Delaney the ace in the pack - AFL.com

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Delaney the ace in the pack - AFL.com

Iceman234 wrote:Surely there's no doubt that a bloke who can bench a small car has an advantage when it comes to legally pushing an opponent in the chest in a contest?

If our players are strong and athletic surely it's something to get excited about, rather than seeing them get pushed off so easily.

Doesn't matter where they play, that strength is vital, can mean a millisecond of getting to the ball before the opposition.
It might mean a millisecond of getting to the ball AFTER the opposition if they're in a footrace for a loose ball, because strength often comes at the expense of speed. For all we know Dunstan might be slower than Damian Monkhorst.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:Surely there's no doubt that a bloke who can bench a small car has an advantage when it comes to legally pushing an opponent in the chest in a contest?

If our players are strong and athletic surely it's something to get excited about, rather than seeing them get pushed off so easily.

Doesn't matter where they play, that strength is vital, can mean a millisecond of getting to the ball before the opposition.
It might mean a millisecond of getting to the ball AFTER the opposition if they're in a footrace for a loose ball, because strength often comes at the expense of speed. For all we know Dunstan might be slower than Damian Monkhorst.
I'd be very surprised if strength and fitness coaches don't take that into account when building up physical profiles.

Pretty sure Dunstan is going to be quicker than Monkey.

FFS I'm probably quicker than Monkey :-)

bob__71
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-04/d ... -schneider
"Luke Dunstan is a man-child, he's massive, he's up there with the strongest top five or 10 at the club in body-weight so he's got a good chance," he said.

I fail to understand your fascination with guys who lift big weights or look massive. Having looked at our best players in the last 10 years I see Rooy, lenny, Milney and a couple of others who lift normal weights and arent massive in the body. maybe the most overated thing in footy these days.
I think it was schnieder who was the one who was excited about the size attributes of a couple of the recruits.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I fail to understand your fascination with guys who lift big weights or look massive. Having looked at our best players in the last 10 years I see Rooy, lenny, Milney and a couple of others who lift normal weights and arent massive in the body. maybe the most overated thing in footy these days.
I think it was schnieder who was the one who was excited about the size attributes of a couple of the recruits.
Yep and he would know. Size and strength will always be a desirable attribute for most.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Strength - like speed - is a great attribute if you have it, but unfortunately just because you have one or the other (or both) it doesn't guarantee you will be any good unless you have the footy smarts on how to use it to get the ball.

I thought I read not long ago that Rhys Stanley was the strongest on our list (or near enough) - but that didn't seem to help him playing in defence last year...and even though he is also one of the tallest and quickest on our list, he is no certainty in our best 22.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
bob__71 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yep and he would know. Size and strength will always be a desirable attribute for most.

So what is size? Lenny isnt big at all and neither is Rooy if compared to Daw. Of course weights are important and of course strength is important but what is size is the right size? Milne got by without being huge. Judd isnt a huge man but has great strength. Yep some kids could be ready to go now but the important thing is that they are ready in 2,3 or 4 years time.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:

probably been in the shower with them..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintbob
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:As long as Delaney doesn't end up as the joker, or worse still a deuce, I'll be happy!
Whatever Delaney does, I just hope we get more out of him than the last big bloke we got from the Roos!!!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
bob__71 wrote:

So what is size? Lenny isnt big at all and neither is Rooy if compared to Daw. Of course weights are important and of course strength is important but what is size is the right size? Milne got by without being huge. Judd isnt a huge man but has great strength. Yep some kids could be ready to go now but the important thing is that they are ready in 2,3 or 4 years time.
Happy New Years!

I reckon it could be as much about how the club and the player feel, if it is a position that is not going to be impacted by being undersized or lacking in strength then go for it, but can't it also be as much about confidence within the player to be able to play with the big boys and some players probably need to feel they are ready physically. Not everyone is a Judd or Lenny.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintbob wrote:
White Winmar wrote:As long as Delaney doesn't end up as the joker, or worse still a deuce, I'll be happy!
Whatever Delaney does, I just hope we get more out of him than the last big bloke we got from the Roos!!!
He is 24 and could not replace some fairly ordinary players in Firrito and McMahon.

What does that suggest?

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

They played on flanks !

PADDLEPOP1000
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

That they play in different positions??

Try Scott Thompson and Lach Hansen

PJ
SS Life Member

Strength combined with skill will get you no where if you don't have tenacity. In todays game you need it all.

if you want examples of strong teams look at the brions premiership teams and the cats more recently. Big physical players are needed for finals games.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:
Kristian Anning / Bardsley?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Idea strength comes at the expense of speed is crap. Obviously it is strength to weight ratio. Weight is a problem for players these days cos they run so much so it can come at the expense of endurance for sure. But not speed.
If u watched that grand final last year there was barely enough open space for anyone like hill or Cyril to use their pace. The game was played in the clinches between Lewis Mitchell Munda fyfe and those guys. Strength helps a lot in those clearance situatiOns. Foot races are quite rare in modern footy. Light guys like Joey flourish because he is very fit and his main strength is reading the play and timing his runs and knowing where to be. But you can't have a team of joeys. You need a mIx of grunt and dash.

The Craw
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
saintbob wrote:
Kristian Anning / Bardsley?
Crapuano.

Not Craw, CRAW!
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Nth offered him another contract so he can"t be to bad!

PADDLEPOP1000
saintbob
SS Life Member

Whatever Delaney does, I just hope we get more out of him than the last big bloke we got from the Roos!!![/quote]

Crapuano.[/quote]

Spot on!!!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-04/d ... -schneider
"Luke Dunstan is a man-child, he's massive, he's up there with the strongest top five or 10 at the club in body-weight so he's got a good chance," he said.

Have a look at Jobe Watson

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:That they play in different positions??

Try Scott Thompson and Lach Hansen
Thompson is above average and Hansen is average.

Prior to Hansen staying down back the the Kangas had a revolving door of crapola.

Again, that suggests that nobody should expect much from Delaney and he should be happy to have somehow scored a 3 year deal.