Ledger delisted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lefty
Club Player

Re: Ledger delisted

Upset about letting Ledger go, yet we keep TDL etc... sigh.

Middo
Club Player

noob wrote:I saw more of a valuable contribution from Ledger in the future than Clint Jones.
Deff +1

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

He wasn't cutting the mustard. Can't hang onto deadwood.

TDL, Milera and Jones can all count themselves very lucky if they stay.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Jones will be here for one more year - to assist while the younger guys develop bigger bodies. He will probably play the Blakey/Kosi role next year - with lots of games in the seconds.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

HitTheBoundary wrote:Jones will be here for one more year - to assist while the younger guys develop bigger bodies. He will probably play the Blakey/Kosi role next year - with lots of games in the seconds.
How valuable do you feel that is? Esp in the context that it may have potentially cost an up and comer his spot

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Does any one remember he was messy with his VFL disposal? The Hawks reminded me why clean disposal is so important today. You don't wear yourself down with a laborious game style. Sad to see him go but sentimentality doesn't win premierships.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:Jones will be here for one more year - to assist while the younger guys develop bigger bodies. He will probably play the Blakey/Kosi role next year - with lots of games in the seconds.
How valuable do you feel that is? Esp in the context that it may have potentially cost an up and comer his spot
If Jones is in the seconds he's not taking a spot - unless you mean the spot on the list. He may occasionally play in the firsts against teams with bigger bodied mids so the young guys don't get smashed. And presumably he will be gone the next year, and will be replaced by a young guy in what is said to be a better quality draft than the upcoming one.

By up and comer did you mean Ledger? I think he was not in their plans from early on.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Jones= totally off-topic.
Ledger could have stayed, they should have dropped TDL.
Spud.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Does any one remember he was messy with his VFL disposal? The Hawks reminded me why clean disposal is so important today. You don't wear yourself down with a laborious game style. Sad to see him go but sentimentality doesn't win premierships.
Same here, also re-enforced my question of why we have kept Jones for another year. The team with the best skills today beat the team who pressures and tries the hardest.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:Good decision. Pick 3 would go past ledger then you have Newnes who will be moving into the midfield

Very logical smart delistings

Exactly. We need new blood. We will be bringing in new players and 3 retired players does not create enough room....especially as we have already elevated Curren.

Somebody had to go and from what I saw Curren is a better bet than Ledger.

We currently have 3 good picks....3, 20-odd, late thirties and then around 50-ish. Trading may well generate more if Pelchen continues his multi-pick strategy again.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:they should have dropped TDL.
I think there will be more players gone yet....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
gringo wrote:Does any one remember he was messy with his VFL disposal? The Hawks reminded me why clean disposal is so important today. You don't wear yourself down with a laborious game style. Sad to see him go but sentimentality doesn't win premierships.
Same here, also re-enforced my question of why we have kept Jones for another year. The team with the best skills today beat the team who pressures and tries the hardest.

I think he's an over lap player rather than someone who will be there in ten years. Ledger was going to hold us together with his experience or be part of a future plan so cut him loose to try somewhere else. Melbourne couldn't find a spot for Magner despite getting lots of the ball.

Jones work rate is very good and a good example. Dal doesn't have a great work rate and coasts too much.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:That's 5 OFF the Primary List. 5 picks in the National Draft is about right.
We still need to wait until AFTER the Trade to see if any more will be cut !!
5 isn't that many. I reckon 2 or 3 more will go.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Be amazed if TDL goes - to close mates with the coach

“Yeah….nah””
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Agree there is a number of players who should have been delisted before Tommy...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:As per below from saints.com.au. Really disappointed with this news. Ledger looks a decent player for mine.

St Kilda Football Club can confirm that primary listed players, Tom Ledger and Jay Lever, along with rookie listed player, Jordan Staley, have been informed they will not be offered new contracts in 2014.

Head of Football, Chris Pelchen thanked the players for their contribution to the Saints.

“This is a difficult time of year with changes being made to player lists at all AFL clubs. We would like to thank Tom, Jay and Jordan for their contributions to the St Kilda FC and wish them every success for the future.”

The trio’s departure from the club is further to the retirements of three club stalwarts Jason Blake, Justin Koschitzke and Stephen Milne.

The Saints have made six changes to their 2013 player list in preparation for the upcoming trade and draft periods.
not happy with this one either as in the GC and freo game he showed abit... (Ledger) hope we don't rue this one if he gets a gig at another club and goes well.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Disappointed for Ledger but how does comparing him TDL help. Maybe if he was a small forward, but he is a mid and there are many more in front of him, especially if we pick up a mid at dp 3 and Dal and Joey stays.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Promising jnr player, early form good
spends nearly the entire season burning it up in the VFL
at 21 (i think), more or less becomes Sandy's best midfielder
gets two games late in the season and plays to a good standard
gets delisted

I don't know how anyone can look at this and view it as a positive
Sandy's best mid? In whose opinion? Where'd he finish in Sandy'e B&F? Nowhere is the answer!

Lurker is an ego going nowhere. Maybe should take up acting like his cousin.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
chook23 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Seemed very obvious to me.

agree..............surprised so many fell for the hype built up by some on here
:? :? :? :?

think most ppl knew he was a good chance of going. Many just don't agree with it. Weird how some forumites seem to want to turn this into a I'm more perceptive than you thread

So what should we say if we think it is obvious? Not comment at all or even lie and say thats surprising. In another post I actually used the word hindsight.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

This bloke cost me $10 2 years ago.

Good luck to all the delistees - tough transition now but you all followed dreams!

saint6709
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:Jones= totally off-topic.
Ledger could have stayed, they should have dropped TDL.
Spud.
I will be surprised if TDL stays - you would think more delistings will be made before the year is out

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Didn't realise it at the time, but this was brilliant timing by the club.

Of course Ledger showed a bit at Sandy, and he performed okay in those last 2 games. Games against Gold Coast and a half hearted Freo. And those two games got people thinking this guy can make it, despite often reported deficiencies, whether that be in regards to defensive pressure, disposal, "tank", attitude etc. Nup, Tommy was a keeper.

As such many were surprised, stunned, shocked or even pissed off at yesterday morning's announcement. But that's where the timing was spot on.

Certainly as far as I'm concerned, the 2 hours of Grand Final footy I witnessed in the afternoon convinced me that Ledger would not help us on our our journey to a second flag.

Never like to see players go but I'm comfortable with this one.

All the best Tom.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Happy with this decision!

Have to keep turning over the list and bringing in new talent..

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Peeves me no end that people seem to want him to succeed elsewhere "to prove the Club wrong" Club before individuals people.

Wish him all the success in the world but doesnt mean he was ever gonna be a star with us.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Didn't realise it at the time, but this was brilliant timing by the club.

Of course Ledger showed a bit at Sandy, and he performed okay in those last 2 games. Games against Gold Coast and a half hearted Freo. And those two games got people thinking this guy can make it, despite often reported deficiencies, whether that be in regards to defensive pressure, disposal, "tank", attitude etc. Nup, Tommy was a keeper.

As such many were surprised, stunned, shocked or even pissed off at yesterday morning's announcement. But that's where the timing was spot on.

Certainly as far as I'm concerned, the 2 hours of Grand Final footy I witnessed in the afternoon convinced me that Ledger would not help us on our our journey to a second flag.

Never like to see players go but I'm comfortable with this one.

All the best Tom.
Well said Doc.
Good luck Tom.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post