GWS: poor list management

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SuperDuper
Club Player

GWS: poor list management

besides the fact that I am not convinced that they have been picking the best available players (missed McRae, Wingard, Wines etc) .. that is easy to say with hindsight .. and the fact that they seem to trade out players for less than other clubs.. I just want to highlight that:

USING PICK 4 (plus more) on Griffen is list mismanagement.

We are now in a free agency epoch.
Players of Griffens experience are **available without giving up draft picks**

If they are doing their job, GWS should be able to recruit free agents *and* keep pick 4, 19 etc.

I would be livid if my club wasted early picks in this manner...
With free agency, guys older than 28 are simply not worth early draft picks any more..

GWS won't be challenging next year.. why don't they take pick 4, 19 etc?.... and tell Griffen to come up to Sydney once his contract ends..
i.e. next year...

they should have told him to suck it up one more year at the WBs, and come next year for nothing.... donuts

Not sure if they can put the genie back in the bottle now.. but it is just poor list management IMO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: GWS: poor list management

SuperDuper wrote:besides the fact that I am not convinced that they have been picking the best available players (missed McRae, Wingard, Wines etc) .. that is easy to say with hindsight .. and the fact that they seem to trade out players for less than other clubs.. I just want to highlight that:

USING PICK 4 (plus more) on Griffen is list mismanagement.

We are now in a free agency epoch.
Players of Griffens experience are **available without giving up draft picks**

If they are doing their job, GWS should be able to recruit free agents *and* keep pick 4, 19 etc.

I would be livid if my club wasted early picks in this manner...
With free agency, guys older than 28 are simply not worth early draft picks any more..

GWS won't be challenging next year.. why don't they take pick 4, 19 etc?.... and tell Griffen to come up to Sydney once his contract ends..
i.e. next year...

they should have told him to suck it up one more year at the WBs, and come next year for nothing.... donuts

Not sure if they can put the genie back in the bottle now.. but it is just poor list management IMO
Not really. They have plenty of young kids from previous picks. Its exactly what they should be doing now. Trading away those picks for experienced players so the kids learn more at training and also they learn to win. You cant just get a FA if they don't want to come to you and Griffin cant be got as a FA anyway. Its the perfect thing they are doing. They are in a completely different stage to our club.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

To me they are so full of talent they don't care. They won't use picks in the 20s and are chock full of talent. They probably have the best list on potential of any team. Much deeper than GCS. They have stacked to trade for years to come and now can just start adding some cream. Griffin at his best is a top 20 AFL player and would help them now. They get an upgrade on Josh Hunt types. If they can get into the bottom of the 8 next year no one will want to leave either. It might be great list management.

PJ
SS Life Member

Whether it's good or bad list management is yet to be seen. Griffen will be good for them in the short term but who knows when they're going to be challenging and if he'll still be around.

It seems they are now regarded as a viable destination by some players so they start to attract better options than some they've gone for. I think their bigger problem is attracting the punters and establishing themselves in NSW - they can't get AFL handouts on the scale they are currently getting forever.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

so is the deal done officially now?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SuperDuper
Club Player

Not denying that Griff will be good for them in the short term...

Just saying they can have their cake (pick 4) and eat it too (get a 28 year old star through free agency)

I agree, they won't take too many later picks anyway... but just throwing away pick 4 is poor IMO, and may bite them in the bum in the future.. who knows, maybe they have so many good players it does not matter... but there is no excuse for complacency... each decision on these types of early draft picks is crucial to each club that has them... these picks really shape destinies of clubs... you don't throw em away just because you "have a lot of talented kids"

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:Not denying that Griff will be good for them in the short term...

Just saying they can have their cake (pick 4) and eat it too (get a 28 year old star through free agency)

"
Can you make a list of such stars that are willing to go to GWS? From what I have observe is that they have it very hard to bag the elite free agents.

Personally I think that go an "in" on Griffen as their coach is an ex-doggie that is well known to Griffen. Pouncing now when Griffen was ripe for the plucking was very smart recruiting.

GWS are also now at a point where if they do not start tasting more onfield success that they could lose a batch of young talent from next seas.

Griffen is a type of player they lack and an elite one at that. Add in Patfull to stiffen up their defence and Mummy playing a full year, and they will bea team on the rise next year. Enthusiasm of their youngsters will start to boil, and then watch out in the seasons after that due to their stockpiled talent.

But have yet another bad year, and then it may just start to fall apart instead.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:Not denying that Griff will be good for them in the short term...

I agree, they won't take too many later picks anyway... but just throwing away pick 4 is poor IMO, and may bite them in the bum in the future.. who knows, maybe they have so many good players it does not matter... but there is no excuse for complacency... each decision on these types of early draft picks is crucial to each club that has them... these picks really shape destinies of clubs... you don't throw em away just because you "have a lot of talented kids"

How can you know that Griffin would be slightly available next year. he wants out this year and if he cant go to GWS he may go elsewhere or eventually stay. Any smart club, actually any club, grabs them while they an and so they should.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Now Tom Boyd wants out....their list could fall apart in a year or two

Nee!
defacto
Club Player

they just really needed one genuine superstar when they started out, like ablett for GC, someone to build around

they really need to get one up there, even if they pay considerable overs. if i was them i'd throw money at dangerfield