Dermott loves our club now

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dermott loves our club now

Maybe someone ask Dermie if he enjoyed that recent premiership, plus the one in 08 and remind him a good part of those successes were due to Pelchen's work at Hawthorn.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Maybe someone ask Dermie if he enjoyed that recent premiership, plus the one in 08 and remind him a good part of those successes were due to Pelchen's work at Hawthorn.

He actually said that wasnt true. It was due to Bucky.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Maybe someone ask Dermie if he enjoyed that recent premiership, plus the one in 08 and remind him a good part of those successes were due to Pelchen's work at Hawthorn.

He actually said that wasnt true. It was due to Bucky.
Maybe Bucky helped out Pot Adelaide too.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
kalsaint
Club Player

Beware.[/quote]
to be fair on Pelchen he was employed to reshape the club (something he sure is doing).. he had a plan on how to build the club up and to our knowllege that plan is still in full swing ,the board have bought into his plan (rightly or wrongly time will tell) and as part ofthat those who go against the plan are going to be under pressure , obviously at some level (discounting the rumours) Scott watters became a road block to the plan in the eyes of the board (rightfuly or wrongly) and in turn has been removed ..

the problem i see is if that is the case the next coach has to buy in 100% into the plan as well or else we are going to be seeing the same again ... talk of Harvey Choco whoever is really a guess the person who gets the job is the guy who is willing to embrace the plan ...

it might not ever work the plan could be a dud but i think we need to stay firm to that plan otherwise we really have nothing to fall back too ...[/quote]

Will take three years for the the next coach to go given that the appointment is left to those remaining.

Good grief someone had a plan! It hasn't been obvious from the club other than the recent trade period. Funny that Scott was in alignment with that part so what else needed to change? We will never know until those who are close to the club that are not happy start releasing info to Caro and other media moguls. Its a sad state of affairs to hear about the club's affairs (dirty washing) this way.

Other that that, the Club management now says "Trust Me". I think I am not alone here as I don't anymore. History has shown that this sort of approach hasn't worked before. What's going to be different to ensure an aligned and successful club? Driving memberships down through continued Leadership issues is a sure fire way to becoming a perennial loser.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

TJMcCarthy wrote:I can dismiss Brereton's sensational comments for the most part but I'm not a happy Sainter.
Where is the truth in all this?
SW comes on SEN this morning proclaiming all is well.
Did he lie? Surely not. The rug was pulled out from under him i strongly suspect.
All should eyes should fall on the man holding the knife. Dermie was right about that.
It all depends on your perspective, doesn't it.
If you're in the Watters camp you could quite easily come to the conclusion that you have.

If you're in the 'opposition camp' then you might draw the following conclusions :-
The Board , after the extensive review from Andrew Thompson, decided it needed to replace Watters.
It immediately put on hold any talk of a contract extension for him.
They came to the conclusion that to sack him at that time would be counter-productive to your list management objectives.
To keep up the harmonious image that you are trying to portray you would 'mislead' (lie) to Watters about his position and prospects.
Watters apparently lied about having the Club's approval to do this morning's interview.

What do you say if those who made the decision to terminate his contract are actually correct?
Should they not have sacked him?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Well, I did hear about Saad saga with regards to the Brisbane game.
On that incident only, he probably deserved the chop.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Can people stop suggesting Pelchin was responsible for Premierships in 04 & 08?

He was an employee there....

The ship was steered by Choco and Clarkson .... The delivered the training and onfield strategy that delivered them success.... And the rest of the staff also were a part of it... Strength and condition, assistants, fitness, recruiter(s) VFL development.... And so on

We carry on here, like he was responsible ....... How does he take credit for Crawford, Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Osborne.... Clarko's Cluster.... Tasmania??

If we won the premiership in 2009.... Would the head of footy be the mastermind or Ross Lyon?!

Majority
Club Player

Fine said the departures of Dean Laidley, Greg Hutchinson, Jaymie Graham, Bill Davoren was evident all was not right at Linen House.

"It became pretty clear that there were very few people at the football club that Scott Watters had a working relationship with.

"That had become pretty clear to myself by September 16th. It was just not working for Scott Watters at the St Kilda Football Club.

"It many cases you try to work and mend fences and repair those relationships.

"The longer time went the less that seemed to be possible.

Mark Fine on SEN today................http://www.sen.com.au/display-article-2 ... ters/62380 (audio available)

"With Dean Laidley the senior assistant leaving to go to Carlton only 48 hours ago. It seemed that those people close to him could not work with Scott Watters," he said.

Fine said Watters was not a good man manger.

"St Kilda Football Club had become, over the last few days, acutely aware of how difficult it was to work with Scott Watters from an assistant coach point of view, a players point of view and an internal administration point of view.

"He was given plenty of time to modify his people skills and that had not happened," he said.

Fine raised the issue of Ahmed Saad as an example of Watters failed attempt to stamp his authority on St Kilda.

After a controversial week, Saad was a late inclusion to play Brisbane in Round 19.

The week before, Saad, who had been dropped to the VFL, had seven possessions and injured his quad in the reserves and it was revealed that he had tested positive to a banned supplement with ASADA.

"Ahmed Saad played against Brisbane. There was one person who made sure that he played that game, that was Scott Watters.

"It was very much a case of Scott Watters trying to impose his authority over and above a number of people at the football club.

"It was an extraordinary evening, it wasn’t fair to Ahmed Saad," he said.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Dermott's a fool. I've never rated him as a commentator. Yes, he was a very good footballer but have a look at the team he was in. Hawthorn dominated that era. How would his career have gone at another club?

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
TJMcCarthy
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
TJMcCarthy wrote:I can dismiss Brereton's sensational comments for the most part but I'm not a happy Sainter.
Where is the truth in all this?
SW comes on SEN this morning proclaiming all is well.
Did he lie? Surely not. The rug was pulled out from under him i strongly suspect.
All should eyes should fall on the man holding the knife. Dermie was right about that.
It all depends on your perspective, doesn't it.
If you're in the Watters camp you could quite easily come to the conclusion that you have.

If you're in the 'opposition camp' then you might draw the following conclusions :-
The Board , after the extensive review from Andrew Thompson, decided it needed to replace Watters.
It immediately put on hold any talk of a contract extension for him.
They came to the conclusion that to sack him at that time would be counter-productive to your list management objectives.
To keep up the harmonious image that you are trying to portray you would 'mislead' (lie) to Watters about his position and prospects.
Watters apparently lied about having the Club's approval to do this morning's interview.

What do you say if those who made the decision to terminate his contract are actually correct?
Should they not have sacked him?
I can't answer that. Define correct. It's about a decision on suitability. It's always a gamble. Well for mine the truth is paramount, and the truth must come out. I remain alarmed and confused. Please note, i'm not a stuck on SW supporter and i listen to Mark Fine's comments with concern. Fundamentally i demand truth and fair play in all dealings. I'm not sure that's what we're getting from this StKFC board.

Who should have control of player list management? Surely it's the football department, not the board. What do ya reckon?

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:Brereton's comments are unsurprising. He's furious his mate got the chop. None of us will never know the true story. It lies somewhere between Mark Fine's version and Dermott Brereton's.

Was Watters like Mark Neeld, or was he more like Tim Watson?
neeld and watters both got big wraps from malthouse and they both got the arse at their first go at Senior coaching in the AFL.

MM knows his stuff :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

There are many myths in football, but one of the truest things I ever heard was from Grant Thomas, who said that AFL coaches (or coaching) were greatly overrated. It takes a team of people to get the job done, yet coaches like Malthouse are treated like the Messiah. If he was that good, why did he win one premiership in 17 years. Sheedy won 2 premierships in his last 20 years. If anyone hangs around for that long, the wheel will turn. A broken clock tells the right time twice a day!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

StK has hung around for over a hundred years and only told the correct time once

In the last thirty years hawthorn has managed 7 times

It's not all about luck

TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Are we bagging Dermie now.... Like Car, Finey and anyone else who has RIGHTFULLY criticised management of StK FC

Get rid of Pelchin

His power is dangerous...

Then you will say the club is in further disarray just as you are saying now even though I thought you didnt rate SW at all.
Sorry plugs BM is spot on with his thoughts on Pelchen. He will drive the club into murky territory.

He played the sentimental card re: Yabby and it has seemed to have work.

Snake in the grass. Way outstrips everyone's perceptions about GT being power hungry.

This bloke is way past GT in terms of that

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Thanks

I would have thought it obvious?

What do you reckon Ross Lyon and Al Clarkson think of Pelchin??.... Of course Watters now?

He's a behind the scenes person who pulls the strings.... Results keep coaches accountable... It's why they pull the strings

The board judges coaches on their results..

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

BigMart, I see your point about one premiership, but we haven't had the same coach for over a hundred years. You're missing my point. I was talking about coaching. Are you going to point the same finger at the Bulldogs? How many premierships have they had? Up until last year, the Swans had only won one in 70 years. Will you also point the finger at them? Richmond have made the finals twice in 30 years.

This nonsense about us only winning one premiership is irrelevant to this whole thing. Was the current administration around in the 80s? The club's decision today has nothing to do with history, it has everything to do with the present and the future, and that's all you can ask of a club. No one can control or change the past, although it seems that many people keep imagining that our football club goes in a time machine back to the 80's every week. The club has acted in the best interests of its members. THe reason it has sacked the coach is that it understands that a full team effort is required off the field to get the job done, and if it's currently dysfunctional, it has to be fixed.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I do consider the bulldogs poorly managed.... They accept being mediocre and don't have a culture of expected excellence...

Sth Melbourne/Sydney basket cases until Eade took over in 96... With help from AFL by delivering Roos/Lockett... Since have been a benchmark club with an obvious advantage

Geelong were soft... Until Costa and his board had had enough and made people accountable for performance

Fitzroy.... Not sustainable

Melbourne.... Made some costly errors, and it took a hero to save the joint...

Richmond had turned into a sideshow joke, only a strong management could change Its reactionary culture Gale/Hardwick

StK are unprofessional ATM as they were in the 80s... It reflects leadership... 2002-2006 stk had good management wrt expectations and core values which unhinged eventually due to conflict
Well led onfield 2007-2011.... But Ross did not look after the stk FC .... He only cared about banking the 4 points and moving on.... He did not pay attention to development and that ultimately put us in this mess...

seano1
Club Player

flog forgets that Hawks almost merged with the Demons.......then they went about rebuilding the club into the strong position it has now...maybe this is the kick in the guts we need to move forward.....not sure if this would be the time for Harvs to take the lead role we may need someone like choco or even worsfold who have been to the big dance to do the re build

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Scott is his mate, which disqualifies him from making rational comment.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Thanks

I would have thought it obvious?

What do you reckon Ross Lyon and Al Clarkson think of Pelchin??.... Of course Watters now?

He's a behind the scenes person who pulls the strings.... Results keep coaches accountable... It's why they pull the strings

The board judges coaches on their results..
If he Pelchen was the main reason Lyon left.......
I will forgive him any current or future transgressions!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why would someone have forgot that? They ALMOST merged....

How does that make any point??

andrewg
Club Player

boneless23 wrote:He is best mates with Watters!!

I wouldn't have expected him to say anything else!
What would the tea room at SEN be like when Dermie and Finey are in there together?

linz
Club Player

BigMart wrote:StK has hung around for over a hundred years and only told the correct time once

It's not all about luck
$ helps

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Brereton has popped up in a facebook status with someone on my list.
I won't cut and paste it, but it's fair to say he has gone to town on Pelchin. Says he was his boss,and Stkilda did him a favour by poaching him as he was going to have to sack him and pay him out.... Says no one can work with him,Port hate him,and he lied about recruiting Buddy... Says pelchin is responsible for the mass exodus of saints staff in the last month and has got rid of the lot of them single handedly..

Bring back the Lockett era
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:
BigMart wrote:StK has hung around for over a hundred years and only told the correct time once

It's not all about luck
$ helps
So did a change in Clubs zones.
How many of those fabulous Hawthorn teams of the 70's and 80's contained players/champions that came from the same zone that was previously ours?
Another convenient fact left out of an argument to bolster an agenda.

Maybe, just maybe, if the zones had remained 4 or 5 of those Hawthorn premiership flags may now be flying at Moorabbin/Seaford?
Certainly players like Matthews and Brereton himself would have added plenty to our teams.
Even our champion Stewart Loewe came from that Hawks zone (previously our zone) - they obviously made a mistake cutting him from their U19's so we could grab him.