One for Dermie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

Re: One for Dermie

Dermott Brererton king hit Spud Frawley. Dermott Brereton racially vilified Nicky Winmar. Dermott Brereton said we "didn't have the cattle" at the start of the 1997 season when we we all know what happened later that year. Dermott Brereton wanted Gary Ayres as coach ahead of Alistair Clarkson. Dermott Brereton was a talented thug on the footy field, and a total tool off it. And I won't start on his background.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:And I won't start on his background.
Go on… do tell…?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Go on… do tell…?

Dont think it is relevent. probably about his Dad. Nothing to do with his knowledge of footy or what type of person dermie is.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Go on… do tell…?
Background might mean family and family members. An area that I think we should stay away from !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Agree. Respect where it is due…

ctqs
Club Player

Yeah apologies for the misunderstanding. I don't believe in going personal or bringing third parties into things. I was trying to be facetious by saying I wouldn't start on his past when that was exactly what I did.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:Dermott Brererton king hit Spud Frawley. Dermott Brereton racially vilified Nicky Winmar. Dermott Brereton said we "didn't have the cattle" at the start of the 1997 season when we we all know what happened later that year. Dermott Brereton wanted Gary Ayres as coach ahead of Alistair Clarkson. Dermott Brereton was a talented thug on the footy field, and a total tool off it. And I won't start on his background.
My exact sentiments. He's always had it in for our club. His opinion isn't valid.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His opinion has more validity and credibility than SS members.... Just the realistic truth?!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:His opinion has more validity and credibility than SS members.... Just the realistic truth?!

You just dont get it. it actually doesnt in this case. As best he is actually probably more biased than many on here because he is sticking up for a mate in the media. Anyone can see that if they were impartial. Pity you arent impartial.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not sure of what you argued.... But please don't tell me that one of the most successful people in the industry over the last 30 years has no credibility with his opinions?!

His points are definitely not nice to hear, but how can anyone be sure they are incorrect!

He is mates with SW.... But perhaps that relationship gives him intimate knowledge of the goings on over the course of 2013... I'd say he'd know Pelchen better than us, I'd say his comments were not ignorant?
Yes he is batting for a mate, like Roos does... But not without point!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Jesus BigMart! Next you'll be calling up SEN to whisper sweet nothings over of the phone to Dermie.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not sure of what you argued.... But please don't tell me that one of the most successful people in the industry over the last 30 years has no credibility with his opinions?!

His points are definitely not nice to hear, but how can anyone be sure they are incorrect!

He is mates with SW.... But perhaps that relationship gives him intimate knowledge of the goings on over the course of 2013... I'd say he'd know Pelchen better than us, I'd say his comments were not ignorant?
Yes he is batting for a mate, like Roos does... But not without point!

As a real Saints supporter i ask can you be sure they are correct. So what if people here are biased. Most of us love the saints and its human nature to be biased. Well for most humans just as Dermie is.

jack
Club Player

Dermie likes to think that the Hawthorn culture was so strong back when he played and this is the reason they were so strong. In part this is true.

The biggest reason they were so successful in his era was because of the recruiting zoning laws. Ian Stewart when he was at the Saints as an administrator commissioned a study to look at how fair the recruiting zones were. Zones where allocated on geographic size and not based on population or Football teams in that area. The results were that the Saints and Footscray had the least local teams to recruit players from. Hawthorn and North Melbourne had more than twice the amount of teams that they could get players from than what we had. The zones that St Kilda had to pick from was Ballarat which provided some good players and our city zone was around Moorabbin and Braeside. Most of the area was factories which do not produce any players(Trevor Barker being the exception). Hawthorn South Melbourne and Melbourne got a heap of great players from areas close to Moorabbin that were zoned to them. A couple of examples are Leigh Mathews(Chelsea), Gerard Healy(Edithvale), Warrick Capper(Oakleigh) and Dermie himself(Frankston). This is just an example off the top of my head.

I know that they did a lot of things right in the 70's and 80's, but it sure makes it a lot easier when you have more than twice the amount of players to pick from. Also remember that the best coach that Hawthorn ever had was a Saints man. Alan Jeans.

when you judge someone,
You don't define them,
You define yourself.
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

And at the same time he was racially vilifying players, he was quite happy to be playing for a team with a blatant "no indigenous" policy -Most people I knew in the 80's would have been outraged to be part of something so backward and offensive, not the boys at the family club! Careful when you start digging up the past Dermie, who knows what skeletons you'll uncover!

Look again it's the Flash!!
bozza1980
Club Player

BigMart wrote:His opinion has more validity and credibility than SS members.... Just the realistic truth?!
?? Ok.

But the fact remains that he is still a human being, and human beings are fallible.

In this case, he has used emotion, rather than facts, to come to his conclusion.

Does this mean he is wrong?? No it doesnt, but it does mean that he is guessing, just like the rest of us, you can put as much weight as you like in another mans guess, but until he gives more solid reasons than:

- he chooses his friends carefully
- Watters is top 3 football brains he knows
- St Kilda have a poor history with coaches

I think you are placing more validity than you should in his rant.

The fact that Dermie is careful in selecting his mates has zero relevance, is he suggesting that Watters is the only decent bloke to be sacked as an AFL coach??

The other 2 in his top 3 were sacked by clubs.

Richmond and Melbourne have equally questionable histories with hiring and firing coaches, yet noone would suggest they have got the last of each wrong.

If I blindly say the club got the decision right, my opinion has as much validity as Dermie's in this instance, zero.

i have no idea if the club has made the right decision, I am hoping that they have, but until the club and Scott Watters tell their side of the tale, that will remain the case.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:
?? Ok.

But the fact remains that he is still a human being, and human beings are fallible.

In this case, he has used emotion, rather than facts, to come to his conclusion.

Does this mean he is wrong?? No it doesnt, but it does mean that he is guessing, just like the rest of us, you can put as much weight as you like in another mans guess, but until he gives more solid reasons than:

- he chooses his friends carefully
- Watters is top 3 football brains he knows
- St Kilda have a poor history with coaches

I think you are placing more validity than you should in his rant.

The fact that Dermie is careful in selecting his mates has zero relevance, is he suggesting that Watters is the only decent bloke to be sacked as an AFL coach??

The other 2 in his top 3 were sacked by clubs.

Richmond and Melbourne have equally questionable histories with hiring and firing coaches, yet noone would suggest they have got the last of each wrong.

If I blindly say the club got the decision right, my opinion has as much validity as Dermie's in this instance, zero.

i have no idea if the club has made the right decision, I am hoping that they have, but until the club and Scott Watters tell their side of the tale, that will remain the case.
All true.
And if you wanted to be a whorethorn fan boi, wouldn't you choose Terry Wallace?
Not a thug, and at least he had the nads to coach.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

People on SS are also acting with Bias and Emotion

Ridiculously so....

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:People on SS are also acting with Bias and Emotion

Ridiculously so....
Just like derm.

But he's the"pro", and this is a "fan" forum.

He went off his nut because his mate got sacked. Fair enough, but to rationalise his tanty because you are in awe of his legend?

Have a few beers with him. The awe wears off pretty quickly.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
BigMart wrote:People on SS are also acting with Bias and Emotion

Ridiculously so....
Just like derm.

But he's the"pro", and this is a "fan" forum.

He went off his nut because his mate got sacked. Fair enough, but to rationalise his tanty because you are in awe of his legend?

Have a few beers with him. The awe wears off pretty quickly.
CORRECTION; He went off his nut to get HIMSELF some publicity. It worked !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I was watching the Hairdressing mockumentary "The Big Tease" and could've sworn that was Dermie on the screen :)

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I was watching the Hairdressing mockumentary "The Big Tease" and could've sworn that was Dermie on the screen :)

Nah, looks too intelligent to be Dummitt !!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In Awe.... No

I just think he knows more about the footy industry than you or I.....

I think he's earned that, we haven't ..... I think he know both

We don't know either

I think everything we say is speculation..... Most things he says are from experience in the game at the highest level.

Mocking me is one thing, it's easy.... Mocking 'pros' is a bit silly and makes us look foolish

DWOODROW
Club Player

Any man that straightens his hair is odd to me.
All the old footy clips I've seen he had curly blonde hair.

What the hell happened

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Any man that straightens his hair is odd to me.
All the old footy clips I've seen he had curly blonde hair.

What the hell happened

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:In Awe.... No

I just think he knows more about the footy industry than you or I.....

I think he's earned that, we haven't ..... I think he know both

We don't know either

I think everything we say is speculation..... Most things he says are from experience in the game at the highest level.

Mocking me is one thing, it's easy.... Mocking 'pros' is a bit silly and makes us look foolish

Why can't I mock both of you?