Are we definitely looking at getting pick 1 (Boyd)?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we definitely looking at getting pick 1 (Boyd)?

supersaints wrote:Pick one ,
Hope we don't do anything drastic ,I seem to recall Jack Watts going to be the best forward drafted.
It doesn't always pan out , think we should not give too much to upgrade two spots.
Forget were I read an article comparing picks but it showed that two and three had just as good a strike rate as pick one.
Been some ripper number threes....
Don't think Watts was the clear stand out.
IIRC, Melbourne copped quite a bit flak at the time for not taking Natanui.

From what I am hearing, Boyd is a mile ahead of the pack.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:A player is never judged on one game.... Not even 6 games..,

Knee jerk decisions on list managements are costly

I wish you would stick to that principal. You said cripps was no good because he didnt have a photo.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I wish you would stick to that principal. You said cripps was no good because he didnt have a photo.
would sacking a "useless" coach and turning over more than 13 "soft" players in one go be a knee jerk reaction?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I suppose what makes people lick their lips is the thought of having a hulking CHF getting the job done in a grand final for St Kilda. As brilliant as Rooey was he didn't have great grand finals (prelims yes). Although that could also be due to our one-dimensional forward line where they triple teamed him. Those huge forwards seem to come through on grand final day when people start to wilt.

I just can't see anyone we would/could give up with pick 3 to make it happen.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Firstly
I don't think SW should be sacked? Have never posted that? Useless, yes in a few instance he has been

Secondly...13, about right IMO
We need to be an aggressive player in the off season to turn the list over, can't accept the current list.

Thirdly
Didn't say 13 soft players?
Blake, Milne, Kosi.... Not 'soft'

Fourthly
Can't judge their ability on the performance in one game, but the attitude, courage, effort can be judged... I wish though P66 you would report that as it was written, bit like a newspaper headline edit? I didn't buy into the it's ok he's soft because he's young argument that was sprouted.... But a second chance is always afforded. He had that, and really made me eat humble pie... Not... And he makes your argument weaker now, so I'd let that one go through to the keeper...

Fifthly
I as talking about List Managers rating of a listed players performance, in which they'd look at the entire season

BTW
Cripps probably 'pulled out' of his photo session....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Firstly
I don't think SW should be sacked? Have never posted that? Useless, yes in a few instance he has been

Secondly...13, about right IMO
We need to be an aggressive player in the off season to turn the list over, can't accept the current list.

Thirdly
Didn't say 13 soft players?
Blake, Milne, Kosi.... Not 'soft'

Fourthly
Can't judge their ability on the performance in one game, but the attitude, courage, effort can be judged... I wish though P66 you would report that as it was written, bit like a newspaper headline edit? I didn't buy into the it's ok he's soft because he's young argument that was sprouted.... But a second chance is always afforded. He had that, and really made me eat humble pie... Not... And he makes your argument weaker now, so I'd let that one go through to the keeper...

Fifthly
I as talking about List Managers rating of a listed players performance, in which they'd look at the entire season

BTW
Cripps probably 'pulled out' of his photo session....

How has Cripps proved you right. he is playing a fair bit for WCE and even though they are struggling they are going better than us. You must have been one tough player BM. Im scared posting.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you responding to me?

Surely not??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are you responding to me?

Surely not??

Yes I was but as im on foe list i have no idea why you are resonding to me.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Firstly

so you are now backing away from your claim...ok, I'm curious...which instances?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Are you sure it was Cripps?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Are you sure it was Cripps?

100% sure. Now i have no idea if cripps will be good or not but to say that is just plain silly.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The instances which led to me making the comment?!

Over ally, I think he's been about 5/10..... As I believe I stated?! Yes?no?... Remind me?

P66
We've had this discussion before.... You can't seem to comprehend

Of course he isn't crap because he haven't got a photo.... The inference (you have made) is the reverse, I think?

It was a statement that questioned as to why a young footballer, ready to be drafted... Had no photo on the draft tracker, like the other 75 who did??

Only 4/5 in that draft didn't? I felt it odd?? That being said, as I've admitted often, I did next to no research on that draft....2010....Was busy with work and cricket ..... So I had zero idea of Cripps.... Actually beside the first few, I only really knew Darling, because o 09....

Honestly, my first thought when trying to. Research our first pick and finding very little, was here we go, Brad Howard again..... As it turns out, not far away....

suss
Club Player

You two turds sure know how to hijack a thread ...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
supersaints wrote:Pick one ,
Hope we don't do anything drastic ,I seem to recall Jack Watts going to be the best forward drafted.
It doesn't always pan out , think we should not give too much to upgrade two spots.
Forget were I read an article comparing picks but it showed that two and three had just as good a strike rate as pick one.
Been some ripper number threes....
Don't think Watts was the clear stand out.

From what I am hearing, Boyd is a mile ahead of the pack.

Watts won the Larke Medal from recollection.

The thoughts on NicNat was that he didn't do much else by jump high and tap the ball....

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Don't think Watts was the clear stand out.
My memory has it that Watts was a standout and was locked in for the no 1 pick months out

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:You two turds sure know how to hijack a thread ...
Yes but mods clamping down on swearing!!

Ahhh elephant in the room?

“Yeah….nah””
spot on
Club Player

I think we should go for it now. Need to sell hope at least. Can build a whole team around a player like that. Mids will come in due time. Maybe macca and pick 3, for Boyd and there second round(20) might do it

sainters man
Club Player

I think we should trade to get the number 1 pick...So trade pick 3 and Dal Santo (tough decisions have to be made) and a higher pick-- say 60 or 70 for the number 1 pick and a tall defender.

Big forwards rarely come along, and if it's true what they are saying about this Boyd, then i recon we grab him. Riewoldt is on his last legs, Lee is looking good, but will need help. And this might sound silly, but it is easier to find midfielders then it is forwards- powerful forwards.

Thoughts?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
The instances which led to me making the comment?!

Cute. whatever the few instances were (that you refer to) that compelled you to conclude that Scott Watters is useless.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

We would be negligent not to explore the possibility. The wraps on Boyd are huge, potentially a once in a generation player ala Lockett or Coleman. They say he is far better than Paton and Paton will be a gun.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BM Spaanderman didnt dominate anyone at WAFL level before he was drafted .. he was big tall and could run and had a bit of agro about him thats why he was picked not because he was dominating anything or anyone ...

ausfatcat - Watts wasnt the stand out number one in his year it was a toss up between him and NicNat , NicNat had caught the attention of everyone the year before but was too young to be drafted by the time the draft came many would put NicNat ahead of Watts im led to believe that the main reason the Dee's went with Watts was the very strong "go home" risk NicNat came with so Watts was the safer pick for them..

Life Long Saint - your comment on Collingwood is an interesting one but if i recall the time correctly the thought was we would take Roo with pick one and Didak with pick 2 from memory Collingwood were more than content with the prospect of getting Kosi , on draft day St Kilda sent them into a bit of a spin as we chose the two standout bigs in that draft with pick 1 and 2 , so in hinesight year they prob would have loved to have traded up for pick one but at the time saw that pick 3 was going to deliver what they wanted anyway

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:I have heard copious amounts of supposition from the papers that St Kilda could get a deal done for pick 1--essentially to get Boyd. However, I haven't heard any statements or rumors from the club that we are definitely willing to trade for pick 1 from GWS. Has anyone heard anything to suggest that we definitely want Boyd? It can definitely be said that we are best placed, besides Melbourne, to land him.
we might end up last yet...still five games to go.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

its un likely we will end up last :

GWS have Melbourne, Freo, Bris, Rich and GC to come i can see them maybe getting 1 win but not the 4 more needed to overtake us

Melbourne have GWS, GC, Freo, Adl and WB to come - realistically they could come out of this with 3 more wins but more likely will get 1 more

we have Bris, Haw, Syd, GC and Freo to come i would put us as a chance against GC only and ill expect a massive flogging by Hawthorn to push our %

i can see us coming second last and getting pick 2 but we wont get the spoon more likely though we will come third last

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

here is a photo of James Aish being tackled by our very own Nate Wright - must have been the 2012 carnival?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-29/y ... et-to-play

stinger
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:its un likely we will end up last :

GWS have Melbourne, Freo, Bris, Rich and GC to come i can see them maybe getting 1 win but not the 4 more needed to overtake us

Melbourne have GWS, GC, Freo, Adl and WB to come - realistically they could come out of this with 3 more wins but more likely will get 1 more

we have Bris, Haw, Syd, GC and Freo to come i would put us as a chance against GC only and ill expect a massive flogging by Hawthorn to push our %

i can see us coming second last and getting pick 2 but we wont get the spoon more likely though we will come third last

gws have been stacking their reserves side with some of their better and more credentialed players with the excuse by sheedy that they want to see all the boys get senior experience...and at the same time declaring that they want to win that competition.....the nefl.....so as to give the players a winning feeling......they have been flogging former actafl sides buy up to 40 goals....in my view they have been tanking.....might change now...but sheedy will still want to come last ...maybe he thinks one or two wins wouldn't go astray......

...anyway...one of melbourne or gws is going to get a win this next weekend.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.