Saints in Milne legal funds row

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints in Milne legal funds row

Joffa

1) Milne has every right to defend himself.
2) His mates have the right to go to their kick and help him fund said defence.
3)I find it ridiculous that they would expect sponsors to weigh in (not exactly a cause that will endear their company to the public)
4)I am annoyed that players did not have the judgement to see how poorly a fund raiser such as this would reflect on the club.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Just poor judgement from players....again.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Not very bright these footballers, huh?

Surprised the club didn't shut it down straight away, just not a great look.

Having said that, not a huge story, but one that's been spun and whipped up to perfection by Caro.

She's very good at what she does, and we're the off-season gift that keeps giving.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

They had another version of the article entitled players leave Milne out to dry on funding his defence but the coterie member helped reedit the story more negatively.

saintbeth
Club Player

This stuff is not just on the front page but in the Age editorial as well. Part of this states 'But attempts by some St Kilda players to raise funds for retired player, Stephen Milne's defence........raise serious ethical questions. While the presumption of innocence must apply, the players are abusing their position by soliciting financial support for their former colleague...............The club SHOULD IMMEDIATELY STOP all fund raising efforts for Milne...........and reprimand the players involved. Football fundraisers should be reserved for ...........or helping a team mate who is enduring personal illness or tragedy. Hardship, as far as we can determine, should not include funding a legal defence against serious criminal charges.'

Yes, this makes me very very upset or actually rather cross. I am very worried for the future of our club due to financial reasons. I have an awful feeling that this will have a really really bad effect on sponsorship dollars (or lack there of). So no I am sorry, but I will not save my anger for something else. I say again, I have no problems with the players trying to help a mate, but I think this was a bad bad way to go about that. One that I fear will have major ramifications against the SKFC, and that upsets me greatly. :cry:

Saintbeth
saintbeth
Club Player

ps I desperately hope that I am wrong and nothing happens as a result of this.

Saintbeth
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Surely we have a PR department that should vet things like this?
Not prepared to accept the excuse that players did it off their own bat without consulting the club.
Serious questions need to be asked of our "leadership group", surely one amongst them would have questioned the PR implications.

southernsaint
Club Player

Over reaction. Dont have a problem with what the players have done. He is innocent until proven guilty. Stuff what others think, mates helping a mate. Good on you boys

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

southernsaint wrote:Over reaction. Dont have a problem with what the players have done. He is innocent until proven guilty. Stuff what others think, mates helping a mate. Good on you boys

No worries then.
I'll just ring my local catholic bishop and suggest he puts out another collection plate for the legal defence of the "alleged paedophile priests"
Might help church attendance too! :oops:

ace
Saintsational Legend

The Victorian Centres Against Sexual Assaults is upset that when someone cries rape, the guy is not convicted automatically.
They have the benefit of the police conducting an investigation and director of public prosecutions conducting the prosecution, all at tax payers expense, but then they object when a group of friends of the guy try to rally financial support for the defence.
If they can't convict an innocent man they believe they are entitled to cost him hundreds of thousands and destroy his name for life, just to be found innocent.
After all he deserves it, he is a man.
All men are potential rapists.
Such is the zealotry of this witches coven.
Last edited by ace on Sun 01 Dec 2013 1:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
southernsaint
Club Player

Totally different situation. The church tried to prevent justice taking place. The boys are fundraising to help milney have the best defense possible which is his natural right

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

southernsaint wrote:Totally different situation. The church tried to prevent justice taking place. The boys are fundraising to help milney have the best defense possible which is his natural right
As I stated earlier they are perfectly entitled to do so FROM THEIR OWN POCKETS
Tin rattling to sponsors and supporters should be the sole domain of the CLUB, not individuals employed within it.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Absolute nothing story. Next!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ace
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Surely we have a PR department that should vet things like this?
Not prepared to accept the excuse that players did it off their own bat without consulting the club.
Serious questions need to be asked of our "leadership group", surely one amongst them would have questioned the PR implications.
The players are a team.
The PR department are just waste water.
When the PR department tried to have the club ban Milne from ever playing again, the team stood strong together.
The team is still standing strong against the leftist political correctness of this coterie #$&%.
Coterie #$&% you will be welcome at Collingwood.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

All opposition fans hate Milne. All the umpires hated milne. The commentators hate Milne.

Does anything thing the judge will like Milne?

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:All opposition fans hate Milne. All the umpires hated milne. The commentators hate Milne.

Does anything thing the judge will like Milne?
Poor misunderstood soul, I feel shattered for him.
Was going to send a few dollars to the Asian cyclone fund (you've shown me the error of my ways).
Quick get me the bank details for this great cause instead.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:5% of the top paid players' salaries should more than cover the legal bill.
Where do they get this sense of entitlement?
And the rest, what do you think a lawyer such as Philip Dunn QC costs. After the completion of this trial Milne will have paid at least 200% of his annual salary as a player. 5% is naive, fantasy world stuff.

|Andy|
Club Player

I have no problems with the players trying to raise funds for Milne to cover his bills but as has already been iterated numerous times on this post, the fact the players used the club's contacts and the club's sponsors to get money for it is a very unprofessional thing to do. You should never use the fact you have a position in a business like the football club for your own benefit (or any individuals'), and this is essentially what the players have done by using St Kilda's contacts. Very annoyed at this.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It's no business of anyone's least of all The Age where Milne gets his money from. It has no bearing on the outcome of the case so why bother reporting it?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

thejiggingsaint wrote:fair comment from saintbeth (IMHO) I'm not sure just how I would react if I was approached to help fund the Milne legal defence. Even allowing for the presumption of innocence, I'd be reluctant to contribute. This has nothing to do with the Footy club, really it hasn't, although there are many who WANT it to be so. The responsibility for the position Milne finds himself in, has to be (for a large part) with Milne. The alleged offence occurred at the home of a footballer, and the accused is a footballer. The link with St Kilda is just THAT! To go to the club sponsors/members/ coteries for assistance is a bad move (IMHO)
If Milne is found innocent (and I think he will be, but that's my opinion), it would mean he has been the victim of a false complaint. How on earth would he be responsible for that???

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Boys club...

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

ace wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:Surely we have a PR department that should vet things like this?
The players are a team.
The PR department are just waste water.
When the PR department tried to have the club ban Milne from ever playing again, the team stood strong together.
The team is still standing strong against the leftist political correctness of this coterie #$&%.
Coterie #$&% you will be welcome at Collingwood.
Well said.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:5% of the top paid players' salaries should more than cover the legal bill.
And the rest, what do you think a lawyer such as Philip Dunn QC costs. After the completion of this trial Milne will have paid at least 200% of his annual salary as a player. 5% is naive, fantasy world stuff.
Wasn't talking about his alone.
Was talking about 5% of all his higher paid teammates.
i.e total salary cap nearly $10m
My guess players on over $200k would account for more than 2/3 of that.
Therefore 5% of $7mill=$350k

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

|Andy| wrote:I have no problems with the players trying to raise funds for Milne to cover his bills but as has already been iterated numerous times on this post, the fact the players used the club's contacts and the club's sponsors to get money for it is a very unprofessional thing to do. You should never use the fact you have a position in a business like the football club for your own benefit (or any individuals'), and this is essentially what the players have done by using St Kilda's contacts. Very annoyed at this.
Hooray,
somebody gets it!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Maybe some players have already chipped in or maybe not. Nothing new in this. For years players on good wages tried to get footy trips paid for by have fund raising until clubs realised how poor that looked. Nearly every person wants a free lunch no matter what you earn and usually the more you earn the more free stuff you get. Good luck to them but im unsure this is a good move. Its a silly story but again it would exist if one of our supporters didnt contact someone. its like all the stuff Caro and Finey have gone with. Its coming from the club or in this case a supporter.
Once again we blame the media. We blame the leaker.
But the answer is simple. Dont do dumb stuff.
The fact is we have a small group of sr players who are below average intelligence below average blokes and have lost their moral compass.
If you dont do dumb s*** the media wont report on you. Simple.