should be deleted/altered. The poster who has contravened has posted knowing the rules are in place and posted accordingly. So they then suffer the consequences of that rule breaking. If they rfuse to alter/delete, it just makes a mockery of the process.

Send a PM to advise "you post in such and such thread has been altered as it contravened the forum rules of.......blah blah". Don't give options. My 2c.
The editing option in the forum has been revised. As of a few weeks ago, you can only edit or delete your post within 5 minutes of posting (ample time to alter if you have made a mistake etc).

I put this in place so that evidence couldn't be removed from a post that is reported to us.

They walk amongst us...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote: The editing option in the forum has been revised. As of a few weeks ago, you can only edit or delete your post within 5 minutes of posting (ample time to alter if you have made a mistake etc).

I put this in place so that evidence couldn't be removed from a post that is reported to us.
Sounds reasonable 8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
HSVKing wrote: The editing option in the forum has been revised. As of a few weeks ago, you can only edit or delete your post within 5 minutes of posting (ample time to alter if you have made a mistake etc).

Sounds reasonable 8-)
yes...except i didn't realise for a somewhat longer time that i had mistakenly started a thread in the footy forum that was meant for the gneral...would have liked to have been able to delete it....oh well...will have to be more cautious in the future.... :oops:

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Sounds reasonable 8-)
yes...except i didn't realise for a somewhat longer time that i had mistakenly started a thread in the footy forum that was meant for the gneral...would have liked to have been able to delete it....oh well...will have to be more cautious in the future.... :oops:
Just let us know it's in the wrong forum and we'll move it. No need to get all panicked about it.

They walk amongst us...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Could we maybe have a vote on whether posts can be edited for a longer period? Clearly a lot of people were using this feature regularly and mostly for legitimate mistakes...

If its a community forum owned by all of us then I would like to see rules and changes decided by the people, also should we be all having a say in who is/becomes mods?

Nothing against you HSV by the way...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The edit button should always be there. Like Dragit said 99% of people were using it for the right reason which was usually spelling mistakes that werent noticed initially. Silly to get rid of something because one or two altered posts after the event. Im on here a bit and have never noticed that actually happening anyway.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote: Just let us know it's in the wrong forum and we'll move it. No need to get all panicked about it.
okay....but you do get jumped on around here for doing what i did.....good to know that you guys will fix it....

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The edit button should always be there. Like Dragit said 99% of people were using it for the right reason which was usually spelling mistakes that werent noticed initially. Silly to get rid of something because one or two altered posts after the event. Im on here a bit and have never noticed that actually happening anyway.
If you haven't noticed a spelling mistake within 5 minutes of posting, then it obviously won't affect you all that much.

Spelling and grammar seems to be something that not many care about these days anyway.

Sticking with the 5 minutes as it ample time to fix anything 'spelling' mistakes you make :wink:

They walk amongst us...

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

+1 to keep the edit function how it was. I think people who use the report function do so privately so not sure your theory occurs often enough to have a small edit window. I've never seen a report worthy post edited anyway (not that I even new you could report).

dragit
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The edit button should always be there. Like Dragit said 99% of people were using it for the right reason which was usually spelling mistakes that werent noticed initially. Silly to get rid of something because one or two altered posts after the event. Im on here a bit and have never noticed that actually happening anyway.
If you haven't noticed a spelling mistake within 5 minutes of posting, then it obviously won't affect you all that much.

Spelling and grammar seems to be something that not many care about these days anyway.

Sticking with the 5 minutes as it ample time to fix anything 'spelling' mistakes you make :wink:
So is that it?

Even if the majority of us would like it as it was, we'll do what you have decided is best?

Clearly we don't 'own' this thing if you are making changes that most of us might disagree with...

Why don't we put it to the people?

I suggest that if someone has an issue, then they could pm a mod with the infringing post, once that is done it is recorded in the pm and that can't be edited...

It's not that easy getting things right when you are posting on a phone, 5 mins can easily go if you are doing something else or reading another thread.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:

It can be 5 seconds though if someone posts straight after you. How often were people altering posts?

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:+1 to keep the edit function how it was. I think people who use the report function do so privately so not sure your theory occurs often enough to have a small edit window. I've never seen a report worthy post edited anyway (not that I even new you could report).
Only until recent years the edit function was not available at all. Even giving a small window for a poster to be able to edit is sufficient. Contrary to what many think, posts do get edited in time enough to have what was said removed.

Just another example of how it's damned if we do, damned if we don't on here.

They walk amongst us...

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:So is that it?

Even if the majority of us would like it as it was, we'll do what you have decided is best?

Clearly we don't 'own' this thing if you are making changes that most of us might disagree with...

Why don't we put it to the people?

I suggest that if someone has an issue, then they could pm a mod with the infringing post, once that is done it is recorded in the pm and that can't be edited...

It's not that easy getting things right when you are posting on a phone, 5 mins can easily go if you are doing something else or reading another thread.
You don't get it do you?

We're hounded about cleaning up the forum and catching those responsible for certain posts etc, we implement a way so that these posts can't be altered or removed in reasonable time (whilst still giving all posters the chance to fix their mistakes etc), yet we still get hounded about a decision made on how to fix it.

How about giving something a chance and hoping that it has more positive than negative before abusing us for more inane reasons?

They walk amongst us...

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

HSVKing wrote:How about giving something a chance and hoping that it has more positive than negative before abusing us for more inane reasons?
How about letting the forum decide instead of issuing directives from the throne?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough mate. The biggest concern was having a page full of troll topics which I haven't seen for a few days since more admin / mod presence - kudos.