Surely not the next best coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Surely not the next best coach

Has a track record of success including a premiership and can work with Pelchin. Also a good fosterer of young talent. Tell me who is available and better.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't mind someone who is a little crazy. Lose the corporate speak.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:I wouldn't mind someone who is a little crazy. Lose the corporate speak.
Exactly.

Was GT's best attribute.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kalsaint
Club Player

St Chris wrote:His proven ability to work with Pelchin - we've had 2 coaches depart amid strong rumours of "disharmony in the footy department". The board have seemingly given Pelchin full control, no point having a senior coach continually butting heads with him.

Also, Choco's ability to give a spray is up there with the best of them, I reckon a few of the boys could have used a really decent spray over the last couple of years.
Interesting comment. I thought Chocko, not Pelchen was the one with the last say at Port so the reversal may not be to his liking.

I still rate Worsfold as a possibility. Done the job through good and bad seasons, experienced and youthful teams, proven to work well within the club's organisation needs.
The "break" in the USA may be just what he needed to refill his coaching passion. Put Harvey in as a senior coaching assistant with a view to promotion within 2 years and this might work.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Forget Worsfold ... He's got some personal issues to deal with and footy wyld be a very distant thought to him ...

As I mentioned in another thread if you look at the hype around the Dee's signing Roos as some sort of master stroke get of the century deal put his record next to Choco's ...

Both as players won B&fs and captained their teams
Both coached teams to a flag
Both coached teams to a losing flag
Choco did this with a team strapped for cash Roos did it with an extra $1m in the SC ...
If you ask me Choco is better suited to a team like ours where he has to improvise as such with the funds and cattle he has to work with ... Roos has pretty much always have it on a silver plate ...

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Forget Worsfold ... He's got some personal issues to deal with and footy wyld be a very distant thought to him ...

As I mentioned in another thread if you look at the hype around the Dee's signing Roos as some sort of master stroke get of the century deal put his record next to Choco's ...

Choco did this with a team strapped for cash Roos did it with an extra $1m in the SC ...
If you ask me Choco is better suited to a team like ours where he has to improvise as such with the funds and cattle he has to work with ... Roos has pretty much always have it on a silver plate ...
Top post Trav....

AccidentallyTim
Club Player

jamesmc wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
jonesy wrote:Passion

Something our club has been deprived of the last few years,which was once our trademark.

Do you think choco will cop being fisted up the a$$ by umpires? I look forward to those press conferences
Yes I agree with that, at least we will know that if we get bent over by the umps like we did against west toast then he will certainly stand up for the club something that's been lacking
How many clubs can you have a passion about.
Well James, as it's a professional sport we're talking about and coaches earn somewhere in the $400k and above range. The next head coach will give 100% of their energy and passion into three main areas I believe.

In no particular order:
Their role - ego driven beasts won't give a mm to failure.
Their players - Choco has a history of forming very strong bonds with his charge.
Their club - They steer the ship (with the pelican as done before).

Let them finish the interviews, but my point is it's irrelevant who is the he coach as those who have been spoken about are all professionals in their field and with that comes dedication, passion and hunger.

I may be wrong, it's an opinion business after all :)

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Big gap between what you want and what you end up getting.

I would have thought we can't be too choosey given:

A. Our financial position

B. Timing

C. The club's standing and track record when it comes to coaches.

Anyone care to guess what year Choco will get the chop? Will he last until 2018?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
PJ
SS Life Member

If you're going to make a statement like "surely not the next best coach" then surely you must be an expert on the matter. Please regale the forum of your insight and list of replacements in preference with attributes.

....or surely you are kidding

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If money has any influence on the decision.... Really

The decision was made to sack SW thus flushing 400k down the toilet, in what was already a write off of a season regardless If Norm Smith was coach

Then to get in a lesser candidate to save money would be a laugh

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Williams also worked in some of the tightest financial restrains of any premiership team ever. They had to go begging to their main man and beg for every dollar spent. It can't be under estimated what he worked with in.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I can"t see why we would go Kingsley over Harves !

PADDLEPOP1000
spert
Saintsational Legend

Who is "the best coach"? What makes the best coach? Who is the best coach in the system at the moment? Should we hire the best coach?
If reaching the pinnacle of AFL success multiple times is the sign of the best coach(which it should be)then Malthouse's is the clear leader, so Carlton have the best coach. Longmire is already taken, as is Roos, and that leaves Wiiliams as the most successful ex coach still active in the system at the highest level, so he would be the logical choice, but if not available, then all the assistant or unsuccessful ex coaches are the next off the rank. All that lot are unproven or have not quite gotten there in past efforts. If not Williams, then I would prefer someone with previous senior coaching experience over an assistant right now as the best for our club.

Junior
Club Player

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:I can"t see why we would go Kingsley over Harves !
Because Harvey met with the selection panel and apparently said he was not ready.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:Forget Worsfold ... He's got some personal issues to deal with and footy wyld be a very distant thought to him ...

Yes, I actually thought that Worsfold didn't look well at times this year. I hope that is incorrect.

I think that the Pelchen situation has been overplayed. The difference with Williams being that he knows exactly what that is all about, whereas people that have not worked with him before might be concerned.

I don't have a problem with Kingsley btw. He might be just the ticket.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

interesting article in today's paper, Williams wants $600K+ TO do the job BUT Kingsley is firming as a front runner..

Money may well seal the deal, especially because we don't have any left in the cap they took to the AFL. :shock:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:As I mentioned in another thread if you look at the hype around the Dee's signing Roos as some sort of master stroke get of the century deal put his record next to Choco's ...

I'm pumped now.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:interesting article in today's paper, Williams wants $600K+ TO do the job BUT Kingsley is firming as a front runner..

Money may well seal the deal, especially because we don't have any left in the cap they took to the AFL. :shock:
I reckon if we can't afford Choco, Pelchen may have to do the job himself

Number 5

Why aren't we talking to Worsforld? Surely he's the best available coach!

oldie60
Club Player

I know AFL is now a business but something that Choco brings is the tradition mindset. We must remember he was brought up in one of the most famous footballing families in Sth Australia that just oozed tradition and i believe as difficult as it maybe to put in place i'm reasonably confident that Choco has the footballing brain to bring back some of the in your face attitude which has been lacking of recent times. We only seem to have this when we are doing well we need it everytime our players set foot on the park. We need to earn back the respect of the competition and media by showing a hardness and grit which Choco is well versed with.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

oldie60 wrote:I know AFL is now a business but something that Choco brings is the tradition mindset. We must remember he was brought up in one of the most famous footballing families in Sth Australia that just oozed tradition and i believe as difficult as it maybe to put in place i'm reasonably confident that Choco has the footballing brain to bring back some of the in your face attitude which has been lacking of recent times. We only seem to have this when we are doing well we need it everytime our players set foot on the park. We need to earn back the respect of the competition and media by showing a hardness and grit which Choco is well versed with.
Well said. I hope we can afford him or at least knock his price down to something we can afford.

Perhaps the AFL can chip in ... like they've done with Melbourne/Roos.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Kingsley....

Also untried, and I think we need a proven in our situation? We can't gamble again....

Has there been many situations where a low profile coach has succeeded from coming from within th organisation ...... Knights, Brittian were mistakes?
Longmire I think was transitioned well?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
BigMart wrote:270 odd games as coach 150 odd wins

2 grand Finals

1 premiership

Not terrible

When was his last official game as coach? They say the game evolves monthly, let alone the years since he last coached. I'm saying OLD SCHOOL.
he was coaching gws last year...sheedy certainly wasn't.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kimberly saint
Club Player

So is there a chance we may miss out on the man we want williams because we cant afford him , is 600k normal wage for coach ?. Be bit sad if we had to take 2nd or third in line because of money

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Number 5 wrote:Why aren't we talking to Worsforld? Surely he's the best available coach!
Worsfold decided he didn't want to coach next year, if he wasn't prepared to take on the eagles I would be worried how long it would be before he lost interest in us

I love this club