Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley for Pick #21

18 goals for the season. Equal 76th in the AFL.

Thats less goals than people such as Jesse White, Danyle Pearce, Jamie Cripps, Tyrone Vickory, Rhys Palmer, Joe Daniher.

I think we need to keep our strides on how good Rhys was this season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:big fwds who can take a grab few and far between
He's not a big forward's bootlace thus far, imo. Then again, predicting the future isn't an exact science

Razzledazzle

Inconsistency is definitely an issue. But I still believe that Rhys will rise to the occasion as the Club gets stronger in time. I see no value in a trade for pick 21. At least pick 14 and a player. Otherwise my bottom line is leave him where he is and hold the faith. Go Sainters ! !

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Far out.

If Freo traded pick 14 for him....

Rossco's list management coming to the fore..

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Legendary
Club Player

Stanley reminds me of Ashley Hansen from the Eagles - played about 8 or 9 years and 80-odd games, looked like a star about three times a year, but could never develop the consistency to become a regular. Ended up delisted at age 27.

If Rhys was stronger mentally and had more mongrel, I would back him in. But some of his games this year were no better than his first season in 2010.

He's not going to be a decisive factor in our future, and we've chosen to back Lee, White, Hickey, Membrey and our star 2016 free agent recruit to comprise our next premiership forward line. I'm personally comfortable with that.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Razzledazzle wrote:Inconsistency is definitely an issue. But I still believe that Rhys will rise to the occasion as the Club gets stronger in time. I see no value in a trade for pick 21. At least pick 14 and a player. Otherwise my bottom line is leave him where he is and hold the faith. Go Sainters ! !
highly over rating Stanley if you think pick 14 and a player .... in fact we are getting well overs doing it for pick 14 by its self...
pick 21 is prob fair (albeit maybe a tad under)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
matrix
Saintsational Legend

What pick do the crows have?
Ten?

Hmmm

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

we wont get 10 for him .... not unless we chuck in Milera and our pick 22

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Couldn't be bothered reading past page one so sorry if repeating things. Firstly Im not sure Jaxons can claim this one. Was on SEN right at that time though I believe he has some knowledge of trades going from Ben last year.

Anyway 21 is overs for Stanley however that doesn't make the trade a good one. Pick 21 is a very maybe pick. We have spent 6 years getting this guy better and he is slowly improving so that has to be thought of. Secondly we lose our only second ruckman. That is a huge loss. Losing him as a forward isn't a great loss. Its touch and go. They will obviously trade him but I think it isn't a great move. If anyone has any ideas who can help in the ruck I would be very interested.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:18 goals for the season. Equal 76th in the AFL.

Thats less goals than people such as Jesse White, Danyle Pearce, Jamie Cripps, Tyrone Vickory, Rhys Palmer, Joe Daniher.

I think we need to keep our strides on how good Rhys was this season.

We're saying there is some light at the end of the Tunnel our season was Shocking as a whole, no one is saying he was outstanding, but he is getting better.

No doubt about that.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

bigcarl wrote: Then again, predicting the future isn't an exact science
It's not ??!! Well the, there you go, we may have to rethink our strategy as I was sure it was based on an accurate understanding of future events... :shock:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Beekay
SS Life Member

BREAKING NEWS... Trade completed:

OUT: Plugger66's little brother syndrome toward Jaxon.
IN: Barks4Eva back as a regular poster next season.

Line ball. Thoughts?

saintbob
SS Life Member

I personally would be very reluctant to unload him, as I think he will only get better.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:BREAKING NEWS... Trade completed:

Line ball. Thoughts?
Gonna have to need a source. 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Line ball. Thoughts?

Strange reaction. Jaxons broke the Ben trade last year and I acknowledged it. Im not going to rap him up on something that was on SEN at that time.

FQF
SS Life Member

Anyone thinking that Stanley might be on the table because we are getting Boyd?

GWS about to release an 'updated statement' on Boyd...

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Couldn't be bothered reading past page one so sorry if repeating things. Firstly Im not sure Jaxons can claim this one. Was on SEN right at that time though I believe he has some knowledge of trades going from Ben last year.

Anyway 21 is overs for Stanley however that doesn't make the trade a good one. Pick 21 is a very maybe pick. We have spent 6 years getting this guy better and he is slowly improving so that has to be thought of. Secondly we lose our only second ruckman. That is a huge loss. Losing him as a forward isn't a great loss. Its touch and go. They will obviously trade him but I think it isn't a great move. If anyone has any ideas who can help in the ruck I would be very interested.
Jaxon's is the man (or woman) Plugger, you have to admit, the way he/she comes in with no bull*** just says things as he/she hears it...I love it. It's like the forums own personal deepthroat :-)) the intrigue his/her statements carry, it makes it feel like we (saintsatiuonalists) are part of a covert operation :-)

I knew you'd be down about Stanley and your lack of faith in any of our other Rucks pushing forward - well, if the Stanley trade happens, next year and the year after will really put your theory to the litmus test. Lets hope your wrong for the sake of the team developing better balance and being more competitive!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Anyone thinking that Stanley might be on the table because we are getting Boyd?

GWS about to release an 'updated statement' on Boyd...

No not at all.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

An opposition poster on the Saints board at bf had an interesting take.
GetDimmaBack, post: 35707069, member: 58291 wrote:
I just read that "a number of clubs" have enquired about him.

Are they all wrong?

Sometimes we underrate our own, but talk up ordinary players from other clubs.
Man, I'm a Dog boy. Trust me - I know.
Last edited by Bunk_Moreland on Tue 14 Oct 2014 4:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

You are garbage - Enough said
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Couldn't be bothered reading past page one so sorry if repeating things. Firstly Im not sure Jaxons can claim this one. Was on SEN right at that time though I believe he has some knowledge of trades going from Ben last year.

plugger so let me get this right ...
losing him as a forward is no great loss (i totally agree)
but losing him as a ruck is a huge loss ?
so you rate his ruck work higher than Longer and a fit Hickey ?

honestly i would rate Stanley as a very average ruckman/potentially servicable forward would rather run with Hick and Longer as 1 & 2 ruckmen .. we have Pierce who hopefully is going to be pushing for a call up at some stage in the next year and a half and honestly while we rebuild its been shown we are not afraid to give the kids big jobs to learn off them - 6 years we have been developing Stanley and yeah he is now just starting to show something but its not exactly a ground shaking breakout as yet

lastly you say pick 21 is a veru maybe pick ... you could say every pick (pick 1 included) is a maybe pick but we have stated we are going to build through the draft so in order to do that we gotta that the risk on pick and picks closer to the start are going to give us a better chance of finding a real quallity player

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:

Jaxon's is the man (or woman) Plugger, you have to admit, the way he/she comes in with no bull*** just says things as he/she hears it...I love it. It's like the forums own personal deepthroat :-)) the intrigue his/her statements carry, it makes it feel like we (saintsatiuonalists) are part of a covert operation :-)

I knew you'd be down about Stanley and your lack of faith in any of our other Rucks pushing forward - well, if the Stanley trade happens, next year and the year after will really put your theory to the litmus test. Lets hope your wrong for the sake of the team developing better balance and being more competitive!!

Jaxons is my hero. And I hope I am wrong about the other ruckmen but if im not god knows what happens to our ruckmen during the game.

Beekay
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:

Line ball. Thoughts?
Gonna have to need a source. 8-)

My mate is very close to Plugger's Sensei, who teaches Plugger in the mysterious learnings of forwards who can part time ruck (and vice versa).
Last edited by Beekay on Tue 14 Oct 2014 4:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:

plugger so let me get this right ...

honestly i would rate Stanley as a very average ruckman/potentially servicable forward would rather run with Hick and Longer as 1 & 2 ruckmen .. we have Pierce who hopefully is going to be pushing for a call up at some stage in the next year and a half and honestly while we rebuild its been shown we are not afraid to give the kids big jobs to learn off them - 6 years we have been developing Stanley and yeah he is now just starting to show something but its not exactly a ground shaking breakout as yet

lastly you say pick 21 is a veru maybe pick ... you could say every pick (pick 1 included) is a maybe pick but we have stated we are going to build through the draft so in order to do that we gotta that the risk on pick and picks closer to the start are going to give us a better chance of finding a real quallity player

Can you tell me the forward set up with Stanley now gone? Of course every pick is a maybe pick but 21 s a third into the draft. Its a one in 3 pick that the player will play 100 games. That makes it a real maybe pick.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:

Jaxons is my hero. And I hope I am wrong about the other ruckmen but if im not god knows what happens to our ruckmen during the game.
i would say the same thing that would happen with stanley still in the team ... lets be honest we wont win anymore hitouts to advantage with Rhys then we will without him - our boys will still get dominated by the bigger more experianced rucks with or without Rhys and our mids will still kick it to Roo with two players defending him with or without rhys ... so basically nothing changes really

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:plugger so let me get this right ...
I'll have a crack at this if you don't mind plugger ...

Rhys is a very handy second ruck/average key forward. In the days where 2 actual ruckmen don't play together (so we won't see much of Hickey and Longer in the same side) losing Rhys can hurt us. He can fill in as a first ruck at a pinch.

As just a key forward he is no great loss, the game against Freo notwithstanding. A really good game from Rhys as a KPF is pretty rare.

I reckon that's what plugger meant, and if so I agree with him. If we lose Rhys we have no second ruck/forward option that I can think of, and the way the game is played these days we need one.