What a suprise. Cheats.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: What a suprise. Cheats.

For what it's worth, I reckon there were some absolute shockers that went our way too.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:I was disgusted more with the decision to review the Tom Curren goal. How in God's name can a goal umpire who is in a perfect position, and nearer to the ball than anyone, doubt that it was a goal? :?
That was a real momentum stopper.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

OPSM! How apt!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
busso mick
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:I was disgusted more with the decision to review the Tom Curren goal. How in God's name can a goal umpire who is in a perfect position, and nearer to the ball than anyone, doubt that it was a goal? :?
From umpire Jimeoin? It whistled right over the goal umpires head, he was the only officiating person at the ground who would know whether it hit the post or not. But Jimeoin thought he would delay the game and get some free publicity for his new show.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The reality is umpires have an unconscious bias to teams higher up the ladder (in their head they are a better team). How many games did you walk away from when we were at the top and think we got dudded in frees? Not many and other teams complained a lot. That is also to do with the players being first at the footy getting the frees. No surprise that after quarter time we went in a lot harder and the free kick count turned around.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:The reality is umpires have an unconscious bias to teams higher up the ladder (in their head they are a better team). How many games did you walk away from when we were at the top and think we got dudded in frees? Not many and other teams complained a lot. That is also to do with the players being first at the footy getting the frees. No surprise that after quarter time we went in a lot harder and the free kick count turned around.

Stats dont support that at all. i suggest when we win we care less about the umpiring and when we lose we care more.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

In the final analysis, if our boys had brought some of that second-half ticker they showed, to the FIRST quarter then the "umpire/cheating" complaint would be academic! WE PLAYED ABOUT AS BAD AS I'VE EVER SEEN IN THAT FIRST HALF! NO HIDING AWAY FROM THAT! :evil:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:The reality is umpires have an unconscious bias to teams higher up the ladder (in their head they are a better team). How many games did you walk away from when we were at the top and think we got dudded in frees? Not many and other teams complained a lot. That is also to do with the players being first at the footy getting the frees. No surprise that after quarter time we went in a lot harder and the free kick count turned around.

Stats dont support that at all. i suggest when we win we care less about the umpiring and when we lose we care more.

More garbage.

It's insulting to people's intelligence to suggest that they only notice bad umpiring when their team wins.

The AFL rules and the umpiring itself are pitiful. The standard in our game on Saturday night was just awful. Both ways.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

More garbage.

It's insulting to people's intelligence to suggest that they only notice bad umpiring when their team wins.

The AFL rules and the umpiring itself are pitiful. The standard in our game on Saturday night was just awful. Both ways.

I actually agree with Plugger though. When you win you don't hate them so much. The pain of that loss just highlights how with a bit less umpiring we could have won. I left games under Ross Lyon unhappy that we had been screwed by them but because we won I was to busy celebrating to mire myself in umpire hating. You can forgive everyone after a win Plugger and Stinger even get along better.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

More garbage.

As i said stats dont support it. I wont call your post garbage, I will go with rubbish but its good to have you back. I missed a good laugh.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring was ordinary ...both ways..the trip was tiggy touchwood and the mark was clearly Hickeys'. Sunday Footy Show panellists were in agreeance with that.

However..I cant remember the last time I thought to myself "Oh God we got out of jail there" so many times at a game. I reckon 1/2 doz clear frees against us werent paid. Those tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorists will never see them of course. Never happy unless the free count is 55-0 in our favour

Oh and before anyone pulls the "we have the worst free kick ratio in the comp" card...yes we do..but theres another stat that maybe partially explains it. Weve given away more free kicks inside D50 than any other team. Our defenders are undersized and are giving away chopping and scragging frees trying to compete with much bigger bodies

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

50 against Dal was absolutely correct.

Players of his experience should know you cannot grab or hit the ball when in the hand of a player going back to take a free kick. Forget that he 'dropped it', the 50 should have been paid simply for Dal's stupidity of even getting his hand near the ball.

Senior players should not be making these mistakes with all the kids in our side learning from them.

They walk amongst us...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:If you are going to award a 50 metre penalty which changes the result of the game, then I just think you need to be certain… That one was dubious at very best.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-repla ... ality=high

nothing in the armitage fend off either

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-repla ... ality=high

Hope we end up with an absolute superstar because of all these heart breaking losses
Apologies for the above links…

I grabbed them from the video of our game, but now they are pointing to the WCE v Sydney game… no idea why.

bergsone
SS Life Member

What actually happened at interchange infrindgement,who was at fault.We seem to have our fair share of fuckups there

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:50 against Dal was absolutely correct.

Players of his experience should know you cannot grab or hit the ball when in the hand of a player going back to take a free kick. Forget that he 'dropped it', the 50 should have been paid simply for Dal's stupidity of even getting his hand near the ball.
If the 50 was paid for Dal's stupidity, then it wasn't absolutely correct.

There is no rule that says an umpire can pay a 50 for a player being stupid.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Really. thanks for those words.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

The stupidity shown was hitting the ball...

You're not really being serious now, are you? :shock:

They walk amongst us...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BT's actual comments

"That was not 50 and it has cost them a goal"

Dal Santo might have been silly to try and knock the ball - yes. But the fact is he didn't knock the ball away, the ball stayed in his hands and then he dropped it, so the call was wrong.

You can't start paying free's for stupidity, either he knocked the ball out of his hands or he didn't. He didn't.

Reminds me of the Rhys Stanley 50 metres that Hampson got, he pushed him square in the back, well before the ball arrived… but still got 50? Once again it was a stupid thing to do, but it's not 50

These screen grabs clearly show Pittard still holding the ball with Dal's hand no-where near it.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

The stupidity shown was hitting the ball...

You're not really being serious now, are you? :shock:

I am being serious.

The decision was incorrect.

What Dal did was not illegal.

Stupid? Yes. Illegal? No. 50m penalty? No.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

What did the umpire pay the 50 for?
Dal hitting the ball out of the Port players hands
or
entering the 'protected area'.

If it was scenario #1, then he has been conned by the Port player
If it was scenario #2, then he was being extremely harsh and technical on Dal

The 50 on top of a very poor free kick in the first place just seemed to compound the glaring umpiring error.
IMHO the replay clearly showed Stanley tackling the running Port player, who then cause the tackle to slip down to his feet by his forward motion.

Again IMHO it was akin to a player charging at an opponent with his head down and when contact is made is paid a free kick for contact above the shoulders. The action of the player with the footy caused the infraction and was rewarded by the umpire.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

He paid it once the ball dropped out of the player's hand.

Simply put, the umpire didn't see the actual incident. He paid a 50 for something he didn't actual see.

Poor umpiring.

Wasn't the only instance on the night though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:He paid it once the ball dropped out of the player's hand.

Simply put, the umpire didn't see the actual incident. He paid a 50 for something he didn't actual see.

Poor umpiring.

Wasn't the only instance on the night though.

No it wasnt as its been like since I started watching the game 43 years ago. matter of fact the umpiring then was 10 times as bad and there was no real packs back then.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Senior players should not be making these mistakes with all the kids in our side learning from them.
Dal got off far too easily on this. It was a stupid, stupid thing to do for a senior player.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Game decided by a cheating umpire. Watched the Port player drop the ball himself and awards him the match winning goal. Blatant cheat but not a suprise after the goal they took off us in the first and gave them a goal.
+1.... the maggots are doing okay in games against us......that's about their fifth win.... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

kosifantutti wrote:Dal got off far too easily on this. It was a stupid, stupid thing to do for a senior player.
its staggering that the people complaining about this arent equally complaining about Armo taking a dive and getting 50mt in the first
ONLY difference is Armitage missed his shot on goal.

Seeya