Time for Roo to move up the ground

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jamesmc
Club Player

Re: Time for Roo to move up the ground

BackFromUSA wrote:Would love to have him play as a wingman pushing back into defence then using his eleite running to be an option as we exit the backline ...
He would get slaughtered.
He can't compete to any reasonable standard, in this era of footy,once the ball hits the ground.
When was the last time you saw him lay a tackle?
Roo in the backline would be like sending Brendan Fevola down back.
Put him on the last line of attack and i'm sure we would all reap the benefits.

supersaints
Club Player

I don't think it's totally the players looking for Roo every time, but he his the only one who provides a moving target. If forwards are not moving.
Roo just ps on giving up leads , others need to take a leaf out of his book.
Too many forwards are static, it's a fact that eyes are automatically drawn like magnets to anything moving, we need other players to become " moving targets"
It's just as important that other forwards leading just to create space for someone else to lead into
I actually think someone like could add to the forward line the way he presents into space.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I don't think move him up the ground. Just provide a credible marking alternative and instructions for players to look for the best option.

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:[

You are right, Roughhead, Hawkins, Petrie and Cloke aren't likely to be moved into the backline either, not unless their coaches start taking LSD.

The Punters that don't go to the footy where when we are likely to get thrashed will probably be under the age of 35 I suspect and don't know much about what it was like to follow the club in the 70s and 80s and most of the 90s.

The rest of your post doesn't make sense.

Why would anyone want to follow a team that gets thrashed, regardless of age?

I DO KNOW what it is like to follow the club through those dark years, 'cuz I did and still have the emotional scars from it, and I won't stand silently by and watch it happen again.

What the hell is wrong with trying some radical moves just to see what happens, especially in games that are beyond hope of winning ??

A definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results, this 'Roocentricity' problem has been around for years, time for some action, I think.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Loyally Numbed wrote:

You are right, Roughhead, Hawkins, Petrie and Cloke aren't likely to be moved into the backline either, not unless their coaches start taking LSD.

The Punters that don't go to the footy where when we are likely to get thrashed will probably be under the age of 35 I suspect and don't know much about what it was like to follow the club in the 70s and 80s and most of the 90s.

I DO KNOW what it is like to follow the club through those dark years, 'cuz I did and still have the emotional scars from it, and I won't stand silently by and watch it happen again.

What the hell is wrong with trying some radical moves just to see what happens, especially in games that are beyond hope of winning ??

A definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results, this 'Roocentricity' problem has been around for years, time for some action, I think.

Mate it's just such a shame you were cut down in your prime by leg issues. It sounds like you would have been a very handy addition to the forward line. I'm assuming you were fairly versatile.

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:

Mate it's just such a shame you were cut down in your prime by leg issues. It sounds like you would have been a very handy addition to the forward line. I'm assuming you were fairly versatile.

Once again, my apologies for not allowing you to celebrate what surely would have been the fruits of my success at the Saints.

But, I guess your obvious ability to deal so well with mediocrity will see U thru.

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:Everyone looks for him, every single time.

He isn't going to be there for ever.

We have zip midfielders goals, nobody pings it on the run from half back anymore, the other forwards may as well not be there.

I'm not blaming him, he is an imposing presence.

However we don't want the next generation to form the same "kick it to Roo" mentality

Thoughts?

Constructive ones please, it's a long term problem that needs a short term solution IMO.
Why take away one of the best players to have ever played CHF and move him up the ground just so players don't look for him. Why ruin the structure , why not just train players to move the ball into the forward line better. I mean as an example our players were kicking it into the forward line where there were 3 Hawks players and no Saints players.
Your example is a bit harsh isn't it?

I mean, those players kicking it to the 3 Hawks players probably were inexperienced, I'd say give them at least another 75 to 80 games to get themselves used to AFL level footy.

You can hardly expect inexperienced players to know not to kick it to opposition defenders can you?

That's something you just don't learn in junior level football, give the young guys a break, you never know in 9 or 10 years 1 of them may become another Blakey.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Loyally Numbed wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

We have zip midfielders goals, nobody pings it on the run from half back anymore, the other forwards may as well not be there.

However we don't want the next generation to form the same "kick it to Roo" mentality

Thoughts?

Constructive ones please, it's a long term problem that needs a short term solution IMO.
Why take away one of the best players to have ever played CHF and move him up the ground just so players don't look for him. Why ruin the structure , why not just train players to move the ball into the forward line better. I mean as an example our players were kicking it into the forward line where there were 3 Hawks players and no Saints players.

I mean, those players kicking it to the 3 Hawks players probably were inexperienced, I'd say give them at least another 75 to 80 games to get themselves used to AFL level footy.

You can hardly expect inexperienced players to know not to kick it to opposition defenders can you?

That's something you just don't learn in junior level football, give the young guys a break, you never know in 9 or 10 years 1 of them may become another Blakey.
Look I'll be honest, I think you are a troll, but I like you, you are adding some youthful color which can be entertaining in small quantities. I hope we see more kids like you join in.

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Thoughts?

Look I'll be honest, I think you are a troll, but I like you, you are adding some youthful color which can be entertaining in small quantities. I hope we see more kids like you join in.
I make a civil inquiry as to why Rooey shouldn't be moved around and you imply I'm insane, and I'm the Troll???

When I state a reason for it, you turn it around like a smart arse, and I'm the Troll??

You make sarcastic remarks regarding my playing ability, and I'm the Troll???

Seeing that you haven't countered any of my well thought out posts in any intelligible way, I guess calling me a 'Troll', and the lame 'kiddy' reference, is just a feeble attempt to discredit anyone that doesn't agree with your way of thinking.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Loyally Numbed wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Thoughts?

I make a civil inquiry as to why Rooey shouldn't be moved around and you imply I'm insane, and I'm the Troll???

When I state a reason for it, you turn it around like a smart arse, and I'm the Troll??

You make sarcastic remarks regarding my playing ability, and I'm the Troll???

Seeing that you haven't countered any of my well thought out posts in any intelligible way, I guess calling me a 'Troll', and the lame 'kiddy' reference, is just a feeble attempt to discredit anyone that doesn't agree with your way of thinking.
Like I said, I like you. I think you will replace some of the much needed passion that has been missing around this place for a while.

I never said "YOU" were insane, I said the idea was insane.

Whilst I admit I can be a sarcastic smart arse at times I doubt you will ever get the opportunity to label me a squealing young girl.

If you go back through this thread you will find my entry for what I present as my arguments as to why Roo should stay at CHF.

I haven't tried to discredit you, you are doing that all by yourself.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I love that SainterK has the fortitude to ask to the tough questions
...in this instance however i feel that any of our solutions to the "kick it to Roo he has 2 on him" problem will fall on deaf ears - Roo plays in the position he wants - Richo just admires the call from the box

Seeya
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:I love that SainterK has the fortitude to ask to the tough questions
...in this instance however i feel that any of our solutions to the "kick it to Roo he has 2 on him" problem will fall on deaf ears - Roo plays in the position he wants - Richo just admires the call from the box
Definitely a ballsy question but I don't know that it's a case of Roo just plays in the position he wants. That sells all involve a little short IMO.

Roo has spent his whole AFL career playing CHF, I don't think it's as simple as just moving him out of that position. There are so many variables involved that just don't make it a logical and straight forward option.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Another option is for Roo to basically play as a stay close to goal as a full forward ala Alister Lynch, and explicitedly told not to do the marathon leading he does every week. I know that takes away his major strength but it gives the room (and responsibility) for the other forwards to learn the art of leading and finding space. Although one on one wrestling and pack splitting isn't necessarily his strength, he's still pretty good at and rarely gets beaten. He will get the ball to ground every time. If explained he needs to do this role for team structure until a young power forward can step up I'm sure he would do it. And it might save his knees a bit!

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:Another option is for Roo to basically play as a stay close to goal as a full forward ala Alister Lynch, and explicitedly told not to do the marathon leading he does every week. I know that takes away his major strength but it gives the room (and responsibility) for the other forwards to learn the art of leading and finding space. Although one on one wrestling and pack splitting isn't necessarily his strength, he's still pretty good at and rarely gets beaten. He will get the ball to ground every time. If explained he needs to do this role for team structure until a young power forward can step up I'm sure he would do it. And it might save his knees a bit!
This sounds good in theory, but it would be impossible to implement in a game situation.

If the ball drops between CHF and FF, just outside of Rooey's 'no go zone', what does he do, just stand there and watch his opponent casually stroll out to the ball?

AFL is to haphazard to expect someone to limit themselves to a small space on thge ground.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Loyally Numbed wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Another option is for Roo to basically play as a stay close to goal as a full forward ala Alister Lynch, and explicitedly told not to do the marathon leading he does every week. I know that takes away his major strength but it gives the room (and responsibility) for the other forwards to learn the art of leading and finding space. Although one on one wrestling and pack splitting isn't necessarily his strength, he's still pretty good at and rarely gets beaten. He will get the ball to ground every time. If explained he needs to do this role for team structure until a young power forward can step up I'm sure he would do it. And it might save his knees a bit!
This sounds good in theory, but it would be impossible to implement in a game situation.

If the ball drops between CHF and FF, just outside of Rooey's 'no go zone', what does he do, just stand there and watch his opponent casually stroll out to the ball?

AFL is to haphazard to expect someone to limit themselves to a small space on thge ground.
Yeah I agree. It's haphazard.

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:

Amost schizophrenic

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Loyally Numbed wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:

Amost schizophrenic
Heltaskelta even. LIke one minute your sucking on a chuppa chup and the next you've got your finger stuck in your ear.

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:

Amost schizophrenic
Heltaskelta even. LIke one minute your sucking on a chuppa chup and the next you've got your finger stuck in your ear.
Appreciate the support, so the backline is the only option really for Rooey,? I guess you're right.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Loyally Numbed wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:

Amost schizophrenic
Appreciate the support, so the backline is the only option really for Rooey,? I guess you're right.
Oh! now I see the merit, less haphazard in the backline.

How are the leg issues going these days. Have you finished rehab?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

We seemed better on the weekend when he was on the bench.

He was on one leg and cant take a contested mark. Think he should retire at years end before he becomes a cripple

You are garbage - Enough said
Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:

Amost schizophrenic
Oh! now I see the merit, less haphazard in the backline.

How are the leg issues going these days. Have you finished rehab?
My ability to define hallucination from reality has improved markedly, so the screaming has been reduced, it's a long road tho.

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

NeXtmess-stringer wrote:We seemed better on the weekend when he was on the bench.

He was on one leg and cant take a contested mark. Think he should retire at years end before he becomes a cripple
I was thinking this last year !!

But this year he has stepped it up a notch, but I fear you are right, he's teetering on the edge of that dilemna that afflicts a lot of champions,

"do I play longer and risk making a fool of myself or do I go sooner while I still got it".

This is why the backline idea has so much merit, the expectations, or the workload, won't be as high and he'll be able to maintain his dignity in the twighlight of his career.

How long is it gonna be before some runny nose young fullback gives him an embarassing, absolute shellacking, and all dignitry will be gone.
Last edited by Loyally Numbed on Fri 16 May 2014 10:33am, edited 1 time in total.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Loyally Numbed wrote:
NeXtmess-stringer wrote:We seemed better on the weekend when he was on the bench.

But this year he has stepped it up a notch, but I fear you are right, he's teetering on the edge of that dilemna that afflicts a lot of champions,

"do I play longer and risk making a fool of myself or do I go sooner while I still got it".

This is why the backline idea has so much merit, the expectations, or the workload, won't be as high and he'll be able to maintain his dignity in the twighlight of his career.

How long is gonna be before some runny nose young fullback gives him an absolute shellacking, and all dignitry will be gone.
I'm actually warming to the idea, the sillier it sounds the less logic it makes but sometimes these types of ideas have very slim chances of working out so I can see why you are running with it.

It could look revolutionary if Roo goes to the backline and Simpkin goes to forward line, it makes complete sense. I'll send an email to AR.

Did you retire at the age of 13 so you wouldn't lose your dignity?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Loyally Numbed wrote:

How long is gonna be before some runny nose young fullback gives him an absolute shellacking, and all dignitry will be gone.
The old tag-team trolling hey?

Give it a rest fellas, you're speaking absolute crap now.

In a rubbish side, he is 4th in the coleman with 22 goals and only 5 behinds, 2nd in the comp for marks averaging 9 per match. He's never been a contested marking player, yet is still in the top 10…

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Loyally Numbed wrote:

I'm actually warming to the idea, the sillier it sounds the less logic it makes but sometimes these types of ideas have very slim chances of working out so I can see why you are running with it.

It could look revolutionary if Roo goes to the backline and Simpkin goes to forward line, it makes complete sense. I'll send an email to AR.

Did you retire at the age of 13 so you wouldn't lose your dignity?

The nuances of sarcasm I'm detecting here, reveal a genuine restistance to idea of Rooey down back, (even sounds good, doesn't it?) Try it, Rooey down back, lol.

Two words, good friend, two words........ 'Let Go'

Just try to let go of that image you have of Rooey in his superstar years, this is the problem you have, you can't accept that's it's nearly over.

I know.... I know, you want just one more screamer, just one more act of insane bravery, just one more wobbly punt sailing thru the behind posts (well maybe not that, but u get the picture)

It's like a drug that you are addicted to, you have to admit this to yourself before you will get better.