Isaac Heeney with pick 1?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Isaac Heeney with pick 1?

I'm seriously thinking this may well be the way to go.

Otherwise would the Crows do Sloane + Jenkins for Pick 1?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Isaac Heeney with pick 1?

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'm seriously thinking this may well be the way to go.

No and No.

Junior
Club Player

Cannot get Heeney he is tied to the swans through their academy. If we bid our first pick they would still get him with their first round choice.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
falka
Club Player

Even if we wanted him with pick 1, Sydney just offer their first pick at say 19.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Sloane + draft pick for Pick 1, i'd take that

Sainter for life.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

No and No.
Why?
You only think we should pick TAC Cup players because you rely on the Herald Sun?

If Heeney tests better than Petracca at the combine - lets go Heeney. He looks the best player.

McCartin is too fat and slow. Wright too risky and Petracca has peaked at 18.

Heeney has all upside.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

No and No.
Why?
You only think we should pick Vic Metro players because you rely on the Herald Sun?

If Heeney tests better than Petracca at the combine - lets go Heeney. He looks the best player.

Heeney has all upside.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No and No.
Why?
You only think we should pick TAC Cup players because you rely on the Herald Sun?

Heeney has all upside.

Con we cant get him thats why. No idea about TAC cup and HS. Sounds like rubbish Con.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No and No.
Why?

Heeney has all upside.

Con we cant get him thats why. No idea about TAC cup and HS. Sounds like rubbish Con.
Just give reasons. Dont be such an arrogant flog that you think you can just say 'no' and thats the end of the debate. LIke you are some oracle.
I dont mind conflicting views - but give some reason.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No and No.
Why?

Heeney has all upside.

Just give reasons. Dont be such an arrogant flog that you think you can just say 'no' and thats the end of the debate. LIke you are some oracle.
I dont mind conflicting views - but give some reason.

I maybe a flog but I think before posting. We offer pick one and Sydney match it so how do we get him? Con can you answer me this why are you suggesting trading pick one?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Heeney is the best pure mid in the draft but more like a pick 3 not a pick 1. Anyway it doesn't matter if we bid with pick 1 cos the Swans will get him with pick 18 or thereabouts.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

i am agaist trading pick one. sloane will not help us atm. we're to far gone. it's a going to be a long slow road back.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I'm a little reluctant about McCartin as well. He has a lot of work to do in terms of getting an AFL ready body. His efforts in chasing and second efforts in the recent carnival, also casts some doubt how quickly he would adjust. I'd prefer Durdin, to be honest, a Roo/Westhoff type who offers more than McCartin, who is very one dimensional.

In a perfect world, I'd rather move pick one on for someone like Patton. I've heard the pelican would bundle up pick one and twenty, with Armo, for Patton and another frustrated GWS player, such as O'Rourke, plus their first pick, probably number 4 at this stage. We'd love Sheil, but he is likely to want to go to a club that is already in contention.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I maybe a flog but I think before posting. We offer pick one and Sydney match it so how do we get him? Con can you answer me this why are you suggesting trading pick one?
yes - it makes you a flog.
Explain the rule.

If we offer pick 1 - its pretty fricking clear the Swans will use their pick 17 on him.
It leaves us in a shocking position. Worst year to have pick 1 ever.

Swans could win the flag and then end up with pick 1 if we decided we wanted Heeney.

Just shocking luck for us.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:I'm a little reluctant about McCartin as well. He has a lot of work to do in terms of getting an AFL ready body. His efforts in chasing and second efforts in the recent carnival, also casts some doubt how quickly he would adjust. I'd prefer Durdin, to be honest, a Roo/Westhoff type who offers more than McCartin, who is very one dimensional.

In a perfect world, I'd rather move pick one on for someone like Patton. I've heard the pelican would bundle up pick one and twenty, with Armo, for Patton and another frustrated GWS player, such as O'Rourke, plus their first pick, probably number 4 at this stage. We'd love Sheil, but he is likely to want to go to a club that is already in contention.
if that goes through, Lee and Stanley could be out? think so?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
yes - it makes you a flog.
Explain the rule.

If we offer pick 1 - its pretty fricking clear the Swans will use their pick 17 on him.
It leaves us in a shocking position. Worst year to have pick 1 ever.

Swans could win the flag and then end up with pick 1 if we decided we wanted Heeney.

Just shocking luck for us.
They offer their first round so they get him. It isnt that hard. The number of the pick makes no difference. Exactly the same as father son. Not sure im a flog if you dont understand the rule. Now you have also answered the reason for why the crows would trade Slone and jenkins for pick one. See Con it wasnt that hard. You knew exactly why I said no and no. And they cant get pick one off us for heeney

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So discuss it and dont be a flog! I stand corrected. We cant get him. The extension to that discussion is it is a very crap year to get pick 1. Clearly no stand-out player and one of the genuine top 1 contenders is a NSW player.

Hopefully there is a stand out at the Draft testing.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So discuss it and dont be a flog! I stand corrected. We cant get him. The extension to that discussion is it is a very crap year to get pick 1. Clearly no stand-out player and one of the genuine top 1 contenders is a NSW player.

Another stand out player in Moore will go to Collingwood as a father son pick.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:So discuss it and dont be a flog! I stand corrected. We cant get him. The extension to that discussion is it is a very crap year to get pick 1. Clearly no stand-out player and one of the genuine top 1 contenders is a NSW player.

So thats why I said Adelaide wont do the trade you suggested. Not sure it makes me a flog for answering your question. You didnt say we had to say why it was a yes or no answer.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Hi Con, like your good self, I really rate those two Crone's players, but at the start of next season they will be 25 & 26 respectively.

I believe that we will again be right up there and (very) seriously challenging... from 2018... when they'll be 29 & 30.

What I'm saying is that I'm all for doing the kind of deal that you suggest, but right now is too soon for us.

(We don't want to do a Carlscum and go way too as they did with Judd. They may have won easily today, but we are actually way-yay far closer to a flag than they are. :idea: And their continuing to tie-up cap space with an aging Judd, a deteriorating Daisy, an overrated Krueser, combined with their missed chances to offload Squibbs and that front-runner Yarran... shows they have learnt nothing. Quite laughable I reckon.)

Anyway, back on topic...

Con, I think that we need you to send your excellent trade-deal ideas to the Pelican, but just keep your powder dry (Pluggs-style) till the 2015/2016 trading periods and beyond. That's when your kind of thinking will be a winner for us.

(And don't limit your creativity to the main draft Con. Remember, we have sorted our salary cap so can go raiding in the preseason draft and via free agency. The Pelican and Bainsy have set us up nicely, so work your magic Con... but just not quite yet. :) )

One question though Con. What have you seen/heard to make you think that Petracca has peaked? From my uninformed perspective he's the man that I want us to draft.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:Heeney is the best pure mid in the draft but more like a pick 3 not a pick 1. Anyway it doesn't matter if we bid with pick 1 cos the Swans will get him with pick 18 or thereabouts.
Sucks how they might win the flag and still get one of the best players. Maybe we should all start following League and not turn up to games and the AFL might skew the rules back in our favour...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Heeney is the best pure mid in the draft but more like a pick 3 not a pick 1. Anyway it doesn't matter if we bid with pick 1 cos the Swans will get him with pick 18 or thereabouts.

... if thats the case ... we (or someone) need to bid for him
to force the swannettes to take him with their 1st round pick.
Yes ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Sucks how they might win the flag and still get one of the best players. Maybe we should all start following League and not turn up to games and the AFL might skew the rules back in our favour...
It's madness. But they also got Tippett and Buddy.

It's a crooked system.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I'm a little reluctant about McCartin as well. He has a lot of work to do in terms of getting an AFL ready body. His efforts in chasing and second efforts in the recent carnival, also casts some doubt how quickly he would adjust. I'd prefer Durdin, to be honest, a Roo/Westhoff type who offers more than McCartin, who is very one dimensional.

To me those mobile westhoff style forwards are already in abundance, Rhys, spencer White and lee. We need johnny Patton or a hulk and mc carton might provide that somewhat better.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Principle of Q'uo wrote:

... if thats the case ... we (or someone) need to bid for him
to force the swannettes to take him with their 1st round pick.
Yes ?
I don't think we will bid on him however other clubs with picks before the Swans certainly will. They will most definitely have to use their first pick on Heeney however they are still getting a bargain having access to a top 5 draft prospect for a pick around 18.