crazy trading

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

manoffewwords
Club Player

Re: crazy trading

WinnersOnly wrote:And the good big man was replaced cheaply with Billy LONGER coming on board with more potential to be A grade than McEvoy. On the other side of the argument after the hawthorn game I could see why we went around Bill Hartung the kid looks all attitude...
I heard an interesting story about this kid a while back.

It seems that his psych. assessment was one of the worst results ever by a potential draftee, I,m not exactly sure if it was a assessment done by another club or a general assessment done by all draftees. Anyway my mail is that only a couple of clubs were aware of this, st kilda was not one of them and was set to draft Hartung. Port Adelaide were aware of the info. Needless to say there was a very late change of mind at StKilda when this advice arrived.

Good source in the coaching system although I may have some of the finer details wrong that's what basically went down..

Mofw

Say something once why say it again?
stinger
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:. I trust many who know a hell of a lot more than me who say he was a very good player.
Stinger?

not me mate...i still have nightmares of big boy's first attempted mark :twisted:

and still pissed with the saints everytime i see rioli play....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Hawthorn are the best traders in the comp, and have done it again.. It is why they are going hard for another flag this year, and will probably win a couple more in the next 5...

Mac is an out and out gun ruckman, who will hit his prime in the next 5 years, as all good ruckman do.. He will be immense for Hawthorn, potentially a premiership captain..

We can sleep well at night however looking at his hit out stats however... they should keep us Saints supporters comfortable... :roll: Let's overlook the best marking ruckman in the game for hit out stats that are completely irrelevant..
Didnt we go to hawthorn with the trade? It was our idea not theirs. They were going to end up with Longer anyway, but we saw it as a way to get another 2 picks in the top 20.
Longer himself thought he was going to hawthorn.
Thats how I heard it anyway, I may be wrong

Sobraz
SS Life Member

mullet wrote:
Sobraz wrote:Hawthorn are the best traders in the comp, and have done it again.. It is why they are going hard for another flag this year, and will probably win a couple more in the next 5...

Mac is an out and out gun ruckman, who will hit his prime in the next 5 years, as all good ruckman do.. He will be immense for Hawthorn, potentially a premiership captain..

We can sleep well at night however looking at his hit out stats however... they should keep us Saints supporters comfortable... :roll: Let's overlook the best marking ruckman in the game for hit out stats that are completely irrelevant..
Didnt we go to hawthorn with the trade? It was our idea not theirs. They were going to end up with Longer anyway, but we saw it as a way to get another 2 picks in the top 20.
Longer himself thought he was going to hawthorn.
Thats how I heard it anyway, I may be wrong
Either/or.. I do know that Hawthorn were falling over themselves to snaffle him up in case we had a change of heart.. Hence ditching the Longer idea for what they saw as an upgrade for the same price.. Still pinching themselves I'm betting..

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

lol.

Do you actually watch the game, or do you just listen to brian taylor.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Not sure he will be a huge loss. He was in the bottom 3 ruckmen in the league for hitouts and hit outs to advantage, he wasn't a goal kicker so wasn't effective as a forward. He was a good defensive mark but we need more from our ruck man than that

Hit outs mean jack. Hit outs to advantage mean a little more but not much based on where sides finished on the ladder. No he wasnt a goal kicker because our backline was under so much pressure he was forced to play nearly always a kick behind the play. I trust many who know a hell of a lot more than me who say he was a very good player.
So whose been saying that then?

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Hit outs mean jack. Hit outs to advantage mean a little more but not much based on where sides finished on the ladder. No he wasnt a goal kicker because our backline was under so much pressure he was forced to play nearly always a kick behind the play. I trust many who know a hell of a lot more than me who say he was a very good player.

How many very good games does a very good player need to play to be classed a very good player.

To me he was an ordinary player, but time will tell.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
Not sure he will be a huge loss. He was in the bottom 3 ruckmen in the league for hitouts and hit outs to advantage, he wasn't a goal kicker so wasn't effective as a forward. He was a good defensive mark but we need more from our ruck man than that

He was a dinosaur and we all know what happened to them.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I agree, it was a real shame that we just gave Hawthorn McEvoy and got no picks or players for him.

Absolute tosh you talk. What bollocks. The name of the game is to win flags. We needed to trade and he and Dal Santo were two of the few with any currency.

I think some people should have a look at the hard realities of football.

mac may well play in a premiership which never would have happened at the Saints. Keeping him would have meant we would probably not pick up quality midfielders in Dunstan or Acres or got any backmen.

But go off half cocked and mope about with emotional claptrap. Would not like to have you in the trenches next to me.

Weak.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:

KB, Dunstall, Parkin, King, Richardson, Harford. Well they have been the ones I have heard. Havent heard anyone say he is an ordinary player except here.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Still think trading away Nick Dal Santo was a stupid choice... 260 games loyal * to the one club, pushed out by us... stupid.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

KB, Dunstall, Parkin, King, Richardson, Harford. Well they have been the ones I have heard. Havent heard anyone say he is an ordinary player except here.
Well, if Finey didn't say it, it doesn't matter.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Wow, other than the Hawk link that need it to work, hardly high class football judges, but I suppose if you play football you must know….
Let's wait for Dermie to say we are hopeless traders….
Wouldn't expect a foot journo to understand why we did what we did...

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

So they're all people who watch the Saints every week. Unlike the people on here.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

And I thought I went early !

This takes the cake.

We have already made a ruling on this trade.

Not just pre season but pre pre season because macca had a good game against a lions under 19s side.
:shock:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Ben didn't have a great year in 2013, agreed. His final matches were disappointing. Surprised he left but excited at the prospects we drafted. Didn't see any of the match the other night but heard he did well. Good luck to him.
Everybody commented that the Lions side was extremely undermanned and inexperienced though - and up against the reigning premier. Still, as we all know on here, one pre season game in February does not a season make.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Ben Macca Who???

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
falka
Club Player

I cant believe that people arent saying how good a deal this is for saints, turning a dinosaur and pick 24 into pick 18, 19 and Savage. We got Longer also to replace, who on potential and at junior level was better ruck AND a better leader (captained Vic Metro).

If this doesnt equal great trade (on paper), well i'm out of here.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:I cant believe that people arent saying how good a deal this is for saints, turning a dinosaur and pick 24 into pick 18, 19 and Savage. We got Longer also to replace, who on potential and at junior level was better ruck AND a better leader (captained Vic Metro).

Stop using facts please. Gets in the way of delusional thoughts from some.

Even if Mac improves at the Hawks we got great compo. End of story

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
falka
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
falka wrote:I cant believe that people arent saying how good a deal this is for saints, turning a dinosaur and pick 24 into pick 18, 19 and Savage. We got Longer also to replace, who on potential and at junior level was better ruck AND a better leader (captained Vic Metro).

Stop using facts please. Gets in the way of delusional thoughts from some.

Even if Mac improves at the Hawks we got great compo. End of story
s***, sorry forgot we are St.Kilda so we must have stuffed it up.
I won't mention that Acres wouldn't have lasted to 24 and will be the 2nd best player from the draft (behind Billings) and Dunstan the next Sam Mitchell.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So they're all people who watch the Saints every week. Unlike the people on here.

No they probably dont see the Saints as much as some on here but they also arent biased like some on here. I will admit there were a few that didnt rate Ben when he played for us but typical of supporters there are now others who dont rate him. Guess why? he left thats why. last year we werent going to miss BJ in some peoples eyes because Siposs was going to replece hime. Well that worked out well. This year Longer and Hickey are doing the job and will be better players long term. Hope they are right but to me its a case of people hoping they are right. The best situation for all would be that Savage is good for us and either Longer or Hickey play a very good role in the ruck but its to early tell. I hope and wish that all hoppens but IMO Ben is a loss. Plenty of times im wrong and hopefully this is another.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Ben was a good player and I loved his passion but I do believe to go forward and rebuild it was the right trade ,bit rich for people to be saying that the hawks got the better of the deal after one pracy match, it will take at least 2 years before we know ,I do know quite a few hawk supporters that were disappointed to lose Savage and Dunstan looks a goer,Longer will take time but will be a good pick up and a good leader !

PADDLEPOP1000
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:Ben was a good player and I loved his passion but I do believe to go forward and rebuild it was the right trade ,bit rich for people to be saying that the hawks got the better of the deal after one pracy match, it will take at least 2 years before we know ,I do know quite a few hawk supporters that were disappointed to lose Savage and Dunstan looks a goer,Longer will take time but will be a good pick up and a good leader !

Now I certainly agree that anyone taking notice of one practice match decide the hawks got a better deal is crazy but for them short term it is a great deal. Hopefully long term for us it is also a great deal. This is how trades can be win win. One gets the short term benefit and the other gets the long term benefit.

Just one thing though. There will be plenty tell us after Wednesday night how important one practice match is even if its good or bad news.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Let's not forget that Hickey war coming along nicely and may hit his straps in 2016 when we may start improving

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
citywest

stinger wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... 32r68.html

"And the Hawks have Ben McEvoy. If I were a St Kilda fan, I would be calling for a royal commission into how McEvoy parted company with the Saints. One of the oldest sayings in the game is "a good big man will always beat a good little man", and McEvoy is a good big man. Not only that, when asked on Wednesday who might succeed him as captain of Hawthorn, Luke Hodge put up McEvoy as a possible candidate. And he hasn't even played a senior game with the club!"

...i suppose we will have to wait and see.....

i was always critical of the saints for overlooking rioli and going for big boy...now they have both.... :roll:
The McEvoy trade enabled us to get Longer and Savage did it not? That being the case I would say it is one of the best trades St Kilda has ever done. Certainly much better than trading 2 first round draft picks for Barry Brooks I would have thought.