Simpkin and Siposs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Simpkin and Siposs

Heatley was 189cm.

My worry with Sippa is he that 20 years ago he would have been a gun Full Fwd but these days he might just be trapped in no mans land in todays game.

Too small for kph and not quite a midfielder.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 15 Jan 2014 1:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Someone told me Rene Kink played at Full forward at times and he was 183cm.
Whether standing up or lying down :wink:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Heatley was 189cm.

My worry with Sippa is he that 20 years ago he would have been a gun Full Fwd but these days he might just be trapped in no mans land in todays game.

It's a pity he wasn't forced to play in a midfield role as a junior player cos he's a great size and quite agile for his height. He's good in traffic and has a decent turn of speed it's just the endurance isn't there. I guess if he were a high profile junior then AFL recruiters out there would've been in the ear of his coaches to play him as a midfielder.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:

It's a pity he wasn't forced to play in a midfield role as a junior player cos he's a great size and quite agile for his height. He's good in traffic and has a decent turn of speed it's just the endurance isn't there. I guess if he were a high profile junior then AFL recruiters out there would've been in the ear of his coaches to play him as a midfielder.

I think that was something Ross Lyon excelled in- finding roles to maximise the players natural talents. He seemed to think about what suited their key attributes. Siposs needs to be taught to play a cross between Rooey and Hamill. Needs to lead up to the ball as he's never going to be a guy who will stand his ground and out mark his opponent . He seemed to have struggled down back and seems very motivated by kicking goals and has a great record as a junior forward. We seem over stocked with backs now anyway so they should have him training as that 3rd tall forward. His real skills are his long kicking and lead up marking. He's only okay overhead and below his knees so far on what I've seen of him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

I think that was something Ross Lyon excelled in- finding roles to maximise the players natural talents. He seemed to think about what suited their key attributes. Siposs needs to be taught to play a cross between Rooey and Hamill. Needs to lead up to the ball as he's never going to be a guy who will stand his ground and out mark his opponent . He seemed to have struggled down back and seems very motivated by kicking goals and has a great record as a junior forward. We seem over stocked with backs now anyway so they should have him training as that 3rd tall forward. His real skills are his long kicking and lead up marking. He's only okay overhead and below his knees so far on what I've seen of him.
I think Sippa can still make it as a 3rd fwd. Assuming Lee becomes the '2nd' fwd and then we recruit a big gun for our 1st fwd to replace Roo (Patton or Spencer White etc).

Dunno if RL excelled at that - he had 10-12 gun players at their peak on our list back in 09/10- same as he had at Freo last year.
Not sure its rocket science.

He then invests time to get the other 10 blokes in the side to play hard footy and play a defensive role while his 10-12 good players just do their thing.

saint6709
Club Player

stinger wrote:
saint6709 wrote:Looking at the footage and images on the club website etc Simpkin looks to be fighting fit and perhaps up for a big year - Siposs looks to be well off the pace and maybe struggling a bit - maybe has slipped behind a bit after last years surgery ..?.

Anyone got any info on how they are travelling ??
you can tell all of that from one photo of siposs........??????... :roll:
Is the font too small for you ? Did you not manage to get through post? Here is the last line again in bold

Anyone got any info on how they are travelling??

slider
Club Player

Sippo is on a modified program after shoulder surgery, this usually means doing pretty much Jack with your upper body for 8+ weeks then resuming on a very light program.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:

Maybe it was his coaches fault, maybe the coach didn't know much about football.... :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Arryn loves playing footy.... Not so much running.

He is very skilful, but not the greatest athlete.... So a roo or even OKeefe comparison is off

He is courageous, but not a hard player... Unlike Hamill

He is a good mark for his size, definitely a good kick.... But not a FF .... He is a utility.... And very creative and damaging with the pill, however his lack of endurance, power and speed means he doesn't get to enough contests to win enough ball?

STK needs to use his attributes to create mismatches and rather than his weaknesses getting exposed

He is far more versatile than is thought.... Such a natural footballer, he can adapt easily... As long as he is in good shape

From the photo he looks out of shape, but the shoulder would explain a bit.....

Simpkin is too small for FB and by some way

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I think Simpkin's height is a non-issue when you look at Dempster, Gwilt, Fisher.
There is room in the backline for such a sized defender. If he's good enough he'll play. Which I think he will.
It's not all about height. You have ground position, jostling, tackling.
Stanley was tall enough but what use was he down there? Little.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Arryn loves playing footy.... Not so much running.

He is very skilful, but not the greatest athlete.... So a roo or even OKeefe comparison is off

He is courageous, but not a hard player... Unlike Hamill

He is a good mark for his size, definitely a good kick.... But not a FF .... He is a utility.... And very creative and damaging with the pill, however his lack of endurance, power and speed means he doesn't get to enough contests to win enough ball?

STK needs to use his attributes to create mismatches and rather than his weaknesses getting exposed

He is far more versatile than is thought.... Such a natural footballer, he can adapt easily... As long as he is in good shape

From the photo he looks out of shape, but the shoulder would explain a bit.....

Simpkin is too small for FB and by some way

When was the last time you spoke to Siposs. from the response of his Dad I doubt you have spoken to him for at least 4 years. You speak as if it was last week.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:I think Simpkin's height is a non-issue when you look at Dempster, Gwilt, Fisher.
But none of them are tall enough to play key back either?

Simpkin's 191cm. Here are some of the guys who'll be playing key defence across the competition over the next few years:

Lachlan Keeffe 204cm
Jake Carlisle 200cm
Jordan Roughead 200cm
Rory Thompson 200cm
Zac Dawson 197cm
Tom Lonergan 197cm
Jackson Trengove 197cm
Josh Bruce 196cm
Sam Day 196cm
Phil Davis 196cm
Lachlan Henderson 196cm
Eric MacKenzie 196cm
Tim Mohr 196cm
David Astbury 195cm
Mitch Brown 195cm
Nathan Brown 195cm
Justin Clarke 195cm
Michael Johnson 195cm
Daniel Merrett 195cm
Daniel Talia 195cm

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

You're all obsessed with height!
Have a look at Sydney's list of defenders...http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tp-s ... 014&sby=12
LRT is the tallest at 194. But it's the 192cm Ted Richards that gets the jobs on the key forwards each week.
This is the team that has been consistently the hardest to score against.
Have a look at Fremantle. Their best defender who gets the main forward is Luke McPharlin. He stands at 192cm.
Want more? Geelong. Harry Taylor is 193cm.

The best defences work as a team and don't rely on a straight one-on-one match up.
That's how we worked when we were at our best. Pressure the ball carrier and get numbers back.

Simpkin can easily be a major part of the defensive six and stand a key position forward.

jimmy_slats
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
millarsaint wrote:I think Simpkin's height is a non-issue when you look at Dempster, Gwilt, Fisher.
But none of them are tall enough to play key back either?

Simpkin's 191cm. Here are some of the guys who'll be playing key defence across the competition over the next few years:

Lachlan Keeffe 204cm
Jake Carlisle 200cm
Jordan Roughead 200cm
Rory Thompson 200cm
Zac Dawson 197cm
Tom Lonergan 197cm
Jackson Trengove 197cm
Josh Bruce 196cm
Sam Day 196cm
Phil Davis 196cm
Lachlan Henderson 196cm
Eric MacKenzie 196cm
Tim Mohr 196cm
David Astbury 195cm
Mitch Brown 195cm
Nathan Brown 195cm
Justin Clarke 195cm
Michael Johnson 195cm
Daniel Merrett 195cm
Daniel Talia 195cm

How bout a little bloke called Scarlett..... pretty much same height but i suppose he wasn't a back mans asshole because he was to short!

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Surely if Sippa fails this year to make a mark it will be his last.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Long life saint the difference being the players you mentioned are all exceptionally strong marks overhead with natural leaps - Simpkin doesn't. He likes to use his strength to bustle where his lack of height reach and jump is badly exposed at AFL level. He is not mobile enough to play on the mid sized players so IMO unless he finds some new trick he has very little chance of becoming a regular player at the top level.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

We need to get Sippa to bring a trick or two into his game to make it the difference between just being a player or being a good player ,fitness and confidence will come!

PADDLEPOP1000
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Long life saint the difference being the players you mentioned are all exceptionally strong marks overhead with natural leaps - Simpkin doesn't. He likes to use his strength to bustle where his lack of height reach and jump is badly exposed at AFL level. He is not mobile enough to play on the mid sized players so IMO unless he finds some new trick he has very little chance of becoming a regular player at the top level.
The best defenders can read the play well and have good closing speed. Remember all they need do is spoil the forward's mark. They don't need to out-mark their opponent.
What I saw of Simpkin in 2012 suggested enough to me that he has the traits needed to become a good KP defender. In 2013 between injury and suspension we did not see him return to the form he showed in the previous year. Let's hope he does this season because the ability is there.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think there is room for Simpkin in the side if/when Fisher and Dempster depart.

That leaves us Simpkin, Delaney, Bruce, Roberton as the 4 main defenders with say Gears, Gilbo, Wright and Webster as the running backs.
I guess Simpkins future depends a bit on hour Gwilty goes as well...

Im not sure how Sippa fits into todays AFL footy - but ill be happy to be proven wrong. He's a great story.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Long life saint the difference being the players you mentioned are all exceptionally strong marks overhead with natural leaps - Simpkin doesn't. He likes to use his strength to bustle where his lack of height reach and jump is badly exposed at AFL level. He is not mobile enough to play on the mid sized players so IMO unless he finds some new trick he has very little chance of becoming a regular player at the top level.

I remember when we picked up Simpkin he looked more like a running defender from the highlights who was good at picking up loose ball and somehow he has been turned into something he doesn't excel at. I think they should look to build him into either a Farren type or just train him to take over from Fisher as a quarterback defender as his chop out marking is quite good just not a contested marking type naturally.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

I remember when we picked up Simpkin he looked more like a running defender from the highlights who was good at picking up loose ball and somehow he has been turned into something he doesn't excel at. I think they should look to build him into either a Farren type or just train him to take over from Fisher as a quarterback defender as his chop out marking is quite good just not a contested marking type naturally.

Isnt good enough to do either ofthose roles in AFL footy. His only chance to make it in AFL footy is as the third tall. I like Simpkin. Reckon he can play but thats his only position.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I see Simpkin as a similar player to Max Hudghton, but a little slower and a little stronger. Excellent timing in the air, good bodywork and generally an all-round quality stopper. He doesn't have the size to go with the Tippet/Cloke types but he's perfect to take the second/third marking target. His rebounding work isn't at the same level of Gilbert or Roberton but he is a much tighter defender and he genuinely lifts the team with his massive tackles/bumps/second and third efforts, just as Aaron Hamill did from the forward line.

Even if Simpkin isn't statistically worthy of a spot, I would pick him just about every week. He's an ideal matchup for Gunston/Crameri/Darling types and his manic aggression is worth more than a few extra disposals. Right now I understand that he's competing with Fisher, Dempster and Gwilt to get into the side but in a couple of years I think he'll comfortably be in our best 18.

As for Siposs, I'm a fan but he really must have a poor work ethic. Coaches would absolutely love to have a player of his size and skill in the team and would give him every chance if he was putting the work in behind the scenes. Hopefully it is just the surgery that has left him a bit out of condition and he has a huge year, but the fact that he didn't get a mention from Richo in a recent spiel about the impressive young guys is a bit concerning.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I see Simpkin as a similar player to Max Hudghton, but a little slower and a little stronger. Excellent timing in the air, good bodywork and generally an all-round quality stopper. He doesn't have the size to go with the Tippet/Cloke types but he's perfect to take the second/third marking target. His rebounding work isn't at the same level of Gilbert or Roberton but he is a much tighter defender and he genuinely lifts the team with his massive tackles/bumps/second and third efforts, just as Aaron Hamill did from the forward line.

Even if Simpkin isn't statistically worthy of a spot, I would pick him just about every week. He's an ideal matchup for Gunston/Crameri/Darling types and his manic aggression is worth more than a few extra disposals. Right now I understand that he's competing with Fisher, Dempster and Gwilt to get into the side but in a couple of years I think he'll comfortably be in our best 18.

As for Siposs, I'm a fan but he really must have a poor work ethic. Coaches would absolutely love to have a player of his size and skill in the team and would give him every chance if he was putting the work in behind the scenes. Hopefully it is just the surgery that has left him a bit out of condition and he has a huge year, but the fact that he didn't get a mention from Richo in a recent spiel about the impressive young guys is a bit concerning.

The Richo thing might just be because he's been training a tailored program.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Scarlett an inch taller and 5kg up on Simpkin.... And a fair bit of talents also

Does everyone actually think listed heights are correct?!

I have been next to Simpkin at Sandy a number of times... He ain't that big, much shorter and not as big as Blake.

Listed at 191 wearing his boots with long studs.....IMO

Has anyone seen Scarlett look monstered... What about Simpkin?

Simpkin is a HBF size

lefty
Club Player

It amazes me that people forget the Simpkin of 2012.
The guy is a seriously good defender.

2013 he was hit with his shin splints/lower leg issues, that s*** stops you from running freely and pain free. If you can't run, you'll struggle to get a game.

I'd back Simpkin any day of the week, hard as nuts and a good defender.

As per Siposs, his 2013 season wasn't great, but it wasn't his fault that the coach decided to play him as the "quarter back" which clearly didn't work, compared to his 2012 season, where he is far better suited to a forward flank.

I think a lot of you forget these guys are still young, and the likes of Ray, Dempster, Gwilt, Fisher and Schneider won't be there much longer, and then you'll be up s*** creek with 18 yo's if you got rid of the next batch of players, so to speak.