which of our young players could become elite?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

which of our young players could become elite?

Meaning and All-Australian...considered in the top 24 players in the comp.

I know its early, but the only three i think could do it are Billings ,maybe Dunstan, and , controversially, Eli Templeton - who has all the attributes and reads the play very well.

Alot of others I can see could develop into very solid performers Longer, Newnes, Murdoch,Webster, Delaney, Wright, White, Acres

And still others good honest role players - Saunders, Curren, Stanley, Hickey, Bruce, Weller, Ross

We will be in major need of top quality - so on reflection, we should not stuff around with Pick#1 on trying to get 2 more good players....lets get an elite player (Ok would take Swans Parker for instance at 21yrs of age) or at least someone who promises to be that (Petracca).

Nee!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: which of our young players could become elite?

fugazi wrote:Meaning and All-Australian...considered in the top 24 players in the comp.

I know its early, but the only three i think could do it are Billings ,maybe Dunstan, and , controversially, Eli Templeton - who has all the attributes and reads the play very well.

Alot of others I can see could develop into very solid performers Longer, Newnes, Murdoch,Webster, Delaney, Wright, White, Acres

And still others good honest role players - Saunders, Curren, Stanley, Hickey, Bruce, Weller, Ross

We will be in major need of top quality - so on reflection, we should not stuff around with Pick#1 on trying to get 2 more good players....lets get an elite player (Ok would take Swans Parker for instance at 21yrs of age) or at least someone who promises to be that (Petracca).
Petracca, Acres, probably Billings.
Dunstan and Webster close to.
White could be anything.
Will take a few years, but just maybe Lew Peirce.
Play our cards smart... Cameron.

And another long shot... the opposite of a young player I know, but may just surprise and hang around a bit longer than people expect... if that knee holds up, there's no other physical reason why Roo couldn't play another 3-odd years at a very high level, and with the team picking up, may just be tempted to have one last tilt at a flag. :idea:

Thoughts?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Wigsy
Club Player

Actually elite, probably quite limited prior to last year. Billings has a lot of upside once he calms the nerves; his ability to be in the right place may be uncanny and I expect to see his touted contested marking come through too. Acres a possibility, Dunstan not in strict ability but a terrific fit for this list in his leadership and courage. I'm a huge wrap for Webster. Possibly Hickey. Newness just below. Plenty of really good foot soldiers amongst our 25+ young guys, not a heap of elites. Longer, White, Eli amongst some that might be above to well above average. But character is just key. And I think we've targeted that in the past two to three years and those are the ones that surprise.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
fugazi wrote:Meaning and All-Australian...considered in the top 24 players in the comp.

Petracca, Acres, probably Billings.
Dunstan and Webster close to.
White could be anything.
Will take a few years, but just maybe Lew Peirce.
Play our cards smart... Cameron.

And another long shot... the opposite of a young player I know, but may just surprise and hang around a bit longer than people expect... if that knee holds up, there's no other physical reason why Roo couldn't play another 3-odd years at a very high level, and with the team picking up, may just be tempted to have one last tilt at a flag. :idea:

Thoughts?
Dave its hard to discuss things seriously with you when you even slightly suggest Roo may have another shot at a flag. To win a flag you have to pass 17 other sides when you are bottom. Going by this years form and it seems the type of players we are recruiting we will probably win less games next season. The year after I see us again winning 3-5 so if Roo played 3 years I would see us in about Brisbane for WB position this year. Still at least 3 years from a flag chance. If Roo plays to 38 he is a slight chance. Anyway on topic I think Billings can be an AA. Like Acres and Dunstan but can onlt see Acres making AA which probably doesn't make sense based on this season but just like Acres footy build. I think it shows how far off we are. Most premiership sides would have at least 6 AA in it.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan
Acres
Billings
Templeton

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Dunstan
Acres
Billings

Hmm, can we push for another 3 picks in the top 20 and get another 3 elite players? It really shows how well we drafted last year.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Longer, Billings, Dunstan ,Acres. Think Newnes Wright and Webster could become elite in their roles while not necessarily being top 20 in the AFL.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Webster is my one pick. Does elite things. When he is 25 he will be, with luck, a very good footballer.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Billings & Acres IMO.

Billings - one touch, silky smooth skills on both feet. Will become a full-time midfielder once he fills out a bit. Needs to stop missing the easy ones though, that will come with experience.

Acres - I truly believe he can become the best player out of the 2013 draft crop, has Fyfe/Pendlebury class written all over him. I think his an absolute modern gem & can't wait to see him get a full run at it barring injuries etc.

andrewg
Club Player

Hickey
longer
Dunston
Acres
Billings
Webster
Newness
Definitely for me

Maybe
Ross
White
Write

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:Hickey
longer
Dunston
Acres
Billings
Webster
Newness
Definitely for me

Maybe
Ross
White
Write

Well if 2 of our ruckmen are going to be AA one will have to be at another club.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
longer
Dunston
Acres
Billings
Webster
Newness
Definitely for me

Maybe
Ross
White
Write

Well if 2 of our ruckmen are going to be AA one will have to be at another club.
Why's that?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Acres

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
longer
Dunston
Acres
Billings
Webster
Newness
Definitely for me

Maybe
Ross
White
Write

Why's that?

Because it just cant happen based on what we have seen so far. How could they even play in the same side let alone one playing well enough up forward to become an AA. If you could explain how it can happen im all ears.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
longer
Dunston
Acres
Billings
Webster
Newness
Definitely for me

Maybe
Ross
White
Write

Why's that?

Because it just cant happen based on what we have seen so far. How could they even play in the same side let alone one playing well enough up forward to become an AA. If you could explain how it can happen im all ears.
Very easily Hickey could get it in 2016 then the following year Longer gets it. Pretty simple really.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
longer
Dunston
Acres
Billings
Webster
Newness
Definitely for me

Maybe
Ross
White
Write

Why's that?

Very easily Hickey could get it in 2016 then the following year Longer gets it. Pretty simple really.

So Longer will stick around until 2017 even though he wont have played in 2016 because Hickey is dominating? No. Just admit it is impossible based of everything we have seen of both as forwards.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
longer
Dunston
Acres
Billings
Webster
Newness
Definitely for me

Maybe
Ross
White
Write

Why's that?

So Longer will stick around until 2017 even though he wont have played in 2016 because Hickey is dominating? No. Just admit it is impossible based of everything we have seen of both as forwards.

Im sure its not impossible.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Pick 1 in the 2015 draft to us will be AA

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
longer
Dunston
Acres
Billings
Webster
Newness
Definitely for me

Maybe
Ross
White
Write

Why's that?

Im sure its not impossible.
Ok you are right but im 99.9% sure it wont happen.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
longer
Dunston
Acres
Billings
Webster
Newness
Definitely for me

Maybe
Ross
White
Write

Why's that?

touche!