Draft hopefuls inc Garlett

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Draft hopefuls inc Garlett

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 2v13o.html

This is an article from today's age by Emma Quayle. It includes an interesting mention of Dayle Garlett which may be of interest to a few on here.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft hopefuls inc Garlett

I thought the fact she said Kelly will go second was interesting because I have heard from about 3 sources including here that we are likely to take Kelly with pick 3. That could push Aish or the Sharron burger our way. I wasn't sold on Kelly but i trust Emma Quail's opinion- she's pretty astute.

i'm still hoping we can get that grey guy from Tassie with later pick, he's tested really well and doesn't have the high profile of some of the others but seems to have the goods. He played soccer until recently but seems to have made a very quick impact in his shift to AFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I thought the fact she said Kelly will go second was interesting because I have heard from about 3 sources including here that we are likely to take Kelly with pick 3. That could push Aish or the Sharron burger our way. I wasn't sold on Kelly but i trust Emma Quail's opinion- she's pretty astute.

i'm still hoping we can get that grey guy from Tassie with later pick, he's tested really well and doesn't have the high profile of some of the others but seems to have the goods. He played soccer until recently but seems to have made a very quick impact in his shift to AFL.

I really hope we miss on kelly. He is one of only about 4 players I have seen play a bit and to me he is to small and an outside player who is a great athlete. We do need pace but I would really like an inside out side player. We need replacements for Lenny and Dal and im unsure kelly is that man.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes from those that do actually follow the kids, rather than just read forums like myself, Kelly has been a mover with many now having him go at number 2.

If we can gain Aish as our No 3 pick I will be a happy man, as I very much like what I read of him and I believe that we desperately need a "cream" mid with our No 3 pick.

Will also be happy if it is Kelly, but I prefer Aish.

Scharenberg is clearly a good player, but I will be disappointed if he is our No 3 pick as I dearly want a future elite mid.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Siposstar#2
Club Player

Please let us get Aish!!!!

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Yes from those that do actually follow the kids, rather than just read forums like myself, Kelly has been a mover with many now having him go at number 2.

If we can gain Aish as our No 3 pick I will be a happy man, as I very much like what I read of him and I believe that we desperately need a "cream" mid with our No 3 pick.

Scharenberg is clearly a good player, but I will be disappointed if he is our No 3 pick as I dearly want a future elite mid.

I saw the SA carnivals and last year and as a bottom ager Schazza was just absolute class. He is Goddard like and the way he roamed around half back and found space at will -was so familiar but he gets right up the ground as a rebounder and could easily get a bigger engine and move into a Josh Kennedy type mid role. accountable, great mark, ball carrier, strong- I won't be unhappy with pick 3 going on him. I think kelly and Aish both look like they will need to bulk up for a few season before having any real impact but you could see Scharenberg playing 23 games next year.

I remember there was some concern that Chad Wingard was only a forward pocket player despite his natural ability. In hindsight he could be an elite mid, small forward wing man anything. If they are freak players you get them anyway.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

The only worry with Aish is the go home factor. Just look at Polec now wanting to go back to SA, although Brisbane being a rabble might have something to do with it.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:The only worry with Aish is the go home factor. Just look at Polec now wanting to go back to SA, although Brisbane being a rabble might have something to do with it.
Yes, but plenty of guys from SA and WA have stayed at VIC clubs.

If we're only looking to pick kids from Victoria then we're greatly limiting our ability to build the best list possible.

lloyd21
Club Player

Don't know who they will pick just would like to highlight something

David Mundy was a half back when picked now elite mid
Patrick Dangerfield was half back / back pocket now elite mid
Get the trend ...? Things change look at the players who were picked as a forward now play back and vice versa.
Just excited to see who they get 1 -5 all are elite every recruiter is saying that we get one be happy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Don't know who they will pick just would like to highlight something

David Mundy was a half back when picked now elite mid
Patrick Dangerfield was half back / back pocket now elite mid
Get the trend ...? Things change look at the players who were picked as a forward now play back and vice versa.
Just excited to see who they get 1 -5 all are elite every recruiter is saying that we get one be happy.

Lets just hope e get buddy not Tambling.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

from Wikipedia the 2004 draft.

this is the difference between success and failure. The Hawks get lewis, Franklin, Murphy and Roughy in one draft Tigers get delidio, meyer, Polo, Pattison and Tambling , bulldogs get Williams, Wells and Griffen. One gets three guns and a good player the others get one right the rest wrong.

Recruiters can make or break you.

Round Pick Player Recruited from Club
Priority 1 Brett Deledio Murray Bushrangers Richmond
Priority 2 Jarryd Roughead Gippsland Power Hawthorn
Priority 3 Ryan Griffen South Adelaide Football Club Western Bulldogs
1 4 Richard Tambling Southern Districts Football Club Richmond
1 5 Lance Franklin Perth Football Club Hawthorn
1 6 Tom Williams Morningside Football Club Western Bulldogs
1 7 Jordan Lewis Geelong Falcons Hawthorn
1 8 John Meesen Geelong Falcons Adelaide
1 9 Jordan Russell West Adelaide Football Club Carlton
1 10 Chris Egan Murray Bushrangers Collingwood

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I hope we get Aish but sounds like the top 5 are settled.
Pick 21 is really the important one for us.
Make or break. History tells us there will be a couple of gun players left in the draft at 21. The trick is picking him.
It will probably be some country kid out of the main suburban comps.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I wonder which club was it that Garlett decided NOT to turn up to the interview for ??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:from Wikipedia the 2004 draft.

this is the difference between success and failure. The Hawks get lewis, Franklin, Murphy and Roughy in one draft Tigers get delidio, meyer, Polo, Pattison and Tambling , bulldogs get Williams, Wells and Griffen. One gets three guns and a good player the others get one right the rest wrong.

Recruiters can make or break you.

Round Pick Player Recruited from Club
Priority 1 Brett Deledio Murray Bushrangers Richmond
Priority 2 Jarryd Roughead Gippsland Power Hawthorn
Priority 3 Ryan Griffen South Adelaide Football Club Western Bulldogs
1 4 Richard Tambling Southern Districts Football Club Richmond
1 5 Lance Franklin Perth Football Club Hawthorn
1 6 Tom Williams Morningside Football Club Western Bulldogs
1 7 Jordan Lewis Geelong Falcons Hawthorn
1 8 John Meesen Geelong Falcons Adelaide
1 9 Jordan Russell West Adelaide Football Club Carlton
1 10 Chris Egan Murray Bushrangers Collingwood
Only 5 good players in that top 10. Let's hope we have some luck and choose the right player!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WHERE ARE THE TALL FORWARDS?
There aren't many, at least in the first batch. Boyd is the clear first choice, but McCarthy is one who could push right up into the top 10. He wasn't really on the radar before this year, but forced his way into the West Australian team late and looked like he belonged there.
He throws himself at the ball, loves taking marks, and reads the play instinctively. Mitch Harvey played well for South Australia in the national championships, and Jonathon Marsh is an interesting prospect. He's 192 centimetres, doesn't play like your usual key forward and is more of a roamer, but is super quick and can do some quirky, unexpected things.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/k ... z2guba7hHO

For those wondering why Maister was retained, I think the answer is above. ie That the club new that draft picks were going to be thin for key forwards this year.

As you would imagine that recruiters also look at not just this years draft, but also keep an eye on the following year, it probably also explains why the Saints were keen on Lee last year.

The consensus this year seems to be that draft weakens a lot after pick 30. So you either want as many picks as possible in the top 30 , or trade more than usual.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Yes from those that do actually follow the kids, rather than just read forums like myself, Kelly has been a mover with many now having him go at number 2.

I saw the SA carnivals and last year and as a bottom ager Schazza was just absolute class. He is Goddard like and the way he roamed around half back and found space at will -was so familiar but he gets right up the ground as a rebounder and could easily get a bigger engine and move into a Josh Kennedy type mid role. accountable, great mark, ball carrier, strong- I won't be unhappy with pick 3 going on him. I think kelly and Aish both look like they will need to bulk up for a few season before having any real impact but you could see Scharenberg playing 23 games next year.

I remember there was some concern that Chad Wingard was only a forward pocket player despite his natural ability. In hindsight he could be an elite mid, small forward wing man anything. If they are freak players you get them anyway.
I reckon Sharenberg will be the best player from this draft. As you mentioned, he has many attributes and is extremely versatile. He's also a natural leader and has Hodge / Goddard written all over him. Wingard was a good example of players pre-draft being pigeon holed, another is Sam Mayes who will be a star.

I really like Aish, he comes from good pedigree however he's not a ball winner. He's more your winger / back flanker who has a lot of hurt factor on the outside, setting up play. I have some reservations about him breaking a tag (like Kelly) but what he does have is a great footy brain. He's a natural.

We'll have to pick best available at pick 3 but I'm crossing my fingers that we get either of the two South Aussies players I mentioned. My third pick would be Billings who is just like Sam Mayes from last years draft.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I thought the fact she said Kelly will go second was interesting because I have heard from about 3 sources including here that we are likely to take Kelly with pick 3. That could push Aish or the Sharron burger our way. I wasn't sold on Kelly but i trust Emma Quail's opinion- she's pretty astute.

I really hope we miss on kelly. He is one of only about 4 players I have seen play a bit and to me he is to small and an outside player who is a great athlete. We do need pace but I would really like an inside out side player. We need replacements for Lenny and Dal and im unsure kelly is that man.
Agreed Plugs.

Inside players and Talls are the m.o this draft as both are the most difficult to find and develop into quality.

Outsider runners and mid-sized flankers are the easiest so I would not be thrilled if we spent pick 3 on an outsider.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

gringo wrote:I saw the SA carnivals and last year and as a bottom ager Schazzzzzzzzzzzzz-arrhhhhhhh!!!!! was just absolute class... accountable, great mark, ball carrier, strong...
If they are freak players you get them anyway.
Hmmmmmm.

Great mark...? And with a name like that...?

I can picture it now..., I can hear the commentary...

"Loooooo-onnnnng high kick into the St Kilda forward line... "

:idea: 8-) :D :lol:

We just have to get him! 8-)

As for Aish and Kelly, I'm still underwhelmed. They just strike me as not ever going to be big and strong enough...? What do people think?

I don't want any outside receivers at St Kilda.

And as for players with freakish ability... get-the-Garlett! And to make sure we get him, I'd use our second pick. With his new girlfriend, Cuddles and Lenny all watching over him he'll stay on the straight and narrow. 8-)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

With pick 3 you've just got to select the best player available.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

I think stkilda should take the chance on Gartlett if given the chance he May just may have turned his life around he's a freak of a player better off in our colors then someone elses.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im hoping we get aish or sharenberg.

i als read dayle beat his 3km time from last year by over a minute.
hes still off the pace there but it sounds like hes in a much better place this year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:WHERE ARE THE TALL FORWARDS?
There aren't many, at least in the first batch. Boyd is the clear first choice, but McCarthy is one who could push right up into the top 10. He wasn't really on the radar before this year, but forced his way into the West Australian team late and looked like he belonged there.
He throws himself at the ball, loves taking marks, and reads the play instinctively. Mitch Harvey played well for South Australia in the national championships, and Jonathon Marsh is an interesting prospect. He's 192 centimetres, doesn't play like your usual key forward and is more of a roamer, but is super quick and can do some quirky, unexpected things.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/k ... z2guba7hHO

For those wondering why Maister was retained, I think the answer is above. ie That the club new that draft picks were going to be thin for key forwards this year.

As you would imagine that recruiters also look at not just this years draft, but also keep an eye on the following year, it probably also explains why the Saints were keen on Lee last year.

The consensus this year seems to be that draft weakens a lot after pick 30. So you either want as many picks as possible in the top 30 , or trade more than usual.

Mc carthy sounds pretty good by all reports and there is Matt Rendall's nephew with the appealing name of Mitch Harvey and another called Max Hayes. Max hayes has the double Sainter name so might be the greatest recruit ever just for his name.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:With pick 3 you've just got to select the best player available.
Which is pretty much everyone else available.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Max hayes has the double Sainter name so might be the greatest recruit ever just for his name.
So the total opposite to Zac Clarke then? :wink:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
gringo wrote: Max hayes has the double Sainter name so might be the greatest recruit ever just for his name.
So the total opposite to Zac Clarke then? :wink:

Exactly, that's Spud Mc crap in Saintanese.