GWS to get pick 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: GWS to get pick 1

are u having a pluggsy moment?

i was taking the piss!
8-)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Either way pick 1 wont be a saviour. We need to find 10 new good players in the next 3 years.
which is why I think they'll trade it.

Pelican knows its a numbers game - if he gets more in at higher end picks he speeds up the rebuild rather than going all out for 'the one' superstar pick who may/may not be the next Judd.

I think finally the model may be changing at St Kilda.....aka the days of the team sprinkled with 6-8 great players with 2-3 elite and then a sharp descent into mediocrity list wise may be over. I think Pelican wants multiple numbers of qulaity and later to go $$$ hunting for a star or 2 when we are near......

I hope he is right but I think its a flawed system. Champions and good depth win flags. A lot of good players gets you into the 7 but doesn't win flags. North are an example of that.
Nth made a prelim and have many young players with little finals experience - as Scott said and hes a flog but hes right, it takes a series or 2 before your kids understand. Nth will be ok but Harvey will drop sooner or later and I don't rate Wells when the chips are down and I think they shoulda kept Delany.

That aside their base is good to build from - they have quality but probably need to grab another gun defender. I think we might be base building first is my point as opposed to star shopping hence pelican wanting multiple picks not just 1. That said, hate to get picks 9 and 15 and see no 1 we pass up turn out to be Judd.........big risks either way.
They have quite a few defenders on the list including the other Delaney and Curran who is a decent defender also. They have Tippetts brother too as back up on the rookie list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:are u having a pluggsy moment?

i was taking the piss!
8-)

I think its called humour or sarcasm. Quite often goes over your head. Your fascination with me is a real worry though. Not for me but your family. Im quite excited by your fascination.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

in 2001 freemantle reckoned they were doing a great trade when they got trent croad and luke mcfarlane for picks 1, 20 and 36.....

......the hawks...who are still laughing.... got like hodge, a champion, two times premiership captain(plus anoter flag) and a duel norm smith medalist, daniel elstone...a dud...and sam mitchell... who is also a former captain of the club and a three times premiership player..

don't ffs trade the no 1 pick saints.....it will end in tears.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
evo
Club Player

Pick 1 to GWS = Player A, Pick 3 and 23.
Pick 3 to Sydney = Player B.
Insert appropriate names above...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Pick 1 to GWS = Player A, Pick 3 and 23.
i thought we wanted three picks inside the top 20...that gives us none....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
spot on
Club Player

Looking at petraccas highlights I think we will be really silly to trade pick one. I'd only consider if shields was involved and pick 3. We are going to see petraccas be a super star and he to always live with the fact we traded him. We need his star power at our club!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

oo oo mr beagley mr beagley!

pick 1 to GWS = Cameron, pick 3 and 23
pick 3 to swans = Parker

evo
Club Player

stinger wrote:
i thought we wanted three picks inside the top 20...that gives us none....

He also said that they will be raiding the northen clubs for key players. Can't have it both ways unless we trade some playes for picks.

spot on
Club Player

matrix wrote:

pick 3 to swans = Parker
There's some really crazy trades getting thrown up. Pick 1 for Cameron
Won't even happen .

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

matrix wrote:

pick 3 to swans = Parker
So that hypothetical trade would amount to (hypothetically)...

Out: Pick 1 (Petracca).
In: Cameron, Parker and pick 23.

Not sure if I'd do that or not, but gee..., infinitely way way way better than the straight swap proposals of Pick 1 for the likes of a Cameron, or the even more generous (though not to us :( ) suggestions of Pick 1 + a player and another of our picks for a Cameron type.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote:
skeptic wrote: Essentially what we would be losing is the player deemed as the next Chris Judd, remember that
If he is that good then its not worth trading him for anything. Literally Cameron + 4 is not worth a Judd level player IMO..

So it comes down to is Patracca really the next Judd, or do we see him as realistically a rung below?
I think the issue we must not forget, even if Petracca is as good as Judd, is that gun key forwards do not grow on trees.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
I think the issue we must not forget, even if Petracca is as good as Judd, is that gun key forwards do not grow on trees.
Gun key forwards are awesome so long as the ball comes down with enough quality and often enough. Prime example is Sydney yesterday. A forward line of Franklin, Tippett and Goodes but no chocolates because they were smashed in the midfield and contested ball.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Barry Brooks, Fergus Watts, Andrew Lovett, jury still out on Pelchan's trades, Saints haven't reaped much reward when trading first rounds picks.

Not confident trading pick 1 is a smart move.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

was pelchen at the club when Barry Brooks was round?

“Yeah….nah””
defacto
Club Player

Teflon wrote:was pelchen at the club when Barry Brooks was round?
nope. he joined mid season 2011

gringo
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:
So he used an evil mind control technique to lure GT in to those trades? He might actually have been at Port who turned our pick into Barry Brooks. I knew he was trouble.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Barry Brooks, Fergus Watts, Andrew Lovett, jury still out on Pelchan's trades, Saints haven't reaped much reward when trading first rounds picks.

Perhaps you meant:

The Saints haven't reaped much reward when trading first rounds picks: ie Barry Brooks, Fergus Watts and Andrew Lovett.
More recently the jury is still out on Pelchen's trades of first round picks as well.

I am not confident that trading a first round pick, let alone No 1, is a smart move.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:Barry Brooks, Fergus Watts, Andrew Lovett, jury still out on Pelchan's trades, Saints haven't reaped much reward when trading first rounds picks.

Perhaps you meant:

The Saints haven't reaped much reward when trading first rounds picks: ie Barry Brooks, Fergus Watts and Andrew Lovett.
More recently the jury is still out on Pelchen's trades of first round picks as well.

I am not confident that trading a first round pick, let alone No 1, is a smart move.
Obviously!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
andrewg
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
matrix wrote:

pick 3 to swans = Parker

Not sure if I'd do that or not, but gee..., infinitely way way way better than the straight swap proposals of Pick 1 for the likes of a Cameron, or the even more generous (though not to us :( ) suggestions of Pick 1 + a player and another of our picks for a Cameron type.
In Cameron Parker for pick 1.............wow that would be amazing, but my optimism can't can't that over the line. Just not going to happen

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:
defacto wrote:
So he used an evil mind control technique to lure GT in to those trades? He might actually have been at Port who turned our pick into Barry Brooks. I knew he was trouble.
Maybe Pelchen has a third eye.

Rosco
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
matrix wrote:

pick 3 to swans = Parker

I'm sure. Decided before my heart beated again.

It might not beat again if it happens though.

Schillaci
Club Player

Think we'll keep #1 but Parker, Cameron and #23 for #1 would be okay. Parker is a great player.
Can't see those trades happening though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:Think we'll keep #1 but Parker, Cameron and #23 for #1 would be okay. Parker is a great player.

That is obviously sarcasm saying Ok. Lets get a few things straight with trades. Cameron is a pick one plus a reasonably player, Parker is a pick one plus a reasonable player. Our best player for trading is Jack. He is, based on his best form, a top 10 player. We have no other players that are worth anything apart from first year players. Pick one is overrated if you can get a player with huge potential who is already in the system. This year, no matter what some say on here, there is no standout pick one. At the moment there is no next Judd or Franklin. That may change when number one gets in the system. If I was Pelchen then the one thing I wouldn't do is downgrade pick one for 2 picks unless one was top5 and the other top 10 but what I would look at is what Melbourne did last year or just trade pick one for a potential star. The other option is to keep it which I expect will happen.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Schillaci wrote:Think we'll keep #1 but Parker, Cameron and #23 for #1 would be okay. Parker is a great player.

That is obviously sarcasm saying Ok. Lets get a few things straight with trades. Cameron is a pick one plus a reasonably player, Parker is a pick one plus a reasonable player. Our best player for trading is Jack. He is, based on his best form, a top 10 player. We have no other players that are worth anything apart from first year players. Pick one is overrated if you can get a player with huge potential who is already in the system. This year, no matter what some say on here, there is no standout pick one. At the moment there is no next Judd or Franklin. That may change when number one gets in the system. If I was Pelchen then the one thing I wouldn't do is downgrade pick one for 2 picks unless one was top5 and the other top 10 but what I would look at is what Melbourne did last year or just trade pick one for a potential star. The other option is to keep it which I expect will happen.

Cameron yes is worth Pick one and maybe a sweetner but Parker is borderline Pick one at best.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL