Nettlefold on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: Nettlefold on SEN

We lost 2 GFs by a whisker.

It wasn't our 'culture' that caused these losses.

Had we had an ounce of luck/assistance from the AFL, we'd be a back to back premier and one of the great teams of all time. Then suddenly, dudes walking around nude in the privacy of their hotel room or dudes having neurotic girlfriends wouldn't even make the news. And if it did, it would be taken on face value and no one would give a s***.

During the GF years, I heard opposition coaches and players refer to us as having 'great leaders' and were the benchmark in that regard.
We now lose games, and suddenly it's our culture again?

Please.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Can I suggest one big difference between what happens here with us and in Brisbane?

When is the Courier Mail ever going to go out if its way and publish tabloid trash particularly eight pages in after the rugby, because one salacious article and the Lions would shut down any future interviews etc with its players as retribution and leave the paper highlighting that profile club the Gold Coast Suns.

We sell papers and if newspaper doesn't publish it to se a rise in circulation, the other one will. Even if the are a club sponsor.

Kickit
Club Player

PJ wrote:Chart a course out of the aged player list left by Lyon towards a rapid rebuild (5 years or so)It would be an easier option temporarily to use the senior players to get us higher up the ladder and try and top up as we go. Which IMO would mean disaster.

So which team has won a premiership using the "Tank for years and rebuild " method.

santazzi
Club Player

Mullet....I hear you loud and clear!!!

Big Mart I think, with respect, you may be missing Mullet's point.....He is saying "culture" does not exist....it is a fiction created by the media to sell papers....so if you accept this premise there is no point in asking whether Port has bad or good culture

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:
PJ wrote:Chart a course out of the aged player list left by Lyon towards a rapid rebuild (5 years or so)It would be an easier option temporarily to use the senior players to get us higher up the ladder and try and top up as we go. Which IMO would mean disaster.

So which team has won a premiership using the "Tank for years and rebuild " method.
Hawthorn
West Coast
Collingwood

mullet
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So mullet are you saying Port now have a good culture?

At least the club isn't shying away from the issues and making excuses like supporters do.... First admit it, and deal with it...

When is the last time Sydney had to deal with rubbish?
I dont subscribe to the whole "culture" crap.

People stuff up. All clubs.

What I am saying is when one of our players has a brain fade , the press jump on the whole culture bultish.

The football public love it.

But, Collingwood players have done far worse things, and yet there is no mention of "culture" there.

Also not saying we are victims either, just that the press love to run with a story on the saints if it is bad, so they can roll out the "culture" word again.

We have one of the most admired footballers ever in Lenny, and yet we still have a bad "culture". They choose to see the bad and not the good.
There are good and bad people in all clubs, businesses etc.
I have employees who do dumb things, but it isnt because of the culture of my business.

as I said, culture smulture.

Oh and when talking of the swans, dont forget all the money that got poured into them in the early days, and the AFL executive found dead with a prostitute while supposedly up
there setting up the club. "culture"

PJ
SS Life Member

Agree Mullet it (culture) has just become a buzz word that every sheep reading the paper follows.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Agree Mullet it (culture) has just become a buzz word that every sheep reading the paper follows.
Thanks PJ that is exactly what I am saying, but who says I am right, everyone has their own opinion.

I just think the players are better off trying to better themselves than trying to change how others see them.

Thats why the whole bubble thing was good.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

maverick wrote:
Kickit wrote:

Hawthorn
West Coast
Collingwood
Let's talk about the culture of the three above clubs.

Hawthorn "the family club" continues with a court injunction we're not allowed to discuss either here or on any media outlet.

West Coast, coached by an real life pharmacist who didn't ask the guy who flatlined in Las Vegas as to what happened to him or others he must suspected were on various chemicals during the season.

Collingwood how many suppression orders, hidden stores do we want to discuss? That's the power of a media identity who can bully and threaten whoever he likes so a story isn't published.

So we can become an easy target not helped by the players thoughtlessness contributing to their win stories.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

A slight digression but I have never understood mad monday. It is such a throw back to neanderthal days of football. These guys are supposed to be professionals. And after their last day of work they lock themselves in a pub and get ripped. How professional is that?Why can't they pack a bag and go on holidays with their family like every other sucker does?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

On the culture thing - every club has one. Not all of them good. Just because you win doesn't mean your culture is good and just because you don't doesn't mean it's bad. Acceptable behaviour defines culture. Norms define culture. It is a cultivated behaviour. It is patterns and learned behaviours, values and rituals. And it belongs to every one at the club not the president not the players....all of them. And like it or not it infiltrates every action.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Let's talk about the culture of the three above clubs.

Hawthorn "the family club" continues with a court injunction we're not allowed to discuss either here or on any media outlet.

West Coast, coached by an real life pharmacist who didn't ask the guy who flatlined in Las Vegas as to what happened to him or others he must suspected were on various chemicals during the season.

Collingwood how many suppression orders, hidden stores do we want to discuss? That's the power of a media identity who can bully and threaten whoever he likes so a story isn't published.

So we can become an easy target not helped by the players thoughtlessness contributing to their win stories.
Exactly, I always thought culture was part of countries because everyone does it, and it is special to that country.
I thought "culture" was a quaint word not a derogatory term.

As someone else said, it is a buzzword.

Like Dermie on Friday night trying to introduce "surgical" into the commentary. WTF

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:A slight digression but I have never understood mad monday. It is such a throw back to neanderthal days of football. These guys are supposed to be professionals. And after their last day of work they lock themselves in a pub and get ripped. How professional is that?Why can't they pack a bag and go on holidays with their family like every other sucker does?

It's no different to any work breakup party.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Nonsense - to think it only applies to countries is a narrow view of it. I've coached an Australian martial arts team at 3 world champs, I've trained at almost every club in Australia. Why do some clubs train harder than others? Because that's what is acceptable. Why do some clubs treat newcomers or teachers with different levels of respect? Because that is what is acceptable. These are the norms that the senior people in any group of people deem to be appropriate.

The press doesn't know crap about culture are an AFL club because they are not there day in day out. But to say they create it is nonsense. No culture is perfect - but some are better than others. Nobody is holding any club up as the perfect culture regardless of their win/loss record. And there will always be transgressions - it is how the group handle them that defines the culture. We have handled them poorly otherwise we would no longer have issues like setting a dwarf on fire.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
fingers wrote:A slight digression but I have never understood mad monday. It is such a throw back to neanderthal days of football. These guys are supposed to be professionals. And after their last day of work they lock themselves in a pub and get ripped. How professional is that?Why can't they pack a bag and go on holidays with their family like every other sucker does?

Seriously? WHere the hell do you work? I've never seen nonsense like that in 30 years of working.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Admitted we have a long way to go culturally..... Never defended the actions ..... and said he was in disbelief when he found out about Monday.

Said the players were absolutely embarrassed by the incident.... And cancelled the B&F after party

Good interview.... Really struggled to explain why we were not professional enough, but was honest enough to admit and was strong in the fact that we need to get better in many areas....
Maybe he is not a leader?

He has never seemed like a leader of a football club and though this, apparently, we have a terrible culture?

To me we have a football club culture. There is nothing wrong with this. It is a bunch of dumb-ass blokes with limited education or life-experience coming together and subsequently, the results are what anyone would expect.

So what is so terrible about our culture Michael?

Sainter93
Club Player

I think Mullett summed it up perfectly. Work extremely hard this pre-season, things can turn around quickly and the rewards will come. Just don't be d***heads

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

Seriously? WHere the hell do you work? I've never seen nonsense like that in 30 years of working.
I've worked at 'big 4' accounting firms and law firms, and the difference between the breakup parties (and other functions) is minuscule compared to the footy and cricket club functions I've been involved in.

Feral.

The outrage that goes on flabbergasts me.

defacto
Club Player

Johnny Member wrote: It's no different to any work breakup party.

Seriously? WHere the hell do you work? I've never seen nonsense like that in 30 years of working.[/quote]

I've worked at 'big 4' accounting firms and law firms, and the difference between the breakup parties (and other functions) is minuscule compared to the footy and cricket club functions I've been involved in.

Feral.

The outrage that goes on flabbergasts me.[/quote]

sure ya do buddy

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

?

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Fingers wrote:Seriously? WHere the hell do you work? I've never seen nonsense like that in 30 years of working.
Johnny Member wrote:I've worked at 'big 4' accounting firms and law firms, and the difference between the breakup parties (and other functions) is minuscule compared to the footy and cricket club functions I've been involved in.

Feral.

The outrage that goes on flabbergasts me.
Fair enough but as a partner at one of those "Big 4" I've seen lots of people get drunk but never the sort of nonsense I see footballers get up to.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

From the HUN-

"COLLINGWOOD coach Nathan Buckley says the Pies' worst performance of the year will lead to an internal examination of the club's culture."

So it's all about the "culture" these days or as they say in Queensland "cultcha mate"

Good luck with that.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:From the HUN-

"COLLINGWOOD coach Nathan Buckley says the Pies' worst performance of the year will lead to an internal examination of the club's culture."

So it's all about the "culture" these days or as they say in Queensland "cultcha mate"

Good luck with that.
Yeah I saw that, and thought , there's that word again.

Maybe he cant coach, nah its cultcha

Maybe they rely on too few, nah its cultcha

Maybe they recruited badly, lynch? , nah its cultcha

Maybe Heath Shaw is a penchulant child, nah its cultcha

Maybe they had big heads, Eddie complaining of 6 day break before they had won, nah its cultcha

I reckon I could sell them some special pills to fix the cultcha and they would believe me.

I really am getting sick of the word, but thanks ozrules, using cultcha makes it easier

fingers
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:

Good luck with that.

Maybe they had big heads, Eddie complaining of 6 day break before they had won, nah its cultcha

I reckon I could sell them some special pills to fix the cultcha and they would believe me.

I really am getting sick of the word, but thanks ozrules, using cultcha makes it easier
Do you even understand the meaning of the word?

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

mullet wrote:

Good luck with that.

You're welcome.

:D