saints watch boyd march....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saints watch boyd march....

headline is from thestory in today' :cry: s hun highlighting the afl's generosity to gws.......concessions granted to them allowed them to auction off the hottest two 17 year olds in the country last year.....allowing it to stockpile even more prized picks... they also had 8 of the top 9 in the last three drafts

...anyway the article states that recruiters are certain that jack martin would have been the no 1 this year with jesse hogan no 2 and boyd no 3.....

make you wanna cry.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: saints watch boyd march....

For those who don't know (like me) who are Martin and Hogan?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:For those who don't know (like me) who are Martin and Hogan?
two outstanding 17 year olds last year that were taken early.....hogan by melbourne....martin by gold coast...weren't allowed to play last year...but would have been the top two picks in the draft this year...leaving boyd for us...

..don't worry...by the end of next year they will be houehold names....

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If Melbourne don't significantly improve next year with the like of Toumpas, Viney and Hogan I, for one, will be very surprised. That's why I am glad we've ot them round one at Etihad. Might be the last time we beat them for a while.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

That's bulls***. So pretty much another priority pick? And Melbourne wanted ANOTHER one this draft.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

In that case GWS would have the 1st two picks, Melb wouldn't have traded their 1st pick and we probably would have ended up with Kelly.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:In that case GWS would have the 1st two picks, Melb wouldn't have traded their 1st pick and we probably would have ended up with Kelly.
no...gws...melbourne then us....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dean Martin and paul Hogan.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Do we know Hogan is a Better KPP player than Boyd?? Without any doubt??

Anything could gave happened if the other two had been in this draft

Oh and Jack Billings says Hi lol

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Do we know Hogan is a Better KPP player than Boyd?? Without any doubt??

according to the article which you should read....the writer reckons all the recruiters rate hogan ahead of boyd..he is a star centre half forward...can therefore play further up the ground than boyd and also fullforward....the two top 17 year olds were martin...by far the better...then hogan....boyd didn't rate...so yeah...guess i would agree with the article......boyd should have been our player...or hogan.or martin......which ever one was left at pick three......not billings....

ace
Saintsational Legend

Yes we only had pick No5 at a result of coming 3rd bottom.
By the same measure Nathan Wright was pick 26 and Spencer White pick 27, Brodie Murdoch 43, Josh Saunders 43, Lewis Pierce 68

Sebation Ross was realy 37, Daniel Markworth 48, Jack Newnes 50, Jimmy Webster 55, Beau Wilkes 79

Gee thanks for nothing Demetriou your generosity overwhelms me.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Yes we only had pick No5 at a result of coming 3rd bottom.
By the same measure Nathan Wright was pick 26 and Spencer White pick 27, Brodie Murdoch 43, Josh Saunders 43, Lewis Pierce 68

Sebation Ross was realy 37, Daniel Markworth 48, Jack Newnes 50, Jimmy Webster 55, Beau Wilkes 79

Gee thanks for nothing Demetriou your generosity overwhelms me.

dimmiespew the person has always underwhelmed me... :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

it pains me but unless gws completely self sabotage or are struck down by a plague they will dominate the comp for 3 years.
melbourne and gc will also be hard to beat.
nightmare.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:it pains me but unless gws completely self sabotage or are struck down by a plague they will dominate the comp for 3 years.
melbourne and gc will also be hard to beat.
nightmare.

gws has had 8 of the top 9 draft picks in the past three years...we got the other pick.....billings...so yep...the afl have been far to generous ..but the other clubs let them get away with it....

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:In that case GWS would have the 1st two picks, Melb wouldn't have traded their 1st pick and we probably would have ended up with Kelly.
no...gws...melbourne then us....
you're right

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:
saint66au wrote:Do we know Hogan is a Better KPP player than Boyd?? Without any doubt??

according to the article which you should read....the writer reckons all the recruiters rate hogan ahead of boyd..he is a star centre half forward...can therefore play further up the ground than boyd and also fullforward....the two top 17 year olds were martin...by far the better...then hogan....boyd didn't rate...so yeah...guess i would agree with the article......boyd should have been our player...or hogan.or martin......which ever one was left at pick three......not billings....
All due respect but I should clarify some stuff with you, Boyd wasn't eligible for the 17 year old draft. To be eligible for that draft, you must have been born between January and April, Boyd was born on 22 August, nor was Billings but I doubt he would've been in consideration. To keep it in perspective though, Kelly, being born on 12 Feb, was eligible and very much in the mix for selection for the second and final mini draft spot. So Kelly was up against Hogan and nearly won the selection, with a number of clubs including Geelong after his services. We all know now that Kelly was a very distant second to Boyd in this years draft.

So what does this all mean, well, we will never know - would Hogan be higher than Boyd? Maybe, maybe not. Boyd actually played ruck until he was 15 or so, so to argue he is a stay at home fwd and Hogan can run up the ground more may not be entirely accurate either.

So its nothing to do with not being rated for that draft, its that he couldn't be picked for it.

Martin is one hell of a talent, who had a better comparable year than O'Meara in his 'u18' NEAFL year. Hogan won the Dees B&F in their twos, which is massive for a 17 year old, then again, it was the Dees seconds who he was playing with. To water down his efforts somewhat, first year players Terlich and Jones who were solid but far from outstanding came third and fourth in their senior B&F!

I think both Hogan and Boyd will be stars in their own right, and would've loved one of them, but it wasn't to be so let's just be happy with our 'best available' pick, who many still say could be the best of the lot if he develops a midfield tank. Next year, when there are no draft concessions, we may well have pick one and get next years Hogan/Boyd, ie, Wright, McCartin, Lever or Goddard - ironic that we've seen three of those names on our list already in the past 3 years but thats another story!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
stinger wrote:

All due respect but I should clarify some stuff with you, Boyd wasn't eligible for the 17 year old draft. To be eligible for that draft, you must have been born between January and April, Boyd was born on 22 August, nor was Billings but I doubt he would've been in consideration. To keep it in perspective though, Kelly, being born on 12 Feb, was eligible and very much in the mix for selection for the second and final mini draft spot. So Kelly was up against Hogan and nearly won the selection, with a number of clubs including Geelong after his services. We all know now that Kelly was a very distant second to Boyd in this years draft.

So what does this all mean, well, we will never know - would Hogan be higher than Boyd? Maybe, maybe not. Boyd actually played ruck until he was 15 or so, so to argue he is a stay at home fwd and Hogan can run up the ground more may not be entirely accurate either.

So its nothing to do with not being rated for that draft, its that he couldn't be picked for it.

Martin is one hell of a talent, who had a better comparable year than O'Meara in his 'u18' NEAFL year. Hogan won the Dees B&F in their twos, which is massive for a 17 year old, then again, it was the Dees seconds who he was playing with. To water down his efforts somewhat, first year players Terlich and Jones who were solid but far from outstanding came third and fourth in their senior B&F!

I think both Hogan and Boyd will be stars in their own right, and would've loved one of them, but it wasn't to be so let's just be happy with our 'best available' pick, who many still say could be the best of the lot if he develops a midfield tank. Next year, when there are no draft concessions, we may well have pick one and get next years Hogan/Boyd, ie, Wright, McCartin, Lever or Goddard - ironic that we've seen three of those names on our list already in the past 3 years but thats another story!
thanks for the info re boyd.....much apreciated...

....the writer was pointing out that the saints who finished third were dudded as it was a compromised draft with the two best players already gone....i think she was right...martin is clearly rated the best...you can toss up between boyd and hogan if you like, but one of them should have/would have come to us if the afl wasn't so generous to gws....'nuff said.....

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Hogan is a gun.

I was thinking this too. The draft was compromised. Could have ended up with one of those three.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What is dont know is how Hogan and Martin would've developed had they not been allowed to be pre listed as 17 yr olds.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Dean Martin and paul Hogan.
+1

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:
St Ick wrote:
stinger wrote:according to the article which you should read....the writer reckons all the recruiters rate hogan ahead of boyd..he is a star centre half forward...can therefore play further up the ground than boyd and also fullforward....the two top 17 year olds were martin...by far the better...then hogan....boyd didn't rate...so yeah...guess i would agree with the article......boyd should have been our player...or hogan.or martin......which ever one was left at pick three......not billings....

thanks for the info re boyd.....much apreciated...

....the writer was pointing out that the saints who finished third were dudded as it was a compromised draft with the two best players already gone....i think she was right...martin is clearly rated the best...you can toss up between boyd and hogan if you like, but one of them should have/would have come to us if the afl wasn't so generous to gws....'nuff said.....
No arguments there! Either of Hogan or Boyd would've been handy, but what's done is done. We've done brilliantly with what we had in front of us :)

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:What is dont know is how Hogan and Martin would've developed had they not been allowed to be pre listed as 17 yr olds.
hogan won best and fairest this year...don't know about martin...but both are guns....

lefty
Club Player

Don't worry, GWS will suffer with the go home factor.

I'd suggest that Patton will leave next year, can't have 3 power forwards.

suss
Club Player

lefty wrote:Don't worry, GWS will suffer with the go home factor.

I'd suggest that Patton will leave next year, can't have 3 power forwards.
Unfortunately they will keep getting high draft picks in return for losing these players until they start to lose uncontracted players or free agents, which will be a while off. A shame really ... I really want them to fail.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/2 ... 2xy4t.html

"the top-end of the AFL national draft will be among the most talented in history, AFL draft expert Kevin Sheehan says.

Sheehan, the AFL's national and international development manager, expects the bulk of the top 10 picks at Thursday night's draft on the Gold Coast to become long-term success stories.

"The clubs can't lose in that top 10, I reckon it could end up one of the best top 10s of all time," Sheehan told reporters.

"That is on their potential.
Advertisement

"If we threw in Jack Martin and Jesse Hogan, the two other 17-year-olds who were taken a year ago under our rules, this would be the best top 10 of all time.

"I'm very bullish about the outcomes for this particular group."

Hogan has been secured by Melbourne, with Martin to play for Gold Coast - both take as under-aged selections 12 months ago outside the main draft."

....billings will be okay too...