Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley

Sobraz wrote:
Zed wrote: If i were a betting man I would say Stanley is a better chance of still being at the club in 2016 than Sipposs.
Interesting to see such a broad collection of perspectives..

In terms of the above quote, I'd bet on the exact opposite.. And I'd bet pretty heavily too...

Siposs is a footballer getting his body up to AFL level.. A lot easier than what Stanley has to do... His body is at the level, but he hasn't got the ability and nous... Much harder to teach, something Siposs has in spades..

I'm with Zed, Siposs is a favourite but he was struggling to break into the seniors then not showing much. Rhys has the adaptable ruck forward role so will get longer to prove himself. Middle sized players want to be extraordinary to stay in the system. Talls with athletic prowess are such a rare commodity they will keep getting games until it is obvious they won't make it. Siposs so far has been best as a HF to me but he needs to get a move on or I'm worried for his future. Stanley isn't exactly there with his body or he wouldn't break down.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Kosifanutti

Gherig was All Australian at aged 21 as a fwd pocket.

Dunstall came to the AFL at aged 20 and was almost a star straight away.
He played in a flag aged 21 and at 23 had kicked 100 goals by round 19 of his 4th season.

Fair to say both were stars at age 21.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

gringo wrote: Stanley isn't exactly there with his body or he wouldn't break down.
He didn't break down this season, played nearly every game, but barely got the ball..

We know siposs can atleast kick bags of goals at lesser levels. Much like Lee, he has scored heavily in the past, just has not transferred that to top level, yet.. They both will make it..

Stanley has barely kicked a bag of 2+ goals at any level, ever.. He's hardly got double figure possessions at any level, ever.. IMO it is far more important, and likely, that siposs takes the next step than Stanley, as his ceiling is far higher.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Stanley will be a capable ruckman when Longer or Hickey rests on the bench. I have a feeling that Stanley could play CHF or FF if we were to lose Roo or Lee through injury and that makes him a versatile option.

He can't fill Roo's shoes... that's not going to happen anytime soon but he has the height and the weapon of 'speed' that can provide us a good tall forward option.

If Stanley is going to make it as a 100 game player he needs to work hard on his strength and flexibility and prepare his body well. ITS UP TO YOU RHYS

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Kosifanutti

Gherig was All Australian at aged 21 as a fwd pocket.

Dunstall came to the AFL at aged 20 and was almost a star straight away.
He played in a flag aged 21 and at 23 had kicked 100 goals by round 19 of his 4th season.

Fair to say both were stars at age 21.
I thought Gehrig played on the wing in those days. He'd kicked 64 goals in 64 games by the end of '97. Hardly a star forward. The AA selectors had to put him somewhere. He didn't kick 50 goals in a season until he was 27.

Dunstall was 22 when he played in his first premiership and only played about nine games before he was 21. Admittedly there were some very good ones in there.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

He could actually play on the wing IMO

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The issue with both Rhys and Sippa is all between the ears for mine

Rhys need to be hungrier for contest and attack the footy. Hes a big tall bloke..use it

Sippa needs to realise theres such a thing as a second effort and that he has to work a billion % harder when we arent in possession of the footy

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:The issue with both Rhys and Sippa is all between the ears for mine

Rhys need to be hungrier for contest and attack the footy. Hes a big tall bloke..use it

Sippa needs to realise theres such a thing as a second effort and that he has to work a billion % harder when we arent in possession of the footy
That will come though to the both of them.

One has played 40 odd and the other 20 odd games. If they were not showing something they simply would not be played.

On the flipside, if they do not shape up within a year or two, it could be curtains although I strongly doubt it.

Both will be fine and boys will be boys.

Imagine telling a 20 year old at your place of employment that they do not work hard enough? Surely a fantastic response will follow...

citywest

Stanley will be a superstar if left to play at CHF. He has speed, height and agility. If he can have an injury free season he could be a revelation in 2014.

Kickit
Club Player

Players like Jesse White and Shaun Hampson have had decent AFL career,s and at worst Stanley will be similar.

PJ
SS Life Member

Stanley will replace Roo in the forward line......eventually

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
oldie60
Club Player

I think Gherig was stuck with the look like Tarzan played like Jane, obviously changed when he got to us. Maybe Stanley needs a bit of a rocket before we see the best of him.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

If Stanley ever makes a decent AFL footballer I will be surprised.

Never seen him play well and influence a game. Not at AFL level, not at VFL level.

Hope he makes it but don't think he will.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

oldie60 wrote:I think Gherig was stuck with the look like Tarzan played like Jane, obviously changed when he got to us. Maybe Stanley needs a bit of a rocket before we see the best of him.

The G Train was still an All Australian at age 21 and a first round pick in 1993 (16).

I think after that he had 1 or 2 quiet years but he was always a star.

People are making out like he was hopeless before he came to us.

oldie60
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
oldie60 wrote:I think Gherig was stuck with the look like Tarzan played like Jane, obviously changed when he got to us. Maybe Stanley needs a bit of a rocket before we see the best of him.

The G Train was still an All Australian at age 21 and a first round pick in 1993 (16).

You are right, what i believe is that he was not as aggressive early on and people used to get into him about not using the aggression. One of the all time favorites and a great player.I think when he joined us he accepted a more responsible role as a maturing player. I would like to think Stanley can hopefully mature and become a better player than what he has shown so far.Granted has been unlucky with some injuries and did not start playing football until late in his teens.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

More like 1996 or 97 without checking.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:If Stanley ever makes a decent AFL footballer I will be surprised.

Never seen him play well and influence a game. Not at AFL level, not at VFL level.

Hope he makes it but don't think he will.
I tend to agree