Dogs/Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Dogs/Saints

Go back 1 year and see how the Dogs were travelling and how pessimistic everyone thought there future was. At the moment everyone can see a bright future for the Bulldogs.This time in 2014 we,ll be in the same situation. There is light at the end of the tunnel and Scott is the man.

busso mick
Club Player

Re: Dogs/Saints

Agree there Tony and lets hope we keep our nerve along the way and draft the youngens like the Dogs have done. Full credit for McArtney for sticking to his principles and for the management to show faith.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Not many of the real young ones even played tonight

but libba a good one

Cooney/Murphy/Grant etc found a new lease of life

but agree we are nearly 2 years behind doggies.......... 2014 our bottom

saint4life
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Go back 1 year and see how the Dogs were travelling and how pessimistic everyone thought there future was. At the moment everyone can see a bright future for the Bulldogs.This time in 2014 we,ll be in the same situation. There is light at the end of the tunnel and Scott is the man.
Disagree. Maybe late 2015 we will see the light.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dogs did well from losing two players to the new franchises then 2 father sons that were good then really good picks and a great senior core.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The Dogs are certainly on the right track. It will be really interesting to see how they will go next year. Will obviously be treated more seriously next season by the stronger clubs and usually means more physical intimidation to younger players. I reckon they've got another season at least of being near the bottom but certainly look like they've got a list to work with.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree
Dogs started their rebuild 18 months before us.

I reckon we can take heart from the dogs and power.
Both showing you can rebuild on a low budget if you are smart .

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Agree

Hey Con you are bang on about the 'smart' bit.

The equalisation system was designed for poorer clubs like the us and the Dogs so we can build a team capable of winning a flag, but you have to be 'smart' about it.

Really we were the first club to use the system successfully, (yeah, yeah, I know we didn't actually...), however we were able to put together a very strong team because of the system and that otherwise wouldn't have been possible for a club like ours. Melbourne are the only club to really stuff it up.

Having said that I can't see why we can't do it again and based on the evidence to-date we have got the process off to a good start. What we as supporters have to do is be patient and accept our position for the next few years while the process takes care of itself. I've seen enough to be confident that the club is in good hands.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Agree

Hey Con you are bang on about the 'smart' bit.

The equalisation system was designed for poorer clubs like the us and the Dogs so we can build a team capable of winning a flag, but you have to be 'smart' about it.

Really we were the first club to use the system successfully, (yeah, yeah, I know we didn't actually...), however we were able to put together a very strong team because of the system and that otherwise wouldn't have been possible for a club like ours. Melbourne are the only club to really stuff it up.

Having said that I can't see why we can't do it again and based on the evidence to-date we have got the process off to a good start. What we as supporters have to do is be patient and accept our position for the next few years while the process takes care of itself. I've seen enough to be confident that the club is in good hands.

we can thank grant thomas for that...refused to trade our early draft picks which the filth, scummers and bumbers of this world thought we had no right to hang onto if they wanted them...called us foolish and arrogant if i remember correctly.....

...hope the lesson has been learnt by watters and co.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
tony74 wrote:Go back 1 year and see how the Dogs were travelling and how pessimistic everyone thought there future was. At the moment everyone can see a bright future for the Bulldogs.This time in 2014 we,ll be in the same situation. There is light at the end of the tunnel and Scott is the man.
Disagree. Maybe late 2015 we will see the light.
Yeah, that would be my feeling too. Regardless of how good Watters is - and I appreciate that tony74 rates him highly - I just can't see how any of the kids can be good enough by the end of next year to make much of a difference for us. Less than five wins next year, unfortunately, and not more than six or seven in 2015.

lloyd21
Club Player

Wright Roberton Ross Murdoch Saunders ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Is that based on anything at all apart from somehow you liking him?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What does it matter if it is?

You take marks off him because your pre-season prediction for win/loss hasn't been met.

Same-same but different isn't it.

SaintWal
Club Player

To me 2015 should be a turnaround year like 2003. 2016 should see us up and about with the young guys now having 50-100 games under the belt. Our issue will be that we are rising as GWS and GC will be at their peak, and I expect their peak to be pretty high. At least there are constant cycles of clubs rising and falling in this era, much needed for the afl to maximize revenue. The old days of the strong clubs buying players and therefore premierships is thankfully behind us.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You take marks off him because your pre-season prediction for win/loss hasn't been met.

No its not the same at all.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i actually reckon that if we had a fit chips gilbert stanley and schneider for most of the year we actually beat the dogies,
not to mention gwilts been playing injuried

what more can the bloke (scotty) do?

missing a big defender
one playing injured (gwilt), one playing injured for a couple of years (fisher) gilbert knee, geez not much you can do there, hence rhys being tried down back
siposs was a beacon across the back flanks for a week or so

plus add in schneider missing all year and playing ross murdoch saunders newnes hickey minch (now) webster wright dunell

i mean crikey we 're lucky WE arent bottom
next year i expect us to be maybe one possibly two spots higher and a par finishing 3rd to bottom again

sure we'll lose a few as well
kozi, most likely blake
and even possibly milney and len dog
and imo we'll really only miss lenny
if dal goes then he goes and saunders is shoved in the middle for my liking

at full pickings of the side (ie. no injuries) i reckon we'll be better than most people think

mehh 2cents

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

It's always interesting to me to see the speculation about the future fortunes of "this-club-or-that" based on draft picks etc. With the high draft picks that Carlton enjoyed from 2003-2008 one would have thought they would have been playing off in at least one Grand Final, instead they now face the prospect of a major overhaul of their list. Same story with Melbourne (re draft picks) and Richmond. The GWS & GC will be competing in finals in a matter of a few years (according to the pundits/experts) this will diminish their supply of high draft picks, though free agency still gives them access to star players. The simple truth is that whilst we can speculate as much as we like, history will unfold as it WILL, not as the "experts" forecast it to. Now, in 2012 with the appointment of the new coach and head of the football department, I was getting myself geared up for a tilt at the flag in 2015! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:To me 2015 should be a turnaround year like 2003. 2016 should see us up and about with the young guys now having 50-100 games under the belt. Our issue will be that we are rising as GWS and GC will be at their peak, and I expect their peak to be pretty high. At least there are constant cycles of clubs rising and falling in this era, much needed for the afl to maximize revenue. The old days of the strong clubs buying players and therefore premierships is thankfully behind us.
What about the AFL endorsed salary cap cheats Sydney?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

"Salary cap cheats" ? :shock:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Is it because of what that bloke that runs the Newsagency told your Dad about SW earlier this year?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Is it because of what that bloke that runs the Newsagency told your Dad about SW earlier this year?

Another fantasy. Do you have them about women to?

southernsaint
Club Player

Im very happy with the way the club is handling this re-build. Its a bit diffrent to the 2000-2003 re-build. Dont think we will have as many players traded in this time from other clubs to short cut the process so it may take a little longer but we are two years into it. Time will tell such things but at this point in time im wrapped with scotty, the pelican and the recruitng and list management team. Go sainters

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Another fantasy. Do you have them about women to?
I dooo! But I don't get bent out of shape when they don't come true ya big sook!

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Well you know I could
A) Be the brother of a current player
B) Have a man crush on Scott
C) Work for the club

But you wouldn't believe me anyway.

P.S. He is very good though.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i actually reckon that if we had a fit chips gilbert stanley and schneider for most of the year we actually beat the dogies,
not to mention gwilts been playing injuried

what more can the bloke (scotty) do?

missing a big defender
one playing injured (gwilt), one playing injured for a couple of years (fisher) gilbert knee, geez not much you can do there, hence rhys being tried down back
siposs was a beacon across the back flanks for a week or so

plus add in schneider missing all year and playing ross murdoch saunders newnes hickey minch (now) webster wright dunell

i mean crikey we 're lucky WE arent bottom
next year i expect us to be maybe one possibly two spots higher and a par finishing 3rd to bottom again

sure we'll lose a few as well
kozi, most likely blake
and even possibly milney and len dog
and imo we'll really only miss lenny
if dal goes then he goes and saunders is shoved in the middle for my liking

at full pickings of the side (ie. no injuries) i reckon we'll be better than most people think

mehh 2cents

Add Gram and Goddard and maybe even Zac and we would hold our own in more close ones. We have been decimated down back. Roberton is about the only defender to play every game and most on here thought he was a waste of a spot after the first praccy match.