Welcome home Mr R Harvey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Re: Welcome home Mr R Harvey

plugger66 wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Has to be Mark Williams, just has to be. I want a premiership coach in control.
Give him 5 years, 3 to rebuild and then 2 to start seeing some real results.

I love Harvey as much as anyone but we need a Mark Williams type to sort the place out.
He would have also worked with Pelchen at Port Adelaide when they won the flag.

What proof have we got that you love Rob Harvey?
Ha Ha, I don't know Plugger? What proof have we got that you love Tony Lockett?

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Some posters bagging out Harvey with an emphatic NO should ask themselves exactly why not? Doing a disservice to the man imo. Is simply a champion, a role model, respected by all players, and the hardest worker at any club. has done his apprenticeship and is certainly a better option than the useless fellow we hired over him.
So ask yourself why not?
It is a gut feeling?
Why would you have such a gut feeling? On what basis?
Is it because he IS st kilda, and st kilda fail?
Or is it that you don't want him to fail?
Or would you rather he return when things are looking rosier?

If you don't take a risk you don't fail, you pretty much tread water.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Really who would want to coach the Saints. Harvey may be the only one willing to take the job on. At the moment the job is a poison chalice.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Some posters bagging out Harvey with an emphatic NO should ask themselves exactly why not? Doing a disservice to the man imo. Is simply a champion, a role model, respected by all players, and the hardest worker at any club. has done his apprenticeship and is certainly a better option than the useless fellow we hired over him.
So ask yourself why not?
It is a gut feeling?

I think like many people I initially thought he wasn't a candidate to be a senior coach of an AFL coach. For two reasons basically.

1. During his career he had never really expressed a strong desire to coach.

2. As much as we love the bloke, he's never been an impressive public speaker.

However he has continued to pursue a coaching career and there's little doubt he knows a hell of a lot about the game. No doubt he has grown into this coaching caper. Maybe now he is an impressive orator.

Bottom line is I have no idea, however I am no longer against the idea if he decides to apply and if the selection committee believes he is the best candidate.

Having said that, the way our list currently sits, combined with today's events, would make it a very difficult gig for a Rookie coach.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

This time the selection process better get it right.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:Some posters bagging out Harvey with an emphatic NO should ask themselves exactly why not? Doing a disservice to the man imo. Is simply a champion, a role model, respected by all players, and the hardest worker at any club. has done his apprenticeship and is certainly a better option than the useless fellow we hired over him.
So ask yourself why not?
It is a gut feeling?

Because right now we need stability and someone who has been at the coal face of developing up a successful AFL side before - NOT an untried rookie.... Saints legend or not

Tim Watsons an Essendon legend - cant coach
Some guys are great assistants - from whenever I've listened to Harvs speak that's what he sounds like

He lead by exams on field - but was always quietly spoken off it. To be a great coach you need to be able to also sell the club and vision and I don't think he has that to be frank.

“Yeah….nah””
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I haven't posted on this site for years, some due to the lack of respect for just voicing your opinion & probably more the trauma of the close grand final loses affecting my mental health & I'm sure I'm not the Robinson Curusoe there .Lets face it Banga is a legend of the club & I would love to see him get the gig this time. Last time he was between the devil & the deep blue sea Ross had just got us to 2 sorry 3 Grandfinal's & the final series again in 20011 & with a ageing top heavy list it was alaway going to be a tough ask & in my words at the time it would be like shooting Bambi. This time around what do we have lose where going to be down at the bottom end for a while( hopefully not too long).We have already made the rebuilding transition public & have recruited some young & up coming talent & with picks #3 17 & 18 there is a good chance with the right culture & nurturing that I'm sure Banga will bring to our proud but not so successful club might just be what we need.In saying that lets not just throw him to the wolves as soon as things don't go to plan lets look at the bigger picture & hopefully one day see one of our home grown lead us to glory. In words of Paul Kelly from little things big things grow we just might have wait a bit longer but the wait will hopefully worth it .
Please excuse my diction & spelling I'm a plumber not scholar

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
So ask yourself why not?
It is a gut feeling?

Because right now we need stability and someone who has been at the coal face of developing up a successful AFL side before - NOT an untried rookie.... Saints legend or not

Tim Watsons an Essendon legend - cant coach
Some guys are great assistants - from whenever I've listened to Harvs speak that's what he sounds like

He lead by exams on field - but was always quietly spoken off it. To be a great coach you need to be able to also sell the club and vision and I don't think he has that to be frank.
Tim Watson. Hmmm.

Sounds like you want Williams. No one else fits.
I'd be okay with Williams. Be okay with Tudor. Be okay with Harvey.
Be very, very happy with Harvey and one of the others to mentor him.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saint6709
Club Player

Would like to see Harvey with an experienced assistant - but would be a brave man to make the appointment - if he was a fizzer it would be likely to devestate the club and the supporters

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: To be a great coach you need to be able to also sell the club and vision and I don't think he has that to be frank.
But you are forgetting Teffers that with the "structures" that club has in place under Pelchen that all the coach has to do or is allowed to do is "coach"

If these strustures are to be strictly adhered to then it should be someone elses job to sell the club and vision :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sainter#4
Club Player

as much as i love Harves and believe me i do

I don't think he is a senior coach and i don't want to have him and his legacy tarnished if he takes over.

This next senior coach needs to be someone like alistair clarkson ( my hope was next year the rumours were true and he and the hawks split and we pounced) Who commands respect, is respectful of the past but can teach and nurture the future. I don't know if harves can do this, I've never seen him get dirty on someone and he always led by example as has been alluded too but i just don't see a senior coach in him.

I think the club has to understand this next appointment has to be successful, He has to be able to mould the list and take it from the cellars to the top of the mountain.

At the end of the day letting watters go was the right move...it just wasn't the correct time (that was 4 weeks ago) or handled in the right way.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Harvey with some great assistants around him ,trouble is there are not many left on the shelf!

PADDLEPOP1000
slider
Club Player

Deep inside i want Harves to get a crack, to me he is St Kilda, his perceived laid back style may bring harmony to the playing group, get more members on board, and create some stability, underneath that perceived lay back style is a man that doesnt take any messing around and is as astute in his preparation for coaching as he was as a player with his training prep.

No one knows if he can be head coach or not, but all indications are he can, at least at assistants level hes top of the heap, where was cuddles when he came to us? Cuddles failed because of his attitude to the club in general, Harves is St Kilda through and through and would only do whats best for the club and the playing group.

I dont want to see Harves come on board and fail though, that would be paramount to an earth quake under my house for me, but we will never know unless he gets the chance.

Bring him on without restrictions or mentors, why not take the punt?

I dont want Choco i reckon his days are over, i dont think his style would settle the boys either, there's enough idiots in the place with out Choc adding to it.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Coaches are overrated anyway so why not Harves. At least he's not a raving lunatic like Choco, Sheedy, Malthouse, Pagan, Clarkson etc. The fact that those 5 madmen are premiership coaches just proves that any goose can coach if the right players are there. Get some good assistants around him, draft well the next couple of years and he will be fine.

southernsaint
Club Player

How about a Robert Harvey Alan Richardson combination with Danny Frawley in a Football Operations Manager role.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Teflon wrote: To be a great coach you need to be able to also sell the club and vision and I don't think he has that to be frank.
But you are forgetting Teffers that with the "structures" that club has in place under Pelchen that all the coach has to do or is allowed to do is "coach"

If these strustures are to be strictly adhered to then it should be someone elses job to sell the club and vision :wink:
The coach reports to pelican
He has a say in direction
He has media presence to talk about that

What he must not do us assume both his and Pelicabs role

Get that and we have harmony

It ain't hard

“Yeah….nah””
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Strangely enough I have faith in the club that they won't appoint Harvey just because of the esteem he is held in.

My reason is that he went for the job two years ago, and the club weren't scared to tell him he was a long way off the pace.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
stinger
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Really who would want to coach the Saints. Harvey may be the only one willing to take the job on. At the moment the job is a poison chalice.
yep...hopefully choco will turn the job down...don't want filth working for my saints....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:Deep inside i want Harves to get a crack, to me he is St Kilda, his perceived laid back style may bring harmony to the playing group, get more members on board, and create some stability, underneath that perceived lay back style is a man that doesnt take any messing around and is as astute in his preparation for coaching as he was as a player with his training prep.

No one knows if he can be head coach or not, but all indications are he can, at least at assistants level hes top of the heap, where was cuddles when he came to us? Cuddles failed because of his attitude to the club in general, Harves is St Kilda through and through and would only do whats best for the club and the playing group.

I dont want to see Harves come on board and fail though, that would be paramount to an earth quake under my house for me, but we will never know unless he gets the chance.

Bring him on without restrictions or mentors, why not take the punt?

I dont want Choco i reckon his days are over, i dont think his style would settle the boys either, there's enough idiots in the place with out Choc adding to it.
good comments...if we knock back the favorite son a second time...that will be it.......he will never apply again....

choco is a loose cannon imho...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jaxons
Club Player

I will guarantee that Harvs will not be senior coach.
If he is, I will hang up my posting boots on this site.
Very very very remote possibility that he may be senior assistant under Choco and mentored for the senior gig one day.
Even this is very unlikely.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:I will guarantee that Harvs will not be senior coach.
Very very very remote possibility that he may be senior assistant under Choco and mentored for the senior gig one day.
You bring sanity to my world Jaxons

Would they look at a Tudor Choco type deal at all ? (think Tudor had the experience - like Hinkley ready to go)

“Yeah….nah””
jaxons
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
jaxons wrote:I will guarantee that Harvs will not be senior coach.
You bring sanity to my world Jaxons

Would they look at a Tudor Choco type deal at all ? (think Tudor had the experience - like Hinkley ready to go)

Everyone has high regard for Leigh Tudor, and he is the only other possibility as Senior coach if Choco shoots himself in the foot.
He won't come as an assistant though as he just joined North.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's probably between Choco and Richardson.

I'd lean towards Richardson. But what the F#ck would I know! What the f*ck would anyone know apart from Jacksons.

That's a comment and not a question btw.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yep we'd have to offer Tudor top gig with a Choco support model

That's my dream team but I guess then Choco would ask why bother??

Just think tactically Tudor really has it

Go the dream team Saints - stuff North offer Tudor big job a d throw more coin at Choco (who could handle the Pelican relationship).

Be bold

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:It's probably between Choco and Richardson.

I'd lean towards Richardson. But what the F#ck would I know! What the f*ck would anyone know apart from Jacksons.

That's a comment and not a question btw.
I'm hoping its Tudor/Choco ... Both

“Yeah….nah””