Saints NOT in disarray!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Saints NOT in disarray!

This post is simply too good to not have its own thread!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83193&p=1397177#p1397133
cwrcyn wrote:No point comparing us with Carlton and Collingwood. They make, between them, about 30 million a year just from the pokies. We make about 2 million. The Bulldogs make 3 million, and North make zero. We were just unfortunate that we didn't have the crooked contacts that the Pies and the Blues had when the pokies emerged. If we had, we wouldn't be whining about club finances right now. Add to that our hideous deal with Etihad Stadium, and it's just not us. Bulldogs, North, and Carlton are getting equally screwed. I know for a fact that the North Melbourne directors pour enormous funds into that club just to keep it afloat. Are you going to have a crack at them? Throw on top of that our pathetic fickle supporters who jump ship as soon as we drop out of the finals. All I can say is Shame on Them, the 8,000 so called members who bailed out like spoilt children, taking their bat and ball and going home. Perhaps some of you on this forum who continually slag off our club are part of that 8,000. In fact, I'd put my house on it.

Yes, the club has made some mistakes. So has every club in the past 20 years. The Tigers were nearly broke 4 years ago. Essendon have cocked up a bit, wouldn't you say? The lions run at a loss every year, and what about Port Adelaide, who can't make a cracker in a two team town. Don't get me started on Melbourne. Meanwhile, Sydney get ridiculous concessions and the expansion teams have bags of money thrown at them. The draw is designed to favour a handful of Melbourne clubs, and guess what, we're not one of them.

Just keep sticking the boots in. Remember, we've never had any favours from the AFL, and while Thomas coached us, the AFL CEO detested us, and gave us no help in our dealings with the local council, while at the same times assisting the Doggies in a similar situation. We've had to tough it out, just like North Melbourne.

Don't underestimate how tough it's been for our club and the people who have run it in the past 20 years. Against the odds, they have busted their arses to keep us viable. As Rod Butterss used to say, it's tough out there in clubland. You think a succession of experienced and successful business people haven't done their best for us (ARCHIE FRASER ASIDE)? Particularly those who have been Saints supporters or former players?

Give us 18 million dollars a year in pokie revenue, a favourable (rigged) draw that allows us to stuff our pockets full of cash, and a stadium deal that allows us to actually make a single dollar, and I'll show you a happy and relaxed membership. The reality is, we don't have those things, so to just break even is a massive achievement. Especially when pathetic so-called supporters bail out at the mere hint of a decline in ladder position.

Support your club. Don't echo the cliches of hack, biased journos just because you can't cop it that we have to re-build. Just support. Buy you memberships and look to the future. I'm sick of supporters slamming the club at every turn.
We may not have had the success (yet) of certain other clubs, but..., we have not sold our souls to the devil like they have...

So, a massive thank you cwrcyn for sharing with us one of the all time great posts on this site!!!

You should be proud of what you've just done!

And we should all be proud of our eccentric, irrational, non conformist, exasperating, zany..., but also never boring, always wonderful, and just sheer gawd-damn loveable enfant terrible of a footy club!

Our club and its supporters... we are unique, we do things our way, against all the odds, and...
140 years later... we-are-still-here! Be bloody proud!

ImageImageImageImage

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints NOT in disarray!

we're stuffed

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

QUOTE.... 'And we should all be proud of our eccentric, irrational, non conformist, exasperating, zany..., but also never boring, always wonderful, and just sheer gawd-damn loveable enfant terrible of a footy club!'

Great post, and I am proud of our footy club. I would however like us to win another flag before I pop my clogs. Boring and predictable for a while would be fine.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Agree great post.
We need to man up to a rebuild.
My only gripes are archie fraser and our problems with women.
But fans need to look fwd now and get behind a rebuild and stop sooking about the past or trying to reinvent or re write or re live history. Lets look fwd .

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Agree great post.
We need to man up to a rebuild.
My only gripes are archie fraser and our problems with women.
But fans need to look fwd now and get behind a rebuild and stop sooking about the past or trying to reinvent or re write or re live history. Lets look fwd .

If your only worries are 3 years ago then we dont have worries. You sound BM bringing up the past.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Great post!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I doubt the Saints have been anywhere near Disarray. All we are seeing is transition being managed in the quickest possible manner.

Change and the resistance to change can be one of the hardest things to manage in an organisation.

The opposite to quick change would be a far worse approach based on where the list was at a year or two ago.

Chris Pelchen and Scott Watters have had enough successes in their first two years with regards to talent discovery and implementation to suggest they are the right men to lead the list rebuild and if I was the head of PR for the club I would be trying to promote that very message.

southernsaint
Club Player

Great post

Megamaguire
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:
No point comparing us with Carlton and Collingwood. They make, between them, about 30 million a year just from the pokies. We make about 2 million. The Bulldogs make 3 million, and North make zero. We were just unfortunate that we didn't have the crooked contacts that the Pies and the Blues had when the pokies emerged. If we had, we wouldn't be whining about club finances right now. Add to that our hideous deal with Etihad Stadium.

The only thing I can't stomach in this great piece of writing is calling The Dome ethunethical nong named stadium !

Personally I cannot let a **** financial name sum up this home of St.Kilda. Moorabbin was great as it described a real place where many people happened to live. Telstar and etinong (shortened version) provide me with an annoying irony ... we have to refer to the financial organisation that is ripping us off every time we play @ our home ground. Our home ground yea right.

Anyway the naming of the stadium with the Lockett end should be simply 'The Dome' in my view.
It's even team neutral and is free of any crap rip-off advertising that constantly reminds me that our St. Kilda Football Club is being shafted every single day we have to associate with the rip off artists that the afl allow to operate. Maybe i'm yapping on too much but when in the year 2120 when the afl finally buy out the stadium what might they want to call it ? afl park? southern cross stadium?? When the great grandchildren look up the old names for St. Kilda's home ground will they think you are joking right?

G O D O M E!

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
philtee
Club Player

Great post cwrcyn. Been a bit too much "woe is us" around here recently.
Love the fightin' words !

Witeout23
Club Player

this post is the reason I like coming to this site.
Far too much negativity and doom and gloom around here lately!

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

We are in the poopoo

#1 Ryder fan
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I'd still like a Premiership

GRAMophone
Club Player

Great post cwrcyn and well done Dave for highlighting it. 8-)

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
starsign
Club Player

Yeah we'll done to the pair of you and great OP
I know unlike many here I can at least die happy having been at the G on that wonderful day in '66, but this is the attitude of many of us Sainters I admire, and that which keeps me bleeding for the RW&B
Stick with em kids and remember what was always drilled into me as a little tacker "don't worry there's always next year"

I love the saints!
Club Player

One of the best posts that I have ever seen on here! I will not be taking my bat and going home because I will support our wonderful club! I really think that we are the great survivors and I can only say that being just 27 I am thankful that I did not have to go through the dark days of the 80's. I will again be a loud and proud member in 2014 and beyond. Players may come and go but we are still one for we are still the St Kilda Football Club Est 1873 and we are not going anywhere!!

In STKFC we trust.
starsign
Club Player

Told this before a few seasons back when we were struggling but here goes....
My dear old Pa (dad's dad ) had a grocers shop a Fehring punt from the junction oval A die heart Sainter who took my dad to the footy every Saturday He died at 94 when I was a kid. Dad was with me in 66 at the G and the tough old New Guinea digger cried on the siren after cracking two of my ribs in a bear hug. Why you crying Normie I asked, I'll be OK! Nah I just wished my dad had a been here to see this he replied. Talk about footy being an emotional game! Well dad died at 85 having at least witnessed that one and I've sat few all the following GF losses without him praying for No2. and am hanging about to be there at our second one determined to keep the sequence going.
So all you buggers can hang in there and bloody we'll stick with me as well. Amen

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

:shock:

From reading too many of the current threads on here one would think the sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Only one thing for it...

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Told this before a few seasons back when we were struggling but here goes....
My dear old Pa (dad's dad ) had a grocers shop a Fehring punt from the junction oval A die heart Sainter who took my dad to the footy every Saturday He died at 94 when I was a kid. Dad was with me in 66 at the G and the tough old New Guinea digger cried on the siren after cracking two of my ribs in a bear hug. Why you crying Normie I asked, I'll be OK! Nah I just wished my dad had a been here to see this he replied. Talk about footy being an emotional game! Well dad died at 85 having at least witnessed that one and I've sat few all the following GF losses without him praying for No2. and am hanging about to be there at our second one determined to keep the sequence going.
So all you buggers can hang in there and bloody we'll stick with me as well. Amen
Fantastic story SS! :D

History, pathos, heart, determination, loyalty, love, blood, emotion, cracked ribs! That's what it's all about! :idea: And-you-get-it :D

Perspective time:

All these negative threads. People jumping at shadows. The sky is falling, the sky is falling... (quick check outside)... nope it isn't folks.

We've been around for 140 years. In another 140 years I'll be saying that twice over. :idea:

In another 140 hours (give or take), all this current crap will be forgotten. Cuddles will be giving a guided tour of Seaford to our boom recruits. Recruits secured via another Pelican master-class in pre-draft wheeling and dealing, followed by the Trout once again demonstrating that we have the head recruiter that the other clubs would love to have.

I merely take all this current media crap as further proof that the media knows that we are by far the most interesting club in the competition. It's a compliment everyone!

Unsteady Eddy trying to lure St Nick to his Olympic Park precinct Sodom and Gomorrah. It's a compliment everyone!

Nick choosing St Kilda FC and the Seaford cafe strip, over unsteady Eddy and his thirty pieces of silver. It's a compliment everyone!

Keep the faith!

bergsone
SS Life Member

Been on board too long.....to jump overboard now :evil:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

just get pissed off when I see incompetence running the club...when will we get the A team ? it seems that our club is run ok in spurts , we don't seem to have any longevity in regards to good management where are other clubs have.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:just get pissed off when I see incompetence running the club...when will we get the A team ? it seems that our club is run ok in spurts , we don't seem to have any longevity in regards to good management where are other clubs have.
Agree 100%

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Great posts boys!

PS I've got full membership plus social club and I'm gonna sign up for that again in 2014.
Have been to almost every game in Melbourne (and a few in Sydney) for the past 10+ years.

It's been humbling being down the ladder this year but also a bit less stressful in the end. There'll be one or two more lean years but then I reckon the Saints will "go again".

Go you Sainters!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Saints43
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:We are in the poopoo
Are you the same MC Gusto who used to warn people about the property bubble eight years ago?

Panic. Merchant.

800Knorthcote

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

About 10 years ago, Alan Jeans was in a short television interview during a major St Kilda club function/event (may have been team of the century) When probed about St Kilda's culture, he said that the only problem at St Kilda was not culture, but money (or the lack of it). It was clear from the interview that he thought this 'culture' business was a complete crock.

Lack of money puts people and businesses under enormous pressure, and when it's endured over a long period of time, it's particularly tough. Just ask the Bulldogs and the Roos

As I've stated previously, if anyone believes that we've had more off field issues than other clubs over the past 20 years, then they've clearly fallen for the hack journo cliche.

West Coast - drugs, drug overdoses, organised crime links
Collingwood - Drugs, drink driving, associations with bike gangs & other dangerous criminals, public masturbation, alleged rapes
Carlton - drugs, physical assaults on members of the public. gambling issues, salary cap cheating, brown paper bags
Essendon - drug cheating, salary cap cheating, assualts against women
Bulldogs - drugs
Hawthornn - drugs, drugs, and even more drugs
Geelong - physical assaults, cocaine dealing, coaches shagging player's partners
Richmond - Drugs, gambling, links to bikie gangs and organised crime
North Melbourne - physical assaults on members of the public, cocaine use

So, out of all that, we're apparently the only ones with a culture issue in all that time.

Our biggest issue is money, and it has been that way for over 40 years, starting with the crippling debt over the construction of the Moorabbin grandstand, which started a chain of events that we've struggled with since.