Shortlist of 2 for new coach by Wednesday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

Re: Shortlist of 2 for new coach by Wednesday

Spinner wrote:I'm happy with Williams.

But it does sound like a sham process in the making.

So many not approached. I'm a process man, you follow the process and access on a considered basis.

I agree that we need to follow the process (whatever this includes).

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:So we "settle" on mark?
I reckon we identified him as ideal, aggressively courted and cleared the decks for him.
So what's the delay then?
Terms

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

I'd be over the moon if/when Williams is confirmed...

A real footy brain, who has done it before, and will immediately command respect from both the veterans and the kids...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:

So many not approached. I'm a process man, you follow the process and access on a considered basis.

I think the process is severely hampered in this case due to the timing…

If you are looking for a new coach in August there is a decent pool of contenders, by mid November I am just about in the mix.

But we should follow the process with whoever is available… though it does sound like we have been looking to Williams for quite some time.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Maybe we get Williams to build the players up for 3 years and then in comes Banger to coach us to the finals and a flag. :)

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Maybe we get Williams to build the players up for 3 years and then in comes Banger to coach us to the finals and a flag.
I'll buy that :D :D

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Cmon just announce Choco, my $100 is waiting to grow

Before Im 85
oldie60
Club Player

I'm ok with Williams coaching just have a problem with the word process which is something that Mr Summers kept referring to in his press conference. It appears the process was a thing in business that we adhere to that sounds all nice and furry but at the end of the day we'll decide whether to adhere to it or not.We'll use process when and if it suits us.Why have i read through the media that we have chosen not to approach at least 4 guys, is the media choosing to say that or are the selection panel legit.Can we just cut to the chase and be honest one way or another as our credibility has been shot to pieces in recent times and setting up a coaching selection panel makes it look all official but we don't interview all worthy available suitors.Turn It Up.

spert
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
spert wrote:Williams is a premiership coach, so whatever he did, worked- be it dogmatic or not. I would like another premiership at our club, so let's hire a coach who has been there.
So why has nobody given him a senior gig since?
He's been waiting for the planets to align over Seaford

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
kalsaint wrote:

If you are looking for a new coach in August there is a decent pool of contenders, by mid November I am just about in the mix.

But we should follow the process with whoever is available… though it does sound like we have been looking to Williams for quite some time.
So why are we all so impressed with Summers?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
dragit wrote:
kalsaint wrote:

So why are we all so impressed with Summers?

All? Seems ok but surely nearly all of us need to give him time one way or the other.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

magnifisaint wrote: Terms
the exact number of Armourguard trucks to be involved for coach
and the supplier of prozac & "e's" for senior players

Seeya
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:So why are we all so impressed with Summers?
I'm not sure how many are really impressed… he seems okay so far, it's only been a few weeks.

He sounds strong & determined, it's a good start.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Sobraz wrote:I'd be over the moon if/when Williams is confirmed...

A real footy brain, who has done it before, and will immediately command respect from both the veterans and the kids...
For me his coaching career is chequered at best,
many would argue that as foundation coach of a new born interstate club, a premiership was always going to happen,
and then the extremely quick turn around into a record breaking GF defeat against geelong
A footy brain that commanded respect - Watters had that (my belief & expectations - so no point arguing the point)
So the question no one seems to be asking (given the shape of our list) is why GWS with a young side & a dearth of quality kids on board - why did they not want him?

Seeya
GRAMophone
Club Player

oldie60 wrote:I'm ok with Williams coaching just have a problem with the word process which is something that Mr Summers kept referring to in his press conference. It appears the process was a thing in business that we adhere to that sounds all nice and furry but at the end of the day we'll decide whether to adhere to it or not.We'll use process when and if it suits us.Why have i read through the media that we have chosen not to approach at least 4 guys, is the media choosing to say that or are the selection panel legit.Can we just cut to the chase and be honest one way or another as our credibility has been shot to pieces in recent times and setting up a coaching selection panel makes it look all official but we don't interview all worthy available suitors.Turn It Up.
For mine our credibility would be further 'shot to pieces' if we weren't seen to use a process. You can follow a process but still have a preferred candidate. As long as the preferred candidate is known to the majority of the selection panel it's very unlikely that they will be displaced.

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Sobraz wrote:I'd be over the moon if/when Williams is confirmed...

For me his coaching career is chequered at best,
many would argue that as foundation coach of a new born interstate club, a premiership was always going to happen,
and then the extremely quick turn around into a record breaking GF defeat against geelong
A footy brain that commanded respect - Watters had that (my belief & expectations - so no point arguing the point)
So the question no one seems to be asking (given the shape of our list) is why GWS with a young side & a dearth of quality kids on board - why did they not want him?
Pretty sure they did but Sheedy wanted to do an extra year and GWS decided to keep him for that extra year so Williams said see you later.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote: For me his coaching career is chequered at best,
He bailed on GWS, as without much likelyhood for improvement in year 2, it was better marketing, strategy wise to give Sheedy another go in the hot seat, as the face, although it seemed Williams was the real coach.. He left to Richmond, GWS didn't cut him..

Furthermore, he wasn't the Port Power foundation coach... John Cahill was, Williams took over after 2 seasons... 274 matches at over 55% is a fantastic record... Without the draft concessions and financial security the current newbies have...