Dal Santo to North Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Santo to North Melbourne

maverick wrote: I just think he has the most currency personally.
I don't think he cruises at all, it's damn hard breaking a tag, as Jack will find out next year no doubt.
If we land a serviceable key back or two, get some salary cap relief and a mid 20's draft pick then it's probably about right.
If he stays and we sign him for 2+ years front loaded fair enough, if he stays for the extension only, poor IMHO.

jack got tagged late season but they can't keep up with those little legs when he starts motoring. Speed is a very handy weapon against taggers. Dal can make it look like he has lots of time but he needs space to work in. Dal's thing is pin point accuracy and vision both get stifled when tagged.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Delaney can't get a game?! So it's pick 26 for dal. Rubbish trade if true
Agree, rubbish to get only pick 26
Are we happy paying him over 500K a year?
It's not just the draft pick and potential player, it's also the salary cap room.
What happens next year when he is a free agent?
We will get nothing.
Watters. Has made it clear that we have no salary cap issues anymore, getting pick 26( if that's correct) then I think he is far more valuable on a mentor role.

I love this club
Kickit
Club Player

maverick wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Delaney can't get a game?! So it's pick 26 for dal. Rubbish trade if true
It's not just the draft pick and potential player, it's also the salary cap room.
We will get nothing.
Vet list, so I don't give a rats.

savatage
SS Life Member

spert wrote:NDS has been a serviceable player for us this year, not really busting a gut and no game breaker. This is the hard choice to make- keep an older player who's best is behind him, or do a deal and grab the defenders we badly need to build the next successful team.
To me it's not a hard choice. I know what I'd do. I understand people being emotional over a favourite of theirs too by the same token - but it's not like Dal's 24 years old & in his peak. His best is past him. If we can get our holes plugged (Delaney & Bruce essentially for him) then I would do it.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:I think its hilarious that we all hang crap on players like Bj and Ball when they walk out on the club but in the very next thread we are happy to cut loose loyal champions of the club because we think they are past their use-by date.
I spoke to Dal at length at the B&F and he is so passionate about the saints and definitely wants to stay, but to his credit, he said that he would always do whats best for the club and would accept a trade if thats what they wanted.
A true champion and good role model, something that we are in need of at our club and certainly worth more than a second rate defender and a second round pick.
Unlike BJ and Ball (though i have no probs with the latter), Dal isn't walking out on the club or being forced/threatened into moving.

Pick 9 for Dal is seemingly an amazing win to us and an offer i don't think we can refuse.

Long term, it's a huge win for us whilst in the short term Nth get a quick fix to press their chances.

Personally, i think Dal is a clever guy. He knows his time is nearing an end on our list. He's got maybe 2 seasons left and with the team set to struggle, he will come under increased scrutiny in the media and from supporters.

Alternatively, Dal could spend his last few seasons playing finals and have 1more shot at that elusive flag.

I can't see how this isn't a win win for all concerned. Even if he goes, he will always be regarded as a life long saint for mine, loyal to the end

Richter
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:I think its hilarious that we all hang crap on players like Bj and Ball when they walk out on the club but in the very next thread we are happy to cut loose loyal champions of the club because we think they are past their use-by date.
I spoke to Dal at length at the B&F and he is so passionate about the saints and definitely wants to stay, but to his credit, he said that he would always do whats best for the club and would accept a trade if thats what they wanted.
A true champion and good role model, something that we are in need of at our club and certainly worth more than a second rate defender and a second round pick.
God Dal is almost suspiciously nice - maybe he's got people locked up in his basement or something. If he's being floated as trade bait I've got to believe Watters has a bit of an issue with him at some level. I reckon Watters wants all mids to be able to win their own ball.
He's just a nice, smart middle class boy from a regional family. I know because I vaguely know his folks, though I have never met Dal. Sensible, fun, pleasant, supportive parents who have instilled good values to their kids.

THe story you regale BBMD does not surprise me in the least.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:
maverick wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
We will get nothing.
Vet list, so I don't give a rats.
Vet list
Nick
Lenny
Joey

sainter#4
Club Player

as much as i would like delaney - Him and pick 26 (?) are not worth dal. I really don't see why we cant play hard ball and have to be bent over here. Ask for a FIRST ROUND PICK - nothing less.

"The three-time All-Australian has become an even more appealing trade target after an outstanding finish to the season, averaging 29 possessions in his last seven games."

There was only 3 games this year where nick ended up with less then 20 disposals as well as using most of them efficiently. You dont just trade away stars unless the deal suits you and i dont see how this does.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Anyone know what surgery it was he had?

Relatively fit and on the park.

Should have a chat to BJ and Ball and give it some deep thought.

Interestingly on the last hot seat, he was a nomination for always getting a spray.

He lacks urgency, but oozes polish.

Everyone on here said Pelchen hinted at an unpopular decision.

Doesn't he have a rep of being notoriously hard to deal with?

Not sure he'll give him away.

luckysaint
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Pick 9 for Dal is seemingly an amazing win to us and an offer i don't think we can refuse.
Who's offering pick 9?

savatage
SS Life Member

Yeah there's no-one in their right mind that would offer anywhere near that. Pick 9 would be for Father and Son anyway.

Richter
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:Unlike BJ and Ball (though i have no probs with the latter), Dal isn't walking out on the club or being forced/threatened into moving.

Pick 9 for Dal is seemingly an amazing win to us and an offer i don't think we can refuse.

Long term, it's a huge win for us whilst in the short term Nth get a quick fix to press their chances.

Personally, i think Dal is a clever guy. He knows his time is nearing an end on our list. He's got maybe 2 seasons left and with the team set to struggle, he will come under increased scrutiny in the media and from supporters.

Alternatively, Dal could spend his last few seasons playing finals and have 1more shot at that elusive flag.

I can't see how this isn't a win win for all concerned. Even if he goes, he will always be regarded as a life long saint for mine, loyal to the end
Agree with what you say about the win/win element.

I don't agree that we'll get #9 for him. I think we may end up with Delaney and #28. Possibly a swap of later picks too (our #60 for their #48).

I wonder if we might then look to swap #28 and #20 for a higher pick... say #13-15? Or even #11 from Collingwood (Dale Thomas compo pick).

We would then use #40 or #48 on Bruce, swap Ledger for Michie..... leaving us with #3, #13, #48 in the draft. Pick 2 mids with the top 20 picks.

Another option might be to send McEvoy, #28 to GWS for #9 and Bruce and consider using #40 or #48 on a mature ruckman.
Last edited by Richter on Wed 11 Sep 2013 12:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
dragit
Saintsational Legend

luckysaint wrote:
skeptic wrote: Pick 9 for Dal is seemingly an amazing win to us and an offer i don't think we can refuse.
Who's offering pick 9?
Exactly, not sure where that came from, but it's not happening.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
luckysaint wrote:
Who's offering pick 9?
Exactly, not sure where that came from, but it's not happening.
Correct, 9 will be used be Norf to get McDonald. This has to be done pre trade so it simply won't be available for trading

I love this club
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Do we really want Dal (like BJ) or do we want to cash in his currency and his high wage?
I don't think his wage is a massive issue - we'll be pretty close to the minimum next year, surely?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

The Filth forum reporting that Dal was seen leaving Westpac Centre with Eade this morning.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Im not getting too excited

Firstly, if Delaney was that good wouldn't he have forced his way into the team ?. (Same with Bruce)
Secondly, we are giving up a definite starting midfielder/half back, for an unproven defender and maybe a mid-2nd round draft pick who 'may' be a starting player in 3 years from now. Now we could end up with 2 winners, or 2 list cloggers, but the odds are we don't end up with anyone of the same quality as what we gave up. So Id be saying to North you have to find a way to make the deal a bit tastier or get your hands on a first round pick.

Personally if I was a young mid/hb that got drafted by the Saints this year, NDS would be one of those players I would just follow and try and learn as much as possible from . that's where his value to us is.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
maverick wrote:Do we really want Dal (like BJ) or do we want to cash in his currency and his high wage?
I don't think his wage is a massive issue - we'll be pretty close to the minimum next year, surely?
Not so sure about that.
Roo, Lenny, Joey will all be on good coin still
If we want to attract one or two key defenders we will need to pay overs and if we then want a free agent next year we need some room I reckon.
Paying Dal big coin at the end of his career doesn't set a good example to up and comers about what they could and should earn.
If he takes a cut over 3 years, different story...

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The club needs to get this one right. What is right - I don't know.

To lose Ball, Goddard and Dal is not a good look.

For Dal to want to leave, is not a good look.

However we need to rebuild.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dal doesn't want to.

It will ultimately be up to Pelchen I guess.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-09-11/dal ... ts-to-stay

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Dal doesn't want to.

Good news - lets keep him.

Free from a tag on the HBF, is is just as effective ad bj was last year.

Develop the mids without him there, let him run around without a tag and occasional venture into the midfield.

Still only 28 - got a good four or five seasons in him. Doesn't seem to get injured and still moves well.

Can be of great value.

We dont need to offer him up unless it is a HUGE deal in our favour.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
savatage
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:

Develop the mids without him there, let him run around without a tag and occasional venture into the midfield.

Still only 28 - got a good four or five seasons in him. Doesn't seem to get injured and still moves well.

Can be of great value.

Not disagreeing with a lot of what you say - but he'll be 30 before the next season starts.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Can be of great value.

Not disagreeing with a lot of what you say - but he'll be 30 before the next season starts.
How can he be still 28 but turn 30 before the start of next season? :lol:

savatage
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:
How can he be still 28 but turn 30 before the start of next season? :lol:
LOL - well this was my point :) He's born Feb 1984 for the record.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

He ranks

4th at contested possession
5th at clearances
7th at tackles

..at the the third bottom side. He will be 30 before the 2014 season.
that is what he is worth. ~Pick 20-25 imho.