Scott Watters sacked: Official SS reaction thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Scott Watters sacked: Official SS reaction thread

philtee wrote:A few panic merchants on here today.
In Summers I Trust.
Wonder why.

bob__71 wrote:
FQF wrote:
bob__71 wrote:I'd say Scott did just try and make himself unsackable. Unauthorised interview. Infact they said they requested him not to.
Where did you hear that from?
They just said it on SEN

Can't a coach come on radio whenever they like?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote:Choco will be coach
Yep - me thinks so too.

Eskanders Betstar already have a market up - Williams is $1.50 favourite with Harvey @ $5.50.

Bookies rarely get closed field type events wrong...

Go you red, black & white warriors
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
jaxons wrote:Choco will be coach
good.

Good move if true.

And jaxons, once again you come up with the truth.

Nothing you have written this of season has been false.

Love your work.
I think choco has a screw loose so may suit the saints, unfortunately.

Any good realtionship is a two way street.

:mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Not overly upset or surprised. Surely any one listening or reading the media in the last couple of months could not be surprised by this? Unfortunately, once Caro started writing about I knew he was in trouble and if he did manage to hang on, it would just be by the skin of his teeth.

I would back it in that they have most likely a replacement already in the wings.

Interesting that it has been confirmed by SEN that he went on the radio this morning off his own back. Obviously knew what was coming and was trying to call the clubs bluff. Instead of keeping them quiet, he forced their hand and he was sacked. Shows great leadership by the new president and board IMHO. Won't be held to ransom.

Bit sick of hearing that the seniors players are precious and need to be soothed and pampered. Perhaps he is just not cut out to be a coach. Seems it wasn't just the senior players that were not playing well under him, neither were the junior players. I think it is unfair that the reputation of the likes of Roo and Lenny are having their image tarnished without any proof. Guys of the highest calibre and whom have remained loyal to our club despite numerous substantial financial offers and incentives that have been thrown their way to leave throughout their careers. I think they deserve more respect than that.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Not overly upset or surprised. Surely any one listening or reading the media in the last couple of months could not be surprised by this? Unfortunately, once Caro started writing about I knew he was in trouble and if he did manage to hang on, it would just be by the skin of his teeth.

I would back it in that they have most likely a replacement already in the wings.

Interesting that it has been confirmed by SEN that he went on the radio this morning off his own back. Obviously knew what was coming and was trying to call the clubs bluff. Instead of keeping them quiet, he forced their hand and he was sacked. Shows great leadership by the new president and board IMHO. Won't be held to ransom.

Bit sick of hearing that the seniors players are precious and need to be soothed and pampered. Perhaps he is just not cut out to be a coach. Seems it wasn't just the senior players that were not playing well under him, neither were the junior players. I think it is unfair that the reputation of the likes of Roo and Lenny are having their image tarnished without any proof. Guys of the highest calibre and whom have remained loyal to our club despite numerous substantial financial offers and incentives that have been thrown their way to leave throughout their careers. I think they deserve more respect than that.
Hiring dwarves to mock the coach?

Even if Scott wasn't the guy, I reckon he deserved more respect than that.

kalsaint
Club Player

falka wrote:In a bizarre way, good timing

Imagine if was pre trade period, no one would want to come ?

Never boring
I totally disagree with this.

I think the reverse is true. If I was a new kid wanting to join this club and was asking people about my prospects I think I would be hearing the following:

1 Go elsewhere son - no Leadership a this place

2 No openness in conversations that you can believe here "son"

3 Its the senior players who seem to be running the joint here.

4 The Club leaders outside of the footy department that seem to be out of line at this joint (always have been). This causes instability in the playing group and rumour mongering from th media. Not much chop here when compared to other clubs strengths.

5 The club strategy is need in a real repair and this needs to include te culture of this place. Don't waste your time with them Kiddo as they have had many years to resolve this and haven't yet.

6 Club success breeds from game attendance and requires quality corporate sponsorship. With this culture you would be better off elsewhere.

7 We aren't Hawthorn and don't have the club culture to replicate what they did.

8 Sustained effort at Corporate and footy departments requires good culture, good strategy and clear management. That seems to be missing here son.

9 Even successful coaches here have always been short term operators (believe it or not, 5 year is not a long tenure for most clubs). Generally those providing team development, we cant afford over the long term. What you see now will return again in 4-5 yeas time because nothing really changes here.

10 Look we are about to appoint Chocko and this will solve everything!!!!?? The young bloke replies; didn't he have problems too with Port and GWS management? Smart fellow, dont bother to help here, you wont be respected for it, you will be better off elsewhere son as you just wont fit in here.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Just been saying on SEN that to speak to anyone at any club (even the Senior coach) you have to get club permission.
SEN asked to interview Watters and was denied by the club.
Watters then contacted SEN and said no problem the club has cleared him to talk, so they had him on.
It would appear that it WAS NOT okay with the club and was directly in opposition to their instructions, so was seemingly the last straw.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The Saints statement must be "an honest one," as they can no longer deny the turmoil that has occurred - and that they have denied all along.

It's the Board's chance to clear the decks once and for all to see! If they have a new coach to name, then this has been in the planning for a while and the SW SEN interview was the cruncher that they could use to cut him loose.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:
In Summers I Trust.
Wonder why.
Because he has shown so far in his short leadership that he is not afraid to make the hard calls or to present himself to the media when required. So far, he has my full support and has 5 out of 5 stars!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

A caller who seemed to have "inside info" Advised the players hired dwarves due to Watters height and burnt him for obvious reason.. Now this is no way true or what not, in fact I would certainly hope its not true, because that is just disrespectful..

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:The Saints statement must be "an honest one," as they can no longer deny the turmoil that has occurred - and that they have denied all along.

It's the Board's chance to clear the decks once and for all to see! If they have a new coach to name, then this has been in the planning for a while and the SW SEN interview was the cruncher that they could use to cut him loose.

This sounds plausible.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gone Watters

StGoddard18 wrote:I just got told Mark Williams is going to take over

#1 Ryder fan
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Was tossing up whether to renew my membership for this year. Was sitting 50/50 as to be honest, I have had a gut full of football this year (and not just because of St Kilda - the whole Essendon saga played a large role).

After the exceptional trade period for us so far, and the news from today, my membership has been paid up this afternoon for the whole family. Go Saints!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
8856brother wrote:
In Summers I Trust.
Wonder why.
Because he has shown so far in his short leadership that he is not afraid to make the hard calls or to present himself to the media when required. So far, he has my full support and has 5 out of 5 stars!!
Was commenting on the panic. Not El Pres.

Club Player

I am f'n disgusted. I wish my 37 year membership hadn't just rolled over.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
gringo
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
StGoddard18 wrote:I just got told Mark Williams is going to take over

The fact he was interviewed and has history with Pelchen says it's no mystery that he would be the front runner and with the failure of the last untested coach you would think he'd be miles ahead.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:A caller who seemed to have "inside info" Advised the players hired dwarves due to Watters height and burnt him for obvious reason.. Now this is no way true or what not, in fact I would certainly hope its not true, because that is just disrespectful..

That there would be Jaxons if I had to guess. He's made that claim before.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
clarky449 wrote:A caller who seemed to have "inside info" Advised the players hired dwarves due to Watters height and burnt him for obvious reason.. Now this is no way true or what not, in fact I would certainly hope its not true, because that is just disrespectful..

Really? I didn't know Jaxons said that? Do you know what thread.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

wanted choco when we made the selection for lyon. glad we fgot lyon as obviously he was and still is a gun. wanted choco when we lost lyon. we got watters. maybe now we can just get him...fack all these establishment of committees and interview processes etc that is waht landed us watters and the dees neeld. clearly does not work. when we got lyon we had put all these other blokes through the ringer and were aboput to go with someone until wallsy flew lyon in and we made a decision there and then. same should have been done with hinkley. don't fack it up now get choco he has the mongrel we need.

this is good for the club albeit the timing is very poor....still the amount of times watters was just staring blankly in the coaches box and was well and truly out coached tells me that although he may be a reasonable 'man-manager' he aint a coaches a-hole.

#1 Ryder fan
lefty
Club Player

This club is ridiculous.

That Pelchan bloke clearly didn't get along well with Hawthorn hence why he left.
Now we've got the same problem.

Imo, there was nothing wrong with Watters at all.

I'll reconsider buying 3x memberships, this is a joke.

Get farken Harvey in, hopefully we don't eat our own. We need some stability.
I cbf with Choco....

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

After the initial shock, I have no problem with sacking Watters providing we have a suitable replacement lined up (hopefully WIlliams).

He was a poor match day coach, gave too many jobs to mates, had a habit of telling blatant lies in the media and I don't believe that the players bought into his philosophies. I think he's quite a good salesman but has little substance.

Probably smart to wait until after trade period to sack him - unlikely Longer and Bruce would have insisted on coming to St Kilda if we didn't have a coach at the time.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

nobody could work with watters. thats why so many of his staff have left him

#1 Ryder fan
Richter
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Mores to the point, who in holy f@@k allowed him on SEN this morning to say all is well?

WTF???????
Can only imagine he picked up the phone himself. Perhaps doing that was the last straw? Or perhaps SW saw the writing on the wall and decide to go down all guns blazing?!?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

I have heard first hand that this isn't true.

Do you really think the 'senior group' premeditated the burning of an entertainer on Mad Monday? ken spare me.