Simon McPhee

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

zebraman
Club Player

Re: Simon McPhee

stinger wrote:i know you q was directed at bm...but personally i don't think those type of alignments can ever work to the satisfaction...complete or otherwise...of either party......stand alone teams are the only way to go imho.....
As far as I can tell, 2106 will be the time when both teams stand alone...Moorabbin has to be upgraded to a minimum standard for spectators...I assume the surface is still ok there..

Once that all happens then both teams can go their separate ways

Unfortunately it's been a pretty uneasy alignment...I just hope that in the next 2 years things improve so both parties get some benefit.

I'm just waiting to see what the new St Kilda coaches' attitude is to alignments...

" The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

what was ur view of the old coaches attitude Zeb?

just curious

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

zebraman wrote: As far as I can tell, 2106 will be the time when both teams stand alone...Moorabbin has to be upgraded to a minimum standard for spectators...I assume the surface is still ok there..

that's a long wait--- I did the same yesterday- was waiting for 2104....

it's a shame it hasn't worked well- as there are so many links back over the last 100 years== or atleast the last 40 years-- connections and history could have been so differant :( ..

onward and upward for both--beside and then apart...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
zebraman
Club Player

skeptic wrote:what was ur view of the old coaches attitude Zeb?

just curious
Lyon didn't attend all that many games...the ones he did he would have a quick chat to a Saints listed player at 1/4 or 3/4 time...sometimes wouldn't say anything at all..I can only talk about away games as I was in the scoreboard at home games so I assume he did attend a few of those

Watters started off ok...I was at a meeting at sandy where he spoke and stated that he knew the difficulties associated with alignments as he'd had to deal with them when he was a coach in the WAFL...Pelchen also spoke at the same meeting...the statement that got my notice was that the Sandy team would be selected on one criteria only...FORM...after that things changed...during 2012 and 2013 there were a couple of players that should have been dropped to the Development squad...Winmar and Shenton in 2012...Lever and Staley in 2013..to his credit Shenton really turned things around and I really hope he gets another year with St Kilda...Winmars form was so bad in 2012, that if he was a Sandy listed player he would most probably have been shipped out to a local league to try and get some form. the low point was this year when Watters pulled out 2 Players (Jason Blake and Sam Dunell) an hour before the main game..both players were in the middle of their pre game preparation...after that I had zero respect for Watters..even Ross Lyon didn't do that...

That was when our President and CEO got involved with the hierarchy at Seaford and was the catalyst for a few requests in the contract for seasons 2014-2015...e.g the minimum amount of Sandy players to be selected each week.....the alignment officially ended at the end of October but the paperwork is in place with a couple of points to be ironed out and then I assume both parties will sign up. From what I can gather the new coach will see what is written and agreed upon in this contract and as he will be reporting directly to Pelchen will go along with what has been agreed to...

So it's another waiting game...the thing that did surprise me is that it appears that Watters for whatever reason didn't like reporting to Pelchen even though it surely must have been spelt out to him on his appointment that this was how the hierarchy was set up.

But in the end there are 2 differing sides in an alignment....at Sandy we want to win and play finals...St Kilda want their players developed in a certain way...both perfectly understandable viewpoints.

The tricky part is getting both to work together..

Hopefully the next 2 years will see a greater degree of harmony.

" The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle "
zebraman
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
zebraman wrote: As far as I can tell, 2106 will be the time when both teams stand alone...Moorabbin has to be upgraded to a minimum standard for spectators...I assume the surface is still ok there..

it's a shame it hasn't worked well- as there are so many links back over the last 100 years== or atleast the last 40 years-- connections and history could have been so differant :( ..

Agreed SB..I was at Sandy yesterday and was reminiscing with a couple of people there how a few of the ST Kilda players would come down to Sandy on a Sunday...park themselves on the beach side wing and indulge in a few bevvies...John Bennett..Trevor barker and Nicky Winmar would often be there

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

zebraman wrote:
saintbrat wrote:

Agreed SB..I was at Sandy yesterday and was reminiscing with a couple of people there how a few of the ST Kilda players would come down to Sandy on a Sunday...park themselves on the beach side wing and indulge in a few bevvies...John Bennett..Trevor barker and Nicky Winmar would often be there
finally getting around to reading the 'Strength through loyalty' book and the connections are amazing-
whilst I can see there may be a divide between winning and developing I don't understand how it can't work for both-- If players are working to do their best and all understand that winning at each level is best for the team ..
but I am not and never wil be a coach..
It is always pleasing to see Saints players getting down to TBBO and other grounds to see Sandy play-- and support their teammates.
Scott was there quite often- generally over near the grandstand- with players and Hutchy..and toward end of season DB would appear as well-

how's that ground looking? looks like IO'll get front row grandstand seat the fence is out that far....:)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote: how's that ground looking? looks like IO'll get front row grandstand seat the fence is out that far....:)
Players will risk life and limb with the concrete around the boundary!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

zebraman wrote:
Lyon didn't attend all that many games...the ones he did he would have a quick chat to a Saints listed player at 1/4 or 3/4 time...sometimes wouldn't say anything at all..I can only talk about away games as I was in the scoreboard at home games so I assume he did attend a few of those

Watters started off ok...I was at a meeting at sandy where he spoke and stated that he knew the difficulties associated with alignments as he'd had to deal with them when he was a coach in the WAFL...Pelchen also spoke at the same meeting...the statement that got my notice was that the Sandy team would be selected on one criteria only...FORM...after that things changed...during 2012 and 2013 there were a couple of players that should have been dropped to the Development squad...Winmar and Shenton in 2012...Lever and Staley in 2013..to his credit Shenton really turned things around and I really hope he gets another year with St Kilda...Winmars form was so bad in 2012, that if he was a Sandy listed player he would most probably have been shipped out to a local league to try and get some form. the low point was this year when Watters pulled out 2 Players (Jason Blake and Sam Dunell) an hour before the main game..both players were in the middle of their pre game preparation...after that I had zero respect for Watters..even Ross Lyon didn't do that...

That was when our President and CEO got involved with the hierarchy at Seaford and was the catalyst for a few requests in the contract for seasons 2014-2015...e.g the minimum amount of Sandy players to be selected each week.....the alignment officially ended at the end of October but the paperwork is in place with a couple of points to be ironed out and then I assume both parties will sign up. From what I can gather the new coach will see what is written and agreed upon in this contract and as he will be reporting directly to Pelchen will go along with what has been agreed to...

So it's another waiting game...the thing that did surprise me is that it appears that Watters for whatever reason didn't like reporting to Pelchen even though it surely must have been spelt out to him on his appointment that this was how the hierarchy was set up.

But in the end there are 2 differing sides in an alignment....at Sandy we want to win and play finals...St Kilda want their players developed in a certain way...both perfectly understandable viewpoints.

The tricky part is getting both to work together..

Hopefully the next 2 years will see a greater degree of harmony.
Thank you very much for that zebraman.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn and Box Hill worked it out?

derby Street
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Hawthorn and Box Hill worked it out?
You still can't give us your magical solution - except that Box Hill and the Hawks have worked it out ??????

Surprise us all.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Is it up to me to come up with solutions?

A supporter, with a full time job who has a kick on the weekends... Or should it be up to the many well paid professionals employed to do that job?

My membership imo allows me to make comment, and have an opinion.... It doesn't require me to suggest how to run the joint... Unless of course, Nettles wants to pay me?

Are you arguing differently....

Do you think the alignment is successful, has it ever been?

Finals twice in 13 years in the VFL.... 2001/2007 in reality, both times on the back of experienced VFL players

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Is it up to me to come up with solutions?

A supporter, with a full time job who has a kick on the weekends... Or should it be up to the many well paid professionals employed to do that job?

My membership imo allows me to make comment, and have an opinion.... It doesn't require me to suggest how to run the joint... Unless of course, Nettles wants to pay me?

Are you arguing differently....

Do you think the alignment is successful, has it ever been?

Finals twice in 13 years in the VFL.... 2001/2007 in reality, both times on the back of experienced VFL players

We arent asking for you to find solutions, just to tell us how you would run it afterall you said it was run poorly. Lets face it you love critising but dont what to put it on the line with some sort of answer.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't Hawthorn more or less own Box Hill?

Not a like for like comparison

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There is a combination of AFL and VFL listed players.... They develop and win.

Whatever they do, seems to work?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Doesn't Hawthorn more or less own Box Hill?

Not a like for like comparison
Yes,the Hawks more or less own Box Hill, by comparison..

You won't see Box Hill's President and CEO going to Hawthorn and telling them the minimum amount of Box Hill players to be selected each week, it won't happen.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?