Your Expectations of the Saints over the coming seasons

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Your Expectations of the Saints over the coming seasons

I think we will finisher higher this year than the next two....

chook23
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think we will finisher higher this year than the next two....
very lean period coming up then.

saint4life
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am hoping 2013 we bottomed out on and off field and that 2014 sees a slight improvement based on slightly less from older players and a fair bit of promise/improvement from younger players. Also hope to see Milney acquitted and our off field fortunes start to turn the corner.

Notice I did use the word 'hope'.

resaintlee
Club Player

I'd like to think the suggestion 'taking 18 months to really get to know the coach' would mean that by the second half of 2015 we will be really competitive. If it goes like P66 suggests and takes 4 years then more than half our list could be turned over and work with our current list will be lost/wasted?. It must happen more quickly, check those on our list from a few years before 2009/10 and see how quickly the team changed.

With a number of injuries we can most probably expect in any year of football perhaps we will be in a better place to replace injured players this year which should make for a better year than last year

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:I'd like to think the suggestion 'taking 18 months to really get to know the coach' would mean that by the second half of 2015 we will be really competitive. If it goes like P66 suggests and takes 4 years then more than half our list could be turned over and work with our current list will be lost/wasted?. It must happen more quickly, check those on our list from a few years before 2009/10 and see how quickly the team changed.

With a number of injuries we can most probably expect in any year of football perhaps we will be in a better place to replace injured players this year which should make for a better year than last year

It is different getting new players in and learning the game plan to teaching players already there a new game plan. The new players coming in are less likely to have come from a club with a AFL style GP so the only GP they will know is the one they will be shown and at the moment 40 players are being taught a new GP but in the future it will only be about 8 per year. Our list isnt good enough to make the 8 at the moment even after they get experience so it needs to be turned over. There is no real rush IMO apart from losing members and money. If it wasnt for that it is my opinion a slow build will get better results than a fast build especially as we have little players in the age range most clubs would like them.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I don't have expectations, only dreams. It's always the same.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Megamaguire
Club Player

M O R E R E B O U N D !

Dave McNamara said...
"Then add in the new big key backs. they can't do worse than the undersized blokes who had to sacrifice their normal roles to try and stand the opposition power forwards for us.
Bonus, those undersized blokes (Gwilt, Sam *2 and Dempster) will be freed up.
One thing they will be able to do is supply damaging rebound. "

Yes Dave just the simple added ingredient of more regular and consistent rebound would be very pleasing to witness nevermind encouraging to the midfield.

If the big guy Delaney can establish himself early and hold his ground until Bruce can join him - also settling into some regular and commendable form then I can imagine the likes of Jimmy, Sam '2' and Demps flowering under the AR approach. Of coarse AR will need time to come into some good form himself and we should all be somewhat prerared to be patient.

Haven't mentioned Robbo , Newness or Wright but they could respond well to AR as well. Fingers crossed!

GO SAINTS! :D

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
onlooker2
Club Player

On the playing front I want to see the progressive development of the list and its playing 'style' to set itself up finals football although as said before there will be more pain before this happens.
Off field I want us out of Chelsea and although I have a personal preference we either go to Linton st, Elsternwick Park or Fitzroy St.
I want to see decent primary sponsors wanting to talk to us and the Club's well resouced and professional administration wanting to talk to them.
I want to see the membership numbers start growing again and the Club prepared to make some big decisions to give this some impetus.
I am pretty easy to please!!

PJ
SS Life Member

Gameplan, Workrate & Attitude to all improve.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
resaintlee
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
resaintlee wrote:I'd like to think the suggestion 'taking 18 months to really get to know the coach' would mean that by the second half of 2015 we will be really competitive. If it goes like P66 suggests and takes 4 years then more than half our list could be turned over and work with our current list will be lost/wasted?. It must happen more quickly, check those on our list from a few years before 2009/10 and see how quickly the team changed.

It is different getting new players in and learning the game plan to teaching players already there a new game plan. The new players coming in are less likely to have come from a club with a AFL style GP so the only GP they will know is the one they will be shown and at the moment 40 players are being taught a new GP but in the future it will only be about 8 per year. Our list isnt good enough to make the 8 at the moment even after they get experience so it needs to be turned over. There is no real rush IMO apart from losing members and money. If it wasnt for that it is my opinion a slow build will get better results than a fast build especially as we have little players in the age range most clubs would like them.
Thanks Plugger, that makes sense.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

what star potential do we have in the group of players aged 22 and under? We can ignore this year's draft selections and see that we have solid types and some with potential to be very good, like Newnes, Wright, and Saunders. If none of the 2010 to 2012 draftees reach that A grade status, then it will be a longer climb back than may hope. I think we'll see an improvement this year mainly to the stabilisation of the back half, but the win loss ratio will most likely be the same. leaving us in the bottom three or four positions again.

2015 will only be marginally better with many of our ageing stars either out or on the way out, so I see around 7 wins
2016 will see the the end of our ageing stars and the consolidation of the new breed. If the likes of Billing, Dunstan, Acres and the 2014 draftees really hit their straps, then I see maybe 8 or 9 wins

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Improvement in younger players, guts, determination and courage from all players and some signs in improvement in a new game plan which will take time. I have zero expectations regarding win / loss record.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:what star potential do we have in the group of players aged 22 and under? We can ignore this year's draft selections and see that we have solid types and some with potential to be very good, like Newnes, Wright, and Saunders. If none of the 2010 to 2012 draftees reach that A grade status, then it will be a longer climb back than may hope. I think we'll see an improvement this year mainly to the stabilisation of the back half, but the win loss ratio will most likely be the same. leaving us in the bottom three or four positions again.

2015 will only be marginally better with many of our ageing stars either out or on the way out, so I see around 7 wins
2016 will see the the end of our ageing stars and the consolidation of the new breed. If the likes of Billing, Dunstan, Acres and the 2014 draftees really hit their straps, then I see maybe 8 or 9 wins
Billy Longer. I reckon he will be one of our next marquee players and a good chance of being our next captain once Reiwoldt retires. He hasn't had the opportunity in the AFL being a young developing tall fighting for a spot in the best 22 against one of the best rucks in the comp while at Brissy, however I followed his junior footy closely and he'll be near the top of the ruck pile in the competition within 2-3 years. There's a reason he drew comparisons with Dean Cox over his junior career.

Seb Ross is another player who will be a future gun IMO. He's a very classy type that has time and space and can win his own ball in a Pendlebury and Dal Santo way. Just wait until he builds a bigger tank and is given greater midfield opportunity and increases his 2013 average possessions from about 15 to 25 a game which will happen over the next 2-3 years IMO.

Outside of those two there's plenty of support players such as the guys you mentioned. I see Newnes and Wright becoming very good players however the scope isn't there as much as the two above I mentioned. Then there's guys like Markworth and Spencer who could become anything...Or nothing. Like all lists that are being built we'll need some luck along the way.

citywest

Your Expectations of the Saints over the coming seasons..... Please refer to my signature below.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Your Expectations of the Saints over the coming seasons..... Please refer to my signature below.
The old wooden spoon line. That's original.

<edited by mods> off troll, muppet.

You sad and boring person.

Look at your own cheating team.

say hi to James.

He will never coach again.

Like I said,<edited by mods> off.

<poster warned for abuse and / or swearing>

<please note that citywest is entitled to an option - whether he is a saints supporter or not>

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dont orry Pav, the Essendon supporter has been predicting a wooden spoon since 2008.

As Nexus_Helen demanded we needed to have a total rebuild after the 2008 season. :roll:

What do you expect for an Essendon troll. Taken too many peptides, it is obvious.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Dont orry Pav, the Essendon supporter has been predicting a wooden spoon since 2008.

As Nexus_Helen demanded we needed to have a total rebuild after the 2008 season. :roll:

What do you expect for an Essendon troll. Taken too many peptides, it is obvious.
Indeed JB.

I will probably get a warning for it but the troll will live on.

If that sig is not baiting, I don't know what is.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

young players actually pushing oldies out.

The likes of saunders, wright, Lee etc. becoming starting 18 players.
A game plan that is suited for finals. Contested ball, hard running in packs. Quick movement and lots of pressure. Results do not matter, how we construct our footy does.
Something more then the switch, which seemed the only tactic of the last coach.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

I don't really care how many games we win or loose.

I can handle and even expect a few blow outs, thats the nature of playing young blokes.

I just want to pump 18+ games into the young guys who are the future, and establish a game plan that makes us competitive.

Carpe Diem
noob
Club Player

I wouldn't say we are guaranteed to compete either in 2017 or 2018. We could do a North Melbourne or Essendon and be 6th-10th for like 10 years.

citywest

SaintPav wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Dont orry Pav, the Essendon supporter has been predicting a wooden spoon since 2008.

Indeed JB.

I will probably get a warning for it but the troll will live on.

If that sig is not baiting, I don't know what is.

What are you talking about?? My sig is exactly what happened in the not so distant past and what I am predicting will happen again. I am happy with the trading and drafting. Make no mistake, we are on the right path but it is going to take time. Actually, even the club themselves are saying 2018 is the year we will be challenging again, and you know what, they are spot on.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i expect the very best draft picks we can legally get our hands on.

any less is stupidity , imo.

and a game plan that moves the pill from there to through the big sticks
without the other idiots getting their hands on it.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Some of the greatest players in our history are still playing now.... But won't be in a next year or the year after.... Or will be on decline... Therefore I think we will go lower without

Roewoldt, Hayes, Fisher, Montagna, Schnieder, Dempster

Than what we will with them in 2014

Jack aside..... They are StK best players still

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I feel very comfortable about being bottom 5 this year.

But I feel real genuine hope......

We have a serious lot of young talent... The AFL will notice what we have on offer in the next 2 years. We are coming back.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Some of the greatest players in our history are still playing now.... But won't be in a next year or the year after.... Or will be on decline... Therefore I think we will go lower without

Roewoldt, Hayes, Fisher, Montagna, Schnieder, Dempster

Than what we will with them in 2014

Jack aside..... They are StK best players still

Thats assuming no improvement in any of the younger players.

But even with natural improvement, it will take a lot to cover those players.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)