St Kilda, a club in crisis. The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbeth
Club Player

Re: St Kilda, a club in crisis. The Age

Has anyone ever read a positive article about the Saints from Caro EVER??????????????? She seems to continually sink the boots in, epecially over the 'St Kilda schoolgirl' and the Lovatt cases. More recently she has criticised our coaches, admin, disarray, recruiting, money, disarray, Seaford, letting players go, disarray, president, senior players, disarray, etc . Never does our disastrous stadium deal come into any of her 'discussions' about our financial situation either. We must have done something to her once. Does anyone remember what it was??

Eastern has made a good point too about what she has reported about the Saad/ASADA case. Surely Saad is entitled to some privacy over this matter, at least until the case is finished. Do we EVER read negative stories she has written about Richmond Footy club or any of their players? Obviously, according to Caro, they dont have ANY problems at all. Where are her continuously disparaging articles about the exodus of players from the Brisbane Lions, or the fact that Geelong has let twice as many senior players go as we have, or the fact that Collingwood are not the same as they were under Malthouse and oh, that's right, some of their senior players have left too. Why arent these clubs lucky enough to have her constantly be condescending like St Kilda is????????????????

Saintbeth
gringo
Saintsational Legend

You just have to not bite. People reading them on line gives them hits. Each one of us has contributed a hit on their website. When the Editor looks at what trends he will see negative articles about St Kilda go nuts. Just like finey getting jammed with callers and emails the bosses will demand more of the same.

Collingwood are a very litigious club and scare off many journos who rubbish their brand otherwise nothing rates as well as a negative Pies story.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Honestly, what does the article actually say that the majority of people wouldn't already know.
Nothing article.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

did the premiership player who made a shocking mess of himself at the races make the papers? oh yeah not a saints player so not a story

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:did the premiership player who made a shocking mess of himself at the races make the papers? oh yeah not a saints player so not a story
Are you referring to Lance Franklin who was named by Tony Schebecki (spelling?) and Rita Panahi on SEN yesterday?

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

How is Saad drinking a sports drink with a banned substance on match day an indictment on the club? He had the drugs training, are we supposed to monitor players 24/7? That part of the article was its crux and doesn't hold up to even the barest of scrutiny. Pissweak journalism bordering on unethical given her obvious agendas...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
miskycat
Club Player

'But ...was endemic of the entire club. One that has allowed Moorabbin to sit moribund when it remains such a part of St Kilda's soul.'
This is the part of the article that really got to me, as it's spot on.

Seaford has been a negative in all ways for the club. I want to see the Saints back at Moorabbin. It's heart-rending seeing it sit there in its neglect. The club needs to re-embrace Moorabbin. It's symbolic as well 'real' for its supporters, something Seaford will never be. I want Summers to start driving this move.
Last edited by miskycat on Sat 09 Nov 2013 3:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:How is Saad drinking a sports drink with a banned substance on match day an indictment on the club? He had the drugs training, are we supposed to monitor players 24/7? That part of the article was its crux and doesn't hold up to even the barest of scrutiny. Pissweak journalism bordering on unethical given her obvious agendas...

exactly...well said......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

miskycat wrote:'But ...was endemic of the entire club. One that has allowed Moorabbin to sit moribund when it remains such a part of St Kilda's soul.'

Seaford has been a negative in all ways for the club. I want to see the Saints back at Moorabbin. It's heart-rending seeing it sit there in its neglect. The club needs to re-embrace Moorabbin. It's symbolic as well 'real' for its supporters, something Seaford will never be. I want Summers to start driving this move.
Do you live near Moorabbin?

I can honestly say that it makes absolutely no difference to me. I understand that it would be disappointing if you used to be able to walk to watch training, but for fans no-where near either it isn't an issue at all.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

What crithith?

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Let's face facts it's makes a huge difference to fans and most of all to the recruitment of players !

PADDLEPOP1000
dragit
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Let's face facts it's makes a huge difference to fans and most of all to the recruitment of players !
Do you mean the difference of Moorabbin & Seaford?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If we stopped giving headlines...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

In 2 yrs time if we turn it all around the journos will jump aboard and say crap like "what a massive turn around by the club, Kudos" blah blah. That's what they do, they bag one minute then blow smoke out of backsides, why people care what they say gets me.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:In 2 yrs time if we turn it all around the journos will jump aboard and say crap like "what a massive turn around by the club, Kudos" blah blah. That's what they do, they bag one minute then blow smoke out of backsides, why people care what they say gets me.
Exactly,they do it all the time,every week virtually in season.

It's time they are made accountable.

When the turnaround comes and they all write predictable articles of praise, I will be on a crusade to remind these clowns that there positions are untenable as 'experts'.

They write reactionary crap,the lot of them, doesn't matter which team it is. One week they talk premierships,then a loss the following week they talk doom and gloom. Never,ever do they talk about it being in the everyday cycle of football,the separation is chasms apart

Bring back the Lockett era
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

dragit wrote:
miskycat wrote:'But ...was endemic of the entire club. One that has allowed Moorabbin to sit moribund when it remains such a part of St Kilda's soul.'

Do you live near Moorabbin?

I can honestly say that it makes absolutely no difference to me. I understand that it would be disappointing if you used to be able to walk to watch training, but for fans no-where near either it isn't an issue at all.
Hi Dragstar, I'm very much with misky.

It matters very much because of the emotional attachment... this is footy, and footy was founded on, footy has grown on, and footy literally can only breathe... emotion. :idea:

It may sound contradictory, but I'd argue that 'emotion' is therefore a very pragmatic reason why we must work our way back to Moorabbin.

However, as you are clearly also a sensible and pragmatic person, I'll also offer some physical, substantive and measurable pragmatism.

Hillbilly Ho-Down as recently as the early 2000's was a suburban ground where one could stand in the outer, in mud. At that time they had recently had their coach (Ayres - a good reason to never, ever touch him) and new captain (forgotten his name, went to the then reigning premiers just in time for their Carey-inspired implosion :lol: ) walk out after a $6+mill debt was revealed.

Now... the ground looks amazing (with more to come), they make $800K profit from a home game there..., and as a sweetener... they very rarely loose a game there. :idea:

So IMHO, that's why we need to (eventually) return to Moorabbin
... emotion,
$$$...,
and that thing the interstate pretend clubs have that the real/traditional clubs don't have... a significant home ground advantage.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

saintsRrising wrote: ... Indeed the rumours are, and have always been that he (Westaway) was only ever a puppet for others on the Board, and if so that is no way to run a football club...
If so, then the next question would have to be... is Peter Summers the organ grinder...,

or just another monkey?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

List what we've done well in the last 12 months?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Caroline Wilson is not a football writer. She is a gossip columnist masquerading as a football writer.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
seano1
Club Player

Why doesnt she do a piece on all the clubs being ripped off by the management of ETIHAD stadium...thats where some of our cash went

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:List what we've done well in the last 12 months?
Despite the constant moaning we have been able to recruit several players that have actually wanted to come to us as their first choice.

We saw off several of our old boys in a game that many rate of one of their cherished football memories.

We have overhauled our media department and are using online content better than most.

We have uncovered a star in Jack Steven.

We were able to dismiss a coach with little scrutiny from the media through savvy handling and precise leaks.

We changed to a president with an ambitious drive for the future.

We have internal conflict because we have strong personalities climbing over each other to launch us into the future from a position a long way back.

We were able to stay competitive with most teams despite playing a very young list.

We successfully broke into the Anzac day fixture and created a niche marketing opportunity in NZ.

I could go on and on but what have we done that is worse than Collingwood who are not that much better off in the things she claims but the finances are better.

Richmond aren't very confident next year and are using Chocco as a get out clause if they drop off. North screwed up a dream draw and missed finals despite having a great list- Scott didn't cop anywhere near the pressure he deserved.

Geelong have unceremoniously dumped a heap of their legends and will probably drop away a bit. Sydney went nuts and signed a crazy deal with Franklin who was on Bolivian marching powder and booze at the races while sleazing onto models if the rumours are true.

GWS went backwards from last year and lost a heap of their players. Brisbane enough said. Carlton have just paid a fortune for a guy with a missing ankle joint. Essendon will be banned from playing, Bulldogs won a few games at the end but are still having a development period.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote:Why doesnt she do a piece on all the clubs being ripped off by the management of ETIHAD stadium...thats where some of our cash went
fraud???

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Schillaci
Club Player

gringo wrote:
BigMart wrote:List what we've done well in the last 12 months?
Despite the constant moaning we have been able to recruit several players that have actually wanted to come to us as their first choice.

We saw off several of our old boys in a game that many rate of one of their cherished football memories.

We have overhauled our media department and are using online content better than most.

We have uncovered a star in Jack Steven.

We were able to dismiss a coach with little scrutiny from the media through savvy handling and precise leaks.

We changed to a president with an ambitious drive for the future.

We have internal conflict because we have strong personalities climbing over each other to launch us into the future from a position a long way back.

We were able to stay competitive with most teams despite playing a very young list.

We successfully broke into the Anzac day fixture and created a niche marketing opportunity in NZ.

I could go on and on but what have we done that is worse than Collingwood who are not that much better off in the things she claims but the finances are better.

Richmond aren't very confident next year and are using Chocco as a get out clause if they drop off. North screwed up a dream draw and missed finals despite having a great list- Scott didn't cop anywhere near the pressure he deserved.

Geelong have unceremoniously dumped a heap of their legends and will probably drop away a bit. Sydney went nuts and signed a crazy deal with Franklin who was on Bolivian marching powder and booze at the races while sleazing onto models if the rumours are true.

GWS went backwards from last year and lost a heap of their players. Brisbane enough said. Carlton have just paid a fortune for a guy with a missing ankle joint. Essendon will be banned from playing, Bulldogs won a few games at the end but are still having a development period.
That's all true but the Saints are in crisis. :wink:

saints1960

Perception is reality in football just like Politics!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: Hi Dragstar, I'm very much with misky.

It matters very much because of the emotional attachment... this is footy, and footy was founded on, footy has grown on, and footy literally can only breathe... emotion. :idea:

It may sound contradictory, but I'd argue that 'emotion' is therefore a very pragmatic reason why we must work our way back to Moorabbin.

However, as you are clearly also a sensible and pragmatic person, I'll also offer some physical, substantive and measurable pragmatism.

Hillbilly Ho-Down as recently as the early 2000's was a suburban ground where one could stand in the outer, in mud. At that time they had recently had their coach (Ayres - a good reason to never, ever touch him) and new captain (forgotten his name, went to the then reigning premiers just in time for their Carey-inspired implosion :lol: ) walk out after a $6+mill debt was revealed.

Now... the ground looks amazing (with more to come), they make $800K profit from a home game there..., and as a sweetener... they very rarely loose a game there. :idea:

So IMHO, that's why we need to (eventually) return to Moorabbin
... emotion,
$$$...,
and that thing the interstate pretend clubs have that the real/traditional clubs don't have... a significant home ground advantage.
Sorry Dave, I think you've gone off on a massive tangent here…

Are you talking about building a boutique stadium big enough to host AFL games? I don't think that's going to happen, and even if we did, I wouldn't be picking Moorabbin as the location… What emotional attachment would there be in a brand new stadium plonked on the old site?

I think the main sector that are keen to see us back at Moorabbin, are those that live in the vicinity… and I can understand why they would love to be able stroll down to training etc

I'm sure people were very 'emotional' when we left the Junction Oval too - our genuine homeland - St Kilda.

Emotion isn't enough, what is about Moorabbin that is enough to want to re-locate there?

I won't vouch for Seaford btw… probably a hole too, but we've just built a $10 mil training facility there and as far as I am aware we are not missing out on any recruits because of our training location. The players who would be annoyed are those with houses bought before the Seaford move, any new recruits I am sure would choose to live closer.

By all means move the club down the track if it will benefit our cause, but not because some old codgers can get emotional about memories of watching us lose games in a mud bath… or to please those that used to be able to go to training more often.