Saints- Pass or Fail for Trade Period?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints- Pass or Fail for Trade Period?

evertonfc wrote:Fail.

Because we had a huge chance to bolster our list with some bargains - O'Rourke, Jacksch, Lowden, Giles - and didn't make any of them happen.

We then never had a sniff of the big-ticket deals.

Stanley for 21 was a fair trade, but at a time when our list needs to be upgraded significantly with elite youth at every turn for the next three years - free agency, trade week, draft day, rookie draft - we failed to make it happen.
Why don't we pull off the big ticket deals?

Is our club currently on the nose as we have a mortgage on 18th again next year?

Maybe the trade tide will slowly turn in our favor next year as we start to slowly upswing

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Think you may find the big ticket item will line up for us in 2016. In the meantime it's all about bolstering the midfield.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:Think you may find the big ticket item will line up for us in 2016. In the meantime it's all about bolstering the midfield.
So you're thinking Petracca with pick 1?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Think you may find the big ticket item will line up for us in 2016. In the meantime it's all about bolstering the midfield.

hope you are right...but then again...you have the runs on the board...unlike others i could mention.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
mordiboyz
Club Player

Was hoping we would do better.

Thought the currency for Stanley was just about right.

Think other clubs see the Pelican from a mile off now and are a little wary of deals.

So just a Pass for me.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Unfortunately, at the end of the trade period, we are stuck with the best young player in the country.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I think it was a below average rating...not getting either of Jaksch, Frost or O'Rourke Is an indictment on the club.

I truly believe the Seaford facility would be akin to Western Sydney to the players and a significant turn off in the lads wanting to come to the Saints regardless of money offered !
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Thu 16 Oct 2014 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

We'll get a blue-chip player with pick one.

Then we have three other picks. Last seven years:

Pick 21: Impey, Hrovat, (Tom Mitchell), Jed Lamb, Bastinac, Ballantyne, Addam Maric
Pick 22: Darcy Gardiner, Towers, Bootsma, (Mitch Wallis), Weedon, Trengove (Port), Scott Selwood
pick 41: Jake Koldjashnij, Mason Wood, Mitch Grigg, (Tom Liberatore), Ayden Kennedy, Todd Banfield, James Polkinghorne

https://www.draftguru.com.au/search/picks/21+22+41

So there's every chance of getting at least a couple of solid players with those three picks. It's not all doom and gloom though there's plenty of work still to do for the recruiting team.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
andrewg wrote:
bergholt wrote:IN: Petracca, Membrey, players picked at 21, 22, 41
OUT: Stanley

I don't really see how that leaves our list in worse shape going forward?
spot on
it's in worse shape today......not going forward...today...as opposed to before the trade period....
We don't have to play a game today. Who cares what our list looks like halfway through the offseason?

suss
Club Player

It all sounds like a very Melbourne approach to me. Let's sit on the bottom of the ladder and be good at some point years in the future.

sainter#4
Club Player

really disappointed with trade week as a whole. The club told us we would be aggressive in our endeavours to improve our list - But i feel like we are worse off!!

We were nowhere near the mark in regards to Boyd, We in my opinion were not aggressive enough in trying to get picks 4,6,7 off GWS.

O'rourke, Caddy,Jaksch, Adams,Boyd..... NO ONE THAT IS AS TALENTED AS THESE GUYS HAVE SAID THEY WANTED TO COME TO US.

also whilst I'm not disagreeing with the stanley trade, i just feel like its left our list balance in a crazy spot. So do we kill Tom Lee in the ruck next year? Or Bruce? Or do we sit down and try play Longer with Hickey and rotate them between forward and ruck? - Because that didn't work last year with Mcevoy and Hickey so why will it change.

I don't mean to feel and be negative but I am just frustrated and disappointed with our attempts and trade week as a whole. The club IMO had an opportunity to really speed up there rebuild and i don't think Petracca and 21/22 will do it. Which btw Petracca now has a lot to live up to, because if he is a bust - then i fear it will be a Melbourne style rebuild for us

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

sainter#4 wrote:O'rourke, Caddy,Jaksch, Adams,Boyd..... NO ONE THAT IS AS TALENTED AS THESE GUYS HAVE SAID THEY WANTED TO COME TO US.
Well, we finished last and we have no money. Not too surprising. If we were playing finals it would be different.

saint6709
Club Player

stinger wrote:

hope you are right...but then again...you have the runs on the board...unlike others i could mention.... :wink: :wink: :wink:
I have already posted a 'fail' as I think we didn't achieve anything - as someone has already said we went in with pick 1 and came out with pick 1 - I was also a fan of Stanley and thought ( as I have already posted) we had other tradeable and more expendable options - who might not have got 21 but might have got a decent pick and if not, I would have kept Stanley over pick 21.

Having said all that and upon reflection and in the light of the above quotes - if Pelchen is playing the long game - and I think that is pretty a safe bet - then this period has at least said he won't fold and trade last minute to get a deal done, if he has already said he wouldn't and if he feels its not the right deal for the club - and maybe that will count for something in the next couple of years. I always think if you want something at the right price you have to haggle and if you want to be good at it, you have to be prepared to walk away empty handed - even if you actually wanted the item! Anyway I digress.....

saint6709
Club Player

stinger wrote:

I have already posted a 'fail' as I think we didn't achieve anything - as someone has already said we went in with pick 1 and came out with pick 1 - I was also a fan of Stanley and thought ( as I have already posted) we had other tradeable and more expendable options - who might not have got 21 but might have got a decent pick and if not, I would have kept Stanley over pick 21.

Having said all that and upon reflection and in the light of the above quotes - if Pelchen is playing the long game - and I think that is pretty a safe bet - then this period has at least said he won't fold and trade last minute to get a deal done, if he has already said he wouldn't and if he feels its not the right deal for the club - and maybe that will count for something in the next couple of years. I always think if you want something at the right price you have to haggle and if you want to be good at it, you have to be prepared to walk away empty handed - even if you actually wanted the item! Anyway I digress.....

citywest

Massive fail in my opinion. GWS offered picks 4 and 7 for pick 1. I can not believe they rejected this. They are gutless in my opinion. Scared that Petracca MAY be better than who we would have got at 4 and 7 and they would look silly. What they don't realize is that you need to dare to win. They didn't dare so we didn't win.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
stinger wrote:
andrewg wrote:
bergholt wrote:IN: Petracca, Membrey, players picked at 21, 22, 41
OUT: Stanley

I don't really see how that leaves our list in worse shape going forward?
spot on
it's in worse shape today......not going forward...today...as opposed to before the trade period....
We don't have to play a game today. Who cares what our list looks like halfway through the offseason?
the qestion was ...pass or fail...the list is in worse shape today...so fail....bit too complex for you too understand....??? :wink:

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Membrey for free - Can't complain there
Stanley for pick 21 - Unbelievable return on an ordinary footballer
Keep pick 1 - Best u18 player in the country will be wearing the RW&B

Massive win. What would've made it a loss is if we bent over for GWS & traded pick 1 for 4 & 7. No thanks. Yes it would've been nice to get 4, 6 & 7 however ultimately it was not tabled.

Royston
Club Player

I reckon you have been pretty harsh here.....how would anyone know apart from the inner sanctum what our 'aggression' level was when dealing with GWS to get picks 4,6,7 for pick 1. The fact it didn't happen means we stood our ground.

I'm glad we didn't go Boyd.....7 yrs & $7mill.....you are kidding....what would you want our offer to be?
Then where does that leave Spencer, Bruce, Lee and all our forward plans.....we know we will chase a FA next year, undoubtably
It will be a key forward.

If Petracca is a bust then the other 17 clubs got it wrong also, along with all the U18 watchers, draft aficionados....

Patience & faith.....

sainter#4 wrote:really disappointed with trade week as a whole. The club told us we would be aggressive in our endeavours to improve our list - But i feel like we are worse off!!

We were nowhere near the mark in regards to Boyd, We in my opinion were not aggressive enough in trying to get picks 4,6,7 off GWS.

O'rourke, Caddy,Jaksch, Adams,Boyd..... NO ONE THAT IS AS TALENTED AS THESE GUYS HAVE SAID THEY WANTED TO COME TO US.

also whilst I'm not disagreeing with the stanley trade, i just feel like its left our list balance in a crazy spot. So do we kill Tom Lee in the ruck next year? Or Bruce? Or do we sit down and try play Longer with Hickey and rotate them between forward and ruck? - Because that didn't work last year with Mcevoy and Hickey so why will it change.

I don't mean to feel and be negative but I am just frustrated and disappointed with our attempts and trade week as a whole. The club IMO had an opportunity to really speed up there rebuild and i don't think Petracca and 21/22 will do it. Which btw Petracca now has a lot to live up to, because if he is a bust - then i fear it will be a Melbourne style rebuild for us
Last edited by Royston on Thu 16 Oct 2014 7:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote:I reckon you have been pretty harsh here.....how would anyone know apart from the inner sanctum what our 'aggression' level was when dealing with GWS to get picks 4,6,7 for pick 1. The fact it didn't happen means we stood our ground.

I'm glad we didn't go Boyd.....7 yrs & $7mill.....you are kidding....what you you want our offer to be?
Then where's that leave Spencer, Bruce, Lee and all our forward plans.....we know we will chase a FA next year, undoubtably
It will be a key forward.

If Petracca is a bust then the other 17 clubs got it wrong also, along with all the U18 watchers, draft aficionados....

Patience & faith.....
That is it.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Membrey for free - Can't complain there

Massive win. What would've made it a loss is if we bent over for GWS & traded pick 1 for 4 & 7. No thanks. Yes it would've been nice to get 4, 6 & 7 however ultimately it was not tabled.
we already had pick 1 going into the trade period.
we don't have membrey yet
imhfo we got unders for stanley who we have just invested six years of development in.

massive fail...imhfo......

the only upside for me is that they held on to pick 1 and weren't bent over as they usually are.....

evo
Club Player

Fail for me. Loosing Lenny and Stanley and gaining Membray is not imroving our list. No 1 DP had better be better than 4 & 7 combined if thats what we knocked back. For a side sitting on the bottom of the ladder it was a poor trade period IMHO.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Membrey for free - Can't complain there

we already had pick 1 going into the trade period.
we don't have membrey yet
imhfo we got unders for stanley who we have just invested six years of development in.

massive fail...imhfo......

the only upside for me is that they held on to pick 1 and weren't bent over as they usually are.....
The club has publicly stated we will take Membrey in the PSD. Work was done prior & during trade period to secure Membrey for zilch. I'm including him. 8-)

Not sure where you are going with pick 1. On one hand you say we already had it & on the other hand you say we held onto it? A win by maintaining access to the best u18 kid in the country. We could've really stuffed this up & we didn't. :D

Stanley. We will agree to disagree. I reckon at a pinch he's worth is around 30-40 & we received 21. Most people out there think we won big. You should read the Cats fans on their BigFooty board. :shock:
Last edited by Old Mate on Thu 16 Oct 2014 7:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

aaron82
Club Player

Stanley was dropped to Sandringham mid season for poor form, his biggest issue is his lack of intensity. At times he looks like he could tear a game a new one. He will take a spectacular mark in the first qtr and then go missing. At 3 qtr time you'd be wondering where the hell has he been.

I'm happy for us to take our chances on pick 21 and hopefully pick up more midfielders. Sadly we are so far behind nearly every other team for quality midfielders.

and that's the bottom line
CarlD
Club Player

Boyd may turn out to be a very good player but it will be interesting to see whether it creates any unrest at the Bulldogs with their other young guns and what they think they are worth in comparison. It's a big punt on a young player who hasn't shown a lot as yet. If the Saints are going to throw that sort of money around I would prefer it was for someone with more of a track record.