Draft 2013: Where to from here - A Plan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Draft 2013: Where to from here - A Plan

elsewhere magnifisaint wrote:3, 17, 18 and 25

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nic ... 2vray.html
I really like the look of that (or something very close).

If we could also swing that Nought Power picks-swap thing, then even better. The rationale for both parties makes good sense, so Nought should go for it... and their hatred of the Crones and hence wish to gazump them, will hopefully prove overpowering. :twisted: (We could even package Tezza into the deal? :idea: )

The other deal I'd love to see is Pick three (happy TB :wink: ) to liberate Patton.

Yeah, yeah, I know... mid-fielders... we can still get them, but the guys we are looking at are not worth Patton. (And he's a Saints supporter. :wink: )

Then it's Fish for Bruce, and 25 for Longer. (That'd give us Hickey, Longer, Rhys Lightning, Pierce and Holmes who could ruck if needed, with if needed, chop out from Lee and the Beau. Do not get Jolly... unless he is the best available a ruck coach. We need to get games into the young blokes!)

Delaney in PSD, if Nuff Nuff play games. (I doubt they'd be that stupid though. Little to gain, but heaps to loose as no one would trust them in future dealings... :idea: )

Seventeen = best available player, with preference for a mid-fielder.

Eighteen = roll the dice, Cuddle-up and... go for the Garlett! 8-)

Upgrade Tommy Curren. (Minch' also if we have a spot left, if not, first in-season opportunity.)

If any further spots left... I'd grab everyone's favourite VFL player... smokin' Cockie the wrecking-ball. :twisted: (IMHO he'd be more use than Tezza or TDL.)

Summary:
Ins... Patton, best avail mid (pick 17/18/19, whatever), Garlett, Longer, Bruce, Delaney, Curren (upgrade), smokin' Cockie, Holmes, Increased salary cap space, increased happiness (well for myself at least :D ).

Ok Saintsationalists... there's a plan... critique away... do your worst... :mrgreen:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft 2013: Where to from here - A Plan

Dave McNamara wrote:
elsewhere magnifisaint wrote:3, 17, 18 and 25

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nic ... 2vray.html
I really like the look of that (or something very close).

If we could also swing that Nought Power picks-swap thing, then even better. The rationale for both parties makes good sense, so Nought should go for it... and their hatred of the Crones and hence wish to gazump them, will hopefully prove overpowering. :twisted: (We could even package Tezza into the deal? :idea: )

The other deal I'd love to see is Pick three (happy TB :wink: ) to liberate Patton.

Yeah, yeah, I know... mid-fielders... we can still get them, but the guys we are looking at are not worth Patton. (And he's a Saints supporter. :wink: )

Then it's Fish for Bruce, and 25 for Longer. (That'd give us Hickey, Longer, Rhys Lightning, Pierce and Holmes who could ruck if needed, with if needed, chop out from Lee and the Beau. Do not get Jolly... unless he is the best available a ruck coach. We need to get games into the young blokes!)

Delaney in PSD, if Nuff Nuff play games. (I doubt they'd be that stupid though. Little to gain, but heaps to loose as no one would trust them in future dealings... :idea: )

Seventeen = best available player, with preference for a mid-fielder.

Eighteen = roll the dice, Cuddle-up and... go for the Garlett! 8-)

Upgrade Tommy Curren. (Minch' also if we have a spot left, if not, first in-season opportunity.)

If any further spots left... I'd grab everyone's favourite VFL player... smokin' Cockie the wrecking-ball. :twisted: (IMHO he'd be more use than Tezza or TDL.)

Summary:
Ins... Patton, best avail mid (pick 17/18/19, whatever), Garlett, Longer, Bruce, Delaney, Curren (upgrade), smokin' Cockie, Holmes, Increased salary cap space, increased happiness (well for myself at least :D ).

Ok Saintsationalists... there's a plan... critique away... do your worst... :mrgreen:
I'm too freaked out by the name Smoking Cockie to critique anything. I don't think it looks too bad. I'd keep minchington on the rookie list at this stage.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

As far as I know the elevated guys are temporary elevations because they took the place of some one on the LTI list. They still have to officially upgrade him with a spot on the senior list. Same with TC.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Forget Patton ... Pick3 to be used on a gun player in the draft ... With GWS taking pick 2 as well maybe we can trade Fisher and pick 3 for pick 1 ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Forget Patton ... Pick3 to be used on a gun player in the draft ... With GWS taking pick 2 as well maybe we can trade Fisher and pick 3 for pick 1 ??

Ive said it before but firstly it looks like they have gone off Fisher but if they wanted him they could probably get him for a pick neither club will use so I reckon there is no way they are giving us pick one for him and pick 3.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Pick 3: best avail which will likely be an outside creative mid (Aish, Billings, Kelly)
Pick 18: compliment the outside mid taken at 3 with a contested beast (Dumont, Dunstan, Crouch)
Pick 19: with a few picks around this mark compliment the first two selections with a mid with X factor that carries some risk (Acres, Marsh, Hartung)
Pick 25: Billy Longer (perhaps we taken him with 18/19 but still keep the same trend of selections)
3rd/4th round: Josh Bruce & Delaney (FB & CHB)
Late pick: upgrade Curren

End result
- Creative mid (Dal Santo replacement)
- Inside beast (Hayes replacement)
- Secondary creative mid with some risk (Joey replacement)
- Ruck (cover the loss of McEvoy)
- Key backs (fill current list holes)
- Secondary inside mid (Curren)

howlinwolf
Club Player

Good thread Dave.
I like your idea about Patton. Not sure though ? Are we in a position to go that hard on a player that might be injury riddled for his career ? I realise he could be over the worst and it's all upside from here. Also understand there are no guarantees with any players regarding injuries.

We do need a power forward to replace Roo. I'd through everything at Boyd if we could get him but if not maybe stick with Tommy Lee for now and focus on the mid replacements.

I like Old mate's suggestions. Try and gain like for like replacements. We have Armo in the Lenny style but another would increase our chances. You need plenty to rotate through the midfield these days.
An interesting option is Bontempeli. He's on the taller side (192) for a mid but well regarded. Interest is spiking for him apparently.
Josh Kelly looks like a he'll really be a player. Not only does have speed and endurance but has a super work ethic.
I believe he ran a 9.46 sec for the 3 klm time trial at the combine ( 2nd fastest ever) and also a 1 min 56 for 800m. Elite stuff there.

On the creative mid option there is Aish but the go home factor scares me a little. We could invest heavily only to see him leave. We can't afford that.
I haven't done enough research on Billings as yet.

In the ruck dept, i think longer looks a great prospect. We can do with a Dean Cox clone :-) his tap work from both hands is worth watching. Good mark and has speed and awareness. He,Hickey and eventually Pierce should provide us with some good options.
Bruce and Delaney would be a great help out down back to what we've had this year.
Curren upgrade is a no brainer. Apparently up to 7 clubs have enquired about him.

The future is looking pretty good.

Great to read a positive thread for a change. Good work :-)

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Austinnn
Club Player

Why not get Patton for a bit cheaper when he's homesick and looking for a new club? Pick 3 should be used on this year's draft, nothing else. Been a while since we had a high pick like that.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Forget Patton ... Pick3 to be used on a gun player in the draft ... With GWS taking pick 2 as well maybe we can trade Fisher and pick 3 for pick 1 ??

Ive said it before but firstly it looks like they have gone off Fisher but if they wanted him they could probably get him for a pick neither club will use so I reckon there is no way they are giving us pick one for him and pick 3.
If GWS don't manage to get Shaw then maybe Fisher might be back on their shopping list.