Cheersquad-CRISIS POINT? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Re: Cheersquad-CRISIS POINT? !!

gringo wrote:I sit near them some times and cringe although i like ground level because it feels like the old days. They are definitely territorial and look at you if you cheer too loud. But if your happy with "another one just like the other one gaol goal goal" you're all good? I kind of like watching them though it's a bizarre world from the past that you don't see any where else. I'm not an a hole...welll a little bit, but they are an unfortunate bunch of people. But then so are all other CSs.

We sat a couple of rows back from the cheer squad at Metricon against the Suns and it really was embarrassing as the old sheila got up with " Give us another one " cry ...
Was like being at a kids final with some mums/grandmothers belting out the same stuff.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I was in standing room behind the CS on Sunday. A mate of mine commented on them saying "they look like a little kids' cheer squad, waving their miniature flags". Couldn't disagree with that observation.

Sounds like a lot have jumped off the bandwagon since our post 2010 decline. Rather than trying to an elite or "cool" group or whatever, I suggest getting kids involved who need to get out and about, instead of staying at home on their computers. I was in the CS from around '89 - '93. It was all about having fun back then. They were more than happy to have people join in with the banner making on Friday nights and have those willing to hold up the banner before the match help out. Perhaps you can try to arrange social events where you could arrange for players to be present? Parents with younger children should also be encouraged to join. Be creative with chants and songs. But most importantly - have some fun and cheer your lungs out for the mighty Sainters!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Bring back the cut up phone books and the streamers! (Remember the old footage where the full back had to pick his way through the streamers in the goal square before kicking in after a point?
Hahaha loved the old days when you'd guillotine up the phone books to create "snow" for the game. All that confetti blowing and shrouding around the flags and floggers after a goal would look awesome on TV. Then you'd get a few cashier rolls from the newsagent to throw as streamers. You would aim it at the top of the goal post and if the wind was was headed your end, it would wrap around the top of it and stay up there for ages. The things the kids are missing out on nowadays. Good times!

thesaint3
Club Player

Every game my kids and myself look over at the cs and say how perthitic.How many are there 20/30 if you lucky..

Skildir
Club Player

Last edited by Skildir on Sat 17 Jun 2017 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:I was in standing room behind the CS on Sunday. A mate of mine commented on them saying "they look like a little kids' cheer squad, waving their miniature flags". Couldn't disagree with that observation.

Sounds like a lot have jumped off the bandwagon since our post 2010 decline. Rather than trying to an elite or "cool" group or whatever, I suggest getting kids involved who need to get out and about, instead of staying at home on their computers. I was in the CS from around '89 - '93. It was all about having fun back then. They were more than happy to have people join in with the banner making on Friday nights and have those willing to hold up the banner before the match help out. Perhaps you can try to arrange social events where you could arrange for players to be present? Parents with younger children should also be encouraged to join. Be creative with chants and songs. But most importantly - have some fun and cheer your lungs out for the mighty Sainters!
I reckon my kids (all 10 and under), would love to join the CS.

If it was properly run and managed I'd consider it for their benefit and enjoyment of the game.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

I have no answers.
But I'll be in the cs Sunday and cheering on the Len dog with a few frothies.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:I have no answers.
But I'll be in the cs Sunday and cheering on the Len dog with a few frothies.

...and popcorn!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote:Well soon we won't need a cheer squad as the way things are headed the scoreboard will be orchestrating us making noise, dancing, singing (in American voices?).
Led by dickheads like that Sherry bloke - a prostitute for hire - who was there at the G yesterday in his Richmond gear pretending he was one of the faithful.
Seriously, what is with those quasi celebrities being annoying on the television scoreboard? Can we at least get former players or celebs who are actual supporters of the club instead of these muppets?

Also, that whole "MAKE SOME NOISE" crap was the absolute pits. If this sort of garbage becomes more prevalent, then the future of the cheer squad is indeed grim.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

thesaint3 wrote:Every game my kids and myself look over at the cs and say how perthitic.How many are there 20/30 if you lucky..
Yeah some weeks only 30 or so, isn't that just Perthitic.... :lol:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
thesaint3 wrote:Every game my kids and myself look over at the cs and say how perthitic.How many are there 20/30 if you lucky..
Yeah some weeks only 30 or so, isn't that just Perthitic.... :lol:
So are we talking about the West Coast games or the Freo games?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Brutal time:

At the recent GC game it reeked of a bunch of old bags and a few youngens.

When the banner was to be raised, old obese bum-things directed traffic whilst everyone else did the hard work.

Where is the fun in that?

If I am going to raise a banner, the last things I want to see in front of me are a few 'things' smack bang in my view directing me how to raise...a banner.

Outside looking in. It looks a suitable place to die a slow, ugly, obese death.

Young blood please.

PakenhamSaint
Club Player

What was the reason for the cheersquad putting the floggers away on Sunday. They had them out then about 30-40 mins before game time they moved them over to the race in the great southern stand.

To be honest I was disappointing with the lack of noise coming from the cheer squad. I was in the bay across and I couldn't hear them much. It sounded like some other supporters behind me were making more noise with the "ST-KILDA *clap clap clap* chant. I suspect though like many of us we are just wanting the season to end.

On match day stuff:
Geelong did something interesting during our visit down there they had on the screens a pre game show where they actually previewed the game.

And to be honest we arn't the only club lacking. Most Melbourne clubs are. Most have some sort of fan involvement thing and that's it.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

PakenhamSaint wrote:What was the reason for the cheersquad putting the floggers away on Sunday. They had them out then about 30-40 mins before game time they moved them over to the race in the great southern stand.

To be honest I was disappointing with the lack of noise coming from the cheer squad. I was in the bay across and I couldn't hear them much. It sounded like some other supporters behind me were making more noise with the "ST-KILDA *clap clap clap* chant. I suspect though like many of us we are just wanting the season to end.

On match day stuff:
Geelong did something interesting during our visit down there they had on the screens a pre game show where they actually previewed the game.

And to be honest we arn't the only club lacking. Most Melbourne clubs are. Most have some sort of fan involvement thing and that's it.
The floggers are pretty heavy as it is and when wet very heavy. They take a long time to dry and il be taking them to Adelaide his week and would of refused to have wet floggers in my car.

A lot of those people up the back were cheer squad members that did not want to sit in the rain.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Austinnn
Club Player

This is a subject I am passionate about, so please excuse me for this enormous rant which I'm recycling from 2012. I'm less positive about the cheers quad these days but the fact remains, at least they turn up. From what I'm reading on this thread, the club are partly to blame, but I think the answer has to come from us, not them. So here it is...
Austinnn wrote:I have had a lot to say on crowd support in the past, so I'll try and keep this brief:

IMO St Kilda is on the precipice. After it's 100 & so years of failure and pathos-ridden exploits interspersed with proud moments and great teams, and about 10 years of (mostly) highly professional progress, it currently sits in the bottom half of the 10 Victorian clubs.

We saved ourselves from bankrupcy and we survive, despite everything, but surviving will not be enough, we need to strengthen the support and revenue or this club may have to do more than play 2 or 3 games in NZ to survive.

Strenthening support is the key obviously. We need to attract new members. Believe it or not the people most integral to this happening are us, in a few different ways:

1) We need to have kids and give them the gift of StKilda heritage! Likewise to our sibling's children, and cousins' children. Create a family dynasty. How do we attract them? See point 2).

2) We need to go to games, and cheer and create a mad atmosphere that is ELECTRIC and INFECTIOUS. The sort of support that someone might see on TV or games and think "That looks like fun, I want to be part of that!"

3) If we do 2) properly, we will also create an environment that will inspire our team to greater victories and achievements, which will then inspire greater support. Collingwood and Adelaide are two examples of rabid home & away support (Crows less away for obvious reasons) that create a huge break for their team.

4) If we do 1), 2) & 3), we create huge bargaining power with the AFL and we get, to a certain extent, to dictate terms (e.g. Eddie McGuire).

Let's look at Point 2):

Loads of us here go to games. That's why we support a team in the first place. But how many of us really get out of our comfort zone to give loud and proud support to the team for the entirety of a game, every game? How many of us can be counted on for that support? It's easy to rock up in your normal clothes and have a few cheers with a couple of mates, and go home again, but the cheersquad do a lot more than that. Their lives seem to revolve entirely around the club. The effort that they have put in over the decades, through good times and bad, is immense and deserving of more respect that is shown here.

The fact that it is clearly not enough is not the fault of the cheersquad, but ALL THE OTHER SUPPORTERS. They are doing what they can, how many of us can say the same?

We need to create a cult that will be written about and focussed on on TV coverage, that will be Tweeted about, something like the Animal Enclosure but more positive. Here's how I'd do it:

First of all, it must NOT come from the club, it mustn't be official, otherwise it will be discounted as inauthentic and corporate. The cheersquad are required to be there, even though they are volunteers, they are part of the club organization. They need support from us.

We need chants. "Miiiiiilney!" and "Give us another one" are OK, it's the fact that they are the ONLY chants that annoys and embarrasses us. in the 3 pages and infinite threads I've read on this site, I've seen people bagging those chants but NOT ONE alternate suggestion. Weak. What's the matter, are you afraid your suggestion will be laughed at? Or maybe you have no imagination of your own? There are 22 players in our match day squad, we should have chants for at least half of those. They don't have to even be chants; remember that noise the Blues fans used to make whenever Ang Christou kicked the ball? That was when I first started watching footy, and I don't remember anything about the player, but I remember that sound! What does that tell you?

I want to see threads suggesting chants or songs or noises - it doesn't have to be Shakespere, the simpler the more effective it will be. Pick a tune that everyone knows and change the lyrics. If you want to see this done effectively look at the English Premier League. Even if all the songs are a variation of There's only one Tony Lockett, it's better than nothing. Don't wait for someone else to start it, you do it, get your mates to back you up. If it works, it will catch on and in a few months you'll have the whole crowd - or at least the red white and black section - doing it, you'll have the commentators remarking on it, you'll have kids doing it in the street. You'll even have the club picking it up and making it into a thing; look at the way the doggies used to use the WOOFometer or whatever it was called, or the way the Tigers use the Yellow and Black section of their song. But it's not easy to start something, knowing that you could be laughed at. That's what I mean about getting out of your comfort zone. I've got the ball rolling, have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76088 If you can do better, then by all means...

We need banners/flags. Dooley has already told us that the AFL are party poopers in that respect, so if they can't be big, make them effective in other ways. How many times have you seen the YOU BLOODY BEWDY banner or the one with the naked lady on Saints telecasts, or the girl who insists on telling the world that she's FREE FOR THE BROWNLOW. Good on those people! If only we had 100 times that number. So many wisecrackers on here, you're telling me you can't think of anything better than that? Dr Spaceman has got to be the go-to guy for banner copy, you could take every post that he writes and turn it into a banner. Even the Watter man signature that he's got would make a good one.

We need costumes. I'm not talking about the lame club merchandise, I'm talking about red white and black explosions of colour in the crowd, the more mental the better. If your kids want to dress up for it, let them and do it yourself. You can get changed at the ground. This one is the most full-on for commitment, and frankly a bit beyond me, but if there is anyone out there doing that, they should be celebrated, not ridiculed.

Most importantly, we need attitude. If you're dressed like a wizard holding a MILERA MAGIC banner and sat there like a bloody potato, no one will give a continental. Look at the Jiggling Saint. I've seen him on the telecast more than once, always positive, always enjoying the game, no matter what the score. I don't even know the guy, but he's a legend. He represents our club just as much as Nick Reiwoldt, perhaps more because long after Roo has stopped kicking goals, and long before I'd imagine, the Jiggster will be/was there on camera, giving it all for the club he loves. To look again at the English soccer, Portsmouth are a club notorious for the best support, even though they have a modest achievement.*

This last point about attitude is the most important. We have to know where the line is and conduct ourselves with self-respect, the absolute minimum of behavior that you would not like to see yourself at the games, like violent abuse or lewdness, you don't want to be That Guy picked out and kicked out. Also, negativity is not attractive; no one is going to want to join in with a bunch of whiners who pick out their own players. It's not accepting mediocrity, it's called support. Leave it to the club and the coach to give the players a kick up the arse. If they don't then their failure will manifest itself in St Kilda's achievements and they will eventually be replaced. Don't focus on abusing the opposition or the umpires either; that is boring. We have to represent our club with self-respect outside the stands as well, on Public Transport, in traffic, in pubs, in the street; walk tall, be proud, be loud but don't be a knob. Especially these days when someone could film you and stick you up on YouTube, Facebook or Twitter in a matter of minutes.

Stand together. Support anyone going for St Kilda who stands alone, who sings alone, who needs your help. 20'000 individuals are one thing. A giant monster with 20'000 heads is another, know what I mean? People love crowd movements, and so does the media, so the more unified we can be, the better chance we'll have of picking up new members to jump on the bandwagon.

OK Look, I tried to keep it brief. I failed. I also live in France, so there's no way I can do any of the things I'm suggesting. I used to go to games and yell support throughout the game - not always positively - but I can't now.

But instead of bagging the grannies who support our club, I think we need to provide support to that support. From other posts, it seems there are other areas of support, so if you're not the maverick type and you work better as a follower than a leader, why not join those other groups and help make their voices louder and the area wider.

AND If anyone tells you to shut up, you ask them to get involved or go home. And cheer louder. If you are abused, look for support from your fellow supporters. If you are kicked out, write to the AFL and tell them that their stewards are over policing the game, that without the supporters, the AFL wouldn't have any money and demand finals tickets as compensation, and send that letter to the media.

By the way, I also think we should petition the AFL to remove size restrictions on flags and banners.

*(they are on the brink of survival now, but that's more to do with the administration's appalling business decisions and private ownership, it couldn't happen in AFL)

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

By the way, anyone who thinks that we shouldn't expect any supporters to be passionate when the team is so weak, I'd counter that this is actually the PERFECT time to start a movement.

Firstly and most obviously, if we are passionate while the team is crap, we'll attract more attention from confused commentators and more respect because we're not just jumping on the bandwagon.

Secondly, when we can't count on the team to entertain us, it's best for us to entertain ourselves. I'm not talking about celebrating failure, I'm talking about having a good day/night out regardless of the score. It'll also give the more sheepish Saints fans something to feel good about. I like the idea of a cheersquad whose spirits can't be dampened, who are so crazy and off the wall that they can't be beaten down.

Finally because, long and short term, it will actually affect the players and club. If we make a cauldron, it will whip the players spirits up, it will intimidate the oppo, it will give our coaches some meat when they are giving the "Do It For The Fans" speech. It might be the 1% that tips the scales our way. Granted right now we need more than 1%...

Even the boss of AFL knows right now that match day attendance is as if not more important than membership, stop waiting for things to get better and make them better.

Show some spirit in the face of dross and disappointment, don't lie down and wait for 2018, our time is NOW.

PS laughed at Redeemer's expression 'bum things'.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
paulski
Club Player

The lack of passion from our current cheersquad is a real concern. I sit in the bay next to them and can't believe what I see most weeks. After exciting goals, I look at them for a reaction and see no passion from 95% of them. Some of the younger girls can't takes their eyes off their mobiles. There are a few young blokes but you wouldn't know it, they just sit there like zombies. Seems like only a few women chant and good on em, but it sounds shite.
There is young blood, but no passion. C'mon gen Y!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

paulski wrote:C'mon gen Y!
I think Gen-Y people are starting to grow out of things like cheer squads. Perhaps we need the Gen-Z supporters to start getting fired up for the Sainters?

Austinnn
Club Player

paulski wrote:The lack of passion from our current cheersquad is a real concern. I sit in the bay next to them and can't believe what I see most weeks. After exciting goals, I look at them for a reaction and see no passion from 95% of them. Some of the younger girls can't takes their eyes off their mobiles. There are a few young blokes but you wouldn't know it, they just sit there like zombies. Seems like only a few women chant and good on em, but it sounds shite.
There is young blood, but no passion. C'mon gen Y!
They need to be led. You need a few characters with enough guts and ego not to mind being looked at. Are we really expecting teenage girls to lead the charge?

BM's testimony about the old ladies using the cheer squad as sanctuary nearly made me cry. Talk about a twisted upside down world. Those women should feel safe but that cannot be what we base our cheer squad on. Just thinking about it now makes my stomach turn. We might as well go the way of Fitzroy if that's all we can do.

I'll break it down for us all: if we wait for someone else to do it, our club doesn't have a future.

It doesn't matter if you're the right demographic or not, forget about if you are the right image or not, if you have enough passion to argue on a fan forum day in day out, you have enough passion to sit in a crowd with a silly mask on going bananas for 2 hours while your team loses by 100 points again. You may well save this club, and actually have some fun; remember fun?

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

Here's a great quote from a similar discussion in 2011, the year after our last GF to put it in that sort of perspective. Back then Saintbrat commented that fan involvement can't have been linked to team performance because the Saints were flying high but still suffering support wise. Back then we thought it was Lyon's dour footy...
Moods wrote:I can speak from experience as a bloke who loves his footy but formerly supported a different club - until they went under :(

I wanted to be part of the club. Not so that I could go to club functions, or meet players, (that's never been my go) I wanted to be a member of a Victorian Club. A club that NEEDED my support, a club that when they finally succeeded I could be proudly say, I contributed to their success in a very tiny way. Supporting a club in the past that had a poor fan base, I wanted to be part of a group of passionate fans who flocked to games in numbers, and when I roared for that team it felt like I had at least half the stadium roaring with me, rather than the cheer squad and a couple of nanny's on the fence clapping politely. My fondest memories of supporting the Roys was sitting in The Kevin Murray Stand at The Junction Oval and yelling as a collective for our team. I recall going to Moorabbin and watching the Roys play the saints. I was always fascinated with the saints supporters. they always seemed as passionate as any supporter group we played against. They roared for blood whenever their team got a sniff and that big stand around the inner looked like it would collapse once they got on a roll. I hated them, but I actually loved them.... Wishing that my nomadic team's supporters could rustle up that enthusiasm. By the end of the 80's they were shunted off to various places and we were made fully aware at whatever ground we were at that this wasn't our home ground really, ie princes park, Vic park, western oval.

My point - the supporter group does play a role in my opinion. Get to games and roar for your team, create excitement, don't just politely clap. People go to the footy b/c they want to get involved, to lap up the atmosphere. We all hate the pies, but I'll say this about them - they never die wondering. I reckon saints supporters have lost this passion somewhat since about 2006. They have almost got used to success, and find it hard to get excited. The last game I can say that saints fans were truly up and about was Rd 14 2009. Let's generate that excitement, so that when neutral friends and family go with you to the footy they say, 'I want to be part of that...'

Have a read of the discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70956

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:They need to be led.
You can't invent these people though, they are either there, or they aren't.

There's no point stamping your foot from overseas and demanding people get passionate and go to the games…

I guess the club needs to actually recruit fans for the cheer squad.

Which clubs are doing this well and what they are doing?

Austinnn
Club Player

Is that right?
Because I can't do it myself I should just shut my trap and watch my club curl up and die? Right enough.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Is that right?
Because I can't do it myself I should just shut my trap and watch my club curl up and die? Right enough.
Not at all…

Just that saying…
Austinnn wrote:2) We need to go to games, and cheer and create a mad atmosphere that is ELECTRIC and INFECTIOUS. The sort of support that someone might see on TV or games and think "That looks like fun, I want to be part of that!"
doesn't mean anything.

I'm just not sure if someone on the internet telling you to go and be more passionate, support louder & go mad does anything?

I don't know what the answers are to be honest. How do we achieve that atmosphere?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The club could do heaps by offering free ticketed seats to CS members that would let members avoid the ridiculous ticketing cost. That would swell numbers from day one. Give them free professional flags, pom poms ....anything. Give them all half a bottle of Jim Beam at the end of each quarter and let the chaos rule....alright maybe too far.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We have a very quiet supporter base.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.