What should St Kilda's philosophy be on Trading this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

What should St Kilda's philosophy be on Trading this year?

Do we trade for players or do we trade for draft picks?

IMHO, at this stage of our rebuild we should trade for draft picks.

Pick 1 to GWS for pick 4 and 20.
Armo for pick 15 or better.
Gilbo for pick 25 or better.
Joey for pick 30 or better.

Then next year we can reassess.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What should St Kilda's philosophy be on Trading this yea

citywest wrote:Do we trade for players or do we trade for draft picks?

Yes I think we do all that and more. Maybe Jack for a top 10, Rooy a top 20 and Dempster a top 30. Read my signature.

andrewg
Club Player

Probably no a good idea in a weak draft...keep Armo. Trade the picks themselves...so pick 1 for 3 and a player

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

Yes I think we do all that and more. Maybe Jack for a top 10, Rooy a top 20 and Dempster a top 30. Read my signature.
I've already said we should trade everyone we can, delist the rest and use 38 picks in the draft. What could possibly go wrong?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
citywest

Well I think the strategy for this trade period and next should be to improve our draft picks. If this is achieved by trading our first pick and also trading Joey Armo and Gilbo then so be it. Then come 2016 2017 and 2018 we trade for players. 2019, 2020 and 2021 we then hit the Free Agents. 2022, 2023 and 2024 we Threepeat. :D

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Well I think the strategy for this trade period and next should be to improve our draft picks. If this is achieved by trading our first pick and also trading Joey Armo and Gilbo then so be it. Then come 2016 2017 and 2018 we trade for players. 2019, 2020 and 2021 we then hit the Free Agents. 2022, 2023 and 2024 we Threepeat. :D

Even if it is basically known its a weak draft? makes no sense as thinking you will get pick 15 for Armo. Didn't you like my idea of a top 10 for jack and a top 20 for rooy?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Reasonable suggestions. I think all three of those players are on the block if we get a good deal. I think we will continue to target some talented, younger players from GWS and look for a combination of picks/players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:

Reasonable suggestions. I think all three of those players are on the block if we get a good deal. I think we will continue to target some talented, younger players from GWS and look for a combination of picks/players.

Do we honestly want to get completely smashed every week because losing those players or even 2 out of 3 of them will assure that. You cant just keep losing players and keep supporters and sponsors. And if we did trade them it has to be for promising players and not only picks. And apart from Armo those picks are much higher than their actual worth anyway.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

This year we should take the best players available at each pick. With the trading we should be trying to the best picks we can.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Do we honestly want to get completely smashed every week because losing those players or even 2 out of 3 of them will assure that. You cant just keep losing players and keep supporters and sponsors. And if we did trade them it has to be for promising players and not only picks. And apart from Armo those picks are much higher than their actual worth anyway.
Well at least your response wasn't a troll effort like you gave citywest.

I don't believe our club will allow all those trades to happen. But I reckon they would be happy to move on one of Armo/Joey along with Gilbert if we get the right deal. Why do I think this? Are you aware of Chris Pelchen's draft strategy this year? He's mentioned on more than one occasion the club will endeavour to have 3 picks inside the first 21 and 5 inside the first 3 rounds. For that to occur we need to be active during trade period. I'm expecting some supporters to be unhappy with a popular player or two moved on, just like we've seen with Ben, BJ and Dal over the past couple of years.

In regards to value, citywest isn't far off. Perhaps a little optimistic. I think Gilbert is more a 30-40 and Armo 15-25. Joey I will agree with. I suspect a club like Hawthorn will be all over Armo to help cover their ageing mids (Mitchell, Sewell, Burgoyne and Hodge) who won't be around forever. Their first pick 18 could be used and I wouldn't be surprised if it is tabled.

In regards to getting smashed. Its already happening with or without the above mentioned players. I'm hoping for a big trade like Mitchell or Shiel to ease the loss of Armo, for example.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

pick 1 for 4 and 20 is idiotic.

pick 1 for sheil and pick 4

pick one for hannebery and mitchell

pick one for dangerfield and adelaides first.

Nothing less, or we just keep pick one

You are garbage - Enough said
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

last time pick one was traded, two of the players Hawthorn got were Hodge and Mitchell. Freo got Croad who went back to Hawthorn and won a flag in 2008.

Unless massive overs for us, we should not trade #1

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

Well at least your response wasn't a troll effort like you gave citywest.

I don't believe our club will allow all those trades to happen. But I reckon they would be happy to move on one of Armo/Joey along with Gilbert if we get the right deal. Why do I think this? Are you aware of Chris Pelchen's draft strategy this year? He's mentioned on more than one occasion the club will endeavour to have 3 picks inside the first 21 and 5 inside the first 3 rounds. For that to occur we need to be active during trade period. I'm expecting some supporters to be unhappy with a popular player or two moved on, just like we've seen with Ben, BJ and Dal over the past couple of years.

In regards to value, citywest isn't far off. Perhaps a little optimistic. I think Gilbert is more a 30-40 and Armo 15-25. Joey I will agree with. I suspect a club like Hawthorn will be all over Armo to help cover their ageing mids (Mitchell, Sewell, Burgoyne and Hodge) who won't be around forever. Their first pick 18 could be used and I wouldn't be surprised if it is tabled.

In regards to getting smashed. Its already happening with or without the above mentioned players. I'm hoping for a big trade like Mitchell or Shiel to ease the loss of Armo, for example.

If city west keeps writing crap IMO I will keep responding that way but thanks anyway. I will take it on board and then completely reject it as far as he is concerned. And yes im completely aware of Pelchen drafting strategy. Doesn't mean I agree with it at all. As for we are getting smashed anyway, well there is smashed and there is completely smashed. If we don't get any young star players and lose at least 2 of those players even though CW suggests all 3 then we will not win a game next season. That isn't what clubs need to do to eventually improve on and off the ground in coming seasons. Obviously if we get a player or two like you suggest then that's completely different but again it wasn't what CW suggested. He wants only draft picks in what people are saying is a weakish draft.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:pick 1 for 4 and 20 is idiotic.

I must admit I missed the 1 for 4 and 20. No way would I do that. Petracca is by far the best talent at his age in the country and the gap will widen even further when the combine is held.

PJ
SS Life Member

Apart from enthusiasts on here and bigfooty I haven't seen it written any where from people involved in recruiting that this draft is weak. Does anyone have any links to where this has been stated?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
defacto
Club Player

my philosphy would be to try and keep the bash and crash/leadership players, get into the draft early and get out by the 4th round. armo/steven are not tradeable IMO. armo because i think he is going to be invaluable as dunstan/ross + who ever else we pick up, settles in

i'd look at some player combos with the 3rd rounder/4th rounder. butcher + oshea is one i'd be looking at

i'd look at trading out some of the youth/mid aged players around 23-27 that other clubs would see potential in/a role for them.

players that i would part with given the right price that i think would have some currency at other clubs:
curren
stanley
gilbert
ray (no much currency)
siposs/simpkin (no real currency but gee you'd take anything for them)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well I think it is a given that Pelchen likes multi-deals whether for picks and/or players and so he will most likely try for such deals again this year.

Whether he can land one again this year is another matter.

Of the deals you suggest I think that you want overs for Joey and Armo. As a stodgey inside mid it would be hard to imagine any club being willing to play overs for him. Whereas in tat role Armo would be valuable to us for at least the next several seasons, and particularly when there is going to be a lot of young mids at the Saints. So his hard body will worth a lot to us.

Our second pick will be worth little to the Suns and GWS who are bot dripping with young talent. Only our first pick would be of interest to them.

However their 2nd picks and above will be of little use to them given their lists. So one could imagine deals where we pick up their second and/or later picks.

Losing our first pick this year would seem to me the most likely scenario to gain multiple picks or players.

Ben was a surprise last year. But not really a surprise when you look at his delivered form for us. I am not sure there will be more teams queuing up for our players who have deficiencies in their game (ie Ben is an ok, but slow follower who cannot ruck against a quality opponent).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
loris
Saintsational Legend

Don't know how much currency Gilbert would have at this years trades........................... Don't think clubs will be falling over themselves to offer up a second round pick, when the outcome of his op and injury are uncertain.

Maybe next year if he shows he is able to remain injury free (with his feet) he may have some currency in next years trade for a draft pick IMO

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

No more one dimensional small forward types.
No more Dennis Lanes Mileras or Saads.
Just have a look at recent GF's and the litany of failures by:
-Leon Davis
-Ballantyne
-Milne
_Jetta yesterday
We need fair dinkum midfielders and goalkickers will emerge from them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:No more one dimensional small forward types.
No more Dennis Lanes Mileras or Saads.
Just have a look at recent GF's and the litany of failures by:
-Leon Davis
-Ballantyne
-Milne
_Jetta yesterday
We need fair dinkum midfielders and goalkickers will emerge from them.

Yep those days are over for those types in big games. Footy will change where they are valuable again but it could be a while.

lewdogs
Club Player

People suggesting we trade Jack must be crazy. Our best young mid by a long way. And we trade him out? I would be ropable.

And whispers, in regard to Jetta he was poor yesterday but was brilliant in the 12 gf.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:pick 1 for 4 and 20 is idiotic.

pick one and our late second rounder for danger AND sloaney :D :D :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Forget about the no dick-heads policy.
Lets get a 'no poor kicks' policy.
I dont care about your personality if you can kick it well. Hawks have shown supreme kicking skills will beat all challengers. Not only do they all drill targets at training. They do it under serious pressure over and over again.

Plenty of our guys miss targets by hand and foot regularly when under no pressure at all - let alone pressure. You simply cant win games doing that no matter how much 'effort', tackles or ra ra ra your coach gets into you.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Forget about the no dick-heads policy.
Lets get a 'no poor kicks' policy.
I dont care about your personality if you can kick it well. Hawks have shown supreme kicking skills will beat all challengers. Not only do they all drill targets at training. They do it under serious pressure over and over again.

Plenty of our guys miss targets by hand and foot regularly when under no pressure at all - let alone pressure. You simply cant win games doing that no matter how much 'effort', tackles or ra ra ra your coach gets into you.
Guess it depends on your definition of "d**khead"
take a young Aker in a heartbeat
don't want Dustin Martin under any circumstances!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Id break both the 'no dickheads' and 'no bad kicks' policy if Toby Greene came knocking. Id drive up to GWS and escort him back in a Limo :D