Who can play AFL standard footy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who can play AFL standard footy?

How many on the list are clearly up to it?

Hickey.... Maybe
Siposs ..... Not looking great
Steven.... Obviously
Jones.... Just
Savage.... Probably
Ross ....... Not looking good
Hayes .... Yes
Dennis Lane..... No
Lee....... Hopefully
Markworth..... Hopefully
Montagna ...... Yes
Riewoldt......... Yes
Schnieder........ Yes
Geary............. Yes
Billings .......... Most likely
Newnes .......... Yes
Roberton ........ Yes
White ............. Hopefully, difficult to tell
Gilbert ........... Yes
Armitage ........ Yes
Delaney ......... Maybe
Ray ................ Yes
Longer ............ Likely
Dempster......... Yes
Fisher .............. Yes
Curran ............. Looks like it
Bruce .............. Hopefully
Stanley .......... Actually, not looking promising
Webster ......... Likely
Murdoch .......... Question marks, like Ross
Simpkin........... No so sure, can't find a position suitable at afl standard
Milera ............. Doubtful
Gwilt ............... Just
Wright .............. Likely
Saunders ........... Possibly
Dunstan ............ Very Likely
Maister ............. Just at best
Dunnell ............. Unlikely
Shenton .......... Unlikely
Acres ............... Hard to tell at this point
Minchington ....... Possible
Pierce ............... Hard to tell
Templeton .......... Possibly
Weller ................. Possibly
Holmes ................ Long shot
Baker .................. Longer shot

Lots of ? Still over many players..... Needs yet another turn over again next season

They should try and get three inside 20 next year, and another two inside 50.... And a good trade

sainter27
Club Player

Re: Who can play AFL standard footy?

That is a stunningly bad post, work harder champ

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I think Hickey can.

Very underrated on this forum. He looks the goods, looks like a great tap ruckman who can take a contested mark.

I know the contested thing is questionable now for some, but I think he is actually quite good.

sainter27
Club Player

Sorry mate, too quick to judge. Are you!re ratings based on hawthorn or gws?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I thought Simpkin showed he is a likely AFL standard player in 2012 so this year will tell I suppose.
I think Rhys will have a break out year this year...I'm hoping at least, the positive about his 2013 year was he strung games together.
Sipposs is the interesting one, I hope he makes it.
Gwilt is a proven AFL player.
Maister is the one I'm prepared to say probably doesn't cut it but again I hope he can make it or at least be serviceable for the next couple of years while our forward line is developing.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The real question is who from those players can be components to a top 4 team in the next 5-10 years? A lot of the players on our list are stop gaps until better players are recruited to project us up the ladder.

saint6709
Club Player

Interested in why Newnes is 'yes'given the the way you have appraised the rest of the list

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Don't tell me our list is in bad shape?

Did we stuff up a draft or something?

happy feet
Club Player

For anyone that has been around this game, and has coached, would see the OP as a bit silly. With respect to the young ones, less than 30 games, the question is are they coachable? Time will tell, so will the coaching staff.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

When you draft in a heap of players in a few years you will have a substantial amount of guys in the still to decide category. Not really a lot of point to it other than to guess a few of your favourites will make it and a few of your less favoured players won't. Check back in two years and we will see how you went. Hickey is ahead of Longer right at this moment.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

BM, if your going to hang more crap on the club you barrack for at least learn who is on the list.

Baker...longer shot

We don't have a Baker :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:BM, if your going to hang more crap on the club you barrack for at least learn who is on the list.

Baker...longer shot

No Baker, no Butcher and a Savage - mmm. Worrying...

Well dont let the Savage starve..... Things might get ugly.

Thank god for Fisher! He should keep the Savage from causing trouble.

(p.s I think BM means Baker-FInch I mean Thomas)

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:For anyone that has been around this game, and has coached, would see the OP as a bit silly. With respect to the young ones, less than 30 games, the question is are they coachable? Time will tell, so will the coaching staff.
It's a good test for the Academy

onlooker2
Club Player

My very basic appraisal system with our more recent players is to try and detect regular improvement over two seasons once they break into the senior side. Obviously there will be fluctuations in performance but if they get to the end of the second year (approaching 50 games) and they are still with us with injury time, body type, attitude etc etc we then make an assessment of whether they fit into the master plan ie a finals team makeup. Its ruthless but its a business. I dont think there is anything unusual about this approach; its just the way it works

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

bobmurray wrote:BM, if your going to hang more crap on the club you barrack for at least learn who is on the list.

Baker...longer shot

I think Bob, that Marto may have meant Kiwi Joe...
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-04-2 ... -kiwi-ties

happy feet wrote:For anyone that has been around this game, and has coached, would see the OP as a bit silly. With respect to the young ones, less than 30 games, the question is are they coachable? Time will tell, so will the coaching staff.
Good point Happy. However, this is a discussion forum, and it's all a bit of fun. (Hey, otherwise you be condemned to reading my GF rants. :wink: )

I can't speak for Mart, but I took it as an interesting exercise in seeing where are our 'numbers' currently lie.

For mine, we do have blokes (as do other clubs past and present) who have played less than thirty games, but whom I'd be confident in say that they can play AFL footy. We even have one who's played no senior games for premiership points, but I'd be pretty confident in including him on said list... no prizes... Dunstan.

But yes, time and the coaching staff will ultimately tell. :)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

Baker...longer shot

I think Bob, that Marto may have meant Kiwi Joe...
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-04-2 ... -kiwi-ties

Good point Happy. However, this is a discussion forum, and it's all a bit of fun. (Hey, otherwise you be condemned to reading my GF rants. :wink: )

I can't speak for Mart, but I took it as an interesting exercise in seeing where are our 'numbers' currently lie.

For mine, we do have blokes (as do other clubs past and present) who have played less than thirty games, but whom I'd be confident in say that they can play AFL footy. We even have one who's played no senior games for premiership points, but I'd be pretty confident in including him on said list... no prizes... Dunstan.

But yes, time and the coaching staff will ultimately tell. :)
he's not on the list though is he, Baker Thomas is a 16 year old NZ prospect who won't make F*** all difference to our list for a couple of years at least, re- affirms my other post, = no idea

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'll give this a go.

Where our list is at...

Hickey: Seems to have improved as a tap ruckman. Has some mongrel in the sense that he tackles well. No obvious position other than the ruck at the moment. Probably needs to have more influence around the ground to cement himself at the team's primary ruck. He's not there yet but seems to have improved markedly. Feel like he will establish himself in the 22 by season's end.

Siposs: An enigma. He played ok early after being drafted as a medium forward and clearly seems suited to that type of role. Has shown a bit of flair and beautiful kicking w/o really any other standouts to his game. Following on from that, he has been moved back and forward w/o I feel a clear plan on how to develop his game. From what I gather, the only plan has been to increase his aerobic fitness. His backs up against the wall now as the time has come to make a decision on him and he needs to produce. We have no sense of what his best position is and I believe he has been injured over the pre-season and will be starting from behind. Is a worry.

Steven: Our best mid. I don't think he fits into the elite category and I don't know that he ever will as his disposal is a bit iffy at times... still an 80-90% grade midfielder

Jones: I've been a skeptic since mid 2010. To me he is an excellent club man, hard worker, great example for the kids etc but an average midfielder and now a subpar tagger. He's one of the older players on our list, not going to get any better and has been in steady decline for a while... would rather player Eli or Mave. See very little positive of playing him.

Savage: Haven't seem him. Reports say he is classy and fast. Sounds like he's a walk up start for our HFF. May be the type of player that looks better in a good team and likely to be exposed a bit more this season.

Ross: HAd a few really good games last season and looked like a really good bigger bodied mid. Then disappeared. Reports indicative of a real lack of urgency, laziness and all round ineffectivness. Is a real worry. We really need to throw everything we have at him, would be a massive win for us if he becomes the type of a player he has at tiimes (rarely I know) teased us into thinking he will become.

Hayes: North of 30 and likely to get shown up a bit more this season but is an excellent player and will have some big games.

TDL: He's very odd. Plays as small forward but isn't very opportunistic. As an outside midfielder, doesn't get much of it, and isn't very damaging. Can't figure out his game. Not good enough for mine. WOuld have preferred to keep Ledger.

Tom Lee: Looks promising as a key forward and took steps in the second half of the season to cement himself in the best 22. His issue is a lack of size and strength resulting in his getting shut out of games. Looks more like a second tall forward rather than the key forward. Needs a good run with injury. A poor pre-season will pbly see him take a few steps back over the first few games with an expectation for marked improvement later in the year.

Markworth: Have not seen him play nor have I heard many promising match reports but the consistent feedback is he is highly rated. Don't know where he fits.

Montagna: GUN

Riewoldt: I love him

Schnieder: A player who's reputation has always surpassed his output at our club. Has all the tools to be a very damaging player but is either out injured, or fades out of games to often. Could be a massive asset for us this season and a key part of getting some unexpected wins, but I shant hold ny breath.

Geary: Def a starting 22 player but I'm a little unclear of how he should be used. In the past has been an effective medium to small back but now seems to be playing further up the ground. Is that because they think he could be a good mid, or he needs to as we have other developing players that can play down back.
Seems to have a lot of critics on here. Not sure what the ideal outcome with him is.

Billings: Has been injured so haven't seen much of him. General sense is that he has demonstarated those excellent skills we have heard so much about. The hope would be that he would start to play a bit more in the second half of the season and show us a lot of glimpses.

Newnes: I struggle with Newnes. He's one player that in the games I've gone to, hasn't done a lot ever but match reports often speak glowingly of him. Seems like a starting 22 player however I would hope to see him be much more consistent by seasons end.

Roberton: Would like to see him recapture his earlier form from last season. A player that has all the attributes to be an excellent HBF. He's one of these players that has the potential to be a near A-Grade player but could also get through his career as a b-grade average player in a lousy team, or fall away quickly. I hope we get package A.

White: Injuries have made this difficult. Needs to demonstrate by seasons end that he is worth persevering with. Wouldn't expect many games/

Gilbert: Hasn't been great since 2010. He should be a near elite player for us but a combination of injuries, poor exposure/use, off-field dramas etc have seen him have several poor seasons in a row. Looked close to getting back to his best last season. A decision needs to be made on him by seasons end... is he a player that will play good football for us again or are we better cutting our losses and getting what we can.

Armitage: We've been waiting for him to go from a b-grade mid, to one that is amongst the best. Has looked good in the preseason. I feel like he might take a step this year.

Delaney: Will be our starting full back. Hopefully will be viewed as a good pick rather than a GOP in an average team.

Ray: Older and inconsistent. Very talented but needs to be playing good football otherwise no point playing him.

Longer: Watch this space. Looks to be on ever ground with Hickey and Stanley as the first ruck

Dempster: Seems to be in decline and had issues with fitness. Hopefully will bounce back.

Fisher: Not sure RE his fitness. Really needs to play as a HBF rather than a key back which IMO he really doesn't do that well in. On a flank, with Delaney and Bruce holding the key spots and Gilbert opposite him, we suddenly look pretty good coming in/out of defence.

Curran: Looked like an up coming star by the end of last season. Seems to have fallen back to the pack in the off-season. Had an average pre-season last year as well. Will start in the top 22 and hopefully continue improving.

Bruce: The reports are he may not be ready to start as a key back which was disappointing. Hopefully he gets there by seasons end.

Stanley: Looks okay in the center. Has a good jump. Simply has no presence in his game. Needs mongrel and needs to start taking more marks both around the ground and up forward. Seems as though he's not good enough.

Webster: Will start in the best 22 and hopefully be well and truly cemented after 6-7 rounds

Murdoch: Okay 1st season. Seems to lack a bit of class but has potential. Need to see more of him

Simpkin: Clearly has the tools but doesn't seem suited to any one position. I like him but he's too small for a key back post and not effective enough for the running post. I feel like he may make a good utility... needs to add more run to his game. Would like to see him have a stint up forward, crash a few packs.

Milera: Has all the tools. Doesn't seem to work enough on the ground. Lacks discipline, doesn't run to the right places and often hopes the ball will bounce his way. Doesn't seem as willing to put his body on the line. I feel like on talent, he's there and that he can still make it. Howevrt, I also reckon he's one of those players who only their best is good enough

Gwilt: Had a good 2010. Make whatever excuse you like, he has been average for while now. For mine, he's fallen behind a number of players as a tall back. Needs to reinvent himself but no longer good enough.

Wright: Looking really good. Will probably play back mostly whilst pushing into the midfield

Saunders: Is a real goer. Seems best placed to be our FP this season.

Dunstan: Seems to have already cemented himself our as starting center. May need to remind ourselves not to get ahead.

Maister: Works hard, trains well, good attitude. Runs to the right spots, works really well with the other forwards, good shot at goal, gets his hands on the ball, good on the lead... always seems like he is about to do something good but doesn't. The guy simply hasn't improved in his 2 years. His best is good enough but he needs to get better

Dunnell: No clear position to play. Needs to go up forward where he has played his best so far and roll the dice

Shenton: Not spoken of highly

Acres: No nothing about him.

Minchington: Has his fans

Pierce: Seems injured a lot

Templeton: Had one really impressive game. Look good

Weller: Haven't seen a lot.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I'll give this a go.

Where our list is at...

Hickey: Seems to have improved as a tap ruckman. Has some mongrel in the sense that he tackles well. No obvious position other than the ruck at the moment. Probably needs to have more influence around the ground to cement himself at the team's primary ruck. He's not there yet but seems to have improved markedly. Feel like he will establish himself in the 22 by season's end.

Siposs: An enigma. He played ok early after being drafted as a medium forward and clearly seems suited to that type of role. Has shown a bit of flair and beautiful kicking w/o really any other standouts to his game. Following on from that, he has been moved back and forward w/o I feel a clear plan on how to develop his game. From what I gather, the only plan has been to increase his aerobic fitness. His backs up against the wall now as the time has come to make a decision on him and he needs to produce. We have no sense of what his best position is and I believe he has been injured over the pre-season and will be starting from behind. Is a worry.

Steven: Our best mid. I don't think he fits into the elite category and I don't know that he ever will as his disposal is a bit iffy at times... still an 80-90% grade midfielder

Jones: I've been a skeptic since mid 2010. To me he is an excellent club man, hard worker, great example for the kids etc but an average midfielder and now a subpar tagger. He's one of the older players on our list, not going to get any better and has been in steady decline for a while... would rather player Eli or Mave. See very little positive of playing him.

Savage: Haven't seem him. Reports say he is classy and fast. Sounds like he's a walk up start for our HFF. May be the type of player that looks better in a good team and likely to be exposed a bit more this season.

Ross: HAd a few really good games last season and looked like a really good bigger bodied mid. Then disappeared. Reports indicative of a real lack of urgency, laziness and all round ineffectivness. Is a real worry. We really need to throw everything we have at him, would be a massive win for us if he becomes the type of a player he has at tiimes (rarely I know) teased us into thinking he will become.

Hayes: North of 30 and likely to get shown up a bit more this season but is an excellent player and will have some big games.

TDL: He's very odd. Plays as small forward but isn't very opportunistic. As an outside midfielder, doesn't get much of it, and isn't very damaging. Can't figure out his game. Not good enough for mine. WOuld have preferred to keep Ledger.

Tom Lee: Looks promising as a key forward and took steps in the second half of the season to cement himself in the best 22. His issue is a lack of size and strength resulting in his getting shut out of games. Looks more like a second tall forward rather than the key forward. Needs a good run with injury. A poor pre-season will pbly see him take a few steps back over the first few games with an expectation for marked improvement later in the year.

Markworth: Have not seen him play nor have I heard many promising match reports but the consistent feedback is he is highly rated. Don't know where he fits.

Montagna: GUN

Riewoldt: I love him

Schnieder: A player who's reputation has always surpassed his output at our club. Has all the tools to be a very damaging player but is either out injured, or fades out of games to often. Could be a massive asset for us this season and a key part of getting some unexpected wins, but I shant hold ny breath.

Geary: Def a starting 22 player but I'm a little unclear of how he should be used. In the past has been an effective medium to small back but now seems to be playing further up the ground. Is that because they think he could be a good mid, or he needs to as we have other developing players that can play down back.
Seems to have a lot of critics on here. Not sure what the ideal outcome with him is.

Billings: Has been injured so haven't seen much of him. General sense is that he has demonstarated those excellent skills we have heard so much about. The hope would be that he would start to play a bit more in the second half of the season and show us a lot of glimpses.

Newnes: I struggle with Newnes. He's one player that in the games I've gone to, hasn't done a lot ever but match reports often speak glowingly of him. Seems like a starting 22 player however I would hope to see him be much more consistent by seasons end.

Roberton: Would like to see him recapture his earlier form from last season. A player that has all the attributes to be an excellent HBF. He's one of these players that has the potential to be a near A-Grade player but could also get through his career as a b-grade average player in a lousy team, or fall away quickly. I hope we get package A.

White: Injuries have made this difficult. Needs to demonstrate by seasons end that he is worth persevering with. Wouldn't expect many games/

Gilbert: Hasn't been great since 2010. He should be a near elite player for us but a combination of injuries, poor exposure/use, off-field dramas etc have seen him have several poor seasons in a row. Looked close to getting back to his best last season. A decision needs to be made on him by seasons end... is he a player that will play good football for us again or are we better cutting our losses and getting what we can.

Armitage: We've been waiting for him to go from a b-grade mid, to one that is amongst the best. Has looked good in the preseason. I feel like he might take a step this year.

Delaney: Will be our starting full back. Hopefully will be viewed as a good pick rather than a GOP in an average team.

Ray: Older and inconsistent. Very talented but needs to be playing good football otherwise no point playing him.

Longer: Watch this space. Looks to be on ever ground with Hickey and Stanley as the first ruck

Dempster: Seems to be in decline and had issues with fitness. Hopefully will bounce back.

Fisher: Not sure RE his fitness. Really needs to play as a HBF rather than a key back which IMO he really doesn't do that well in. On a flank, with Delaney and Bruce holding the key spots and Gilbert opposite him, we suddenly look pretty good coming in/out of defence.

Curran: Looked like an up coming star by the end of last season. Seems to have fallen back to the pack in the off-season. Had an average pre-season last year as well. Will start in the top 22 and hopefully continue improving.

Bruce: The reports are he may not be ready to start as a key back which was disappointing. Hopefully he gets there by seasons end.

Stanley: Looks okay in the center. Has a good jump. Simply has no presence in his game. Needs mongrel and needs to start taking more marks both around the ground and up forward. Seems as though he's not good enough.

Webster: Will start in the best 22 and hopefully be well and truly cemented after 6-7 rounds

Murdoch: Okay 1st season. Seems to lack a bit of class but has potential. Need to see more of him

Simpkin: Clearly has the tools but doesn't seem suited to any one position. I like him but he's too small for a key back post and not effective enough for the running post. I feel like he may make a good utility... needs to add more run to his game. Would like to see him have a stint up forward, crash a few packs.

Milera: Has all the tools. Doesn't seem to work enough on the ground. Lacks discipline, doesn't run to the right places and often hopes the ball will bounce his way. Doesn't seem as willing to put his body on the line. I feel like on talent, he's there and that he can still make it. Howevrt, I also reckon he's one of those players who only their best is good enough

Gwilt: Had a good 2010. Make whatever excuse you like, he has been average for while now. For mine, he's fallen behind a number of players as a tall back. Needs to reinvent himself but no longer good enough.

Wright: Looking really good. Will probably play back mostly whilst pushing into the midfield

Saunders: Is a real goer. Seems best placed to be our FP this season.

Dunstan: Seems to have already cemented himself our as starting center. May need to remind ourselves not to get ahead.

Maister: Works hard, trains well, good attitude. Runs to the right spots, works really well with the other forwards, good shot at goal, gets his hands on the ball, good on the lead... always seems like he is about to do something good but doesn't. The guy simply hasn't improved in his 2 years. His best is good enough but he needs to get better

Dunnell: No clear position to play. Needs to go up forward where he has played his best so far and roll the dice

Shenton: Not spoken of highly

Acres: No nothing about him.

Minchington: Has his fans

Pierce: Seems injured a lot

Templeton: Had one really impressive game. Look good

Weller: Haven't seen a lot.

So going by the savage report you havnt seen a single nab cup of intra club game

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad post, skeptic, but Spencer White? He's had one year on the list and is 19.5 years old. Do you really expect him to be a superstar so early in his career?

I reckon he gets three more years on the list minimum even if he doesn't show anything. Reassess at the end of 2016.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hi Skeptic

Interesting read?

You have a lot of guys playing at HB?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh,

And the OP wasn't really about individuals themselves..... So the typical defensive attacks weren't required really

That is the next level of analysis, bit like skeptic did

It was more of an overall lista Analysis, just to see who has demonstrated they can actually perform at the level ATM

It will change as the year progresses....

But as we stand, we have many players within ? Marks as indicated..... And our off season will again be interesting?

How do you reckon clist managers decide
Untouchables, trade bait..... Both must be AFL standard or likely
Continue to persevere ..... Must have improved or shown something
Delisted ....... Not up to it, not improved

kimberly saint
Club Player

how has bruce been traveling have not read much on him , is he injured or in the twos ?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:how has bruce been traveling have not read much on him , is he injured or in the twos ?

Someone suggested they won't happy with his fitness base. He is more of a longer term project anyway I think. Not really worried yet as Delaney was always going to FB and we can probably cover the rest of the backline.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:They should try and get three inside 20 next year, and another two inside 50.... And a good trade
Again... You spend 4 months crying about McEvoy and Dal Santo, but now you are suggesting we do it again?

We got 3 picks inside 20 (plus savage, longer & Delaney), by trading out 2 players with high currency... Which you were dead against. Will you complain if we do similar again?

Unbelievable.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BM, you need to get hickey with it...