Eli

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Eli

remboy wrote:
Probably due to his size. Clubs can outsmart themselves sometimes. Aussie Jones slipped through to the70s because he was considered too small.
Agree with this - Recruiters obsessed with height. I watched GWS reserves on Sat night and they were pretty much all tall. Hardly anyone under 185cm.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Except Toby Green... Who is a good player for them

Aussie was Pick 48... And I agree, recruiters obsessed with qualities overlook the obvious... Can he dominate a game of footy

Check out the draft history of
Brent Harvey
Tony Liberatore
Sam Mitchell
Allen Christianson
Matthew Stokes
Stephen Milne
Adam Schnieder
Daniel Kerr
Ben McGlynn
Eddie Betts
Ian Callinan
David Rodan

All either slid or were overlooked... Stupidly

There are heaps more

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Except Toby Green... Who is a good player for them

Aussie was Pick 48... And I agree, recruiters obsessed with qualities overlook the obvious... Can he dominate a game of footy

Check out the draft history of
Brent Harvey
Tony Liberatore
Sam Mitchell
Allen Christianson
Matthew Stokes
Stephen Milne
Adam Schnieder
Daniel Kerr
Ben McGlynn
Eddie Betts
Ian Callinan
David Rodan

All either slid or were overlooked... Stupidly

There are heaps more
Jacob Chisari
Ben Cavarra
George Cameron
Alex Benbow
Jackson Sketcher
Anton Woods
Farran Priest
Fortunato Caruso
Mungara Brown
Derek Murray
Paul Hood

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So small players don't make it?!... Just like Tall Ones... Josh Dicketts, David Gourdis, Luke Molan?!

My point was missed

It's that small players can make it... And have a huge impact

Most of those players have been drafted below their junior achievements and proven beyond doubt they could be elite AFL footballers

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I understood your point. You were saying that players who have a proven ability to dominate footy should get a chance, regardless of their size. The list of names I posted were Morrish Medal winners - proven ability to dominate - who are less than 180cm and just not big enough to make it at the highest level. You said recruiters overlook the obvious, well, sometimes they're right to do so.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just not big enough to make it?

What does it have to do with size? Brent Harvey is 168cm... Being a gunAFL footballer is just something few are capable of... Dominating at Junior level doesn't at all make it a certainty, but is just an indicator they can play footy?
But it is not size that is the quality that allows them to take the step.

Or Morrish Medals?

Some players just don't make it.... Same with Tall gun athletes, like Steven Gaertner. And Jarryd Grant (pick 5)

There is one commonality.... Stars were all guns...regardless of size

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Harvey is 172 cm.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Eli would be wasted being played as a small forward his whole career. He's got elite endurance. 15.3 beep test and 10m5s 3k time trial at last years draft combine. Partly explains why he's playing senior footy and was upgraded. His fitness was ready to go.
Why was he effectively pick 75 odd in the draft?
Obviously clubs didn't rate him or at least rated others higher. It's not only footy talent that clubs look at. Perhaps he didn't interview well? That aspect may have been overlooked for top end talent however with someone like Templeton, who was likely rated as a mid range selection, it may have made all the difference in considering him as draftable.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I've heard that our mob did rate Eli... top 25(!)

However, we didn't have another pick after 18. We couldn't believe it that he was still there in the rookie draft. :shock:

Can any of the Saintsationalists confirm that?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I've heard that our mob did rate Eli... top 25(!)

However, we didn't have another pick after 18. We couldn't believe it that he was still there in the rookie draft. :shock:

Our head recruiter, Tony Elshaug was quoted in the media saying it (top 30 prospect). It's been mentioned numerous times on here as well as BF.

Just on my previous post, obviously other clubs rated him differently and our draft wound up early on at pick 19.

doggerel
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:There's a bit of Daisy Thomas about him.
Absolutely.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Beekay
SS Life Member

What I like about him is that he looks determined. Almost unsatisfied, even when he's done well.

I don't think he's at all happy to just be a handy player....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yep true,...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Every club who got a player rated them better than what they got them at. Even pick one was rated better than that.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Thanks Old Mate, and thanks Sting, for the confirmations.

Thanks Pluggs for the contrarian POV... can always count on you. (But I still reckon, pop out to Moorabbin airport... and look up. :P )

:D :D & :D

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Thanks Old Mate, and thanks Sting, for the confirmations (and corrections :wink: ).

Thanks Pluggs for the contrarian POV... can always count on you. (But I still reckon, pop out to Moorabbin airport... and look up. :P )

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:

Our head recruiter, Tony Elshaug was quoted in the media saying it (top 30 prospect). It's been mentioned numerous times on here as well as BF.

Just on my previous post, obviously other clubs rated him differently and our draft wound up early on at pick 19.
And I don't think too many on here rated him that highly either.

As I recall, on the day of the Rookie Draft there was a lot of panic regarding rumours going around that Melbourne were going to gazump us by taking Maverick Weller at pick 1. Don't seem to recall many sweating on Eli lasting; it was all about the Mav.

Luckily it looks like those at the club knew what they were doing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Thanks Old Mate, and thanks Sting, for the confirmations.

It was obviously a joke. maybe a poor one. You need to explain Moorabbin airport thing. Been past it many many times but dont have clue what it has to do with footy. great place to catch a plane to Barnboogle though.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

It was obviously a joke. maybe a poor one. You need to explain Moorabbin airport thing. Been past it many many times but dont have clue what it has to do with footy. great place to catch a plane to Barnboogle though.
Hi Pluggs, I'm not a Saintsationlist who has an issue with poor jokes nor contrarian PsOV... in fact, to the contrary... :oops:

Moorabbin airport? Ok, I'll play along. If you look up, you will see that humans can fly. However, when that belief was originally expressed by Wilbur and Orville...

Now, building on that theme of everything's impossible... till it becomes possible...

Junction Oval... dare to dream... patience... watch that space... :idea:

Very different topic, but some parallels too... take it away Kev, Paul and the Tiddas... 8-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... WK2lrNuND8

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hi Pluggs, I'm not a Saintsationlist who has an issue with poor jokes nor contrarian PsOV... in fact, to the contrary... :oops:

Moorabbin airport? Ok, I'll play along. If you look up, you will see that humans can fly. However, when that belief was originally expressed by Wilbur and Orville...

Now, building on that theme of everything's impossible... till it becomes possible...

Junction Oval... dare to dream... patience... watch that space... :idea:

Very different topic, but some parallels too... take it away Kev, Paul and the Tiddas... 8-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... WK2lrNuND8

Simple answer. 200 million and the AFL dont want it. Dave jump on something else. it seems you are contrary one on this topic.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Junction oval it is then.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Every club who got a player rated them better than what they got them at. Even pick one was rated better than that.
Yep, our recruiters really stuffed up. Can't believe they let Boyd go through to pick one.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
mick13
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

This is always the case. But I do believe one of our recruiters made this statement prior to the rookie draft. As in just after the NAB Draft they mentioned they had their eyes on someone who slipped through and they rated him highly.

Makes sense that they were talking about Eli. Now they could have said that because they were certain they could grab him at RD #3 anyway. But the fact he mentioned it before we actually drafted Eli makes me think this is one of the more honest 'we rated him much higher' comments.

saint6709
Club Player

How impressive is this kid?? - surely our next rising star nominee

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-0 ... ap-for-eli

“And it’s partly Templeton’s exceptional running ability that makes him a highly valued member of St Kilda’s line-up and appreciated by his teammates. His aerobic capacity allows the Tasmanian to get to more contests than most, a fact that was illustrated in the data collected following St Kilda’s game against the Eagles.

He was the hardest worker on the weekend and ran 18kms,” Richardson said. “His high intensity stuff was really strong which is great for a young kid. It was a big ground and slightly warmer, but it doesn’t seem to faze him.”

FQF
SS Life Member

saint6709 wrote:How impressive is this kid?? - surely our next rising star nominee

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-04-0 ... ap-for-eli

“And it’s partly Templeton’s exceptional running ability that makes him a highly valued member of St Kilda’s line-up and appreciated by his teammates. His aerobic capacity allows the Tasmanian to get to more contests than most, a fact that was illustrated in the data collected following St Kilda’s game against the Eagles.

He was the hardest worker on the weekend and ran 18kms,” Richardson said. “His high intensity stuff was really strong which is great for a young kid. It was a big ground and slightly warmer, but it doesn’t seem to faze him.”
That is a phenomenal performance for a second game rookie. Once this kid adds that little bit of know-how to his game that will only come with experience, he could be elite. He's quick, clean disposal, incredibly fit - has all the tools.