Saints in Milne legal funds row

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Re: Saints in Milne legal funds row

whiskers3614 wrote:Surely we have a PR department that should vet things like this?
Not prepared to accept the excuse that players did it off their own bat without consulting the club.
Serious questions need to be asked of our "leadership group", surely one amongst them would have questioned the PR implications.
You have demonstrated in a number of your comments in this thread, that you have no regard for the presumption of innocence, no interest in the concept of a fair trial and indulge in a 'mob rule' mentality. If you are ever sellected for jury duty, please decline. In the meantime please get off your hysterical high horse.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:
southernsaint wrote:Over reaction. Dont have a problem with what the players have done. He is innocent until proven guilty. Stuff what others think, mates helping a mate. Good on you boys

No worries then.
I'll just ring my local catholic bishop and suggest he puts out another collection plate for the legal defence of the "alleged paedophile priests"
Might help church attendance too! :oops:
....and you have decided that Milne is guilty, haven't you? All men are bastards and people never lie.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Boys club...
Correct. How many females on the list? Blokes trying to look after a close mate. Some people need to get off their high horses.

8856brother wrote:
Correct. How many females on the list? Blokes trying to look after a close mate. Some people need to get off their high horses.
Some fans nes to stop defending them everytime they take a big swig of their own bath water...

Boys club refers to a mindset that evidently exists, and that should any attempt to address it, watch your back.

We need a new CEO to pull in the reigns ASAP, preferably not an ex player this time.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Just spoke to Andrew about this very issue.
He said that starting with the next national draft each club would be required to take at least two women and build up the their list over the next ten years to contain a minimum of 11 women.
Minimum of 2, 3, 4, 5, etc as the years progress.
Clubs would also be required to wear unisex outfits - the jumpers would be made longer so they reached down to the knees like a dress.
Apparently Julia Gillard will be going to the Western Bulldogs as a priority pick.
Last edited by ace on Sun 01 Dec 2013 2:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

This situation/story has TWO very different angles to it;

1, Should the players be lobbying fans/sponsors to assist with Milney's legal costs? This is the real difficult question as it will always polarise opinion (I still don't know how I feel about it)

2. Is it right that an (as yet) un-named member of one of the club's coterie groups (Halos) runs off to the media with this story instead of confronting the club about it? I cannot see why anyone who claims to support the club would do this

Please folks, don't confuse the TWO issues with emotion !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

ace wrote:The Victorian Centres Against Sexual Assaults is upset that when someone cries rape, the guy is not convicted automatically.
They have the benefit of the police conducting an investigation and director of public prosecutions conducting the prosecution, all at tax payers expense, but then they object when a group of friends of the guy try to rally financial support for the defence.
If they can't convict an innocent man they believe they are entitled to cost him hundreds of thousands and destroy his name for life, just to be found innocent.
After all he deserves it, he is a man.
All men are potential rapists.
Such is the zealotry of this witches coven.
I concur entirely.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

southernsaint wrote:Over reaction. Dont have a problem with what the players have done. He is innocent until proven guilty. Stuff what others think, mates helping a mate. Good on you boys

Then go ahead and help him - BUT don't involve OUR club. These players have the brains of peas.

I understand their concern, I share it - but the absolute hide of players to expect people outside their little bubble to fund a legal defence for something that has NOTHING to do with the saints is mind boggling. Not to mention the sensitivity of the matter which some of them appear completely immune to.

Milne played footy for what? 12 years? Fair to say that conservatively he would have earnt 2.5-3million dollars in that time. Probably the amount the average Joe earns in his whole life. I sympathise to a degree with Milney, but let's face it, he brought this whole thing on himself to a degree. I know Milney's not asking anyone for anything, but I thought he would demand from his mates to just leave it.

Roo would be a millionaire 10 times over (minimum) Joey, Lenny, BJ, Kosi were all handsomely rewarded for playing for the saints. Between them they could all chip in 1/2 mill if they really felt so inclined.

It reminds me of the old days when the players asked sponsors to fund their footy trip, or raised money for their footy trip. Just mind boggling.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
8856brother wrote:
Some fans nes to stop defending them everytime they take a big swig of their own bath water...

Boys club refers to a mindset that evidently exists, and that should any attempt to address it, watch your back.

We need a new CEO to pull in the reigns ASAP, preferably not an ex player this time.
What have they done wrong? They are trying to help a mate ffs. When have you seen them the bath by the way? Every person is involved in a boys club. It's their family and closest of friends. It's normal. Get off their backs.

Moods wrote:

Then go ahead and help him - BUT don't involve OUR club. These players have the brains of peas.

I understand their concern, I share it - but the absolute hide of players to expect people outside their little bubble to fund a legal defence for something that has NOTHING to do with the saints is mind boggling. Not to mention the sensitivity of the matter which some of them appear completely immune to.

Milne played footy for what? 12 years? Fair to say that conservatively he would have earnt 2.5-3million dollars in that time. Probably the amount the average Joe earns in his whole life. I sympathise to a degree with Milney, but let's face it, he brought this whole thing on himself to a degree. I know Milney's not asking anyone for anything, but I thought he would demand from his mates to just leave it.

Roo would be a millionaire 10 times over (minimum) Joey, Lenny, BJ, Kosi were all handsomely rewarded for playing for the saints. Between them they could all chip in 1/2 mill if they really felt so inclined.

It reminds me of the old days when the players asked sponsors to fund their footy trip, or raised money for their footy trip. Just mind boggling.
You've perfectly nailed what I've been thrashing around trying(unsuccessfully) to convey.
Not judging guilt or innocence, just not happy with this ill thought out attempt at support for their mate!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
What have they done wrong? They are trying to help a mate ffs. When have you seen them the bath by the way? Every person is involved in a boys club. It's their family and closest of friends. It's normal. Get off their backs.

This is what I don't get. These players are most likely all quite wealthy in their own right. If they want to help him, then help him themselves! A bloody hide asking sponsors/coterie to chip in. If they want to help an ex player, then I'm sure they all have the means to find out on their own how they can help him.

Whether Milne is guilty or innocent is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. This is a private matter, that should have remained private. Blaming the coterie member who went to the media is childish. They shouldn't have had any reason to be disgusted because they should never have been approached.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im happy for them to support Milney 100%
But have a private dinner. Be discreet.
Get it ticked off by legal. Dont just take it upon yourself to send out random emails asking for cash.
Call it a 'members special dinner to celebrate Milnes career'
Just use a bit of nous.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Im happy for them to support Milney 100%
But have a private dinner. Be discreet.
Get it ticked off by legal. Dont just take it upon yourself to send out random emails asking for cash.
Call it a 'members special dinner to celebrate Milnes career'
Just use a bit of nous.
Nous?
You expect nous from grown men who stand around photographing each other with their Willies out......
and save the photo?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: Just use a bit of nous.
They're footballers, good at kicking the footy real good n' that.
Let's be honest, most of them are pretty simple.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Stop it or you will hurt Clint's & Gilbert's feelings!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
So why to they seemingly influence so much of what happens around the place?

Hope the new CEO distances himself from club room politics, and works to "defend the brand" and the club identity.

I criticise the players a lot, but really, it's a lack of direction and leadership from higher places that sees us steam rolled into yet another negative headline courtesy of the players.

Someone take control already.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
dragit wrote:
Stop it or you will hurt Clint's & Gilbert's feelings!
Having fun boys? Bet they wish they were intelligent like you.

If the players had done the exact same thing to help another players medical bills due to illness or another legal matter no one would have had any problems with the players actions. I think as a supporter base we have become over sensitive to the media and how they report about our club. They wont change or be balanced until we put some winning games on the board. Until then everything will be due to bad culture and or a club in crisis.

markp
Saintsational Legend

What we do know Milne is guilty of is choosing to involve himself in something tawdry and messy (from the outset), which blew up in his face and only got messier, at significant subsequent cost to the club.

Now his (wealthy) teammates want club supporters and sponsors to chip in and pay his legals?

And some people think that's ok?

How bout they just quietly pay it themselves, and give the club and supporters (and media) a spell.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:So why to they seemingly influence so much of what happens around the place?
I don't think they do…

Watters was sacked because it was universally accepted that he was no good, not because the senior players wanted him gone.

Some senior players have obtained the details of coterie members for a special funding drive, this probably shouldn't have happened, but I can see how it easily has. Imagine Nick Riewoldt approaching someone in admin for some coterie details, I can't imagine many people saying no.

It still doesn't suggest to me that they are running the place.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

To me it does...

We agree to disagree dragit

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Eastern wrote:This situation/story has TWO very different angles to it;

1, Should the players be lobbying fans/sponsors to assist with Milney's legal costs? This is the real difficult question as it will always polarise opinion (I still don't know how I feel about it)
2. Is it right that an (as yet) un-named member of one of the club's coterie groups (Halos) runs off to the media with this story instead of confronting the club about it? I cannot see why anyone who claims to support the club would do this
Great post Eastern!

I also share your personal feelings re each question... especially number 2(!) :x
Eastern wrote:Please folks, don't confuse the TWO issues with emotion !!
Nailed it! :idea:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:To me it does...

We agree to disagree dragit
no worries.

southernsaint
Club Player

Wouldnt the long term players have met alot of halo members at various club functions over the years??? It dose not necessarily follow that the players had access to the clubs data base

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

southernsaint wrote:Wouldnt the long term players have met alot of halo members at various club functions over the years??? It dose not necessarily follow that the players had access to the clubs data base
They didn't read the play very well then when they asked this particular one...