Who doesnt have a contract for 2014?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who doesnt have a contract for 2014?

noob wrote:Well if that's the case bergholt we should trade Riewoldt. Been such a loyal servant for so long he deserves the right to play for another club.
Has he asked to be traded?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Our three retirees (Possibly a 4th)?
Delist.... TDL, Ledger apparently, Saad, Lever.
Rookies....All who are not promoted should go. They have all had two years in the system, Ferguson three. I dont think we can keep them anyway.
Trade......Dal if we can get a pick under 25 for him. McEvoy if we can trade him to GWS for their pick 10 and a sweetener.

rexy
SS Life Member

3 retirements, assume Saad comes off the list? TDL gone, Ledger most likely but I don't like it! I would consider trading a couple of the likes of Gwilt, Gilbert, Maister, Stanley, Sippos if there are suitable offers. I would consider trading bigger names at their request! Tough question, we are 3rd bottom but our list is developing and i think improving without much to show for it. You would think we want at least 5 new faces.

Maybe this year?
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

What do we do with Saad?

Assuming he is found guilty and assuming he gets the maximum 2 year ban do we keep him on the list? 2 years without being able to play any competitive sport is a long time.

I know he has to be found guilty first and I am speculating on a punishment if he is found guilty but I am basing this on the VFL player who last year got suspended for 2 years for basically doing a very similar thing.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Retired
Milne
Kosi
Blake

Delisting
Ledger
TDL (pretty sure he would have signed for 2 should just delist to free up a space)
Saad
CJ (apparently re-signed, shouldnt have been)
Lever

Rookies gone
Ferg
Staley

Rookie upgrade Curren
Kept rookies
Shenton
Minchington

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Saad. If suspended for two years or even one year we could not afford to keep him. We could promise to pick him up again when his suspension is up, but that's about it.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Retirees: Blake, Kosi, Milne

Upgrade: Curren

Delist: TDL (not shown enough up forward and too light weight for midfield),
Saad (if he is suspended he does not have enough credit in the bank to be held on the list),
Maister (Is behind Roo, Lee and Stanley with Hickey and Macca resting forward he has no role and is not young enough to improve greatly),
Lever or Ferg (Keep one Re-Rookie the other),
Staley,
Dunell ???

Keep: Shenton, Minchington.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Saad. If suspended for two years or even one year we could not afford to keep him. We could promise to pick him up again when his suspension is up, but that's about it.

if we delist him then we only should pick him up as a rookie as he can't even play anywhere for 2 years (if he gets the max)

noob
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
noob wrote:Well if that's the case bergholt we should trade Riewoldt. Been such a loyal servant for so long he deserves the right to play for another club.
Has he asked to be traded?
Has Dal Santo? Or do you know information at the club that he has?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:
bergholt wrote:Has he asked to be traded?
Has Dal Santo? Or do you know information at the club that he has?
My original post said "What if they come to you and say they want to go somewhere where they can win a flag?" - there was no implication that that had actually happened.

It was in response to someone suggesting that a loyal servant has "earned the right" to be a one-club player. Seems to me that Goddard had been a loyal servant but many are unhappy with him leaving, so maybe all his loyalty earned him was the right to keep being loyal. Apparently his choice to leave is not seen as valid.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Can we keep any of our rookies not upgraded? They have all had their two years on the list, except Ferg who has had three. Can we just keep them on for a third year, and fourth for Ferg?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Another point on the rookies. The club has had two years to study them. They should know by now who is worthwhile continuing with and who is not. Those kept at this stage should be promoted. They dont need more than two years as rookies.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Can we keep any of our rookies not upgraded? They have all had their two years on the list, except Ferg who has had three. Can we just keep them on for a third year, and fourth for Ferg?

You can have them forver as rookies but after 3 years you dont have anymore rights on them.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Another point on the rookies. The club has had two years to study them. They should know by now who is worthwhile continuing with and who is not. Those kept at this stage should be promoted. They dont need more than two years as rookies.
But if you like a rookie as a player and think he's still developing but there isn't a spot left for him on the main list, why wouldn't you want to keep him as a rookie even if he has been there for three years?

lefty
Club Player

BTW, anyone think Hurley might come over? Seems he wants out and was a mad Saints fan. Has a contract but apparently will have grounds to contest it due to all the crap that went on at Essendon as a genuine reason to end his contract early.

Thoughts?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:BTW, anyone think Hurley might come over? Seems he wants out and was a mad Saints fan. Has a contract but apparently will have grounds to contest it due to all the crap that went on at Essendon as a genuine reason to end his contract early.

Thoughts?
Surely any Bomber player represents a risk to any club. Not much use to us if they're forced to sit out for 2 years.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Fraak Hurley overrated. Zarahrakis is another story.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
sverik25
Club Player

I really think Maister should go and I'm not sold on Simpkin. As for TDL, maybe keep him one more year - it would be a complete waste of a trade to get rid of him.

I hope Dal stays but I'm not convinced - he doesn't seem to have quite the same passion for the club as Lenny and Roo.

sverik25
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Our three retirees (Possibly a 4th)?
Delist.... TDL, Ledger apparently, Saad, Lever.
Rookies....All who are not promoted should go. They have all had two years in the system, Ferguson three. I dont think we can keep them anyway.
Trade......Dal if we can get a pick under 25 for him. McEvoy if we can trade him to GWS for their pick 10 and a sweetener.
Why would we get rid of McEvoy? Our only other option is Hickey and he's not ready yet. Besides Macca has great leadership potential.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I am surprised by the lack of love for Simokin and Dunell. I think they are both worth keeping, especially Simpkin. I know he had a shyte year but he Iis worth giving another summer to see if he is wiling to work his arse of to get back to some of that good firm he showed last year. If not then delist him next year. I think Dunnell has done enough to get at least 1 more year to see if he can make ut

I love this club
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:I am surprised by the lack of love for Simokin and Dunell. I think they are both worth keeping, especially Simpkin. I know he had a shyte year but he Iis worth giving another summer to see if he is wiling to work his arse of to get back to some of that good firm he showed last year. If not then delist him next year. I think Dunnell has done enough to get at least 1 more year to see if he can make ut

Simpkin might need to reinvent himself if he wants to play at the Saints. We need a KPB and unless he can take Gwilts spot he is probably not going to play too many in the near future. I wish we would try him in a forward post where he could use some of his defensive game to be a Hammill style CH forward

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:I am surprised by the lack of love for Simokin and Dunell. I think they are both worth keeping, especially Simpkin. I know he had a shyte year but he Iis worth giving another summer to see if he is wiling to work his arse of to get back to some of that good firm he showed last year. If not then delist him next year. I think Dunnell has done enough to get at least 1 more year to see if he can make ut

Simpkin might need to reinvent himself if he wants to play at the Saints. We need a KPB and unless he can take Gwilts spot he is probably not going to play too many in the near future. I wish we would try him in a forward post where he could use some of his defensive game to be a Hammill style CH forward

Apart from being hard at it I dont think he has any forward skills at all. He is a true backman and if there is no spot for him there then he is delisted like many will be shortly. By the way i would keep him. i like the way he plays and this year has been injury riddled and its unfair to judge him on his output.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Apart from being hard at it I dont think he has any forward skills at all. He is a true backman and if there is no spot for him there then he is delisted like many will be shortly. By the way i would keep him. i like the way he plays and this year has been injury riddled and its unfair to judge him on his output.
I think he is worth a try up foward. But I also think if he gets an injury free run and preseason then he could challenge Gwilt for a spot. I know we need a big Blackman, but we don't have one now and he is at least hard at it

I love this club
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I think he is worth a try up foward. But I also think if he gets an injury free run and preseason then he could challenge Gwilt for a spot. I know we need a big Blackman, but we don't have one now and he is at least hard at it

Racist.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

C'mon pluggs, you've been crying out for a big black man all year…