Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

suss
Club Player

Re: Gwilt

I don't really care about his speed, one-sidedness etc - those are things he can't control.

What I care about is that he's being playing bruise-free footy for some time now. He doesn't shepherd, doesn't harass, doesn't niggle. He looks like he's out there for a Sunday stroll.

His mum will be stunned to see a blood stain on his jumper this week.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:I don't really care about his speed, one-sidedness etc - those are things he can't control.

What I care about is that he's being playing bruise-free footy for some time now. He doesn't shepherd, doesn't harass, doesn't niggle. He looks like he's out there for a Sunday stroll.

Supposedly Gwilt is tough and a good boxer - but he shows zero aggression on the field and never crunches an opposition player.
Its fine if a chilled out dude - but Id like to see him play a bit more angry. Also he is always looking for the backward pass and the switch. Certainly plays like hes out there for a Sunday picnic.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

he might be sick of injuries Con... that can play on your mind when you're getting to the twilight stage...

think me have a decent future in defenders Wright Webster Bruce.. simpkin if he works on pressure.... where we real issues atm is forward kicking and forward structure atm... our lists kicking efficiency is atrocious.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
pngsaint
Club Player

suss wrote:I don't really care about his speed, one-sidedness etc - those are things he can't control.

His mum is from PNG, would have seen more blood than you will ever see.

wozzahozza

Right, poor career, what a joke.

He was absolutely fantastic for us in 2010, stood up in the GF's.

Did his knee in 2011, and while he may have lost some pace and agility since then, I would say he has been good for us this year. His long kicking has been exceptional at times, he set up a crucial goal against Essendon with a huge kick.

With what is being said about a fair few of them being under the weather, I am willing to cut those that had an unusually poor one a bit of slack today.

ace
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:We had only 25 inside 50s for the game , So our mid - field pressure must have been non-existant .
Gwilt was under the pump all day , but only had 9 disposals , 3 of which were clangers .
the hawks had 42 scoring shots , so how can he be singled out .
Gwilt was injured but the red vest had already been taken by Geary.
Kick a guy when he is injured, he is less likely to be able to respond.
And since when is a guy 188 cm supposed to play tall.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
maverick
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:We had only 25 inside 50s for the game , So our mid - field pressure must have been non-existant .
Gwilt was under the pump all day , but only had 9 disposals , 3 of which were clangers .
Where does he play then?
Who from hawthorn could he have taken yesterday if it wasn't a tall?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He is our 8th most effective player if you use fantasy football scores. He has the 10th most marks in the comp. He is earning his spot every week. Finding scape goats won't make us better.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Gwilt and Simpkin cannot play in the same team together, both undersized backs. Simple as that. Simpkin in younger, and should be in there in front of Jimmy, who to be honest has never really recovered from his knee. I still can't understand how Bruce was dropped, especially with Hale, Roughy etc sitting in that Hawk fwdline...

I just can't see what Jimmy offers the team going forward, his kicking is lauded on here, but he is struggling with that too - he is far from elite and won't be there when we challenge next. Maybe he is showing great leadership out there that we can't see and its good for the inexperienced blokes to learn off him, can't see it though.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:He is our 8th most effective player if you use fantasy football scores. He has the 10th most marks in the comp. He is earning his spot every week. Finding scape goats won't make us better.
The only thing that will make us better is getting games in to kids.

Its one thing to pick the older players if they are performing - another when they aren't competitive anyway.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:Gwilt and Simpkin cannot play in the same team together, both undersized backs. Simple as that. Simpkin in younger, and should be in there in front of Jimmy, who to be honest has never really recovered from his knee. I still can't understand how Bruce was dropped, especially with Hale, Roughy etc sitting in that Hawk fwdline...

I just can't see what Jimmy offers the team going forward, his kicking is lauded on here, but he is struggling with that too - he is far from elite and won't be there when we challenge next. Maybe he is showing great leadership out there that we can't see and its good for the inexperienced blokes to learn off him, can't see it though.
Agree with all of this - particularly the point about Bruce. His defensive work was solid and he had an incredible 93% disposal efficiency in his two games. He has an awkward looking kicking technique but he was consistently hitting targets. A bit different to Gwilt who looks like he has sublime skills but regularly turns it over when put under any pressure.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Simpkin out Bruce in Gwilt fit healthy stays in... i'm still really wondering why bruce was dropped.. rested?

Time for Dunny to come in forward.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:Simpkin out Bruce in Gwilt fit healthy stays in... i'm still really wondering why bruce was dropped.. rested?

I thought cause Simpkin was putting pressure on his spot.

I'm comfortable with this, keeps people hungry, after yesterday....a few more complacent types could do with someone playing in their place.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:Simpkin out Bruce in Gwilt fit healthy stays in... i'm still really wondering why bruce was dropped.. rested?

I thought cause Simpkin was putting pressure on his spot.

I'm comfortable with this, keeps people hungry, after yesterday....a few more complacent types could do with someone playing in their place.
hear u K, glad it was tried but i feel based on Bruces last few he would have been a little better yesterday... maybe simpkin being a smaller for a the issue of the two smaller dawrk forwards... anyway... Simpkin has played well in the past but looked miles off it yesterday.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

You dont rate Roberton?

If fit Roberton has to come in imo.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 04 May 2014 3:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Spot on, Ace. For too long he has had to play against opponents who are 7-10 cm taller than him and significantly heavier. It must wear on his confidence levels. In the end, he's been an in betweener for us. I fear the end could be nigh.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
suss
Club Player

pngsaint wrote:

His mum is from PNG, would have seen more blood than you will ever see.
That is so far from relevant it's embarrassing.

But more importantly, can she lay a shepherd?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Bye Gwilty!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
St Ick wrote:Gwilt and Simpkin cannot play in the same team together, both undersized backs. Simple as that. Simpkin in younger, and should be in there in front of Jimmy, who to be honest has never really recovered from his knee. I still can't understand how Bruce was dropped, especially with Hale, Roughy etc sitting in that Hawk fwdline...

Agree with all of this - particularly the point about Bruce. His defensive work was solid and he had an incredible 93% disposal efficiency in his two games. He has an awkward looking kicking technique but he was consistently hitting targets. A bit different to Gwilt who looks like he has sublime skills but regularly turns it over when put under any pressure.

The difference in pressure in Brisbanes forward line to hawks was like under 9s versus the seniors. Bruce would have made even less difference. Gwilt took a hard hit 2 weeks in a row. He was looking like he wouldn't come up from the week before when he landed heavily. He was again hit hard and had to play out the game. He certainly isn't the cause of our loss. We were out played by a better team who shell shocked us.

Saints43
Club Player

Gwilt must be injured to some degree. There was a contest where he went to ground early on in Saturdays game... I'd get out of a bean bag quicker than he got up.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:Gwilt must be injured to some degree. There was a contest where he went to ground early on in Saturdays game... I'd get out of a bean bag quicker than he got up.
Agree, I think he would of been subbed off injured if that was an option

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt is so slow that it takes him two hours to watch 60 minutes

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
miskycat
Club Player

I really hate these threads.

Mean spirited and nasty.

Gwilt has given stacks to the club. He remains a gutsy player for us down back, especially during these lean times.

Remember how you all used to bag Blake?

P.O. to Richmond, you'll be happier there.

Strength Through Loyalty. Go Saints.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Don't care what he's done.... He was reasonable in 2010... Good in 2011... Since injury has played a couple of good games and a lot of poor ones

Just too slow and provides no defensive pressure

That simple

gringo
Saintsational Legend

miskycat wrote:I really hate these threads.

Mean spirited and nasty.

Gwilt has given stacks to the club. He remains a gutsy player for us down back, especially during these lean times.

Remember how you all used to bag Blake?

P.O. to Richmond, you'll be happier there.

Strength Through Loyalty. Go Saints.

Agree, it's a shitty look bagging your own players.