Question regarding Leigh Montagna.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Question regarding Leigh Montagna.

Oops our fourth round pick to them.
Same answer

I would hope that we would be trading away our second round pick early twenties, our third round pick around 40 and fourth round pick around 60 to get a first round pick in the teens.
We need to get less picks but more first round picks and use them wisely rather than the scatter gun approach of fingers crossed guesses with multiple later draft picks.
We don't need our list full of mediocre players hoping to make it.
We need a list with star players.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Look at how bj was in tears again the other night when the team that bought him played us.

It means a great deal to these St.Kilda stalwarts to be a one club player.

Joey is a Saints man through and through and should never be traded, especially to Essendon, the team that citywest as nexus-nick said he was off to support in about 2005.

I dont understand why, if he was truly a Saints supporter he want to trade all of our Saints club champions.

AS BM said do you want a success story like bj or Cripps in WCE?

I agree we need more top end talent especially in the mids and a Key Position forward.

Our ruck stock are finally fixed, with the emerging talent of Hickey and Longer as a baby and developing well.

Our backs look to be getting settled with Delaney and Bruce coming in as Fisher and others depart. Plenty of depth there.

But we need a Key Forward, Stanley is starting toshow some form, Lee well Lee is a really iffy selection, White is a million miles off, and Maister....well will never be anything but a bit player.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

It's all about balance. We had an aging list so we were happy to let a couple of our older players go if it accelerated our acquisition of younger talent. With every experienced player that leaves we would be less willing to release another experienced player.
Having already seen Goddard and Dal Santo leave and with the likes of Kosi, Blake and Milne retiring, the club won't want Montagna to go given that Hayes, Riewoldt and Fisher will retire sooner rather than later. There's no point having a list full of 18 year olds when there's no experience around them.
Unless we're offered something pretty extraordinary I wouldn't think Montagna is going anywhere.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Look at how bj was in tears again the other night when the team that bought him played us.

Joey is a Saints man through and through and should never be traded, especially to Essendon, the team that citywest as nexus-nick said he was off to support in about 2005.

I dont understand why, if he was truly a Saints supporter he want to trade all of our Saints club champions.

I agree we need more top end talent especially in the mids and a Key Position forward.

Our ruck stock are finally fixed, with the emerging talent of Hickey and Longer as a baby and developing well.

Our backs look to be getting settled with Delaney and Bruce coming in as Fisher and others depart. Plenty of depth there.

But we need a Key Forward, Stanley is starting toshow some form, Lee well Lee is a really iffy selection, White is a million miles off, and Maister....well will never be anything but a bit player.
Im not defending city west - but spare me pulling of the heart strings.
It was just a hypothetical - and i dont think anyone in the entire comp would not accept a first round pick for a 31yo.
But as I said - its highly unlikely and I cant think of it ever happening in AFL draft/trade history - certainly not for a midfielder.

So yes - if someone was silly enough to offer a first round pick for a 31yo midfielder- id take it (I reckon Pelchen would too). I cant see how bj being 'in tears' is relevant.
OF course the clubs needs heart and soul - but this needs to be balanced with having heart and soul in the future.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Look at how bj was in tears again the other night when the team that bought him played us.

It was just a hypothetical - and i dont think anyone in the entire comp would not accept a first round pick for a 31yo.
But as I said - its highly unlikely and I cant think of it ever happening in AFL draft/trade history - certainly not for a midfielder.

So yes - if someone was silly enough to offer a first round pick for a 31yo midfielder- id take it (I reckon Pelchen would too). I cant see how bj being 'in tears' is relevant.
OF course the clubs needs heart and soul - but this needs to be balanced with having heart and soul in the future.
You wouldn't see how it is relevant as you haven't spent more than a decade at the one football club.

Was Max a sook when he cried when the Saints lost? Mooney? What about Roo when he was injured first game as captain.

The reason most of these players are elite, is not just skill, but passion for the game, and that translates to passion for the club by many of the players, bj being one.

It has all the relevance in the world. However I would also say you are spot on and nobody would take Joey for a first round dp.

Must admit if we want more top enders we need to do a Mac trade to get it. Considering our "relative" strength in defence, maybe a Gilbert, would have some currency.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

You wouldn't see how it is relevant as you haven't spent more than a decade at the one football club.

Was Max a sook when he cried when the Saints lost? Mooney? What about Roo when he was injured first game as captain.

The reason most of these players are elite, is not just skill, but passion for the game, and that translates to passion for the club by many of the players, bj being one.

It has all the relevance in the world. However I would also say you are spot on and nobody would take Joey for a first round dp.

Must admit if we want more top enders we need to do a Mac trade to get it. Considering our "relative" strength in defence, maybe a Gilbert, would have some currency.
what are you talking about?
You are just yelling at clouds now.
who said anyone was a sook?
You just made that up and then argued against it.

I love seeing a grown man cry. I dont want all the players to be robots and mercenaries like in other sports.
but in the highly unusual and unlikely event someone wanted to trade a first round pick for a 31yo midfielder you would have to consider it. Itd be sad but probably just too good to refuse.
wont happen anyways.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

you obviously didn't understand my point

Oh well ever mind, as long as we dont get any of them soft city boys with our pick, then I'll be happy.

Lance or James??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Silly, silly stuff....

If Leigh wants out, yes facilitate a trade... But what reason would we have to offload him? He would not attract a first round selection... Good teams don't throw away first round picks unless they are ensured 5 years of quality service.

SW said only a few good things in his time at StK

One was this....

He said that young players see how we treat out champions and veterans .... And this helps mould what they think of the club, whether they respect it... If they see loyalty, if they see respect... They might return those two values

If they see a culture of players being sold off for a perceived better deal... Players they like, players who are mates, mentors... Are they likely to stay or take the best offer they receive? .... You need to be loyal, to expect it

Joey through 12 years of great service.... Deserves to remain a saint if he wishes at an agreed price and term.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:you obviously didn't understand my point

Oh well ever mind, as long as we dont get any of them soft city boys with our pick, then I'll be happy.
No I didnt get your point because it was poorly explained and off topic.

And there you go again trying to flame me with something off topic.
Go back to yelling at clouds.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:you obviously didn't understand my point

No I didnt get your point because it was poorly explained and off topic.

And there you go again trying to flame me with something off topic.
Go back to yelling at clouds.

citywest

I agree, nobody would give a first round DP for a 31 year old but guess what???? That is not what I stated. Montagna plus our third round DP for their first round DP. I reckon apart from the premier this year, the other 3 top 4 teams would seriously look at this deal.....I really do. And if one of them said yes then I reckon we would be mad not to do it. Yes, we would be losing another great experienced player but that would be offset by all our other players being another year older :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Would you agree to trading him if say a top 4 team came to us and said they would give us their first pick in the draft in exchange for Montagna and our fourth round pick?
In a word......no

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

It would send the wrong message to our younger players to get rid of Joey!

PADDLEPOP1000
stinger
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
citywest wrote:Would you agree to trading him if say a top 4 team came to us and said they would give us their first pick in the draft in exchange for Montagna and our fourth round pick?
For sure and I reckon Pelchen would too in a heartbeat.
But when was the last time someone traded a first round pick for a 31yo?
But I'm saying that we would give them our 4th round pick as well as Montagna. So if we finish 16th then that would be pick 59 and Montagna for say pick 18. Maybe it should be Joey and our 3rd round pick which could be 41.....So, Montagna and pick 41 to a top 4 team for their first pick which would be around 14. I would do it.....Thoughts?

...for a start..it wouldn't be pick 14......gws and the suns both have an extra first round draft compo pick up their sleeves.......the druggies don't have a first round draft pick......but.....the dees could get three first round draft picks without really trying...your pick would more likely be in the twenties....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:

If we can either trade or be compensated for the loss of a Free Agent of one superstar per year (that is over 28 years old), to improve our draft picks then I'm all for it. Even if we still had Goddard, Dal and McEvoy we would still be in the bottom 4.

Rubbish......put those three back in the side and we would be 5 and 1.......and sitting equal first on the ladder......

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Joeys work rate is a great weekly lesson for our young up and comers - so it would need to be a top 10 pick and not a late first round pick - which is a little more speculative. A top 10 pick for a 31 year old is way overs so it's never going to happen.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What about Ball?

PJ
SS Life Member

Basically everyone is on the table but for someone of Joey's calibre the ask would have to be outrageously in our favour.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Joffaboy

Can you prove that CityWest (or his / her previous IDs) is not a saints supporter?

If not, then if you continue to state it as fact, I shall have to consider it a bait.

From reading CityWest's posts in his history he / she has some radical views on the Saints, but as stated so do some of my Saints following friends!

Simon

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:

Joffaboy

Can you prove that CityWest (or his / her previous IDs) is not a saints supporter?

If not, then if you continue to state it as fact, I shall have to consider it a bait.

From reading CityWest's posts in his history he / she has some radical views on the Saints, but as stated so do some of my Saints following friends!

Simon
So you want me to look back through posts to 2005 or 2006 where citywest who was then nexux-nick stated he was going to follow Essendon if the Saints didn't win or do something that they didn't do?????

This is what he said, and has been outed by numerous posters over at bigfooty where he continually trolled the Saints forum amd attempted to start flame wars at every opportunity.

BUT I AM BEING ACCUSED OF BEING A LIAR AND BAITER.

Fair dinkum, you protect serial trolls and flame warriors, but threaten me.

Much of an agenda???? :roll:

Lance or James??

ace
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:What about Ball?
You kick Ball, you punch Ball, you throw Ball at the ground repeatedly.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
citywest

citywest wrote:

Con Gorozidis wrote:

But I'm saying that we would give them our 4th round pick as well as Montagna. So if we finish 16th then that would be pick 59 and Montagna for say pick 18. Maybe it should be Joey and our 3rd round pick which could be 41.....So, Montagna and pick 41 to a top 4 team for their first pick which would be around 14. I would do it.....Thoughts?
...for a start..it wouldn't be pick 14......gws and the suns both have an extra first round draft compo pick up their sleeves.......the druggies don't have a first round draft pick......but.....the dees could get three first round draft picks without really trying...your pick would more likely be in the twenties....

Wrong on all counts Stinger!!!!

I think this was just an emotional reply on your part.
1) GWS and GCS have a compo pick at the End Of the First round.
2) The Dees will not get three first round draft picks.

If we did do the trade I suggested the pick would definitely be around pick 14. If you believe this is wrong then prove it. Just so we are all on the same page below is what I have suggested..........

Montagna and our third round pick (pick 41 probably) to a top 4 team for their first pick which would be around pick 14.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

why do you always wish to get rid of Saints who have stuck fat... and proved enourmous experience for our team-- we cannnot have a team under 25- - natural attrition and injury wtill take age of the top- GWS and GC have not won premierships with teams under 25... we would be no differant
alway amusing when so called ' SUPPORTERS" spend the start of each season''' talking our players out of the club.... :roll:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
citywest wrote:

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Wrong on all counts Stinger!!!!

I think this was just an emotional reply on your part.
1) GWS and GCS have a compo pick at the End Of the First round.
2) The Dees will not get three first round draft picks.

If we did do the trade I suggested the pick would definitely be around pick 14. If you believe this is wrong then prove it. Just so we are all on the same page below is what I have suggested..........

Montagna and our third round pick (pick 41 probably) to a top 4 team for their first pick which would be around pick 14.
you said one of the top 4 teams would do the trade.......their picks will be a lot higher than pick 14 even without that pick blowing out significantly due to free agency compo picks....if melbourne trade watts...and finish last they will get picks 1 and 2...possibly also pick 3 as a priority pick if they don't win anymore games.......gws and the suns have an extra pick each in round one...not sure where....so you are being overly optimistic with your pick 14....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
In a word......no

that's 4 words.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.