Surely we can get a forward off GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Surely we can get a forward off GWS

Think Boyd is going to be a better player than Patton, I would be pushing for him if we are giving up Ben.

Beekay
SS Life Member

clint jones is moved on.

patton takes the his number...

was patton from a saints family?

would have just a wee bit of romance to it.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane said we have small forwards coming out of our ears. Not any more. Milne retired. Saad likely to be missing. TDL very disappointing. Minch still a rookie. Milera more for further up the ground. Probably small forwards will be one of our weaknesses next season if we dont recruit one or two.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Some suggest Minchington will be upgraded? Plus Curren & Ledger could also play that role...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saints66
Club Player

Kickit wrote:
Munga wrote:
FQF wrote:If GWS, as expected, get Tom Boyd, and then also Buddy Franklin, with Cameron and Patton, they will end up with a list of key forwards probably unprecedented at any club ever. It is actually astounding.

It was reported in the Age that Cameron would be happy to move to CHB to accommodate everyone, but to put an AA full forward at CHB just to make room seems rather absurd in itself.

Surely we can snare one of them? Any will do.
Still think our 2004 forward line was ace:

Gehrig, Riewoldt, Kosi, Hamill, Milne, Guerra.
If only we had Schnieder instead of Guerra.
why

Kickit
Club Player

Because ( as it turns out ) Guerra is a better defender than forward, and can miss point blank goals at vital times.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Kickit wrote:Because ( as it turns out ) Guerra is a better defender than forward, and can miss point blank goals at vital times.
And Schneider can't? Have you forgotten the 2009 Grand Final?

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:...they have recruited Pierce for the long term.
gringo wrote:We have Stanley and pierce to back up Hickey...
Pierce? He's not 19 yet and he's built like a piece of spaghetti. He's years away - if he even makes it.

Kickit
Club Player

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:
Kickit wrote:Because ( as it turns out ) Guerra is a better defender than forward, and can miss point blank goals at vital times.
Whatever. I just think Guerra is only a good forward If you compare to someone like Andrew McQualter. If you want to go round thinking he's a great forward go right ahead.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Hurricane wrote:It's nice to think we can benefit from their embarressment of riches but a forward is the last thing that should be on the recruiters minds.

Lee has shown that he will go ok. We have Spencer White waiting in the wings with big wraps. Beau Namechange is handy on his day. We have smalls coming out of our ears.

If it's announced we've gone ahead and traded for a forward before a desperately needed defender or midfielder ill puke

BANG BANG
Tommy Lee will be a much better player IMO if he can play as the 2nd tall & have another key forward to take some of the heat.

Spencer will be boom or bust IMO... Come to think of it, I reckon he'll benefit from being a freewheeling, up & down the ground target. We need a big rock for those two to play their natural game around.

Beau is purely & simply depth...

I think it's inevitable that we will take another key forward, be it this year or next year.

Adding Patton would be fantastic & give us a forward line to build the rest of the team around.

Comparing such a forward line to Hawthorns;

Lee plays the Gunston role
Patton plays the Roughhead role
White is Buddy Mark II
I'm more than ok with us picking up another key forward but we can put together a front 6 from what we have that can kick a score. All I am saying is we need to fill the gaping and obvious holes in the squad first.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Kickit
Club Player

I wouldn't mind us throwing a Rookie pick at "Sideshow Ben"

http://werribee.starcommunity.com.au/st ... ig-chance/

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Hurricane wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:
Hurricane wrote:It's nice to think we can benefit from their embarressment of riches but a forward is the last thing that should be on the recruiters minds.

Lee has shown that he will go ok. We have Spencer White waiting in the wings with big wraps. Beau Namechange is handy on his day. We have smalls coming out of our ears.

If it's announced we've gone ahead and traded for a forward before a desperately needed defender or midfielder ill puke

BANG BANG
Tommy Lee will be a much better player IMO if he can play as the 2nd tall & have another key forward to take some of the heat.

Spencer will be boom or bust IMO... Come to think of it, I reckon he'll benefit from being a freewheeling, up & down the ground target. We need a big rock for those two to play their natural game around.

Beau is purely & simply depth...

I think it's inevitable that we will take another key forward, be it this year or next year.

Adding Patton would be fantastic & give us a forward line to build the rest of the team around.

Comparing such a forward line to Hawthorns;

Lee plays the Gunston role
Patton plays the Roughhead role
White is Buddy Mark II
I'm more than ok with us picking up another key forward but we can put together a front 6 from what we have that can kick a score. All I am saying is we need to fill the gaping and obvious holes in the squad first.

BANG BANG
Absolutely... by the sounds of it that is likely to happen with Bruce & Delaney. I do think that supporters are throwing too many eggs in the Spencer White basket when he's a massive unknown. When Roo goes (probably in 12 months time) we'll have Tommy, Rhys & Spencer.... a lot of question marks there!

Just saying that it's not mutually exclusive & I'm sure that Pelchen will be trying to lock in quality across the board.

A McEvoy & Fisher for Patton & Bruce (plus a few picks exchanged) would be ideal. Delaney for a 4th rounder or PSD & we'll still have an early pick, 2nd rounder, etc for young mids.

lloyd21
Club Player

I agree with the comment of Pierce being thin, but just consider some things.

Pierce killed "Grundy " in the U /18's Champ's would be very confident in him "making it "and have personally seen him play in the VFL this year.

I luv McEvoy but StKfc list has a number of holes in it and they have to trade to improve it.

Who knows big boy may stay they might not get deal done.

Royston
Club Player

I can't see GWS trading any of their forwards this year, even with / if Buddy arrives.
Patton - out with a knee until whenever....will take a little while (2015) to get up and going.
Boyd, while a big unit by all reports, will take time before he hits his straps, a la Tom Hawkins.
So they have Cameron & possibly Buddy ready to go Round 1 next year and the other 2 are basically works in progress
until they are ready to slot in.

saints66
Club Player

Kickit wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:
Whatever. I just think Guerra is only a good forward If you compare to someone like Andrew McQualter. If you want to go round thinking he's a great forward go right ahead.
did you see the goal Guerra kicked just then in the Preliminary Final? Much better player than McQualter wether he is playing back or forward. I would also say he is a much better player than Schneider forward or back.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Guerra is killing it tonight awesome game.

Rosco
Club Player

is the general's knee ok?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:is the general's knee ok?

should be.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Such a shame GT got rid of Guerra.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
Marcus1232
Club Player

and the fact that patton was a massive saints fan as a kid.. His career hasnt really got going so i am sure he still has a soft spot for us and would make it easier for him to accept to a deal at the saints

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Think Boyd is going to be a better player than Patton, I would be pushing for him if we are giving up Ben.

i think there are some similarities. Hawkins and Cloke took a long time to be players too remember. Boyd will probably be similar to those guys or like Daniher from Essendon. Patton comes two years into his development program and as long as the knee heals alright he should be a very good player. Boyd will probably be a very good player too but it's a bit early to call yet. i think there is a sense that Patton is genuinely gettable this year but might not in another 3 years.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
dragit wrote:Think Boyd is going to be a better player than Patton, I would be pushing for him if we are giving up Ben.

i think there are some similarities. Hawkins and Cloke took a long time to be players too remember. Boyd will probably be similar to those guys or like Daniher from Essendon. Patton comes two years into his development program and as long as the knee heals alright he should be a very good player. Boyd will probably be a very good player too but it's a bit early to call yet. i think there is a sense that Patton is genuinely gettable this year but might not in another 3 years.

We can backs and fowards but if dont get good mids then we are not going to see the best of any back or forward and we may even be weaker than this year in the midfield if Dal goes. Get mids then get more mids and finally get another mid. Hawks won last night with a great midfield and apart from Gunston an ordinary forward line. Geelong nearly won for the same reason. My guess is whoever wins tonight will win it in the midfield and whoever eventuallys wins the GF will do it with a great midfield. The days of big forwards winning games for you is just about over until the game changes again. Eventually less rotations may mean the return of the power forward but until then its a real midfield game.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

We can backs and fowards but if dont get good mids then we are not going to see the best of any back or forward and we may even be weaker than this year in the midfield if Dal goes. Get mids then get more mids and finally get another mid. Hawks won last night with a great midfield and apart from Gunston an ordinary forward line. Geelong nearly won for the same reason. My guess is whoever wins tonight will win it in the midfield and whoever eventuallys wins the GF will do it with a great midfield. The days of big forwards winning games for you is just about over until the game changes again. Eventually less rotations may mean the return of the power forward but until then its a real midfield game.

I don't disagree but I think there has been a focus on building the talls first and we will see all our high picks used in the next few years on classy mids. When a guy that was rated the number one junior footballer in the country becomes available you would have to be crazy not to see if you could nab him. Especially for some seniors that only have a couple of years left.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

What about pick 3, McEvoy & Fisher for Pick 1, Pick 9 & Bruce.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:What about pick 3, McEvoy & Fisher for Pick 1, Pick 9 & Bruce.

I would think about it. Could get two top 10 picks for giving up some quality and a very good pick. Would be win win IMO. could we play Spencer as a KPB if we get Boyd?